Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I wonder who Edward Brongersma is.....
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > JzG
EricBarbour
http://www.biographicon.com/view/i0t27/Guy_Chapman

Look quick, before he deletes all those new connections. laugh.gif
ThurstonHowell3rd
This is funnier: Guy Chapman adds a link between his biography and the biography of Letha Weapons:

Letha Weapons
Proabivouac
QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Mon 7th April 2008, 11:09pm) *

This is funnier: Guy Chapman adds a link between his biography and the biography of Letha Weapons:

Letha Weapons

Wait a minute, what's going on with this? We can just create bios of anyone and edit them at will?
Moulton
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 7th April 2008, 7:12pm) *
Wait a minute, what's going on with this? We can just create bios of anyone and edit them at will?

That's probably not a sustainable practice, as it very likely operates in an ethical vacuum.
KStreetSlave
"Guy Chapman is a highly important, dedicated, consistently vigilant administrator on Wikipedia who also gives the full measure of his time to his employer and his family, despite the considerable amount of time he spends improving Wikipedia."

Somehow, I think it's not actually Guy.

Biographic troll is biographic?
Kato
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Tue 8th April 2008, 12:12am) *

QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Mon 7th April 2008, 11:09pm) *

Letha Weapons

Yes, and with minimal checks and balances. This is a deeply shitty idea, created by idiots who were pre-warned. And if someone wants to extend the remit of Wikipedia Review to include this timebomb I would be more than happy.

I'd be even happier if people were prepared to do a "spanking Wiki" on the place and tear it down in a surge of moral outrage.

There is a feedback page. Get to work people and tell the creators of this madness what you think.

Someone here wisely wrote that if these sites were .gov instead of .com, they'd be attacked within minutes as blatant Big Brother privacy invasions.
Moulton
I agree with Kato that it's not exemplary of the kind of responsible journalism that we seek to promote here.
dogbiscuit
The second edit of the bio suggests that Guy is not the Guy we know and love.

It does have the fingerprints of someone here, me thinks.
EricBarbour
I didn't dood it!

But seriously, the people responsible for Biographicon made a
BIG mistake by leaving it wide-open to anonymous vandalism like this.
I smell future attorney-on-attorney action.

Oddly enough, some of the bios on it are pretty good.
This one seems well-written, although it has an obvious
bias against the subject.

http://biographicon.com/view/qudc1/Adi_Da

(I know of him because I know a neighbor of his on Seigler
Springs Road in Lake County CA, where I live.

Said neighbor has nothing nice to say about
Adi Da or his many brainwashed followers. They are extremely
secretive and intolerant. They go around occasionally and demand
that neighbors refrain from making any kind of noise. It might
disturb the guru's "meditation".

Come to think of it, one could change Adi's name to "Jimbo Wales",
and it would be barely noticeable. tongue.gif )
Moulton
If he succeeded in getting his bio cleaned up, would he exclaim, "Ladi-Dah!" ???
EricBarbour
Oh, poopy! The bio's owner cleaned it up....

that has to prove it's run by the real Guy.
And he's watching it--despite Biographicon's
obscurity. Bet the only people looking at it are
from WR.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 8th April 2008, 5:33am) *

Oh, poopy! The bio's owner cleaned it up....

that has to prove it's run by the real Guy.
And he's watching it--despite Biographicon's
obscurity. Bet the only people looking at it are
from WR.

He'll have to watch it then continuously, and never sleep. sad.gif See the tears? sad.gif sad.gif
Somey
Now come on, people... if anyone here is doing this, then you should be ashamed of yourself. JzG may be totally obnoxious, but I bet he wouldn't do this sort of thing to you, at least not under your real name, whatever it is. Unless of course your real name is "Jonathan Barber," "Judd Bagley," "Gregory Kohs," or any one of several dozen others... but just think of how many real names he wouldn't do that to! Why, there must be milliions!

Still, JzG really does "get it" as far as biographies are concerned, at least in my opinion. He's not the problem. Also, I suspect it would be much more effective if someone impersonated him on some sort of bicycle-safety forum somewhere... Here's one that goes on for 118 pages, for example.
Kato
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 8th April 2008, 7:19am) *

Now come on, people... if anyone here is doing this, then you should be ashamed of yourself. JzG may be totally obnoxious, but I bet he wouldn't do this sort of thing to you, at least not under your real name, whatever it is. Unless of course your real name is "Jonathan Barber," "Judd Bagley," "Gregory Kohs," or any one of several dozen others... but just think of how many real names he wouldn't do that to! Why, there must be milliions!

Still, JzG really does "get it" as far as biographies are concerned, at least in my opinion. He's not the problem. Also, I suspect it would be much more effective if someone impersonated him on some sort of bicycle-safety forum somewhere... Here's one that goes on for 118 pages, for example.

Yes. JzG has behaved like a complete lunatic on talk pages all over the place, however, he understands the BLP issue which is rare for a Wikipedian. I think that makes it all the more galling that he can be so offensive to people and cause so much trouble with it. As the saying goes: A dog is the only animal that exhibits shame, that's what makes a dog's snarl so ugly.

Doc Glasgow is another long time BLP warrior, who also exhibits very good taste in removing nasty content. The difference is that DocG doesn't do it with daisy cutter explosives, and doesn't take innocent bystanders down when he blasts.

Guy Chapman is to Wikipedia's BLP problem what the US military were to Iraq's Saddam Hussein problem.
dogbiscuit
It made me chuckle that Mr Terhorst is desperately trying to patch things up in the revision history, with considered changes such as reverting Dan's Indefatigable Wikipedia Admin back to Retired. I wonder whether his ambitions of becoming a .com millionaire has already faded? I mean, it is a bit of a shock to the system to discover there are A LOT of idiots on the Internet.

Whoever is Guy Chapman there is not Guy, any clean up has been done by an anonymous user - I'd guess that Guy has notified Mr Terhorst of the issue - perhaps he has blocked the Guy user id now?
thekohser
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 7th April 2008, 7:47pm) *

But seriously, the people responsible for Biographicon made a
BIG mistake by leaving it wide-open to anonymous vandalism like this.
I smell future attorney-on-attorney action.

You're not alone, Eric. Note, I landed on this criticism in early March 2008.

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.