Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Byrne/Bagley Share Wikipediamania! with 1500 NYC'ers
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Piperdown

Current revision (15:33, 12 March 2008) (edit) (undo)
PatrickByrne (Talk | contribs)
(→Clerk to block Byrne)

:::I'm fine with this, so long as it is done no sooner than 12 months after we close the door on Mantanmoreland, who has been doing the same thing for at least a year longer than Byrne has. [[User:GRBerry|GRBerry]] 14:43, 5 March 2008 (UTC)

+
'''Patrick's motion to oppose''': I oppose being banned as well. In my defense, I am new to Wikipedia, and knowing that I might have been flouting some such rules, refrained from going on the public-facing pages. In restricting myself to these pages I assumed that I could not be corrupting the discourse in the same way that Judd and I have accused others of doing on those more public pages. Some might reply that my contributions here corrupt the ''meta''-discourse, to which I would answer, you're all adults here, you can handle less rigid, more free-wheeling debate. In addition, I do not think it is possible to understand the case of Mantanmoreland without understanding the larger puzzle in which it is simply one piece, for reasons I could only argue by reference to that larger puzzle. In addition, I have switched to less-intrusive and Wiki-policy-flouting writing as soon as someone showed me how to do that (e.g., my whitewash essay). In addition, I just got my first real lesson on using Wikipedia this morning (from Judd, who is, incidentally, here in NYC with me to give a talk to 1,500 people about these rather strange events: we agreed that his talk will not be a condemnation of Wikipedia itself, for which we have much respect, but rather an analysis of how one person managed to manipulate its rules, albeit with some protection from above). So for all these reasons, while I deeply appreciate the slack that has been cut me already, and promise to be less instrusive in this debate, I think that exluding me altogether from it would be as unfair as...it was to vilify Judd while prohibiting him or anyone who agreed with him from having a voice.

LOL!

GeorgeWilliamDullard was the suggesting party, I believe. No one signed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=196890336
guy
to which I would answer, you're all adults here, you can handle less rigid, more free-wheeling debate.

unsure.gif
Piperdown
QUOTE(guy @ Wed 12th March 2008, 9:20pm) *

QUOTE(Patrick Byrne)
to which I would answer, you're all adults here.

unsure.gif

Lol. Byrne is assuming too much about the badmin teenager posse' on WP.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Wed 12th March 2008, 3:38pm) *

Lol. Byrne is assuming too much about the badmin teenager posse' on WP.

He's assuming normality.

You can't blame him.

It's just that he hasn't hung out sufficiently to see that that place is about as far from normal as you can get. That's all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.