Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiki in education
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Joseph100
Interesting article about wikipeida by college instrutors and professors...

Insidehighered

In describing wikipdia this article uses words like...

“As educators, we are in the business of reducing the dissemination of misinformation,” said Don Wyatt, chair of the department. “Even though Wikipedia may have some value, particularly from the value of leading students to citable sources, it is not itself an appropriate source for citation,” he said. said Don Wyatt

The problem is not that many article are more accurate buy the quality is inconstant

Roy Rosenzweig, director of the Center for History and New Media at George Mason University, did an analysis of the accuracy of Wikipedia for The Journal of American History, and he found that in many entries, Wikipedia was as accurate or more accurate than more traditional encyclopedias. He said that the quality of material was inconsistent, italic added by me
Jonny Cache
It would be better to change the title to "Wikipedia In Education".

Taxonomically speaking, I personally deplore the practice of reducing the genus Wiki to the specious degeneracy of Wikipedia.

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser
The article referenced is 11.5 months old. This is the Middlebury College flap; old news. Still good news, but old.
Joseph100
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th January 2008, 2:27pm) *

The article referenced is 11.5 months old. This is the Middlebury College flap; old news. Still good news, but old.

I had not see it in the archives here so I added due to it's impact.
Moulton
Today, on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday, host Liane Hansen interviews Harvard Professor Jonathan Zittrain about his course in CyberLaw, including liability issues arising from defamatory BLPs on Wikipedia. Streaming audio for the story will be available at noon EST.
WhispersOfWisdom
Timely for many of us, regardless of the age of same. As a single dad of three girls, I like to see anything that impacts the education "process" of our young people. Thanks for the new and the old. smile.gif
Moulton
This one is for Poetlister...

Today on public radio's Speaking of Faith, host Krista Tippett interviews Janna Levin, a theoretical physicist with a special interest in the origins and shape of the universe. She's the author of a remarkable novel about Kurt Godel and Alan Turing, A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines, that explores boundaries between science, mathematics, philosophy, and theology.
guy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 13th January 2008, 5:23pm) *

Janna Levin, a theoretical physicist

You know the Wikipedia rules - Jewish scientist, not notable.
Moulton
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 13th January 2008, 12:29pm) *
You know the Wikipedia rules...

Their conversation also touches on Chaos Theory, the branch of mathematics that reveals the shocking truth that rule-driven systems are not inherently orderly, stable, and predictable as Hammurabi and his followers once fervently believed.
Poetlister
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 13th January 2008, 5:23pm) *

This one is for Poetlister...

Thanks, yes, I've heard of her.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.