Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Colour
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Selina
Yeah, because Wikipedia is biased towards American English in almost every article. So I thought Wikipedia Review having English would be a bit appropriate wink.gif

Of course the way they justify this is it's "whoever gets there first" (see http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour?action=history&limit=500 esp the first edit, you'll need to go the next page). But of course with the vast majority of editors being American (they used to even acknowledge this on Wikipedia:WikiProject Countering systemic bias#The_origins_of_bias) this means a large bias towards American language.
Mndrew
Isn't it standard to begin articles which have different spellings in American to not devote the entire first sentence to this matter?

Something like:
Colour (spelled color in American English) is a visual sensation that discriminates between photons of different wavelengths...
It's what Encyclopaedia Britannica seems to do. There shouldn't be any hizzy about this. But then again, this is Wikipedia...

Why can't they implement a system whereby all words are changed in an article to reflect English or American spellings depending on the user's preferences? I can't imagine it would be hard at all; it would just need to be a server-side manipulation of the text before it is sent to the user.
Alison
QUOTE(Selina @ Thu 20th December 2007, 12:39am) *

Yeah, because Wikipedia is biased towards American English in almost every article. So I thought Wikipedia Review having English would be a bit appropriate wink.gif

Of course the way they justify this is it's "whoever gets there first" (see http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour?action=history&limit=500 esp the first edit, you'll need to go the next page). But of course with the vast majority of editors being American (they used to even acknowledge this on Wikipedia:WikiProject Countering systemic bias#The_origins_of_bias) this means a large bias towards American language.

We get that all the time on Irish and British articles, as people are apt to "correct" the spelling from British-English or Irish-English to American-English. Mayhem usually ensues. And this happens again and again and again ....
Poetlister
And people correcting articles about Northern Ireland to Irish Nationalist terminology.
Alison
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Thu 20th December 2007, 7:58am) *

And people correcting articles about Northern Ireland to Irish Nationalist terminology.

Oh absolutely. And the capitalisation of "volunteer". mad.gif And the battles over Derry / Londonderry, etc, etc ....
SirFozzie
Ere we go again! Why the bloody hell do I get dragged into all these fights... *sighs*
LamontStormstar
WR should do a wordfilter to put a u after every o.
The Joy
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Fri 21st December 2007, 7:26pm) *

WR should do a wordfilter to put a u after every o.

Lamountstourmstar? The Jouy? Soumey? jourge? Pouetlister? Jounny?

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Thu 20th December 2007, 3:59pm) *

Ere we go again! Why the bloody hell do I get dragged into all these fights... *sighs*

You should not have volunteered to bolster cooperative collaboration amongst the Northern Irish, SirFozzie! wink.gif
michael
I thought this was going to be about the very lame Orange (colour) war.
The Joy
QUOTE(michael @ Fri 21st December 2007, 9:22pm) *

I vaguely remember that. What happened exactly?
Nathan
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 21st December 2007, 9:12pm) *

You should not have volunteered to bolster cooperative collaboration amongst the Northern Irish, SirFozzie! wink.gif

Or you could just call on Gerry Adams. wink.gif
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 21st December 2007, 7:25pm) *

Damn. One article is an exception to the rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_%28colour%29 is all British spelling.

The Joy
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 5:00pm) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 21st December 2007, 7:25pm) *

Damn. One article is an exception to the rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_%28colour%29 is all British spelling.

Curses! Apparently the colo(u)r orange has great significance in Northern Ireland! You'll never be free of the N. Irish editors, Sir Fozzie! But orange you glad that The Troubles 1 ArbCom is over until The Troubles 2 starts? sad.gif

I saw that Alison finally made it to the main page as a powerful tropical storm. Good job, Alison. Though they did misspell your name...
Yehudi
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 10:00pm) *

One article is an exception to the rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_%28colour%29 is all British spelling.

There are quite a few articles I've seen with British spelling, and people who alter it being told to buzz off. As with everything, it's who owns the article.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Sun 23rd December 2007, 1:48pm) *

There are quite a few articles I've seen with British spelling, and people who alter it being told to buzz off. As with everything, it's who owns the article.

At least that is allowed ownership, an imperfect way of resolving the issue of it being neither a British , Canadian, Australian or American edition of an encyclopedia.

You can also have fun arguing on places like Worcester
SirFozzie
QUOTE(The Joy @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 5:42pm) *

Curses! Apparently the colo(u)r orange has great significance in Northern Ireland! You'll never be free of the N. Irish editors, Sir Fozzie! But orange you glad that The Troubles 1 ArbCom is over until The Troubles 2 starts? sad.gif

I saw that Alison finally made it to the main page as a powerful tropical storm. Good job, Alison. Though they did misspell your name...

Ah yes, the Orange Order. Yet another page I have on my watchlist due to incidents wink.gif

At least this latest one was resolved fairly easily. All we needed to do is to have ArbCom clarify what the word uninvolved meant.; What's that line from Clinton?

"It depends on what your definition of "is", is."

The funny thing is, I had one editor who got pulled into this during the whole ArbCom case asked me where in Ireland I lived, because that's the impression he got from my edits. (No I don't live in Ireland, never even been there, the closest I've ever come is to watch Hurling and Gaelic Football on US Television (on Setanta Sports North America) smile.gif

If I had known what I was getting myself into when I agreed to mentor the original user in this.. well, I'D LIKE to think that I would have still gotten myself involved in it.. but I would have placed a bulk order for Rolaids at the time wink.gif
Yehudi
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 24th December 2007, 3:59pm) *

No I don't live in Ireland, never even been there, the closest I've ever come is to watch Hurling and Gaelic Football on US Television (on Setanta Sports North America

One of the main reasons that Northern Ireland went through what it did is that the IRA was financed by thousands and thousands of Americans, presumably nearly all of Irish descent, who'd never even been there.
dtobias
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 24th December 2007, 10:59am) *

(No I don't live in Ireland, never even been there, the closest I've ever come is to watch Hurling and Gaelic Football on US Television (on Setanta Sports North America) smile.gif

Hurling is a sport in Ireland? I guess it follows a night of drinking in their pubs.
SirFozzie
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 24th December 2007, 12:28pm) *

(No I don't live in Ireland, never even been there, the closest I've ever come is to watch Hurling and Gaelic Football on US Television (on Setanta Sports North America) smile.gif

Hurling is a sport in Ireland? I guess it follows a night of drinking in their pubs.

Laughs. Hurling is a fun sport to watch for the first time. It's like Field Hockey, with everyone allowed to use their hurley (the stick), like a baseball bat to hit the ball in mid air. Needless to say, everyone now wears helmets.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 24th December 2007, 5:52pm) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 24th December 2007, 12:28pm) *

Laughs. Hurling is a fun sport to watch for the first time. It's like Field Hockey, with everyone allowed to use their hurley (the stick), like a baseball bat to hit the ball in mid air. Needless to say, everyone now wears helmets.

Closest North American sport is lacrosse, I believe, although Shinty (another Gaelic sport) is closer to that. The Aussies play something similar derived from either hurling or shinty, but I cannot remember the name.

Fuck. This is the non-encyclopedia site, isn't it?
Poetlister
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Tue 25th December 2007, 9:56pm) *

This is the non-encyclopedia site, isn't it?

That's relative.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.