Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: List of people allegedly involved in Russian apartment bombings
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 30th March 2008, 10:00pm) *

It's a treasure trove of mostly red-linked nobodies that you've never heard of!

Great work, Detective Wiki.
Somey
Y'know, it actually looked like they were doing okay with that, only naming people who had actualy been arrested, charged, imprisoned, killed, or some combination thereof - until they get into this section headed "Suspects according to an alternative version of the events"...

Y'know, I sometimes wonder if WP's tendency to name potentially dangerous people in articles like this doesn't put other people in danger too - maybe even the admins and well-intentioned editors who happen along and try to correct simple errors or even run cleanup bots on stuff like this. I mean, this is a pretty bad misspelling of the word "lieutenant," for example:
A team of twelve GRU operatives who allegedly conducted bombings in the city of Buynaksk under general command of Leutenatnt General Kostechko (according to a confession of GRU officer Aleksey Galkin, made under torture)

So if someone comes along and corrects that, is that person added to some Russian spec-ops "hit list," just for being visible in the revision history? I mean, sure, almost certainly not, but it's an increasingly paranoid world out there.
Yehudi
So if there isn't an Office instruction to delete and salt, how is Wikipedia not responsible for libel?
Moulton
Naming rumored suspects, where the names are extracted under torture is simply irresponsible journalism, full stop.

Do you remember the bombing in Atlanta's Olympic Park, where the authorities leaked the name of a suspect who was entirely innocent? It ruined his life. As I recall, the news media were also sued, but someone else can look that up. I believe the falsely named suspect died a few years ago, partly from the effects of broken health in the wake of the ordeal.
Yehudi
It's the mentality of people who attack a paediatrician because they don't know the difference between a paediatrician and a paedophile. (That did actually happen in England.)
Kato
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Mon 31st March 2008, 1:57pm) *

It's the mentality of people who attack a paediatrician because they don't know the difference between a paediatrician and a paedophile. (That did actually happen in England.)

It was actually Wales, but the incident is true...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/901723.stm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.