Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minority Report : Wikipediot Pre-Crime Squad
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
I think you know what I meme.

Especially if you're a person who's been banned or blocked or just plain defamed by Wikipediots.

How many times have you read some Wikipediot saying that you got banned or blocked or just plain defamed for this or that thing that you supposedly did, when the person saying that is just plain lying or echoing a lie like some kind of brainless robot reverb machine, all without the slightest qualm or scruple to check the facts before broadcasting the lie?

In my case it's been a lot.

Of course, it's all of a pattern with the Wikipediot practice of constantly uttering and publishing myths with no real compunction about checking the facts, whether it's articles, talk pages, policy pages, public lists, IRC gossip, or secret lists.

But it does get just a bit more absurd when the Wiki-Pre-Crime Squad swears that you got arrested and prosecuted for alleged acts that even the most nodding check of the record would show did not occur until after, sometimes long after the arrest and prosecution, if indeed at all.

Jonny cool.gif
Zenwhat
Take your meds.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Zenwhat @ Sat 8th March 2008, 3:47am) *

Take your meds.

Zenwhat, could you be a little ruder, please? We're trying to run a flame-war here.

Seriously, if you object to what Mr. Cache is saying, why not just explain your own view? Insulting other members of the forum who are complaining (rightly or wrongly) about how they've been treated on W isn't helpful.
Nathan
Jon: You've made an excellent point. Spot-on.

In my case, that's happened too many times - from people who more or less echo the lie. Of course since everyone says it, it must be true!

*sarcasm mode* I'll spare you the list of diffs I'd love to have removed permanently because everyone knows that defaming banned users helps the encyclopedia.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Nathan @ Sat 8th March 2008, 12:06am) *

Jon: You've made an excellent point. Spot-on.

In my case, that's happened too many times — from people who more or less echo the lie. Of course since everyone says it, it must be true!

*sarcasm mode* I'll spare you the list of diffs I'd love to have removed permanently because everyone knows that defaming banned users helps the encyclopedia.

Yeah, a year ago I would've been collecting diffs off Wiki-Prevaricadia and gathering choice bits of false witness off the Wikienlist, but honestly, my recovery is so much further along now, and it's clear that those rats will eventually tear each other apart, independently of anything anyone else does, so let the lying dogs sleep.

Jonny cool.gif
everyking
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 8th March 2008, 4:50am) *

QUOTE(Zenwhat @ Sat 8th March 2008, 3:47am) *

Take your meds.

Zenwhat, could you be a little ruder, please? We're trying to run a flame-war here.

Seriously, if you object to what Mr. Cache is saying, why not just explain your own view? Insulting other members of the forum who are complaining (rightly or wrongly) about how they've been treated on W isn't helpful.

Is it a matter of objecting to what he's saying, or understanding what he's saying? I have no idea what Jonny is talking about and virtually never even attempt to read his posts. While I am content to ignore him rather than insult him, that may not be so easy for a newer member.
Somey
QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 8th March 2008, 12:54am) *
Is it a matter of objecting to what he's saying, or understanding what he's saying? I have no idea what Jonny is talking about and virtually never even attempt to read his posts. While I am content to ignore him rather than insult him, that may not be so easy for a newer member.

I thought this particular post was relatively cogent, personally... But what he's essentially saying is that many Wikipedians, to an increasing extent, have found that lying about what another person did or did not do is an effective way of getting what they want, which usually means the banning of the opposition to "win" a dispute. This is made possible by the fact that nobody checks diffs or looks at evidence anymore, even in important ArbCom cases - or if they do, they're perfectly willing to ignore it, misinterpret it, pretend not to understand it, or most likely of all pooh-pooh it, in pursuance of their own need to maintain stature within the hierarchy.

In fact, this is just basic maintenance-phase political gamesmanship. You can't impress people with your productivity or talent anymore, because all the topic areas have been filled in, territories have been firmly established, and most of the glaringly bad crap has been fixed up enough that the vast majority of users see them as "good enough." So you're left with politics as the means of gaining and maintaining influence within the hive. And there's no more effective political ploy than lying about your opponents, like it or not.

And if someone accuses you of lying, well, "AGF," right?
Viridae
QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 8th March 2008, 6:41pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 8th March 2008, 12:54am) *

I thought this particular post was relatively cogent, personally... But what he's essentially saying is that many Wikipedians, to an increasing extent, have found that lying about what another person did or did not do is an effective way of getting what they want, which usually means the banning of the opposition to "win" a dispute. This is made possible by the fact that nobody checks diffs or looks at evidence anymore, even in important ArbCom cases - or if they do, they're perfectly willing to ignore it, misinterpret it, pretend not to understand it, or most likely of all pooh-pooh it, in pursuance of their own need to maintain stature within the hierarchy.

In fact, this is just basic maintenance-phase political gamesmanship. You can't impress people with your productivity or talent anymore, because all the topic areas have been filled in, territories have been firmly established, and most of the glaringly bad crap has been fixed up enough that the vast majority of users see them as "good enough." So you're left with politics as the means of gaining and maintaining influence within the hive. And there's no more effective political ploy than lying about your opponents, like it or not.

And if someone accuses you of lying, well, "AGF," right?

Thankyou for the translation.
Moulton
As in any MMPORG, the predominant practice is to shoot first and don't even bother to ask any questions later.
D.A.F.
Why lying when they can just refer to the lie of the Arbcom? Discrediting like this you mean? VartanM, I believe the information contained in this article was also discussed with the sock of Fadix, from whose material Davo88 created his Sandbox. So, provided that sock was banned, and Fadix's ban was extended by another year, due to persistent personal attacks and individual harassment, I don't see how the information contained there is supposed to have any credibility whatsoever.

Note, the user was caught deliberatl;y misquoting works, manipulating authors words etc., and he finds the way out by referring to the Arbcom.
Jonny Cache
Greg's recent mis-adventures in the WikMyBak&I'llWikYours Forum reminded me of this old theme, one that I had previously aphorized in A Child's Compundium Of Wikipedian Ideology. Among the many Weapons Of Fact Destruction in the Wikipediot arse-nal, one of their favorites is the Time Order Reversal (WP:TOR — OhUh, calm down AB). Which kinda brings to mind the à la P.K. Dick story that informs the plot of Minority Report.

That Is All …

Jonny cool.gif
AB
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sat 8th March 2008, 3:20am) *

Especially if you're a person who's been banned or blocked or just plain defamed by Wikipediots.

How many times have you read some Wikipediot saying that you got banned or blocked or just plain defamed for this or that thing that you supposedly did, when the person saying that is just plain lying or echoing a lie like some kind of brainless robot reverb machine, all without the slightest qualm or scruple to check the facts before broadcasting the lie?

Of course, it's all of a pattern with the Wikipediot practice of constantly uttering and publishing myths with no real compunction about checking the facts, whether it's articles, talk pages, policy pages, public lists, IRC gossip, or secret lists.

But it does get just a bit more absurd when the Wiki-Pre-Crime Squad swears that you got arrested and prosecuted for alleged acts that even the most nodding check of the record would show did not occur until after, sometimes long after the arrest and prosecution, if indeed at all.

Jonny B)

I was with you until the last paragraph. How did you
go from talking about blocking and banning to talking
about arrests and prosecution?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(AB @ Sat 8th March 2008, 12:43pm) *

I was with you until the last paragraph. How did you go from talking about blocking and banning to talking about arrests and prosecution?

Sorry, I shoulda writ wiki-arrest and wiki-prosecution.

Not To Be Confused, of course, with wiki-prostitution, which is wiki-legalized there.

Jonny cool.gif
AB
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sat 8th March 2008, 5:48pm) *
QUOTE(AB @ Sat 8th March 2008, 12:43pm) *
I was with you until the last paragraph. How did you go from talking about blocking and banning to talking about arrests and prosecution?

Sorry, I shoulda writ wiki-arrest and wiki-prosecution.

Not To Be Confused, of course, with wiki-prostitution, which is wiki-legalized there.

Jonny B)

Ah, it all makes sense now.

Yes, I agree with you on this completely. I think.

Zenwhat
QUOTE(AB @ Sat 8th March 2008, 5:43pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

I was with you until the last paragraph. How did you
go from talking about blocking and banning to talking
about arrests and prosecution?

<!--begin satire--!>
Pardon my boldness and italicizedness, por favor.

But surely, you Canada understand what Johnny Kashmir is pontificating a boot?

Do I need to transexualate, mon ami?

Mussolini and Hitler "didn't get it," either.

Zenwhat cool.gif

<!--end satire--!>
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Zenwhat @ Sat 8th March 2008, 3:01pm) *

<!--begin satire--!>
Pardon my boldness and italicizedness, por favor.

But surely, you Canada understand what Johnny Kashmir is pontificating a boot?

Do I need to transexualate, mon ami?

Mussolini and Hitler "didn't get it," either.

Zenwhat cool.gif

<!--end satire--!>

Dear Zentwat,

For legal reasons, it is customary to include a standard disclaimer with these unsolicited forms of wiki-psychodiagnosis. In your case some form of words like I Am Merely A Streetcorner Shrink (IAMASS) would probably be appropriate.

Jonny cool.gif
Count DeMonet

I was thinking about this last night, whereas I can appreciate the resonances with the particular Philip K Dick work cited, I think there's a stronger and more obvious one as well.

Consider the Sole Co-founders revisionist position on the role Larry Sanger played in the inception of WP. Consider also his spin on his soft core pr0n site Bomis as a 'web portal'. Then we have his recent protestations regarding his tryst (or alleged lack thereof!) with his right-wing Canadian psycho-booty*, not to mention the receipts for ahem!... personal services and expensive bottles of plonk.

We're definitely in the area of P.K. Dick's 'We can remember it for you wholesale' here, since that deals with the theme of implanted false mamories memories.

*Quest que cest? Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better Run run run run run run run away Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh.

Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Count DeMonet @ Tue 11th March 2008, 6:58am) *

I was thinking about this last night, whereas I can appreciate the resonances with the particular Philip K Dick work cited, I think there's a stronger and more obvious one as well.

Consider the Sole Co-founders revisionist position on the role Larry Sanger played in the inception of WP. Consider also his spin on his soft core pr0n site Bomis as a 'web portal'. Then we have his recent protestations regarding his tryst (or alleged lack thereof!) with his right-wing Canadian psycho-booty*, not to mention the receipts for ahem! … personal services and expensive bottles of plonk.

We're definitely in the area of P.K. Dick's 'We can remember it for you wholesale' here, since that deals with the theme of implanted false mamories memories.

*Quest que cest? Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better Run run run run run run run away Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh.

Why do you think they have that rule about Don't Be A Dick (WP:¬BAD) ??? — they know he was Wise In Advance to them.

The Man In The Eight Mile High Castle,

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Count DeMonet @ Tue 11th March 2008, 7:58am) *

At any Kohs family get-together involving all 4 siblings, we invariably break out the guitars, and "Psycho Killer" is a mandatory song on the set list. True.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.