Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprised nobody has brought this up
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
guy
The problem is that shared interests leads to the appearance of meat-puppetry among people who agree and the appearance of wiki-stalking among those who disagree. One must AGF as much as possible or one will see conspiracies everywhere. WAS 4.250 (talk) 14:47, 17 February 2008 (UTC)

Translation: if SV and Crum help each other, it's OK. If normal people do it, they're sockpuppets or at least effectively so hence need to be blocked.
Kato
SandyGeorgia goes for SV again

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192089008

QUOTE(SandyGeorgia)
There are (at least) three issues here. First, as an experienced editor, SlimVirgin must know that WP:3RR doesn't allow her to revert three times, particularly without consensus. (In this spirit the rule does not convey an entitlement to revert three times each day, nor does it endorse reverting as an editing technique.) After SV reached three reverts, Crum375 appeared. Second, SV often claims "stalking" whenever someone else edits an article for the first time;[155][156] Crum375 had never edited WP:GTL before. Third, this type of editing is occurring on other guideline and policy pages, for example WP:CITE,[157] where SV even started a section heading naming another editor to discuss sockpuppetry (subsequently changed when I pointed out SV's violation of WP:AGF and WP:TALK [158]). There appears to be a double standard; the WP:3RR violations and SV's accusations of "wikistalking" and sockpuppetry should stop, and extra eyes are needed on these policy and guideline pages, where ownership tendencies are apparent (reference the numerous past similar issues at WP:V, WP:RS and others). Policy and guideline pages benefit from stability, yet SV edit wars on them to instate her preferred versions. SandyGeorgia

SV has tried to discredit Sandy a few times before, to wrestle Sandy off the Featured Article process, one of the few arenas where SV has no control. I hope Sandy keeps this kind of thing up. Because SV has no answer to Sandy.

Slim threatens Sandy on Sandy's talk page

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192132240

I hope Slim does "take this further". Because Slim will lose. Badly.
thekohser
Reading that section, I decided that if a "Counter-Cabal" is formed here through Wikipedia Review, probably the most entertaining thing to do with it would be to form revert war daisy-chains against the silliest stuff the Slimmy, Jayjg, and Crum decide is important. You may only need 4 or 5 people operating two distinct accounts each (one from work, one from home -- never cross-pollinating the two).

So, you'd essentially have an army of 8 or 10 accounts who could just endlessly suppress any effort of Slimumverate to revert their way to "victory". It would be really interesting to see the amount of time they might spend trying to find out "who is behind this odious team".

Another beautiful thing would be that the Counter-Cabal wouldn't even have to "meet up" to discuss what their next project would be. Just stalk the SlumJay edits, and when one looks juicy enough to revert, the rest of the team would see the warning shots, then move in for the kill.

I don't have the time for it, but it could be fun for others.

Greg
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 19th February 2008, 2:18pm) *

So, you'd essentially have an army of 8 or 10 accounts who could just endlessly suppress any effort of Slimumverate to revert their way to "victory". It would be really interesting to see the amount of time they might spend trying to find out "who is behind this odious team".

They wouldn't particularly worry about who's behind it, they simply vil be blocked. Or if the rest of the cabal are like Durova, they'll probably assume it's us lot behind it- either that, or they seem to blame 4chan for a lot at the moment, though 4chan's attacks would probably be less sophisticated than ours, bless 'em smile.gif
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 19th February 2008, 2:37pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 19th February 2008, 2:18pm) *

They wouldn't particularly worry about who's behind it, they simply vil be blocked. Or if the rest of the cabal are like Durova, they'll probably assume it's us lot behind it- either that, or they seem to blame 4chan for a lot at the moment, though 4chan's attacks would probably be less sophisticated than ours, bless 'em smile.gif

The flaw is that to oppose Slum you need to justify your edits, Slum needs no justification for hes. Random reverting without justification would be "vandalism". Go from one article to another, you would be stalking. S/h has the complete set of moves to resist this. If there was an edit war, Slum's version magically becomes the protected version. You can point to numerous articles where Slum has generated a de-facto anti-CABAL, where a significant group of people develop a common purpose to oppose Slum, not arbitrarily but because s-he is wrong, or cannot justify hes position. So if you cannot do it with genuinely unrelated people, I don't see how a fabrication of an anti-CABAL would work seeing as the real thing does not.

LamontStormstar
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 19th February 2008, 8:02am) *

Random reverting without justification would be "vandalism". Go from one article to another, you would be stalking.

That's what a lot of wikipedians to do each other.
Moulton
That's the analog of border skirmish battles in combat games. It's just staking out territory for no better reason than it's a mindless objective of the game, when nothing of substance is really at stake.
Herschelkrustofsky
There is a splendid battle between Virginia Slim and SandyGeorgia at the end of the ANI thread, and has been predicted on this board, SandyGeorgia is a capable fighter.

And in other news, this post by a Badsites prankster lasted all of six minutes.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 20th February 2008, 3:51pm) *

There is a splendid battle between Virginia Slim and SandyGeorgia at the end of the ANI thread, and has been predicted on this board, SandyGeorgia is a capable fighter.

The one-sided AGF of Slum gets rather old. Share similar interests? I don't think so. they plough quite different furrows until the alarm sounds. After the incident, their ways part again. I think what is interesting is that there are people making pointed criticisms of Slum in public and they are getting away with it rather than being banned. Be interesting to see how Slum deals with her opponents, no doubt with the same wiki-stalking that she derides in others.

Yet again, I am sure WR highlighting patterns of behaviour has had an influence. This is not about "Linda" this is about abusive behaviour on WP. When I called Slum on the tag team reverts and warned that they were approaching (not exceeding) 3RR, s/he had the audacity to say that tag team warring was perfectly acceptable within 3RR and my warning on 2 reverts to not make a third was a personal attack.
Somey
Would this be a bad time to point out that in the underlying dispute, Slim-ula-Crum actually has the right idea here in arguing that "See Also" sections really should be highly expansive, containing more external links rather than fewer? And that external links are, in fact, the best feature of Wikipedia in general?

I mean, sure, I suppose it would be better for them if some of the external links pointed here to WR, but that's a whole 'nuther issue.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 20th February 2008, 4:39pm) *

The one-sided AGF of Slum gets rather old. Share similar interests? I don't think so. they plough quite different furrows until the alarm sounds. After the incident, their ways part again. I think what is interesting is that there are people making pointed criticisms of Slum in public and they are getting away with it rather than being banned. Be interesting to see how Slum deals with her opponents, no doubt with the same wiki-stalking that she derides in others.

I don't know how to ask for this on Wikipedia; I think a SirFozzie/Cool Hand Luke-style analysis of Slim-Crum would be very useful; not of overlapping edits in general, for we know they exist, but of how many times Crum has leaped to Slim's defense (by reverting, protecting, or blocking) on a page he previously had no involvement in.
Achromatic
Could this be Cla68's next target on his mission to clean up the dark alleys of WP, after dealing with the JzG "problem"?

SV accused someone who didn't let her get her way of committing a personal attack? I'd say these tactics by SV and Crum are getting old. Yes, this is an implied warning that this behavior of theirs needs to stop. Cla68 (talk) 11:13, 19 February 2008 (UTC)
msharma
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Wed 20th February 2008, 5:30pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 20th February 2008, 4:39pm) *

I don't know how to ask for this on Wikipedia; I think a SirFozzie/Cool Hand Luke-style analysis of Slim-Crum would be very useful; not of overlapping edits in general, for we know they exist, but of how many times Crum has leaped to Slim's defense (by reverting, protecting, or blocking) on a page he previously had no involvement in.

Its been mentioned already as a possibility somewhere on that thread.
papaya
The thing is that the article already has a huge navbox at the bottom which repeats nearly every link in the "see also" section. I'm not sure what is going on here, because unless there's an exterior motive in dragging the detractors into a dispute, it's just SV and Crum being hard-headed for the sake of being hard-headed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.