Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barnstars
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
I have to hand it to the WikBack. Since I departed, they've made an effort to keep spawning interesting conversations, though it just isn't the same without me.

This thread is pretty funny, though -- in a pathetic sort of way.

How can they go back and forth, back and forth, pondering why good copy editors don't clean up the "bad" articles? Do they not realize that articles actually tend to start off with fairly good copy but are then assaulted by the wisdom of crowds to create a disgusting textual chowder?

Of course, there are also those that just start out bad and only continue to get worse, because nobody in their right mind would waste good quality time trying to improve the output of a blithering idiot.

Greg
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th January 2008, 4:53pm) *

«disgusting textual chowder»

Manhattan or New England ???

Oh wait, I forgot, no doubt the ethnicity of the chowder is eternally embroiled in hot dispuke.

Jonny cool.gif
badlydrawnjeff
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th January 2008, 9:53pm) *

How can they go back and forth, back and forth, pondering why good copy editors don't clean up the "bad" articles? Do they not realize that articles actually tend to start off with fairly good copy but are then assaulted by the wisdom of crowds to create a disgusting textual chowder?

Nailed it in one. One of the flaws of collaborative editing, for sure.
Amarkov
If you're going to assume that random idiots you found on the Internet can write like experts, why not assume they can collaborate like experts too?
The Joy
I have a brilliant but heretical idea: why not pay people to copyedit?

No, Krimpet, I don't edit lake articles. dry.gif
guy
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 10th January 2008, 3:16am) *

I have a brilliant but heretical idea: why not pay people to copyedit?

Because it would be a waste of money. People would correct the articles, then others would come along and revert them.
Peter Damian

Of course, there are also those that just start out bad and only continue to get worse, because nobody in their right mind would waste good quality time trying to improve the output of a blithering idiot.

Thank you for lightening my day. There were a few belly laughs in there. The sad thing is that one will try to point this out, perhaps by a few diffs as you have down, and people wonder what it was wrong with it. The problem is that second one looks superficially pretty good. It is properly formatted, has some really nice diagrams and pictures, and passes the hairdresser test straight off. It's only when you actually read it that you realise that something frightful is going on. E.g. the 1066-ish

[the] Persian Kings from then on chose a policy of divide and rule.

or the plainly silly

Cyrus the Great declared equal rights for all citizens of the empire regardless of religion or ethnicity, abolished slavery, freed the Jews, introduced forms of paid labour, and provided women with equal job opportunities.

which prompted the belly laugh. But as I say the main problem is not that its frightfully wrong, but a large percentage of people working there will fail entirely to see anything wrong.

[edit]

Oh my God there is so much more

Rome had been gradually completing the conquest of Italy

The Second Punic War was famous for Hannibal's march across the Alps and invasion of Italy

Greek Syncretism accommodated Roman Gods as merely the different names of Greek Gods - Celtic Gods were to be similarly co-opted later.

‘Syncretism’ of course is wikilinked, you can see the author’s mind gradually building up the whole sentence with the aim of getting that wonderful blue line underneath that splendid word.

The Ostrogoths were defeated and the defeated Germans were soon on the banks of the Danube clamoring to be allowed to cross into the safety of the Roman Empire.

In 453 Attila died in bed with his new wife. As a result, the Hun Empire collapsed.

These changes changed Western Eurasia from an unipolar world to a multipolar world.

There are a few warning templates, but is there a warning template on the lines of ‘this article is complete shite from beginning to end’? But of course you would be indef-blocked for suggesting such a thing.

[Edit]

Also here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...of_West_Eurasia

is an interesting discussion of the article. Most seem to think it is beautifully written (the hairdresser problem again). The one dissenting voice (datagoal) is rightly bothered by the spelling, but fails to see that it is not the spelling which is the problem.
Yehudi
QUOTE(guy @ Thu 10th January 2008, 9:53am) *

People would correct the articles, then others would come along and revert them.

Indeed. it's only worthwhile for Veropedia articles, or maybe ones about to go for FA.
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 10th January 2008, 5:47am) *

...Also here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...of_West_Eurasia

is an interesting discussion of the article. Most seem to think it is beautifully written (the hairdresser problem again). The one dissenting voice (datagoal) is rightly bothered by the spelling, but fails to see that it is not the spelling which is the problem.

Welcome to the nightmare, Peter. You missed one of my favorite pair of lines, though:

The defeat was so crushing that the Magyars decided that 'if you can't beat them join them' and in 1000 their King was accepting his royal regalia from the Pope. Otto on the strength of that victory was able to secure the tittle (sic) of Emperor.

If you go into further examination of that deletion debate, you'll see that plenty of editor accounts questioned its quality; however, the Wikipedia machine ultimately silenced them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Libertyvalley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Enjoyexist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Datagoal
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...=User:Areateeth

I didn't think that Jon Awbrey was even interested in this article, but they flagged these accounts as "his", anyway.

Greg

Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 10th January 2008, 2:32pm) *

If you go into further examination of that deletion debate, you'll see that plenty of editor accounts questioned its quality; however, the Wikipedia machine ultimately silenced them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Libertyvalley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Enjoyexist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Datagoal
Special:Log&type=block&page=User:Areateeth

I didn't think that Jon Awbrey was even interested in this article, but they flagged these accounts as "his", anyway.

Greg

I'm pretty sure that I never read this article.

Of course, reading the article would have constituted a WP:Conflict Of Interest and disqualified me from voting on it.

Jonny cool.gif
Peter Damian

Greg

Oh no what have you done it's up for deletion again. I'm rather fond of it now. I've saved the edit text down in case they delete it. Do they usually delete the whole history or just blank it?
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 11th January 2008, 4:28pm) *

Greg

Oh no what have you done it's up for deletion again. I'm rather fond of it now. I've saved the edit text down in case they delete it. Do they usually delete the whole history or just blank it?

Oh, oh! We've been outed. Reason for deletion? "People are running screaming from this article, and some are even making fun of it on sites critical of Wikipedia."

Strong Delete Wikipedia Review piss-taking. ~~~~
Jonny Cache
So how come there's an article on Sub-Saharan Africa but no article on Super-Saharan Africa ???

I'll betcha somebody named Sarah has something to do with it …

Unless of course Super-Saharan Africa = West Eurasia ???

Jonny cool.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 11th January 2008, 12:04pm) *

So how come there's an article on Sub-Saharan Africa but no article on Super-Saharan Africa ???

Jonny cool.gif

Baja West Eurasia.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 11th January 2008, 12:07pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

Baja West Eurasia.

Baja Humbug!

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser

Jonny cool.gif

Actually, wouldn't it be Mediterranean Sea?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th January 2008, 12:38pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

Actually, wouldn't it be Mediterranean Sea?

No, sorry, you can't go home again …

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 11th January 2008, 11:28am) *

Truth be told, I love this article, too. I hope that it stays, since any time I have a conversation with anyone with a college degree who says they love and rely on Wikipedia for anything to do with History, I point them to some of my favorite zinger lines in that article.

Hey, I have an idea! Durova keeps kvetching about ways in which copyediting can be rewarded... How about I offer up a $50 donation to a non-WMF charity of her choice, if she organizes a campaign for people with actual M.A.'s or PhD's in History or related Humanities to copyedit that mo-fo article to such a point where User:Dejvid no longer has more than 50% of the total edits. Extra dollar to the donation for every percentage point BELOW 50 that they can push down Dejvid's edit count. The deal is off if I see any "gaming" of the challenge, such as a large number of individual edits being made just to add a comma. The outcome of the Western Eurasia Article Challenge will be assessed on the day the WMF releases its 2007 financial audit to the public. So, it's a dramatic RACE AGAINST TIME on both counts!

Somebody send this note to Durova, since she's not answering my messages. We'll see if she has the "best interests" of the project in mind, or not. I hope that she does. I can be a "grown-ass man" enough to tolerate a major improvement to "History of western Eurasia".

Greg
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th January 2008, 6:32pm) *

I can be a "grown-ass man" enough to tolerate a major improvement to "History of western Eurasia".

Greg

Grown-assed enough to accept it with or without Africa? huh.gif

thekohser
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 11th January 2008, 1:34pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th January 2008, 6:32pm) *

I can be a "grown-ass man" enough to tolerate a major improvement to "History of western Eurasia".

Greg

Grown-assed enough to accept it with or without Africa? huh.gif

I'll tell you what, I can be grown-assed enough to let that be the last edit the team of academics decides to make about the article. They can fix the whole rest of the article without a worry about whether Africa's "in" or "out".
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 11th January 2008, 11:49am) *

Oh, oh! We've been outed. Reason for deletion? "People are running screaming from this article, and some are even making fun of it on sites critical of Wikipedia."

Hey, We'Re moving up in the world, from BADSITE to «Site Critical Of Wikipedia» (SCOW) — though I think someone should tack a {{fact}} tag next to that statement in the AfD.

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.