Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does WP want David Shankbone or should they just tell him to leave?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > David Shankbone
wikiwhistle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ANI...him_to_leave.3F

lol, tragic biggrin.gif They closed this quite quickly yesterday but still I found it amusing, bloke is treating wiki like a full time job- or so he claims.
thekohser
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 19th February 2008, 9:17am) *

lol, tragic biggrin.gif They closed this quite quickly yesterday but still I found it amusing, bloke is treating wiki like a full time job- or so he claims.

This here link may be a better one to instruct the unfamiliar.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 19th February 2008, 4:11pm) *

I saw all of this drama and was tempted to post about it, but his whining on his talkpage about not being able to pay for law school because of missed credit card bills and living in NYC WITHOUT Air conditioning was so pathetic that I thought that I wouldn't touch it. Aparently all of this started because he added his own photo and name to the "Anger" article and people started to yell "COI"...which is probably true....He added this note to the cropped photo on his talkpage:

To the editors who in their edit summaries and talk page comments said that this was a "vanity photo" of myself that I was putting into articles: Seriously, I hate you, and I never want you to talk to me again.

That's the kind of talk that we need to hear out of Wikinew's special reporter in Israel, isn't it? This guy needed to find a life...and he thinks that he's going to be able to latch onto Wikipedia to create some sort of career for himself...Well, a picture is worth a thousand words, isn't it? <<<WARNING NSFW!
C H
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 19th February 2008, 8:17am) *

What a whiny little bitch. Get over yourself. Even worse are his enablers such as John Reaves.
One
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 19th February 2008, 3:41pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 19th February 2008, 4:11pm) *

lol, tragic :D They closed this quite quickly yesterday but still I found it amusing, bloke is treating wiki like a full time job- or so he claims.

I saw all of this drama and was tempted to post about it, but his whining on his talkpage about not being able to pay for law school because of missed credit card bills and living in NYC WITHOUT Air conditioning was so pathetic that I thought that I wouldn't touch it.

According to what it said on his myspace, he should have graduated by now. You would think managing "the assets of two of New York's founding families" would pay at least as well as Enron?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(One @ Tue 19th February 2008, 7:57pm) *

According to what it said on his myspace, he should have graduated by now. You would think managing "the assets of two of New York's founding families" would pay at least as well as Enron?

....ummmm....can you say Essjay??? For some reason, and I can't imagine why, that's what I'm thinking right now.....
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 19th February 2008, 3:41pm) *

he thinks that he's going to be able to latch onto Wikipedia to create some sort of career for himself...Well, a picture is worth a thousand words, isn't it? <<<WARNING NSFW!

Ewwwwwwwwww, what sort of model, anyway, a model for the ''Hairy Women" fetish magazine?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Wed 20th February 2008, 12:21am) *

Ewwwwwwwwww, what sort of model, anyway, a model for the ''Hairy Women" fetish magazine?

Umm....somehow I rather doubt this model was female...but that might be just my own POV....
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 20th February 2008, 12:22am) *

Umm....somehow I rather doubt this model was female...but that might be just my own POV....

Lol that's not how my mind temporarily saw it, but that must reflect my own POV. It's been a long time biggrin.gif

He is some sort of exhibitionist then?

I mean, this may be a male 'friend', but I think I've also read before that he likes to photo intimate areas of himself and post them on wiki?
Ryulong
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 19th February 2008, 7:44pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 20th February 2008, 12:22am) *

Lol that's not how my mind temporarily saw it, but that must reflect my own POV. It's been a long time biggrin.gif

He is some sort of exhibitionist then?

I mean, this may be a male 'friend', but I think I've also read before that he likes to photo intimate areas of himself and post them on wiki?

Just imagine the amount of mirrors involved in getting this shot if they were self portraits.
Somey
QUOTE(Ryulong @ Wed 20th February 2008, 1:04am) *
Just imagine the amount of mirrors involved in getting this shot if they were self portraits.

But that's what people want!

jorge
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Wed 20th February 2008, 12:44am) *

They are apparently all of a model that he recruited for this purpose...
wikiwhistle
oh, a "model", is it? I've heard they're easy to get hold of, particularly in London.
guy
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Wed 20th February 2008, 10:37am) *

oh, a "model", is it? I've heard they're easy to get hold of, particularly in London.

Such models of friendship are precious and few
But the friendship of models -
Is not!
Michael Flanders

jorge
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Wed 20th February 2008, 10:37am) *

I think getting one from London would be a bit extreme since he lives in New York.. wink.gif
Heat
Shankbone got a pluperfect mark on his LSATs and has a 300 IQ - not only that but he's very modest and only mentions fact 1 and 2 when he absolutely has to. Why shouldn't Wikipedia want him to plaster the encyclopedia with pictures of himself when he's not conducting state visits on Wikipedia's behalf?

Wikipedia - where expansive but unappreciated egos can find a home.
One
QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 20th February 2008, 8:49pm) *

Shankbone got a pluperfect mark on his LSATs and has a 300 IQ - not only that but he's very modest and only mentions fact 1 and 2 when he absolutely has to. Why shouldn't Wikipedia want him to plaster the encyclopedia with pictures of himself when he's not conducting state visits on Wikipedia's behalf?

Wikipedia - where expansive but unappreciated egos can find a home.

With any luck, he'll soon be back to single-handedly uploading most of the free pictures on Wikipedia. That, and berating M*A*S*H actors who are obviously trying to censor him and destroy free media.
thekohser
QUOTE(One @ Wed 20th February 2008, 4:32pm) *

With any luck, soon be getting back to single-handedly uploading most of the free pictures on Wikipedia. That, and berating M*A*S*H actors who are obviously trying to censor the great Shankbone and destroy free media.

Only on Wikipedia would you find a heated, indignant argument about a photo of Mike Farrell.
wikiwhistle

Shankbone {...} has a 300 IQ

Does he really claim that? ohmy.gif Or are you joking lol that would be a scoop about him to say the least biggrin.gif

I believe that is highly unlikely (and I don't say that to say anything about shanky's intelligence, just that I don't think that score's actually possible). If it were, his IQ would be around that which is the highest ever recorded. biggrin.gif

Anyway, how come on wiki he's claiming he's too skint to pay some class fees, but on his myspace it says he's a high powered businessman/accountant or something?

Hmmm. rolleyes.gif
Somey
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Wed 20th February 2008, 10:19pm) *
Shankbone {...} has a 300 IQ
Does he really claim that? ohmy.gif

Does he even have to? laughing.gif I'm actually more surprised that he didn't claim it was 500. Hell, why not go for four figures? He's David Shankbone!

Apparently he did brag about his LSAT score though, which was somewhere in the tens of millions of points, along with how much money he spends on Wikipedia (for example, by hiring "hair models" for photos). I think that amount was only slightly less than the Gross National Product of Saudi Arabia.

The important thing is to make sure you never, ever ask him how much he spends on head-shaving gear...

I believe that is highly unlikely to say the least (and I don't say that to say anything about shanky's intelligence, just that I don't think that score's actually possible). If it were, statistically speaking there'd be about one person as intelligent as him per continent or something, wouldn't there?
As I understand it, 15 is the standard deviation of IQ. Probably no one ever born would have that IQ by the definition, so it stands to reason that Shankers wasn't "born" in the traditional sense - presumably he was the product of decades, even centuries of careful research into the problem of producing the Perfect Human Being.

As for the rest of us lowly "humans," apparently some people doubt the record holder really has a 228.

Just FYI, the last time I myself was tested I supposedly had an IQ of 137, but I have no idea which test it was, and since then I've become much, much stupider.
wikiwhistle
No. Heat was using hyperbole. He really did brag about his LSAT score though, along with how much money he spends on Wikipedia (for example, by hiring hairy models for photos).
I believe that is highly unlikely to say the least (and I don't say that to say anything about shanky's intelligence, just that I don't think that score's actually possible). If it were, statistically speaking there'd be about one person as intelligent as him per continent or something, wouldn't there?
15 is the standard deviation of IQ. Probably no one ever born would have that IQ by the definition. Some people doubt the record holder really has a 228. A 300 is impossible (hence, hyperbole).

Some bloke is said to have had one of 300 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis the highest in history, probably his mates spread that story though.

I know a couple of people with IQs over 150, but that is pretty rare and one of them (seems to have aspergers- labels everything- they both have hardly any social skills) has been known to say "statistically speaking, I'm the most intelligent person you'll ever meet" rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif . If Shanky said that I would laugh so is what I saying- people with a superiority complex/pretentions annoy and amuse me greatly biggrin.gif biggrin.gif And it would mean we could debunk him quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.