Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hivemind
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Alison
Fuck you, Brandt mad.gif

Guess I've very little to fear now.

... except the knock on the door. All I ever did was try to defend others, now I have to defend myself. Fuck you!
Daniel Brandt
Lar has quietly restored Alison's admin and checkuser sysop bits, at her request. Today I spent hours reading Amorrow's website, and familiarizing myself with Alison's extensive presence on the web outside of Wikipedia. For years, and as recently as a month ago, Alison has made little effort to protect her identity in terms of her full name, where she lives, and where she works. There are pictures of herself and her close friends posted on her own domain, registered in her name. All this is in stark contrast to her claim that stalking is a problem. I concluded that Alison and her friends in the Cabal are more of a threat than Amorrow because Alison demonstrates an intent to deceive. Therefore, I put Alison on hivemind.

I believe we've been hoodwinked through the use of clever over-dramatization, and that the Amorrow issue in particular, and the "stalking" issue in general, is a red herring that's used to slap down Wikipedia's critics whenever the occasion arises. I also suspect that this Cabalist tactic might be coordinated at a high level — perhaps the architect is SlimVirgin herself.
Alison
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 12:31am) *

Lar has quietly restored Alison's admin and checkuser sysop bits, at her request. Today I spent hours reading Amorrow's website, and familiarizing myself with Alison's extensive presence on the web outside of Wikipedia. For years, and as recently as a month ago, Alison has made little effort to protect her identity in terms of her full name, where she lives, and where she works. There are pictures of herself and her close friends posted on her own domain, registered in her name. All this is in stark contrast to her claim that stalking is a problem. I concluded that Alison and her friends in the Cabal are more of a threat than Amorrow because Alison demonstrates an intent to deceive. Therefore, I put Alison on hivemind.

I believe we've been hoodwinked through the use of clever over-dramatization, and that the Amorrow issue in particular, and the "stalking" issue in general, is a red herring that's used to slap down Wikipedia's critics whenever the occasion arises. I also suspect that this Cabalist tactic might be coordinated at a high level — perhaps the architect is SlimVirgin herself.

Lar did that for one last task, you wazzock. It's says so in the meta logs. I have to provide information to ArbCom for one last request to finish something. Go read ---> Restore rights per private request, to finish an important task

Slimvirgin indeed! You shithead. We don't get on at all!! Christ! She accused me repeatedly of leaking the Sooper Sekrit list and for all I know, still thinks that.

Cabalistic! You silly fuck.

Well, that genie's now well out of the bottle now, I guess. I don't have to fear you, just the ramifications of having someone show up at my door, is all.

I'm still here. I still care. You drag this site into the dirt. Fuck you! Go seek help for your rampant paranoia. You make me laugh.

All that MONGO stuff on my talk page - a cwevver orchestrated plan, of course. And the PoopOn guy and recall - yep, all part of the master plan, right? Jesus.
Viridae
Such language! tongue.gif

Seriously brandt you are about as in touch with whats happening on wikipedia as jimbo is.
Alison
QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 21st March 2008, 12:46am) *

Such language! tongue.gif

Seriously brandt you are about as in touch with whats happening on wikipedia as jimbo is.

Hey, Viridae, let me say one thing. At least I don't judge the folks on WR on the basis of that clueless moron above. Other people on WP will, most likely. I wish they wouldn't - he's not exactly representative.

Hey - I'm staying Straight Shooter. There's no games here. No Slimvirgin. No Cabal. It's business as usual for me, far as I'm concerned and I don't particularly care whether people see me as some shady Cabalist or not. By their deeds shall you know them. Right now I feel like the Jehovah guy, to be honest.

Oh, and fuck you, Brandt. mad.gif
Somey
Well, at least you don't work for Microsoft. That really would be disappointing...

We can probably convince Daniel to "revert" himself at some point, but in the meantime, maybe it would help to place some other pages on the internet in various places that give different last names for you? I mean, even the Governor of California himself had to go through, like, three different Sarah Connors before he got to the one he wanted. And when he finally did find the right one, it ended up actually being Linda_Hamilton! And now they're saying it was really Lena_Headey the whole time!

The average run-of-the-mill stalker could easily get confused, I should think.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 21st March 2008, 2:11am) *

We can probably convince Daniel to "revert" himself at some point...

If Alison deletes the redirect from Daniel_Brandt to Public_Information_Research and makes it stick, I'll delete her hivemind entry. Normally she would first have to assassinate JoshuaZ, but now that he is deadminned, a simple kneecapping might do the trick.

Alison
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:17am) *

If Alison deletes the redirect from Daniel_Brandt to Public_Information_Research and makes it stick, I'll delete her hivemind entry. Normally she would first have to assassinate JoshuaZ, but now that he is deadminned, a simple kneecapping might do the trick.

Aren't you the funny one rolleyes.gif

Genie. Bottle. Out.
One
What if they replaced it with a soft redirect? That is, so that it wasn't a direct substitution. Nobody would want to link to a soft redirect, so wouldn't its Google ranking fall?

The virtue of this plan is that it wouldn't require "abuse" of adminship.

EDIT: aw it's protected. Nevermind. How draconian.
Somey
QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 21st March 2008, 2:20am) *
Genie. Bottle. Out.

So at least in your opinion, nobody would have (or did) connect your material on cooties.eu with your WP user account before now? If someone had been determined to confront you in person prior to this, I should think they would have been able to manage it without your being included on the hivemind page.

I'm not saying I agree that you should be included, of course... In fact I disagree, but that would be hard to accept.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(One @ Fri 21st March 2008, 2:24am) *

What if they replaced it with a soft redirect? That is, so that it wasn't a direct substitution. Nobody would want to link to a soft redirect, so wouldn't it's Google ranking fall?

The virtue of this plan is that it wouldn't require "abuse" of adminship.

EDIT: aw it's protected. Nevermind. How draconian.

Too many legacy links already, which will never go away:

PageRank for en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Brandt = 6 / 10

The external backlink count for this page in Yahoo = 181
link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Brandt -site:en.wikipedia.org

PLUS another 492 links to that URL from inside Wikipedia, according to Yahoo.

Forget abuseadminship, what about abuse of BLP?
Alison
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:11am) *

Well, at least you don't work for Microsoft. That really would be disappointing...

I do have my standards, y'know! biggrin.gif Twenty-plus years as a paid nerdling and I've not had to deal with the Dark Side.

BTW: For those who want to talk about editing during work hours. I work very strange hours indeed and my time is largely my own. I'm judged on my output and I get a lot of work done for the Fruit Company.

Oh and I'm over 40, BTW. Thanks for the compliment.

PS: Fuck you, Brandt! mad.gif

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:30am) *

QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 21st March 2008, 2:20am) *
Genie. Bottle. Out.

So at least in your opinion, nobody would have (or did) connect your material on cooties.eu with your WP user account before now? If someone had been determined to confront you in person prior to this, I should think they would have been able to manage it without your being included on the hivemind page.

I'm not saying I agree that you should be included, of course... In fact I disagree, but that would be hard to accept.

They actually haven't/didn't. Point is this, though; Brandt's site is a focal point for that stuff, all neatly collated for the discerning troublemaker. Having to do a bit of digwork is usually enough to put off the casual idiot, and not everyone knows what WHOIS, etc, is.

Shame about that dreadful pic, though. Hilda Ogden on an off-day.
Kato
QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 21st March 2008, 7:37am) *

Slimvirgin indeed! You shithead. We don't get on at all!! Christ! She accused me repeatedly of leaking the Sooper Sekrit list and for all I know, still thinks that.

Yeah that came as a bit of a shock. I didn't realize you were a stooge in SlimVirgin's masterplan. Why didn't you say earlier?

There are questions to be raised about the Morrow-Meme that emanates from WP, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if major exaggerations have taken place, wittingly or not. Well we know that major exaggerations have taken place, and we can thank JzG for muddying those waters.

But I think DB is not himself on other aspects of this matter and Viridae might have a point. The Slimbo Jimbo revolution has withered significantly for one. And Alison's record shows only the odd lapse of judgment surrounded by many good faith acts, not "devious intent" from what I can see.

QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 21st March 2008, 8:44am) *

Hilda Ogden on an off-day.

Hey. Nowt wrong with that, cocker.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 21st March 2008, 2:30am) *

Her site is linked on ED, a high-traffic site. Alison announced this ED link on WR, our low-traffic site. And Alison reponded to MONGO on her talk page, when MONGO offered to try and get it off of ED, that she didn't much care: "I do however, appreciate the fact that they have naïvely linked to my website, where I have full access to all incoming HTTP-REFERER headers and IP addresses. That particular dose of lulz ... is on me (wink.gif) - Alison ? 20:17, 2 March 2008 (UTC)"
Alison
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:48am) *

Her site is linked on ED, a high-traffic site. Alison announced this ED link on WR, our low-traffic site. And Alison reponded to MONGO on her talk page, when MONGO offered to try and get it off of ED, that she didn't much care: "I do however, appreciate the fact that they have naïvely linked to my website, where I have full access to all incoming HTTP-REFERER headers and IP addresses. That particular dose of lulz ... is on me (wink.gif) - Alison ? 20:17, 2 March 2008 (UTC)"

Absolutely! ED have already had their lulz moments with me. They wanna link to my userpage - their loss. Play games with me and talk about using my kids as sex toys - I get to play with them.

I already solemnly swore I'd not do anything like that here, and that still stands. ED are a different kettle of monkeys. Here's my last comment to MONGO, BTW. We're really close, y'know rolleyes.gif

Honestly, Mr. Brandt, while you're an intelligent man, you're socially clueless. What a fuckhead you are.

Anything else you'd like to say about MONGO, the guy who wanted my checkuser bit last month and can't go a week without badmouthing me about WR? Get a clue, willya?

PS: It's 2am and I'm off to bed. Go to hell, Brandt
Daniel Brandt
The point is, for me at least, that if Amorrow wanted to find you (which I sincerely doubt), he certainly wouldn't need a hivemind entry to make it happen. Anyone else you know about who's looking for you? Osama bin Laden perhaps?
One
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 8:48am) *

That's revealing.

Not even worth bothering to remove it from here, but resigning CU for fear that Brandt might post a surname, which of course he does. Hell, I doubt we would have even noticed that Brandt added her if she didn't start this thread. Unfortunate events.

Anyhow, I hope "Genie. Bottle. Out." means that you'll retain your rights on Wikipedia?
Lar
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 4:59am) *

The point is, for me at least, that if Amorrow wanted to find you (which I sincerely doubt), he certainly wouldn't need a hivemind entry to make it happen. Anyone else you know about who's looking for you? Osama bin Laden perhaps?

Your judgement about Amorrow and his intentions is not exactly going to make anyone sleep well at night. I keep thinking I can't think less of you than I already do, and then you go and surprise me. I repeat my suggestion that you turn your not inconsiderable sleuthing skills to bear on Amorrow... see if you can definitively answer what sort of legal runins he's had and why. That might be a useful thing to do.
Aloft
Why is it okay for Wikipedia to post people's pictures and information but not Brandt?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Aloft @ Fri 21st March 2008, 6:19am) *

Why is it okay for Wikipedia to post people's pictures and information but not Brandt?

WP:CIW (Cuz I Wanna)

Jonny cool.gif
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 8:17am) *

Looks like the redirect has been deleted. See here.

That still leaves Daniel L. Brandt and Daniel Leslie Brandt
dtobias
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 3:31am) *

Lar has quietly restored Alison's admin and checkuser sysop bits, at her request. Today I spent hours reading Amorrow's website, and familiarizing myself with Alison's extensive presence on the web outside of Wikipedia.

You really do have some time on your hands with nothing useful to do, don't you?

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 3:31am) *

For years, and as recently as a month ago, Alison has made little effort to protect her identity in terms of her full name, where she lives, and where she works. There are pictures of herself and her close friends posted on her own domain, registered in her name. All this is in stark contrast to her claim that stalking is a problem. I concluded that Alison and her friends in the Cabal are more of a threat than Amorrow because Alison demonstrates an intent to deceive. Therefore, I put Alison on hivemind.

And you really are on the Bizarro World... she's been very open about personal details, which "demonstrates an intent to deceive." Her happening to be on the same side as some "Cabalists" on one issue after a long record of opposing the Cabal on many things proves that she's part of the Cabal or at least friends with it. And all of this makes her a bigger threat than a creepy person who has managed to be banned from both WP and WR (and seems to be working at getting banned from ED as well). Eat Blue Kryptonite and die.
Lar
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Fri 21st March 2008, 8:19am) *

Not any more. Done for the same reasons that WJBScribe did the initial delete, same rationale and logic apply, not done because of anything done or said here, other than to bring this to my attention. Are there any others?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Lar @ Fri 21st March 2008, 8:52am) *

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Fri 21st March 2008, 8:19am) *

Not any more. Done for the same reasons that WJBScribe did the initial delete, same rationale and logic apply, not done because of anything done or said here, other than to bring this to my attention. Are there any others?

Lucky You! You now have a job for life …

Jonny cool.gif
UseOnceAndDestroy
Once again, minus the histrionics:

Daniel Brandt did not break into Alison's PC and put her details on the whois record for her homepage.

He did not - one example - associate that name with a big bloody picture of Alison on Twitter that comes up first page in a google search and confirms its the right Alison.

So why is Daniel Brandt really being demonised? What are you trying to hide with all the screaming and shouting?
SirFozzie
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Fri 21st March 2008, 9:38am) *

Daniel Brandt did not break into Alison's PC and put her details on the whois record for her homepage.

He did not - one example - associate that name with a big bloody picture of Alison on Twitter that comes up first page in a google search and confirms its the right Alison.

So why is Daniel Brandt really being demonised? What are you trying to hide with all the screaming and shouting?

Because he threatened Alison to get me to back off in an argument, and now he's basically blackmailing Alison to try to get what he wants.

Congratulations, Daniel, you paranoid little fuckhead, you went that one step too far and showed the world what a complete fucking asshole you are.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:53pm) *

Because he threatened Alison to get me to back off in an argument, and now he's basically blackmailing Alison to try to get what he wants.

Congratulations, Daniel, you paranoid little fuckhead, you went that one step too far and showed the world what a complete fucking asshole you are.

"Threatened" with...erm... reproducing the information she put on the internet herself.

The histrionics are still a cover. You've all been caught out being daft, and you're trying to distract it from it by pointing to something irrelevant, and making up a load of scary-sounding non-specific waffle.

(Cue flurry of swearing in place of actual discussion.)
Jonny Cache

Ay, there's the nub.

Jonny cool.gif
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 21st March 2008, 7:53am) *

Been there, done that.

SlimVirgin on 2006-04-29:
Brandt is apparently trying to blackmail people ... it is ugly behavior.

SlimVirgin on 2007-06-14:
We need to get rid of that article. We've subjected Brandt to hundreds of thousands of words of debate, 14 AfDs, I don't know how many DRVs -- wall-to-wall bickering and childishness for 18 sorry months. We've allowed his article to be edited by any anonymous teenager who turns up with a grudge, and the decision to keep the wretched thing has been made 13 times by people who normally edit Star Trek. We've made complete fools of ourselves as a project. No matter the merits of the article, the process he's been put through is totally unacceptable by any standard. We've shown we can't be trusted with a Brandt bio, and we should delete it for that reason alone, no matter how notable any of us thinks he is.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 21st March 2008, 8:59am) *

Alison has had problems with other stalker-type people too. I don't particularly go in for SlimVirgin's level of 'oooooooh help me, I'm being stalked!' and I think crying wolf all the time lessens the meaning of the accusation when it's actually true. But on the other hand, that's not really what I've seen Alison do- there is more than one wierdo online and Alison says she's had hastle from another one.

As to motive- Brandt's admittted he did it to rile SirFozzie- he took a woman as collateral damage just to annoy someone else.

Oh and I looked and couldn't find Alison's surname from the ED article or the link to her site. That she has been so mellow about the ED paragraph is a credit to her, rather than some who would cry "ZOMG harrassment, stalkers!"
dtobias
While Alison is clearly not one of the Cabal, whatever silly theories Brandt may state, she's lately acting unsettlingly like JzG... not only endorsing his "Banned is banned... scorch the earth under anything to do with that evil banned user!" philosophy, but even emulating him by dropping out from Wikipedia in a storm of drama, then quietly coming back with some vague, unspecified special mission.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Aloft @ Fri 21st March 2008, 10:19am) *

You mean have an article on people who've already been in other articles? Or have they posted private individual's pictures and information? (I know that arguably they've sometimes mentioned user's real life info if they don't like them, but they don't have it all there with pics etc and a site just for the purpose.
Moulton
This thread is a low point in the long-burbling conflict between WP and those who have variously been annoyed, upset, aggrieved, or outraged by the machinations of the powers that be on WP.

I am especially saddened to note that a small handful of players who take the essential core values of ethics and fairness seriously have been sucked into the maelstrom without a shred of progress in promoting the wider adoption of those essential values.

I fear that this kind of misadventure will continue for the indefinite future, given Wikipedia's unwillingness, intransigence, and inability to advance to a more professional level of system organization, suitable for a respectable media enterprise.
Jonathan
The way Brandt is being treated over all this is an absolute disgrace. All Brandt wanted was for the redirect of his name to PIR to be deleted, and that way he could quite happily take Alison's information, which had been freely available on the internet, off hivemind at a politely worded request. So why is he being given the hate mob treatment? True, I disagree with his saying that Amorrow isn't as bad as Alison, but on other issues he is spot on. Plus, like someone said, how can you blackmail someone with information that's already freely available on the web?

For the amount of personal attacks launched on Brandt, who to his credit has remained remarkably calm here during this thread, Alison should be banned for some time, as the way she has been acting of late has been creepy and way too vitriolic over something that really matters very very little.
bluevictim
First of all, Daniel, it's amazing how you can spend a whole hour trying to stalk (that's what it is, in my opinion) someone who didn't even deserve it. Alison has been against the cabal and is a great specimen of an administrator. It disgusts me, Brandt, that because you can't find a hobby that you go about publishing personal details. Really, stop being an asshole and do something else. I would feel very uncomfortable if I were Alison.

I believe "accountability" is not the reason you're doing this. I really don't know the reason why you choose to find out about Wikipedia editors, but it's wrong. There are only two valid reasons to reveal someone's identity: for accountablilty purposes is if they claim to be an expert in a certain field, and then edit articles in that field. If their degree is real, they should not be anonymous and you should have every right to ask them and/or find out about their identity. Or: in a severe conflict of interest, e.g. Gary Weiss and SlimVirgin. Otherwise, I consider it stalking or purposeless (if the editor has already published their information on Wikipedia).

I really don't think you have a reason to go about searching the web for one hour to find out an editor's info to put on your page. Wouldn't it make an editor uncomfortable if there is a directory that is probably read by someone else of their (and others') personal information that could lead people to stalk them?

And just a question for Brandt: How did you get Phaedriel's real name and birthdate?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 21st March 2008, 11:23am) *

While Alison is clearly not one of the Cabal, whatever silly theories Brandt may state, she's lately acting unsettlingly like JzG … not only endorsing his "Banned is banned … scorch the earth under anything to do with that evil banned user!" philosophy, but even emulating him by dropping out from Wikipedia in a storm of drama, then quietly coming back with some vague, unspecified special mission.

Cabal Is As Cabal Does …

Jonny cool.gif
Jonathan
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st March 2008, 3:46pm) *

Cabal Is As Cabal Does …

Jonny cool.gif

Monkey See Monkey Do?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Jonathan @ Fri 21st March 2008, 11:47am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st March 2008, 3:46pm) *

Cabal Is As Cabal Does …

Jonny cool.gif

Monkey See Monkey Do?

No, Monkey Fling Monkey Doo —

Jonny cool.gif
dtobias
QUOTE(Jonathan @ Fri 21st March 2008, 11:32am) *

For the amount of personal attacks launched on Brandt, who to his credit has remained remarkably calm here during this thread, Alison should be banned for some time, as the way she has been acting of late has been creepy and way too vitriolic over something that really matters very very little.

You're trying to prove that WR can develop just as obnoxiously cliqueish and vindictive a cabal as WP has?
gomi
QUOTE(Alison @ Thu 20th March 2008, 11:39pm) *
Fuck you, Brandt

QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:54am) *
Go to hell, Brandt

Note the timestamps -- You see, progress can be made! Perhaps by the next time Alison is on it will be "Darn you to heck, Brandt!"
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 21st March 2008, 12:43pm) *

QUOTE(Alison @ Thu 20th March 2008, 11:39pm) *
Fuck you, Brandt

QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:54am) *
Go to hell, Brandt

Note the timestamps — You see, progress can be made! Perhaps by the next time Alison is on it will be "Darn you to heck, Brandt!"

Are you sure you are ranking the degrees of rancour properly?

The first is more ambivalent in its e-motion, if you ask me.

Jonny cool.gif
Knight
So:

The redirect from Daniel Brandt is deleted:
log entry

Alison has been taken off Hivemind.
Hivemind

I'm kinda surprised by both... wacko.gif
One
QUOTE(Jonathan @ Fri 21st March 2008, 3:32pm) *

The way Brandt is being treated over all this is an absolute disgrace. All Brandt wanted was for the redirect of his name to PIR to be deleted, and that way he could quite happily take Alison's information, which had been freely available on the internet, off hivemind at a politely worded request. So why is he being given the hate mob treatment?

That's fucking bullshit. He didn't even think to ask for demands until after he already put it on his website (see post #7). Read post #2 and it's clear that Alison was posted because he though she was up to something nefarious, having demonstrated an "intent to deceive."

I agree that she was hardly a state secret. Still, there are search costs involved. For what it's worth, I doubt anyone will benefit from the few hours it was up on Hivemind. "Genie. Bottle. Out." was a bit over dramatic.

Still, assholish thing to do. We don't have many people more sympathetic than her, and she keeps getting burned again and again for it.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Knight @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:16pm) *

So:

The redirect from Daniel Brandt is deleted: log entry

Alison has been taken off Hivemind: Hivemind

I'm kinda surprised by both … wacko.gif

So you were born last, Knight —

What will be surprising is if things remain that way.

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
QUOTE(Knight @ Fri 21st March 2008, 12:16pm) *
I'm kinda surprised by both... :wacko:

I dunno... Daniel usually keeps his word when the other side agrees to a compromise, or gives him what he wants (choose your own phrasing, of course).

Maybe the cat is already too far out of the bag, as Alison says, but let's just say regardless that if someone posts that last name here, we're going to redact it ASAP. If necessary we can even add it to our profanity filter, though that might actually act as a confirmation mechanism for "certain people"...

Luckily, it's a common-enough name that the Google hits on it mostly lead to other people. I'd still like to see some effort on Alison's part to reduce her own exposure, but that's up to her of course. Wikipedia sooper-admin powarz should never be considered consequence-free by the people who have them, even if they're really, really nice people. Wikipedia is just too big and controversial for that, I'm afraid.
dtobias
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:32pm) *

I dunno... Daniel usually keeps his word when the other side agrees to a compromise, or gives him what he wants (choose your own phrasing, of course).

"Be reasonable... do it my way!"
(one of the slogans on a set of stickers included as a bonus insert in a Mad Magazine special back in the 1970s)
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 21st March 2008, 5:32pm) *

. Wikipedia sooper-admin powarz should never be considered consequence-free by the people who have them, even if they're really, really nice people. Wikipedia is just too big and controversial for that, I'm afraid.

If that's the case, it just risks making critics of wikipedia appear like cruel, wierd tossers, having a go at decent people. There are enough examples of abuse on wikipedia for them to be highlighted without going after individual editors who've never done those at WR any harm, particularly.

If we make WP lose editors or their contributions decrease due to intimidation/winding people up, it just plays into Wikipedias hands for them to be able to say their critics are troublemakers and nutters going after people at random, rather than genuine critics.

As to removing info from online about oneself, that's quite difficult to do sometimes.
Jonny Cache
OOTMOB —

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Fri 21st March 2008, 1:55pm) *

As to removing info from online about oneself, that's quite difficult to do sometimes.

Jonny cool.gif
jorge
QUOTE(Aloft @ Fri 21st March 2008, 10:19am) *

Exactly. At least Brandt's bios can't have "facts" added to them by anonymous vandals, pranksters, old enemies and acquaintances etc. Maybe wikipedians should start thinking about whether they would really want a "biography" of themselves on wikipedia and if they wouldn't then maybe they should start treating biographies in a little more responsible manner i.e. only being editable by established users, perhaps creating another layer of user, "trusted user" so it wouldn't just be based on edit count and removing biographies of people who are not famous.
SirFozzie
Actually, jorge, I'm working on something to fix that issue going forward. Was actually working on it with ColScott when this whole thing blew up. He didn't mind it, actually, and neither have any of the admins who's commented on it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SirFozzie/BLP-Lock
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.