Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Durova does good
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Durova
thekohser
It looks like Durova spent some quality time to create this article about an aspect of crocheting. It's really a very nice article!

Why couldn't she just keep to doing things like that? You know, "stick to her knitting"? Wikipedia would be so much better off.

Greg
LamontStormstar
Man that's a lot of showing preview
Moulton
Why does the image of Madame LaFarge and mutterings of "Guillotine! Guillotine!" run through my mind like a video earworm?

Mebbe I'm just a crotchety old man.

Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 12:47am) *

It looks like Durova spent some quality time to create this article about an aspect of crocheting. It's really a very nice article!

Why couldn't she just keep to doing things like that? You know, "stick to her knitting"? Wikipedia would be so much better off.

Greg

She's a fine writer and contributor.

It's just that most of what she does is play policewoman.

And it ain't pretty.

She's no Charlie's angel.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 6:47am) *

Because being a powerful administrator is more psychologically rewarding than being an exemplary and productive contributor.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 5:48am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 6:47am) *

Because being a powerful administrator is more psychologically rewarding than being an exemplary and productive contributor.

First of all, I think it is important to note that Irwin is coaching her to back down from the administrator things. She isn't capable of doing it on her own. It is an addiction.

Second of all, her hobbies (grandma things like crocheting and small arts - which are fine things, but not generally seen as "cool"), and interest in historical things, don't get her the attention she craves.

But it's not only the power she craves. It is crushing people with it. Lots of people have the power. They just don't crush people with it. The irony of it all is Durova worships heroines like Joan of Arc, when her behavior on Wikipedia would put her among Joan's torturers.

Poor Durova (who has almost no self awareness) doesn't realize that Joan suffered for good. Durova doesn't konw the difference between fighting for Jimbo or fighting for the good. She thinks she is fighting for Jimbo (hence the attention payoff), but really, she's fighting because she doesn't kow what else to do with herself.

Jimbo's punishment is that he's cursed with her as his spokesperson until the day she croaks. I don't think he has the heart to tell her she's embarassing. Even Jimbo has his limits, and telling Durova the truth is outside them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.