Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo implying that vandals may be winning?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
badlydrawnjeff
It's not as much of a stretch as one might think. Note this talk page comment:

High schools are problematic because there are typically no reliable sources but also because these kinds of articles are typically magnets for BLP-violating vandalism. I still maintain, of course, that there is a big difference between not wanting thousands and thousands of bot-generating articles. But I am less sanguine about the possibility of being able to create and maintain good high quality articles on schools.

Outside of the false statement that there aren't reliable sources on schools, this is the first time I've seen anyone in the power structure talk against encyclopedia growth based on the possibility of vandalism.

On one hand, he's not wrong on the idea of high quality articles on things that are of interest to young folks - my losing battles on the Princess Diaries and Gossip Girls books (I'm a librarian, not a creep) were good enough evidence for me - but at the same time, to go on record as say "Yeah, I'm not sure we can actually make good articles on this based on "BLP-violating vandalism" is quite defeatist.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Tue 1st January 2008, 1:32pm) *

It's not as much of a stretch as one might think. Note this talk page comment:

High schools are problematic because there are typically no reliable sources but also because these kinds of articles are typically magnets for BLP-violating vandalism. I still maintain, of course, that there is a big difference between not wanting thousands and thousands of bot-generating articles. But I am less sanguine about the possibility of being able to create and maintain good high quality articles on schools.

Outside of the false statement that there aren't reliable sources on schools, this is the first time I've seen anyone in the power structure talk against encyclopedia growth based on the possibility of vandalism.

On one hand, he's not wrong on the idea of high quality articles on things that are of interest to young folks - my losing battles on the Princess Diaries and Gossip Girls books (I'm a librarian, not a creep) were good enough evidence for me - but at the same time, to go on record as say "Yeah, I'm not sure we can actually make good articles on this based on "BLP-violating vandalism" is quite defeatist.

Well surely the dynamic of producing low-grade juvenile articles "defended" by low grade-juvenile
patrolers had to break down at some point. Every Ponzi scheme does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.