Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WikiNews : a reliable source???
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
the fieryangel
In his role as the Wikipedia version of Clark Kent, David Shankbone has asked King Jimbo to rule whether his WikiNews interviews are to be considered Reliable Sources ™ or not... And he's been pushing really hard in Main space to get people to accept that these interviews are indeed in a "reliable source"...

Discussion has been rather mixed, to put it lightly....

Shankbone's whole point being that since he's got a real, genuine Press Card issued by Jimbo and Co in addition to the decoder rings and superhero capes issued to all regular cabal members (not to mention "all the koolaid you can drink...), that he just absolutely must be considered a reliable source!

However, what kind of horrible precedent would this set? The mind reels...

And guess what???? Jimbo wants to help! And YOU can help him help!

He's helping by saying that "all editors are equal, but some editors are more equal than others":

I am arguing strongly for appropriately limited use of Wikinews as a source at Wikipedia. The key bullet points that I think wikinewsies can help with would be by creating a page of "best practices" and some quick explanations for Wikipedians about those "best practices". For example, WP:V can be best satisfied for interview articles when the full audio is posted alongside the edited interview. That more or less answers any plausible objections as to verifiability.

Some at Wikipedia seem to be imagining a straw man position in which Wikinewsies would argue for citability of everything on wikinews, but we are not talking about that, but talking about citing a very narrow range of work that conforms to "best practices". I am sure that both Wikinewsies and Wikipedians share a feeling of horror at the notion that we might have an embarassing situation where a Wikinewsie is posting fake interviews and Wikipedians trust it... and so everyone needs to think hard about best practices to minimize the odds of that happening.--Jimbo Wales 00:10, 25 December 2007 (UTC)

So, that's right, Kiddies! Just keep drinkin' the koolaid and you too can have your real genuine WIKINEWS press card and be considered a reliable source!
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 26th December 2007, 7:39am) *

...And guess what???? Jimbo wants to help! And YOU can help him help!

He's helping by saying that "all editors are equal, but some editors are more equal than others":

I am sure that both Wikinewsies and Wikipedians share a feeling of horror at the notion that we might have an embarassing situation where a Wikinewsie is posting fake interviews and Wikipedians trust it... and so everyone needs to think hard about best practices to minimize the odds of that happening.--Jimbo Wales 00:10, 25 December 2007 (UTC)

I prefer to maximize the odds of that happening, Jimbo. Which female WRette wants to be interviewed as Carolyn Doran against my role as interviewer Dana Carvey (I do a fairly good impression of most of Carvey's skit characters)? We can conduct the interview on a recorded telephone line and post that next to our Wikinews transcript, so there's "verifiable" proof that this interview actually took place. We may need someone to write the script for this. I'm thinking that Doran would best be interviewed (at least for a portion of the dialogue) by Carvey's sanctimonious "Church Lady" character.

Carvey: <affecting "Church Lady" voice> Carolyn, you must have had some influence to be driving under the influence so often. Now, who could it be? Could it be…SATAN? Or, worse, Jimbo Wales?"

Doran: I'm sorry, could you repeat the question? My ankle monitor keeps interfering with my cordless phone, and you broke up there.

Hilarity ensues.
Moulton
But seriously folks, I think it would behoove WikipediaVille to take up the issue of best practices in the context of achieving respectable levels of accuracy, excellence, and ethics in online journalism.
Poetlister
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 26th December 2007, 3:04pm) *

Which female WRette wants to be interviewed as Carolyn Doran against my role as interviewer Dana Carvey

We'd need someone who can do the right accent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.