Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why massage?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
I think I've figured it all out.

Jimbo purportedly went to a massage parlor in Moscow when he was touring there (as a "crock" star). We've seen from FloFlo that only Jan-Bart gets to sit in business class on overseas travel, since his is a 6'6" behemoth frame. So, presumably, Jimbo sits in coach on his overseas junkets.

By the time he got to Moscow, his back must have been KILLING him. Plus, he missed the Wikia, Inc. office's "massage chair"!

Inside, it would be tough to seat more than two dozen people in the main conference room, with its metal folding chairs and mismatched IKEA tables. Wikia doesn’t employ a team of chefs; a converted office functions as part kitchen, part supply room. For recreation, the 10 employees don’t have a gym, but a massage chair and a big-screen television equipped with a Nintendo Wii system.

This all makes sense now.

Greg
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 4th March 2008, 6:43pm) *

Jimbo purportedly went to a massage parlor in Moscow when he was touring there (as a "crock" star). We've seen from FloFlo that only Jan-Bart gets to sit in business class on overseas travel, since his is a 6'6" behemoth frame. So, presumably, Jimbo sits in coach on his overseas junkets.

By the time he got to Moscow, his back must have been KILLING him. Plus, he missed the Wikia, Inc. office's "massage chair"!

Inside, it would be tough to seat more than two dozen people in the main conference room, with its metal folding chairs and mismatched IKEA tables. Wikia doesn’t employ a team of chefs; a converted office functions as part kitchen, part supply room. For recreation, the 10 employees don’t have a gym, but a massage chair and a big-screen television equipped with a Nintendo Wii system.

This all makes sense now.
Greg

Yes. But since Wales is continuously socially massaged like a queen bee on Wikipedia, and physically at the office in the aforementioned chair, one can only imagine that he’s suffering in one little part, from a RELATIVE lack of massage. It’s like it doesn’t matter how rich or poor you are—it’s how you’re doing relative to your neighbors. One part of Jimbo must feel like the local socioeconomically depressed Projects. And thus, the need for the Russia With Love option. I wish I had been a fly on the wall for that. But in my imagination it went something like this, ala Lenny Bruce:

“Spasibo! Amerikansko? Da? Welcome to Intourist Massage. Is best in Moscow!”
“I need a massage. I invented the electronic encyclopedia Wikipedia.”
“Wikipedia… Ah! We know of this Wikipedia! You are Wikipedia Buckaroo?”
“Yes. I have a part of me which isn’t getting massaged enough.”
“Burak? Da. We read of Stroynaya Deva. Is to believe. But we hear you do not play so well with other peoples, so are master of playing with yourself. By yourself? How do you say?”
“We say ‘playing with yourself.’ But that’s Mr. Sanger.”
“Ah! You must be Mr. Wales! We hear of you also! Hokay, we do you. 5,000 rubles for burak only. Eh.. 200 dollar. 6,000 rubles for all-over.”
“Here’s your 200. I’ll need a receipt.”

*edited to fix quoting -Bobby*
Kato
Jimbo Wales: "Because I am like a Rock Star too"

Brutus
What type of massage parlor did he visit?

I don't know why people aren't asking this "hard" question.

Was it the type where they offer a "happy ending" laugh.gif

The following article needs editing, and as they say "This article or section needs sources or references that appear in reliable, third-party publications", ............well there are some now. laugh.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massage_parlor

laugh.gif
Miltopia
What I saw when I opened that article up:

"many massage parlors do offer sexual favors in the form of handjobs and blowjobs for extra moneny usually and under the table deal"
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Miltopia @ Wed 5th March 2008, 10:09am) *

What I saw when I opened that article up:

"many massage parlors do offer sexual favors in the form of handjobs and blowjobs for extra moneny usually and under the table deal"

Unfortunately, that article does not have a world view, so we have no reliable sources on Russian massage parlour etiquette. One has one's suspicions though. I would never, ever, think about going to a massage parlour. You can get a massage at a gym or go to a osteopath or chiropractor. I always assume massage parlours have more in common with lap-dancing clubs than health care.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 4th March 2008, 12:43pm) *

Comments here re: Class of air-travel & Massage parlor receipts (or any receipts at all)

CLASS OF AIR TRAVEL
  1. 501c3 organizations have no obligation to any particular travel class. Of course the "how it looks" factor comes into play in a situation such as this.
  2. But as a matter of point, US Government travel over 8 hours allows for business class. That would comprise most international flights. (Not to defend him, of course, and apparently, he didn't even take advantage of that which would have been perfectly normal, i.e. business class on a long haul - multiple long hauls are very hard on the body. Remember when Dick Cheney went to the hospital for deep vein thrombosis? That's pretty common for people who fly a lot, and good reason to upgrade to business travel as a health measure, not a luxury) Just because it is a 501c3 doesnt mean the senior officers have to suffer. I'm sure the head of the Red Cross flies business. That's just normal. Otherwise, you couldn't attract high-quality staff (who usually could make higher salaries as it stands) to run charities.
MASSAGE PARLOR RECEIPTS (and receipts in general)
  1. The fact that there is a massage receipt in there is just plain STOOPID on his part. Unprofessional would be another criticism, but remember, this is JIMBO we are talking about, so it's not even relevant.
  2. One can claim a certain amount of per diem costs per day. He doesnt need to submit receipts, strictly speaking, for every damned expense, and he should have planned to cost travel in that manner. If he wanted benchmarks, there is a US govt determined cost schedule for "daily costs in Mexico" or "daily costs in Bangladesh", etc, that is useful, allows for the cost of a hotel in the major cities, and a cost of per diem.
  3. Thats how officials of our government travel, and it saves a hell of a lot of trouble tracking tiny expenditures (who cares to see the receipt for the SIM card your trade representative paid for in Mongolia? Surely not the GSA). Our government keeps tabs on official expenditures, but they dont examine them with a freaking microscope, because that costs money.
  4. So if you are a 501c3, and you want to be, like Cesar's wife, above reproach, you can always look at the costing guidelines of the US government (These are public information and published somewhere. I think on a US State Department website, for international travel costs, and probably somewhere else for domestic travel). Easy as pie.
  5. Back to the "Jimbo is a dumbass" point: There's NO reason to have a massage bill on any of his receipts. If he had a medical or therapeutic massage, or a sexual one, isn't at all relevent in terms of finances (apologies to the moralists in the crowd). The only entity to which that receipt could have possibly been useful for submission was his health insurance, if it was medically justified, and covered as a "wellness" procedure (there are insurances that cover this, though they cost a bit more).
  6. So in short, it doesnt matter if he went to a ho-house, or took a therapeutic masseuse (Ive had plenty therapeutic massages after long-haul flights, when my back went out, and they are 100% justified) makes no matter. It was on his own nickel. Now had he simply made a "per diem chargeout" per day cost analysis, he'd not have to submit receipts at all. THAT is the way that he could have paid for a masseuse (sex or not is actually not the issue, of course, until the press starts to pick at the person, as in this case), and been free from critique. He could have eaten top ramen in his cooker in his room, and then gone to see a ho (or physical therapist) with the money he saved off his per diem allocation. Or just paid for it himself. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but that would not be illegal. Or even liable for reproach. THEN the only way he'd be tagged for it is if someone took a picture of him, or something. (I should give classes on how to legally be a sleazebag, huh?)
To recap: Submitting that receipt is just DUMMM. No 'otha' word for it, 'suh'.

To justify the no-receipt policy for small policies, he should have referred to standard operating procedure for official travel of the US government. No better standard exists for a charity with public approval for tax-exempt status.

Receipt tracking is for real expenditures. Furniture, etc. Also, for plane tickets, if you will, but those would normally be handled by the office, and not under his purview (unless he made some last minute changes in which case he should fax copies back to the office, and his PA, or whatever).

This is a case of amateurish, bad planning across the board.

Case closed.

But then, this is Jimbo, baby.

And as we all know, the ignominious, moral-and-human-kindness-free MANCHILD that is Jimbo Wales deserves his day of being fried on the public coals upon which he's allowed so many innocent others (many of them non-notable, but have become painfully notable due to his asshole-ity, and yes, I know, that's not a word) to COOK LIKE HOT BURNING BUTTER.
JohnA
And now, a massage from the Swedish Prime Minister....

....well someone had to do the Monty Python reference... bite me. unsure.gif
The Wales Hunter
QUOTE(Brutus @ Wed 5th March 2008, 9:45am) *

What type of massage parlor did he visit?

I don't know why people aren't asking this "hard" question.

Was it the type where they offer a "happy ending" laugh.gif

The following article needs editing, and as they say "This article or section needs sources or references that appear in reliable, third-party publications", ............well there are some now. laugh.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massage_parlor

laugh.gif

Exactly! Unless something is being lost in translation, men do not go to massage parlours for massages! Well, unless you count rubbing a specific part of the body as being a massage.

The claims being made read to me that Jimbo tried to use Wiki funds to get a handjob off a Russian wacko.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
FORUM Image

BEST.PICTURE.EVER
Moulton
How about this one... ???

FORUM Image
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Wed 5th March 2008, 7:51am) *

..... men do not go to massage parlours for massages! Well, unless you count rubbing a specific part of the body as being a massage.

The claims being made read to me that Jimbo tried to use Wiki funds to get a handjob off a Russian wacko.gif

Metrosexuals do.

I have serious doubts that Jimbo submitted a receipt for a hooker for expense justification. Even Jimbo isn't that dumb, brash or crazy. (of course, I could be wrong about all three)

But I don't "get" why he'd submit a real massage receipt either.

He could have gone and got a receipt for ANYTHINGBUTTHAT, for god's sake.

Go figure!

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 5th March 2008, 8:01am) *

FORUM Image

Was that a reference to Jimbo being called on the carpet? wink.gif
Brutus
I have serious doubts that Jimbo submitted a receipt for a hooker for expense justification. Even Jimbo isn't that dumb, brash or crazy. (of course, I could be wrong about all three)

But I don't "get" why he'd submit a real massage receipt either.

He could have gone and got a receipt for ANYTHINGBUTTHAT, for god's sake.

I'm not too sure about that, just because you're famous doesn't mean you can't do idiotic things.

I can think of one example where a senior government figure resigned in disgrace because he used his expense credit card on visits to the local "massage" joint.

Any investigative journalist worth their salt should be checking out how legit that Moscow massage parlor is.
Nathan
Is it notable? (Sorry, I couldn't resist)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.