Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aelle of Sussex
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Emperor
Nice flub in the featured article today. Aelle of Sussex is reported to have fought the "Britons", with a link included to "Brython". Follow the link, the the Brythons are described as having been pre-Roman.

Links:
Aelle of Sussex
Brython
everyking
You don't know what you're talking about. The article is correct.
Amarkov
The Britons were pre-Roman in the same sense that the Native Americans were pre-colony. The Britons did not cease to exist after the Roman Empire was established any more than Native Americans ceased to exist after European colonies were established.
Emperor
In the Aelle article, the link from "Britons" leads to "Brython". Read the intro to Brython. This link implies that the Saxons fought against pre-roman, Celtic-speaking people named Brythons.
Amarkov
QUOTE(Emperor @ Sun 6th January 2008, 10:31pm) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Mon 7th January 2008, 12:24am) *

The Britons were pre-Roman in the same sense that the Native Americans were pre-colony. The Britons did not cease to exist after the Roman Empire was established any more than Native Americans ceased to exist after European colonies were established.

In the Aelle article, the link from "Britons" leads to "Brython". Read the intro to Brython. This link implies that the Saxons fought against pre-roman, Celtic-speaking people named Brythons.

The intro might, but it's made quite clear later in the article that the term does not apply only to pre-Romans. And in the context of history, "Briton" and "Brython" are nearly synonymous.
Emperor
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Mon 7th January 2008, 1:42am) *

The intro might, but it's made quite clear later in the article that the term does not apply only to pre-Romans. And in the context of history, "Briton" and "Brython" are nearly synonymous.

I think you're looking at the article for Briton. You need to follow the link, which goes to Brython.
msharma
QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 7th January 2008, 6:46am) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Mon 7th January 2008, 1:42am) *

I think you're looking at the article for Briton. You need to follow the link, which goes to Brython.

The problem is not the FA on Aelle of Sussex but the very non-FA on Brython.
jorge
Maybe they should have linked to Romano-Britons?
Kyaa the Catlord
QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 7th January 2008, 6:48am) *

I wonder if I'd get in trouble if I slapped a "this article needs real-world context" warning on that page. tongue.gif
Emperor
QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 7th January 2008, 8:48am) *

yes.
Bruce Reynolds
QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 7th January 2008, 4:47am) *

This comment seems to be the slogan for many editors at Wikipedia.

The sentence in the OP article is an example of what a friend of mine used to call "true, but not useful". Most people use "Briton" to refer to them scurvy Limeys over there now, not to Picts or Angled Saxophones or whatever.

Derktar
QUOTE(Bruce Reynolds @ Mon 7th January 2008, 4:28pm) *

The sentence in the OP article is an example of what a friend of mine used to call "true, but not useful". Most people use "Briton" to refer to them scurvy Limeys over there now, not to Picts or Angled Saxophones or whatever.

Welcome to the Review Bruce Reynolds, enjoy your stay.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Bruce Reynolds @ Tue 8th January 2008, 12:28am) *

A good example of lack of International awareness within Wikipedia. Briton has an implication in Britain of meaning an "Ancient Briton" which is probably the phrase I would have used in my school days, when people used to be educated. rolleyes.gif

These days, people seem to have an urge to invent new words to cover concepts where they feel that the public aren't excluded enough from knowing what they are talking about. It's a bit like re-inventing the Latin Mass for the new religions.
Bruce Reynolds
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 8th January 2008, 9:40am) *

QUOTE(Bruce Reynolds @ Tue 8th January 2008, 12:28am) *

A good example of lack of International awareness within Wikipedia. Briton has an implication in Britain of meaning an "Ancient Briton" which is probably the phrase I would have used in my school days, when people used to be educated. rolleyes.gif

Really? What do you call the peoples of the Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Aside, I mean, from "subjects" or perhaps bloody pommies? Some of them would like to call everyone "English", but this annoys my Scottish and Welsh friends to no end. And the Northern Irish, best not to call them at all!
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Bruce Reynolds @ Tue 8th January 2008, 6:27pm) *

Really? What do you call the peoples of the Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Aside, I mean, from "subjects" or perhaps bloody pommies? Some of them would like to call everyone "English", but this annoys my Scottish and Welsh friends to no end. And the Northern Irish, best not to call them at all!

Normally, one would call one's fellow citizens British, old chap. biggrin.gif
guy
The only time we British call ourselves Britons is when we sing "Rule Britannia".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.