Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's JzG time for Utah Gerard
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > David Gerard
Piperdown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WQA#User:David_Gerard

my fav from the Morven School of Circular Reasoning (sound familiar, wordbomb?):

Calling poor judgment poor judgment is not an assumption of bad faith..... Matthew Brown (Morven) (T:C) 20:07, 9 March 2008 (UTC)

still waiting on that apology, dave. I doubt Utah is though. They're a pretty forgiving & sober lot, and easy to pick on.
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Tue 11th March 2008, 2:19am) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WQA#User:David_Gerard

my fav from the Morven School of Circular Reasoning (sound familiar, wordbomb?):

Standard operating procedure. Connected admins get to be pricks and wallow in the mud, thereby lowering the standards of behavior. When others follow their lead, those who toe the line get a pass. While those who don't, typically editors defending themselves in kind from abusive admins for not seeing things the "right way", get lots of blocks and eventually run out of the place.

Morven's preening and fawning over David is an example of social grooming.

FORUM Image
Proabivouac
I can't recall having interacted with David Gerard, but from what I've seen, he provides one of the most obvious examples of how "made" contributors are completely exempt from the expectations to which others (e.g. Giano) are held to very strictly.
Piperdown
Wow. Patrick Byrne reads the wikipediot act for David Gerard. Fascinating to see yet another intellectual heavyweight wade into Jimmy's Kiddie Pool full of usenet freaks, teenage shut-ins, and quiet-house refugees from life....

Well, David Gerard, I see precisely the same old "Argument from Stern Authority" that corrupted the discourse so badly that it took your community about a year to see something that is blindly obvious to everyone now. I would have thought that having on your hands three articles whose history more or less indicts this project (including one on me) would have taught you a little humility. Instead, you repeat tired claims in the hope it makes them sound true. The fact is, Judd followed the rules in trying to expose MM, and SlimVirgin posed as a neutral arbiter but betrayed that role. Your founder, Jimbo Wales, interceded and asked the entire community to take his word that he had checked into it, and MM was not a sock-puppet. Judd/WordBomb got crafty, indeed, but in the end proved that SlimVirgin was wrong and Jimbo's word was false. Bombast all you please, but the fact remains: Judd proved that your system itself was in the wrong, but had to step outside your system to prove it. Was he right to do so? I think yes: The fact that Wikipedia still holds as a constitutional principle that WordBomb is wrong, but prevents precisely one person from engaging in that debate (WordBomb himself), tells me not only that he was right before, but also, that the deeper significances of ''l'affaire du MM'' has still not sunk in. Until you permit a free debate on this subject, you may as well be lecturing me sternly about the unanimity of popular support for Kim Jong-il in North Korea. Besides that, most of your claims about Judd are just flat falsehoods, which everyone would understand if Judd was actually permitted to defend himself in the discussion rooms of "The Encyclopedia that Anyone Can Edit!" And lastly, No, I will not intercede with the press and Judd. Partly that is because Judd is his own boss these days. Partly because they are calling him these days, trying to get their heads around this story, and he has waited for that for a long time. But mostly it's because it appears that Dave Gerard's kind of nonsense still corrupts the discourse here, so Wikipedia will never address some fundamental truths about itself, so someone else is going to have to write it for them. I regret that - I am not a vengeful guy - I don't give a toss about the page on me. I see many here are honest and straight, and seem to want to do what is right. But I still see other playground bullies toss their weight around here, and as a result this community let a cover-up persist. You have taken care of the MM problem, but you do not yet see that this all happened because you jettisoned basic procedural fairness, and until this community reclaims it I am not inclined to request that Judd not answer the phone. As far as I can tell, the free press is the only thing that got this community acting with any decency so far. Respectfully [[User:PatrickByrne|PatrickByrne]] ([[User talk:PatrickByrne|talk]]) 10:00, 31 May 2008 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=216160861

read User:PatrickByrne's recent user contribution history, that's one wikiportfolio I really enjoy wikistalking. These days he's showing John Nevard up for the shallow Fox-News-Depth moron that he is.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Tue 11th March 2008, 2:55am) *

I can't recall having interacted with David Gerard, but from what I've seen, he provides one of the most obvious examples of how "made" contributors are completely exempt from the expectations to which others (e.g. Giano) are held to very strictly.

You have, but you wouldn't know it.

He has socks inside his socks.
Aloft

He's the one who once said of Cla68, "He's not here to write an encyclopedia." That statement alone should tell you how much of an utter moron he is.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 11th March 2008, 7:24am) *

Standard operating procedure. Connected admins get to be pricks and wallow in the mud, thereby lowering the standards of behavior. When others follow their lead, those who toe the line get a pass. While those who don't, typically editors defending themselves in kind from abusive admins for not seeing things the "right way", get lots of blocks and eventually run out of the place.

Morven's preening and fawning over David is an example of social grooming.
IPB Image

Indeed. Archeologists of the future will have, statistically, an easier time of it to follow the Who-Kisses-Who's_Ass? Question, on the-early-Wikipedia, because so many of the social grooming acts leave their own electronic countable symbol, like a smiley, on the groomee's space. It's called a "barnstar." Count `em up, Dr. Future-Goodall!
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 15th June 2008, 10:53am) *

He's the one who once said of Cla68, "He's not here to write an encyclopedia." That statement alone should tell you how much of an utter moron he is.

I was just thinking about that this morning. Anyone have a link?
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sun 15th June 2008, 10:37pm) *

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 15th June 2008, 10:53am) *

I was just thinking about that this morning. Anyone have a link?

Google, WR and MedLibrary.org (surely some mistake) are your friends
Milton Roe
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Sun 15th June 2008, 9:42pm) *

With the thing being made all the worse by the fact that there's a whole lot more evidence to support the fact that Cla68 is there to write an encyclopedia, than that David Gerard is. In a strip poker game comparing diffs, Gerard would be down to one sock in no time. So to speak.

Oh, but I forgot-- different rules for the elite. But one shouldn't think of them as enemies, so I'm told. They're just other people with another point of view. There is no objective reality about who is better at making an encyclopedia. All opinions are equal.

Unless you're on WP, in which case some opinions are more equal than others.
Piperdown
this is hilarious. a self-professed "SPA" makes one edit to "apologize" to Patrick Byrne about the Gary Weiss Era of WP.

Well, that makes things right then. Only on WP can a one edit anonymous sock account "stand up" and represent. That has all the ethical consistency of the weblives of Wales, Gerard, and Mack, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=210482698

Revision as of 15:03, 6 June 2008 (edit) (undo)
OneofmanySPAs (Talk | contribs)
(→An apology from WP: new section)

== An apology from WP ==

I thought it would be prudent to do this from a new account, but I think me and several other WP'ers owe you an apology over the whole GW thing.

Take care. [[User:OneofmanySPAs|OneofmanySPAs]] ([[User talk:OneofmanySPAs|talk]]) 15:03, 6 June 2008 (UTC)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.