Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time To End The IP Hararsement
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
How Did It Come To This?

Well, you might begin here:

User:12.75.22.13&action=history

The Anonymous IP User:12.75.22.13 keeps being listed as a sockpuppet of Jon Awbrey, but the Anon IP in question has no edits whatever in its contribution history!

So WITDIGOH !?

Does some clever WikiPrivateDick think that it's cute to associate an IP Address with my IRL name?

Really, folks, any WP:Gumshoe who wants to know where any Real Person lives these days can pretty much find them in the phone book, dontcha think?

So the only sense I can see to this practice is pure and simple harassment, and hardly of me, who is more than used to it by now, but harassment of a whole population of innocent bystanders who get assigned that IP Address, willye nillye, on a dynamic random basis.

Well, that just about cuts it for me.

So I'm calling a Block-In Protest against Wikipedia.

I'll be using every IP Address that comes my way from this day forward to join the previously called Writers' Strike.

And I e-courage those few of you present who still have any gonads left to do the same.

Jon Awbrey, Address Unknown
Moulton
Is this another episode of WP:WHEE! (Wikipedia Hellions Emasculation Epic)?
Oracle
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 4:06pm) *

How Did It Come To This?

Well, you might begin here:

User:12.75.22.13&action=history

The Anonymous IP User:12.75.22.13 keeps being listed as a sockpuppet of Jon Awbrey, but the Anon IP in question has no edits whatever in its contribution history!

So WITDIGOH !?

Does some clever WikiPrivateDick think that it's cute to associate an IP Address with my IRL name?

Really, folks, any WP:Gumshoe who wants to know where any Real Person lives these days can pretty much find them in the phone book, dontcha think?

So the only sense I can see to this practice is pure and simple harassment, and hardly of me, who is more than used to it by now, but harassment of a whole population of innocent bystanders who get assigned that IP Address, willye nillye, on a dynamic random basis.

Well, that just about cuts it for me.

So I'm calling a Block-In Protest against Wikipedia.

I'll be using every IP Address that comes my way from this day forward to join the previously called Writers' Strike.

And I e-courage those few of you present who still have any gonads left to do the same.

Jon Awbrey, Address Unknown

I don't like what they are doing so I think I'll just attempt to revoke GFDL, pick up my marbles (articles) and go home. Seriously, to remove content like that, that you gave your word to license to GFDL. If we don't have our good name, then we having nothing. You speak of your name, but what are you doing to your good name, sir?

Connaître est puissance, oui Monsieur Johnny ?

O
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Oracle @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 12:11pm) *

I don't like what they are doing so I think I'll just attempt to revoke GFDL, pick up my marbles (articles) and go home. Seriously, to remove content like that, that you gave your word to license to GFDL. If we don't have our good name, then we having nothing. You speak of your name, but what are you doing to your good name, sir?

O

Thank you for explaining what a strike is, 'cause I'm sure it's a novel concept to grass-roots populists of a certain generation.

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
This Just In —

Jonny cool.gif
Eleland
Gee, maybe he has only deleted contributions which don't show up?

Maybe nobody in his right mind gives a shit about this anyway?
thekohser
Oracle, do you feel that the Wikimedia Foundation (hosting Awbrey's creative output) is doing an adequate job upholding the terms of the GFDL license? Have you even read the license?

Greg
guy
Oh dear. They've protected the user page. Now Moe Epsilon can't redirect it to the talk page! ohmy.gif
Oracle
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 5:32pm) *

QUOTE(Oracle @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 12:11pm) *

O

Thank you for explaining what a strike is, 'cause I'm sure it's a novel concept to grass-roots populists of a certain generation.

Jonny cool.gif

I did not explain a strike to you sir.

-- paste--
Strike:
To stop working to achieve better working conditions.
-- end paste --

There is a difference between strike and sabotage.

O

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 6:03pm) *

Oracle, do you feel that the Wikimedia Foundation (hosting Awbrey's creative output) is doing an adequate job upholding the terms of the GFDL license? Have you even read the license?

Greg

Greg,
I'm here contributing at WR of my own will as my own person and not as a representative of any group. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent the foundation, its projects, any other agency, group, or person.

That being said - I think they do their best. Yes, I've read the GFDL.

Oracle
Amarkov
Jonny isn't proposing to revoke his GFDL license and take his articles away. The problem is that said license is not being upheld, and he therefore objects to the site hosting his content. Wikipedia does not own the copyright, and therefore he has a right to get his content removed if the GFDL is not followed.
Nathan
Way ahead of you. I already use every IP I can get my hands on.

(Since I only - and rarely - correct typos and spelling errors, nobody can trace me - I think I like it better this way. It keeps 'em guessing.)
Jonny Cache
I know I've said this like 50 times already, but these Strike Calls have nothing to do with GFDL. The letter of that license will become relevant the day that Wikipediots As A Hole (WAAH) begin to honor its spirit — a likelihood that weighs in at a Vanishing Asymptotic Probability (VAP).

But I realize that some viewers have but recently wandered into our theatre of re-enlightenment, so give me a chance to dig up a few old links by way of bringing our new arrivals up to speed.

Jon Awbrey
Amarkov
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 2:44pm) *

I know I've said this like 50 times already, but these Strike Calls have nothing to do with GFDL. The letter of that license will be become relevant the day that Wikipediots As A Hole (WAAH) begin to honor its spirit — a likelihood that weighs in at a Vanishing Asymptotic Probability (VAP).

But I realize that some viewers have but recently wandered into our theatre of re-enlightenment, so give me a chance to dig up a few old links by way of bringing our new arrivals up to speed.

Jon Awbrey

That may be, but the only possible way to get Wikipedians to accept it is pointing out that they are violating the license. I didn't intend to say that it would be perfectly acceptable if only they had picked a different license.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 5:47pm) *

I know I've said this like 50 times already, but these Strike Calls have nothing to do with GFDL. The letter of that license will become relevant the day that Wikipediots As A Hole (WAAH) begin to honor its spirit — a likelihood that weighs in at a Vanishing Asymptotic Probability (VAP).

Jon Awbrey

That may be, but the only possible way to get Wikipedians to accept it is pointing out that they are violating the license. I didn't intend to say that it would be perfectly acceptable if only they had picked a different license.

Good Gosh, did you think I was talking to Wikipediots?

Jon Awbrey
Amarkov
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 2:56pm) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 5:47pm) *

Jon Awbrey

Jon Awbrey

Good Gosh, did you notice that I was?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 6:25pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 2:56pm) *

Jon Awbrey

Good Gosh, did you notice that I was?

Well, good luck with that.

Jonny cool.gif
Viridae
The ip has no edits at all, deleted or otherwise. Someon more familiar with checkuser might be able to explain how the hell that IP comes up when it hasn't edited.
Amarkov
QUOTE(Viridae @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 8:59pm) *

The ip has no edits at all, deleted or otherwise. Someon more familiar with checkuser might be able to explain how the hell that IP comes up when it hasn't edited.

If I understand how checkuser works, it will show all IPs that someone has used to edit from, whether or not those IPs have edited by themselves.
Oracle
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 5:03am) *

If I understand how checkuser works, it will show all IPs that someone has used to edit from, whether or not those IPs have edited by themselves.

As a courtesy

MediaWiki checkuser extension documentation

O
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 12:03am) *

The IP has no edits at all, deleted or otherwise. Someone more familiar with checkuser might be able to explain how the hell that IP comes up when it hasn't edited.

Did you even read what you just wrote?

Jonny cool.gif
Amarkov
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 2nd January 2008, 9:20pm) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 12:03am) *

The IP has no edits at all, deleted or otherwise. Someone more familiar with checkuser might be able to explain how the hell that IP comes up when it hasn't edited.

Did you even read what you just wrote?

Jonny cool.gif

Well, it made a lot more sense when I was distracted...
Viridae
Oh scuse me - idiotic of me. Of course, that IP has presumably been associated with one of the JA accounts, because presumably a sock account, or one that is thought to be one, has edited using that ip.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Viridae @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 12:26am) *

Oh scuse me — idiotic of me. Of course, that IP has presumably been associated with one of the JA accounts, because presumably a sock account, or one that is thought to be one, has edited using that IP.

There are no edits from that IP.

Jonny cool.gif
Achromatic
No, what he means is "that a user banned, or a sockpuppet thereof, may at some point in time, used that IP address as a logged in user", not just a 'random IP address'/anonymous user. Obviously if you had that IP address at some point, edited, while logged in as you, your edits are going to come up as you, not "ip.ad.dr.ess". But (as is the whole point of Checkuser), the DB knows that that was you (at that point).

The issue of it being an address allocated to AT&T and the several thousand people it could be? Well, that's another matter altogether.
The Joy
QUOTE(Achromatic @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 12:39am) *

No, what he means is "that a user banned, or a sockpuppet thereof, may at some point in time, used that IP address as a logged in user", not just a 'random IP address'/anonymous user. Obviously if you had that IP address at some point, edited, while logged in as you, your edits are going to come up as you, not "ip.ad.dr.ess". But (as is the whole point of Checkuser), the DB knows that that was you (at that point).

The issue of it being an address allocated to AT&T and the several thousand people it could be? Well, that's another matter altogether.

Preemptive Sock Banning?

Isn't that a little extreme?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Achromatic @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 12:39am) *

Thanks, that clears that part up.

It also stretches the meaning of the word "sockpuppet" beyond all sensible bounds.

Then again, wiki-par for the course.

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
Cutting through all the fog, what I suspected at the outset is now revealed to be true, that publishing checkuser data in this way is purely and simply nothing more than yet another tool that Wikipedia Management uses to harass users.

Jonny cool.gif
privatemusings
some more interesting stuff from my perspective.

Apparantly checkuser was used in my case to identify a) accounts that had been created, but never used and cool.gif accounts that hadn't edited for several months - but that I may have logged in with...

the implications are fairly clear to me.....

I'm in kinda off and on discussions with the Foundation - pursuing a related complaint, and am keen to get a sensible answer to this one.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 1:19am) *

some more interesting stuff from my perspective.

Apparently checkuser was used in my case to identify [a] accounts that had been created, but never used and [b] accounts that hadn't edited for several months — but that I may have logged in with …

the implications are fairly clear to me …

I'm in kinda off and on discussions with the Foundation — pursuing a related complaint, and am keen to get a sensible answer to this one.

I neither confirm nor deny the use of any alternate accounts, but I do have enough data to know that a whole lot of what they say about checkuser is utter fabrication.

Surprise, surprise …

Jonny cool.gif
dogbiscuit
It does seem to be a little hard to grasp for some, so in plain English:

There is nothing particularly clever about the IP and user id system in WikiMedia. All edits have the IP and user name stored in the database. Anyone with suitable database access rights can query the database to retrieve the IP and user name (and I am under the impression that some people who know more than I about WP methods have access to various versions of Wikipedia through DB dumps and whatever where IPs are not redacted). However, CheckUser is basically a ready made query that anyone with CheckUser authority can run.

So the point is, if an IP has made no edits, there is nothing for a CheckUser query to retrieve. Raul is therefore making things up, and indeed is being very stupid - standard form for the Evil Cabal.
Oracle
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 5:03am) *

What? o.O

O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.