Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unstable equilibrium
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
wjhonson
Democracy as an unstable equilibrium.

Starting from a universal democracy where actions are effected by consensus, we next arrive at a situation where judges must referee actions where the rights of seperate parties collide.

At first the judges are given minor but useful powers by the people. Some judges however decide those minor powers are just too minor, and the people just too unruly.

So the judges all get together and vote themselves greater powers and less control over how and when they should use those powers.

The stable equilibrium is achieved finally when the judges have all powers and no controls. The people who are not obedient slaves to the judges authority are quickly put out-of-the-way by whatever means necessary. The judges themselves do not see this as the opposite of a productive free society, they see their own task as the necessarity of not allowing a descent into anarchy.
Moulton
That's pretty much how the Spanish Inquisition operated.

I regret to say I have some misgivings about the reliability of their judgments.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(wjhonson @ Mon 21st January 2008, 3:11am) *

Democracy as an unstable equilibrium.

Starting from a universal democracy where actions are effected by consensus, we next arrive at a situation where judges must referee actions where the rights of seperate parties collide.

At first the judges are given minor but useful powers by the people. Some judges however decide those minor powers are just too minor, and the people just too unruly.

So the judges all get together and vote themselves greater powers and less control over how and when they should use those powers.

The stable equilibrium is achieved finally when the judges have all powers and no controls. The people who are not obedient slaves to the judges authority are quickly put out-of-the-way by whatever means necessary. The judges themselves do not see this as the opposite of a productive free society, they see their own task as the necessarity of not allowing a descent into anarchy.

What does this have to do with Wikipedia?

Jonny cool.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 21st January 2008, 4:06pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

I believe that what our friend is suggesting is that Wikipedia has become exactly the system that he is suggesting. I tend to agree with this judgement.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 21st January 2008, 11:20am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 21st January 2008, 4:06pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

I believe that what our friend is suggesting is that Wikipedia has become exactly the system that he is suggesting. I tend to agree with this judgement.

But Wikipedia Is Snot Supposed To Be A Democracy, Right?

Jonny cool.gif
Moulton
WIkipedia is an MMPORG and compendium of popular culture, including copious instances of lunatic social drama, especially those reprising Pythonesque sketches based on The Spammish Inquisition.
wjhonson
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 21st January 2008, 8:37am) *

WIkipedia is an MMPORG and compendium of popular culture, including copious instances of lunatic social drama, especially those reprising Pythonesque sketches based on The Spammish Inquisition.

Torture him with soft pillows!
JohnA
QUOTE(wjhonson @ Tue 22nd January 2008, 7:19am) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 21st January 2008, 8:37am) *

Torture him with soft pillows!

And the comfy chair!
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(JohnA @ Tue 22nd January 2008, 12:54pm) *

And the comfy chair!

Oh, no! Not the comfy chair!

PS I wonder just how many hours of my school days and university time did I pass in quoting Monty Python?
JohnA
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 22nd January 2008, 1:12pm) *

QUOTE(JohnA @ Tue 22nd January 2008, 12:54pm) *

And the comfy chair!

Oh, no! Not the comfy chair!

PS I wonder just how many hours of my school days and university time did I pass in quoting Monty Python?

Aw come on! That was never five minutes .... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.