Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JzG Drops the C-bomb and the F-bombs
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > JzG
Piperdown
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&oldid=68914708

Yeah, that's just great.
The single most offensive word that any woman I know tells me they could ever read/hear.

Yet admins are indignant when I point out what many (including El Reg) consider to be a curious use of Cartoon Dancing Girls (lol), but not the "C" word? Too much.....because it suits their wikicareer at that moment to put on a front.

They "don't have a problem with" all this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cla68/Rf...ersonal_attacks

I just want to know. Why do you half-truthers look the other way at this? I'm just interested in how groupthink works.

That admins have nothing to say about the on-WP actions of Sir Guy speak volumes about their hypocrisy and selective indignation.

There won't be any replies to this, lol.
dtobias
Not that it really defends such usage or anything, but JzG's cited response was in reply to a rather nasty personal attack on him.
Piperdown
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 18th February 2008, 5:57pm) *

Not that it really defends such usage or anything, but JzG's cited response was in reply to a rather nasty personal attack on him.

Yes, so they both should be banned off the planet. That was strike 199 against JzG.
Kato
As we've discussed elsewhere it doesn't have the same connotations in the UK - especially in certain contexts, were it is merely just a funny word. It's always a rude word, but people call their cars, dogs, friends, neighbours C**ts with a smile on their face. Its just one of those unusual words, where context is everything. Something like "bitch" can be much more offensive.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 18th February 2008, 6:14pm) *

It's always a rude word, but people call their cars, dogs, friends, neighbours C**ts with a smile on their face.

I don't think so. Which part of the UK is this?

Something like "bitch" can be much more offensive.

Again, I think not.
Yehudi
I must strongly agree with Peter here.
Piperdown

As we've discussed elsewhere it doesn't have the same connotations in the UK - especially in certain contexts, were it is merely just a funny word. It's always a rude word, but people call their cars, dogs, friends, neighbours C**ts with a smile on their face. Its just one of those unusual words, where context is everything. Something like "bitch" can be much more offensive.

try running that apology by Slimmy and see what she thinks, lol. North Americans don't tolerate any use of that word in any way, any place. And the ten other cusswords that individual ( with on-WP confessions that should render any administation of this site out of the question for him) uses on a daily basis on-WP aren't far behind. When in Rome, you follow Roman rules or you get your just desserts like anyone else there.

Maybe WP admins are taking a 2 year analysis of the use of the C--t word by other wp'ians to determine whether it's a cultural more on-site, and not any actionable offense. After all, some editors require fortnight-long linguistic analysis, offsite-mailing list analysis, and electronic forgery investigations to be thoroughly completely by a committee of very serious bureaucrats who want to get it right (lol), while others just piss off the wrong guy and get instabanned for looking sideways at the wrong loose cannon.
dtobias
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Mon 18th February 2008, 1:21pm) *

When in Rome, you follow Roman rules or you get your just desserts like anyone else there.

Mmmmmm.... desserts in Rome... I'll have some spumoni, please.
Kato
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 18th February 2008, 6:19pm) *

It's always a rude word, but people call their cars, dogs, friends, neighbours C**ts with a smile on their face.

I don't think so. Which part of the UK is this?

England, Scotland, and Wales.

Now, F-off, yer daft c**t.
FORUM Image
thekohser
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 18th February 2008, 12:57pm) *

Why is it that nobody seems to question why it is particularly JzG who seems to be such a magnet for "nasty personal attacks" (NPAs)? I could probably identify, oh, about 500 admins who have had combined less than 10% of the number of NPA's of which JzG has somehow found himself on the receiving end.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 18th February 2008, 1:14pm) *

As we've discussed elsewhere it doesn't have the same connotations in the UK — especially in certain contexts, were it is merely just a funny word. It's always a rude word, but people call their cars, dogs, friends, neighbours C**ts with a smile on their face. Its just one of those unusual words, where context is everything. Something like "bitch" can be much more offensive.

All of these usages and ab-usages are highly context-sensitive — if you call that sensitive.

One of my favorite bumper-stickers in my neck o' th' woods is one I saw on a pink pickup truck:

Yeah, I'm A Bitch —
But I'm Not Your Bitch
!

Jonny cool.gif
dogbiscuit
It is a word you can get away with with close friends, typically in a working environment, but it would never be acceptable to use it to someone in a public place where it could be overheard, and I think that is the better analogy.
Kato
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 18th February 2008, 7:05pm) *

It is a word you can get away with with close friends, typically in a working environment, but it would never be acceptable to use it to someone in a public place where it could be overheard, and I think that is the better analogy.

Oops! I've been saying it for decades in pubs and bars. It's one of my favorite words. Alongside Bollocks! I'm from the old-fashioned John Lydon, Derek and Clive school of swearing. None of your modern stuff. I used to know a guy whose nickname was c**t, because he said it in every sentence.
Cedric
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 18th February 2008, 1:15pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 18th February 2008, 7:05pm) *

Oops! I've been saying it for decades in pubs and bars. It's one of my favorite words. Alongside Bollocks! I'm from the old-fashioned John Lydon, Derek and Clive school of swearing. None of your modern stuff. I used to know a guy whose nickname was c**t, because he said it in every sentence.

I can't imagine that anyone would be offended by "bollocks" around here. They might be a bit confused about your pronunciation, but would likely otherwise assume you to be an ICAT member. tongue.gif
guy
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 18th February 2008, 6:49pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 18th February 2008, 6:19pm) *

Which part of the UK is this?

England, Scotland, and Wales.

But not Northern Ireland?
wikiwhistle

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true- recent polls have said it's viewed as the most offensive swear word by most in the UK. It's the one they can never really use on telly, no matter what the context.

Regardless, everyone knows this is offensive to many people- but it's JzG lol he can mostly act as he likes, he's one of those under a Wikishield given by some admins, where people are allowed to get away with stuff.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 18th February 2008, 6:51pm) *

Why is it that nobody seems to question why it is particularly JzG who seems to be such a magnet for "nasty personal attacks" (NPAs)? I could probably identify, oh, about 500 admins who have had combined less than 10% of the number of NPA's of which JzG has somehow found himself on the receiving end.

Maybe because he acts like a c**t (lol just teasing smile.gif )
Amarkov
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 18th February 2008, 10:51am) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 18th February 2008, 12:57pm) *

Well, I tried to do that with MONGO once. We arrived at the conclusion that he is prone to lash out with swearing and incivility, which is what many people want to get out of people they're incivil to. But then people declared that this excused all MONGO's incivility, until such point that absolutely nobody is ever incivil to him.

I'd really rather not go through that again without a good reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.