Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Champs Sports
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
So, here's something really funny, if you ask me. Wikipedia has an extensive article about the Champs Sports Bowl (most recently seeing Michigan State defeated by Boston College -- grrrr!), but only has this recently created stub about Champs Sports (the company sponsoring the bowl game).

In my mind, the long-standing company employing thousands of people and sponsoring a one-day football contest is, in the grand scheme of things, a more important entity than the football contest. But that's just me.

Apparently, editor Kannie thinks Wikipedia should not have an article about Champs Sports.

Here are User:Kannie's credentials as a production editor of a Top Ten website encyclopedia:

Personally, I'm an unschooled teenager, who is also an animal lover, book worm, vegetarian, a wannabe vegan, and mildly physically disabled, and mild-moderately mentally ill. Politically, I'm a pro-choice, Dean democrat who is interested speifically (sic) in disability rights and more broadly in human rights. Spirtually, I'm a recovering Christian, and am interested in both atheism and buddhism. Of course, being as young as I am, I'm only starting to get to know myself, and words can only describe so much.

Let's all hope that the Champs Sports stub is quickly deleted, rather than improved. Good job, Kannie!

Greg
dtobias
Things that have avid fans tend to be better-covered on Wikipedia, and football bowl games are more likely to have avid fans than store chains. That's just the way things work. (Of course, having avid fans hasn't stopped webcomic articles from being deleted, so that doesn't always work either.)
thekohser
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sat 29th December 2007, 4:24pm) *

Things that have avid fans tend to be better-covered on Wikipedia, and football bowl games are more likely to have avid fans than store chains. That's just the way things work. (Of course, having avid fans hasn't stopped webcomic articles from being deleted, so that doesn't always work either.)

While I recognize your point, Dan, I'm doubtful there are truly any large number of "fans" of the Champs Sports Bowl, per se. Sure, fans of the teams that have ever played in that particular bowl game; but, the Bowl itself? I'd venture a guess that there are fewer than a dozen "fans" of that bowl's presence and history, other than employees and family of that bowl's operational team.

Anyway, compare the number of 15-24 year olds (Wikipedia's most avid authors) who have ever attended the Champs Sports Bowl, versus those who have ever worked at or shopped at a Champs Sports store. I'll bet the latter outnumber the former by 20-to-1.

Greg
Yehudi
The publicity of the Bowl ought to be enough to confer notability. We had a similar case in England. Cricket test matches are obviously notable. Nobody had heard of Cornhill Insurance until they started sponsoring the tests, which became known as Cornhill Tests. I haven't checked whether there is a Cornhil Insurance article, but it would be difficult to delete it if there were.

dtobias
Bowl games do sometimes have avid local boosters, particularly if they're in a town that has little other sports of national importance. This one, though, seems to have already moved from one city to another (Miami to Orlando) in its relatively brief history, and both of those cities have a multiplicity of other sports activities, so the bowl probably doesn't figure highly in the local community. In the case of a bowl in a middling-size town without that much else going on, which has been in the same place since the 1970s or 1980s, there may be a good deal of local pride in it.
thekohser
Phew... I'm worried that my point is being entirely missed. I am happy that Wikipedia has a lovely article about the Champs Sports Bowl. I'm happy that someone had recently started a stub about Champs Sports. I'm not happy that an "unschooled teenager" who is "mild-moderately mentally ill" sought to delete -- nay, speedy delete -- the stub about a company with 600 stores and a football bowl sponsorship, rather than either (1) just leave it alone, or (2) take 5 minutes to try to improve the stub.

Apart from living persons who don't want to be in Wikipedia, I am very much an inclusionist.

Greg
guy
You can't stop people who are mentally ill from editing Wikipedia (at least, it's not officially grounds for a block), and such people will of course do stupid things from time to time. However, any competent admin will sort things out, as indeed happened here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=180491252
east.718
I wasn't aware it was possible for me to be competent after a fifth of Stoli.
Poetlister
QUOTE(east.718 @ Mon 31st December 2007, 2:35am) *

I wasn't aware it was possible for me to be competent after a fifth of Stoli.

Wow - so you did the right thing despite not being competent.
Yehudi
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 30th December 2007, 11:45pm) *

any competent admin will sort things out

But what if it's not one of this minority who finds the speedy delete notice? I speak as one who has had three speedy deletes, one while I was editing the article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.