Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carolyn Doran was the daughter of a CIA agent
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
the fieryangel
copying this from another thread, as this deserves it's own discussion :

Here is the obit for her father:

FORUM Image

The address of James L. Bothwell in the 1991 Association of Former Intelligence Officers membership directory is 6512 11th Avenue W., Bradenton, FL 34209

So, what does this mean??
BobbyBombastic
for those who didn't see , here is the article and relevant quote regarding this information.

Even partial details she shared in the office hinted at a complex tale.

Danny Wool, a former Wikimedia staffer who described Doran as personable, stylish and funny, recalled that she revealed being the daughter of a CIA official. That is supported by a 1992 Washington Post obituary on the CIA's James Bothwell, listing daughter Carolyn Bothwell as a survivor.

Doran also had a picture on her desk of her late husband - intelligence officer Sean Doran, a former CIA employee and air force major who drowned on their honeymoon in the Cayman Islands in 1999.

So what does all this "dad was a CIA agent and later I decided to marry one and he decided to drown on our honeymoon" business mean? I don't know, but here is a boring possibility

Daddy was married three times (?), and there is a ton of kids fighting for daddy's attention. She had/has been seeking daddy's love, approval and affection for quite some time-so it's not surprising that she would hook up (or try to) with a person affiliated with the cia, someone that reminds her of her father.

When you find out that Sean Doran apparently drowned to death (dont have to swim to be in the Air Force or CIA, I guess), and Ms Doran's documented disregard for the law, that's where it gets creepier.

Or at least that's my pop psychology opinion.

Put it this way: If Jimbo (using Jimbo to symbolize the Foundation) is the one person Carolyn decided not to "fuck over" then I'd be plenty surprised.
AB
Wow. If you are going to judge people by their
family members, you should probably hate me.
jorge
I suppose we now have to ask whether Mrs Doran had or might have had access to wikipedia ip logs and/or checkuser and any other data associated with wikipedia user accounts i.e. passwords, watchlists etc.?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 4:15am) *

I suppose we now have to ask whether Mrs Doran had or might have had access to wikipedia ip logs and/or checkuser and any other data associated with wikipedia user accounts i.e. passwords, watchlists etc.?

I think that this is a pretty serious question, but it should be asked, yes.
Miltopia
This seems just a bit paranoid. Let's not over extend ourselves.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 3:15am) *

Wow. This is interesting.

I maintain that it is strange she was hired out of Virginia for what was supposedly a temp job.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 10:49am) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 3:15am) *

Wow. This is interesting.

I maintain that it is strange she was hired out of Virginia for what was supposedly a temp job.

It seems that she moved down to Florida before she started working at WMF (actually several months before). So, I don't think that part can be called odd. What is odd is being named COO after only four months as a "temp" bookkeeper. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

This woman has numerous connections to the US Intelligence community. It can't all just be coincidence....
Disillusioned Lackey
In any other situation, with a wildly successful startup, I might say "gosh, anything can happen". Ive seen people hired for jobs and go straight to the top, just because they were there.

But with the criminal record and the CIA stuff, it is pretty strange stuff.

One thing is for sure. If there were truly some "spooky things" going on at Wikipedia, poking Brandt with a stick was about the dumbest thing they could have done. I mean, please. It's like "hello, we're here, and we can write about you", and then what do you think he's going to do. Ignore you?
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 1:49am) *

And that a lot of this drama unfolds in Loudoun County, Virginia, which is Spooksville, USA.
Moulton
What's the lowdown on Loudoun?
Yehudi
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 4:00pm) *

What's the lowdown on Loudoun?

It's quite near Washington DC so lots of federal civil servant types live there. It has been claimed that many of these are intelligence types.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 9:51am) *

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 1:49am) *

And that a lot of this drama unfolds in Loudoun County, Virginia, which is Spooksville, USA.

I dont know as Ive never lived around there, but I that that the entire VA, MD, NC areas were government zones. Why is Loudoun specifically spookville? Proximity to Langley?

If she had some agency links, then why put her in as COO? Color me dense, but please explain, thx. Because as I see it, the main power is either editing, Arbcom or Jimbo.
anthony
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 10:19am) *

It seems that she moved down to Florida before she started working at WMF (actually several months before). So, I don't think that part can be called odd. What is odd is being named COO after only four months as a "temp" bookkeeper. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

Has the name of the temp agency been revealed?

Naming her COO was a bad move, but it basically fits in with the way the board was running things those days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.