Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wales to Soros to Weiss
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Gary Weiss and his cavalcade of socks
Piperdown
check it out. Jimbo attended George Soros's Birthday party.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/technolo...r=1&oref=slogin

Gary is the #1 Watchdog of the Soros article. As Samiharris in the last year, and to a lesser extent MM before that.

As his friend on/off-WP, Chris "tofurio" Faille noted in GW book review, Gary is very interested in George Soros in his book too.

Comparisons to Prem Warat (sp?) article? Well, Gary isn't exactly (as far as we know) working for the BLP subject directly (as Jossi is for Prem), but then I don't think Jimbo personally attends Prem Birthdays, either.

Disgust amongst yourselves......i didn't edit Soros, but I believe the big stink there was that folks wanted to include criticism of Soros from a very high-profile incident(s) with American Fox TV commentator Bill O'Reilly commenting on Soros. It was negative. Unlike negative commentary (not journalism, editorialism) on Byrne, GW was all to happy to NOT include reliable source negative commentary on Soros. To an extreme in an edit war, fwiw.
KamrynMatika
Even the NYT describes him as a cult leader:

Since he helped create Wikipedia in 2001, Jimmy Wales has been called many things: benevolent dictator, constitutional monarch, digital evangelist and spiritual leader of the tens of thousands of volunteers who have made the online encyclopedia one of the top 10 most visited Web sites.
Piperdown
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Mon 17th March 2008, 5:08pm) *

Even the NYT describes him as a cult leader:

Since he helped create Wikipedia in 2001, Jimmy Wales has been called many things: benevolent dictator, constitutional monarch, digital evangelist and spiritual leader of the tens of thousands of volunteers who have made the online encyclopedia one of the top 10 most visited Web sites.

wp should, asap, convert wp from non-profit to profit biz, and just go ahead and fuck over all the slaves who have built their top 10 site for them. Which I believe they moved to SF to do. Jimmy's not that stupid. He's going to be a very rich man, and the badmins surrounding him and their mutual abuse of WP rules, hope to ride that gravy train.

Its all about the $..... Always.

But let's keep this thread on the Wales/Soros/Weiss possible abuse of WP.

badlydrawnjeff
I'm kind of surprised Jimbo runs with Soros at all.
Piperdown
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Mon 17th March 2008, 5:19pm) *

soros is a very, very, very rich man.

soros has a BLP on WP, and is probably very sensitive to what it on it. most BLP's are. they're human. that human has more money than his god.

soros, whether unknowingly or not, has a huge fan in GW with a lot of free time, editing WP.

possible Birthday party conversation:

GS - Jimbo, someone's trying to fuck me over with Bill O'Reilly quotes on my WP article
JW - OK, we'll take care of that. Can you donate some $ too?
GS - GW is making sure the article keeps O'Reilly out of it, and he's getting a hard time from your "community". If you ban GW, I won't be donating. Understand?
JW - I have no problem with that.
thekohser
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Mon 17th March 2008, 1:25pm) *

...possible Birthday party conversation:

GS - Jimbo, someone's trying to fuck me over with Bill O'Reilly quotes on my WP article
GS - GW is making sure the article keeps O'Reilly out of it, and he's getting a hard time from your "community". If you ban GW, I won't be donating. Understand?
JW - I have no problem with that.

Considering Jimbo's apparent level of comprehension of things, I imagine the conversation somewhat differently:

JW - Wait, let me write that down so I remember it. GW is patroling the article about whom?
GS - About me!
JW - Oh, about you. Okay. And you want GW banned before you'll donate?
GS - No, you nimrod, it's the other way around! If you ban GW, my article's going to start looking bad, and in that situation, I wouldn't donate any $ to you.
JW - Oh, okay. So you want us to make GW a secret admin or some such, so that your article will look good and then you can pay us money?
GS - Yes, that's it.
JW - I have no problem with that. How do you spell GW?
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Mon 17th March 2008, 10:19am) *

I'm not. Here we learn of a $40K grant to Wikimedia from Soros' Open Society Institute. Plus, both Jimbo and Soros made their dough through parasitical speculation -- birds of a feather, etc.
WordBomb
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Mon 17th March 2008, 11:00am) *

Gary is the #1 Watchdog of the Soros article. As Samiharris in the last year, and to a lesser extent MM before that.
To be fair, by dear PD, I think Weiss is on balance rather adversarial toward Soros.

I can't recall precisely where I read this (be it on WP, or in Weiss's Mediacrity blog, or on his eponymous one), but he seems to fault Soros for pretending to be a Christian in his teens (when the alternative was extermination).
Piperdown
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 17th March 2008, 8:55pm) *

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Mon 17th March 2008, 11:00am) *

To be fair, by dear PD, I think Weiss is on balance rather adversarial toward Soros.

I can't recall precisely where I read this (be it on WP, or in Weiss's Mediacrity blog, or on his eponymous one), but he seems to fault Soros for pretending to be a Christian in his teens (when the alternative was extermination).

his cat sure didn't like anyone quoting O'Reilly in Soros's BLP, lol. Maybe he just hates O'Reilly, but that isn't unusual for anyone ;-)

Using yellow 'journalism' in BLP's, whether its Byrne (Nocera's "meltdown" quote, anything from Greenberg) or Soros (O'Reilly is reliably talking out of his ass on most anything) is something i'm not in favour of, but that brings up a gray area for WP POV warriors (like Gary) to pick & choose WP:RS from friendly shock-jock commentators vs unfriendly ones. It leads to the JzG syndrome of WP:RSbutDONTLIKE (Cade Metz, who actually tried to do some investigative journalism and not just throw out "I heard <BLP> had a meltdown, and/or is Dr Evil bent on controlling the world!" type statement.

You can't get any more obvious than what Samiharris did in Patrick M Byrne vs George Soros.

I doubt Arrival of Another Meathead Tony, The will look into that, lol.
badlydrawnjeff
Well, more the ideological makeup than anything else - I can't imagine that Wales and Soros have much in common.

Then again, I think Soros is dumb enough to think GeorgeWilliamHerbert = GeorgeHerbertWalkerBush, so maybe I should shush.
Daniel Brandt
The Soros website says that during the 1980s Soros funded Eastern European dissidents and organizations including Solidarity in Poland (Solidarity was CIA-funded also).

In 1989, representatives of the China Fund, founded by George Soros, were arrested by Chinese authorities for alleged CIA connections (Washington Post, 1989-08-08, p.A4).

In 1994-95, Russia's Federal Counterintelligence Service twice accused Soros-funded research centers, institutes and aid organizations of spying on Russia (Washington Post, 1995-01-14, p.A17).

For a long time Soros has been buying his way into media and communications infrastructure in former Eastern-bloc nations. In my opinion, his programs have all the earmarks of the CIA's funding of Western cultural activities at the height of the Cold War.

Of course Soros likes Wikipedia! It's a perfect way to embrace, extend, and untimately control the "free" expression of ideas in countries that were once opposed to Western-style capitalism.

Soros and Jimbo make a perfect match. The real difference is that Soros has a master plan, while Jimbo merely wants to be a rock star and meet more women.
Kato
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Mon 17th March 2008, 10:21pm) *

Soros and Jimbo make a perfect match. The real difference is that Soros has a master plan, while Jimbo merely wants to be a rock star and meet more women.

Though I imagine that Soros and Jimbo's association is minor and inconsequential, in their different ways, they are wielding the same axe against society. The activities of both men serve to undermine established Institutions, no matter which Institutions they are, or where they are.

"Brothers Without Borders". dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.