Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: National And Ethnic Ediot Wars
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
the fieryangel
...except it's in User space.

Of course, the Cabal couldn't touch this one...but it's worth following....
Jon Awbrey
Could some nice Mod please move this thread to the politics forum?

It's always pretty predictable where these sorts of threads end up.

Thanks,

Jon cool.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 13th April 2008, 8:45pm) *

Thanks,

Jon cool.gif

Why? This is about the single largest source of conflicts in all of Wikipedia, which is nationalistic and ethnic bias. There have been more Arb-com cases about this than about anything else....

If anywhere, it should be moved to the General discussion forum....but I put it here after having reflected on where it should go.

I feel strongly that it is indeed part of the big picture, myself.
jorge
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 13th April 2008, 9:49pm) *

Why? This is about the single largest source of conflicts in all of Wikipedia, which is nationalistic and ethnic bias. There have been more Arb-com cases about this than about anything else....

If anywhere, it should be moved to the General discussion forum....but I put it here after having reflected on where it should go.

Agreed, it is specifically about WP so it should stay in general/meta.
ThurstonHowell3rd
It is ridiculous for Wikipedia to even suggest they are somehow capable of producing a NPOV article on some of the controversial subjects. If it is found to be impossible for the editors to agree on a NPOV article, a simple solution would be the creation of two versions of the article with each of the viewpoints. It would be up to the reader to decide who is correct, rather than Wikipedia making the decision for the reader.
guy
Isn't that the *gasp* Wikinfo model?
Castle Rock
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 13th April 2008, 1:42pm) *

...because it would be actually useful, but require minimal work on battleground articles? But seriously what could you do with attitudes like this:

QUOTE(Nationalists @ AFD for Poverty in India)

Delete - Merely a forum for India-bashing. Bakaman Bakatalk 16:14, 17 September 2006 (UTC)
* Change to Keep - I created Poverty in Pakistan for fairness, so I dont feel the need to delete anymore.Bakaman Bakatalk 22:15, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

* Comment: That's not particularly good reasoning to vote for delete in the first place (or for keep after creating the article). Wikipedia is not a battleground between Pakistani and Indian editors. BhaiSaab talk 22:30, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

Comment: - its not battleground. Are you disputing the fact of poverty in Pakistan (a more widespread problem than in India)? You put it up for db only to make it a battleground.Bakaman Bakatalk 22:55, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

Comment: I'm not disputing anything. I put it up for speedy deletion because the article was 8 words long, but now that you've added content, I've removed the template. BhaiSaab talk 23:17, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

Note The above exchange is deeply, deeply depressing and yet somehow funny. Hornplease 09:01, 22 September 2006 (UTC)

the fieryangel
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Sun 13th April 2008, 11:10pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 13th April 2008, 1:42pm) *

...because it would be actually useful, but require minimal work on battleground articles? But seriously what could you do with attitudes like this:

QUOTE(Nationalists @ AFD for Poverty in India)

Delete - Merely a forum for India-bashing. Bakaman Bakatalk 16:14, 17 September 2006 (UTC)
* Change to Keep - I created Poverty in Pakistan for fairness, so I dont feel the need to delete anymore.Bakaman Bakatalk 22:15, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

* Comment: That's not particularly good reasoning to vote for delete in the first place (or for keep after creating the article). Wikipedia is not a battleground between Pakistani and Indian editors. BhaiSaab talk 22:30, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

Comment: - its not battleground. Are you disputing the fact of poverty in Pakistan (a more widespread problem than in India)? You put it up for db only to make it a battleground.Bakaman Bakatalk 22:55, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

Comment: I'm not disputing anything. I put it up for speedy deletion because the article was 8 words long, but now that you've added content, I've removed the template. BhaiSaab talk 23:17, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

Note The above exchange is deeply, deeply depressing and yet somehow funny. Hornplease 09:01, 22 September 2006 (UTC)

I don't see any easy solutions here...but I'm not seeing in serious discussion of this problem either on the mailing lists nor on meta space.

While this discussion is probably not going to solve the problem, at least somebody's trying to do something.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 13th April 2008, 4:49pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 13th April 2008, 8:45pm) *

Thanks,

Jon cool.gif

Everything's a part of The Big Picture — that's why they call it The Big Picture.

The question is — How close are you standing to the picture?

Sticking yer nose up a single editor's user space and giving the play-by-play on what you see there is what I would call standing way too close to the picture.

Jon cool.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 14th April 2008, 8:58pm) *

Everything's a part of The Big Picture — that's why they call it The Big Picture.

Sticking yer nose up a single editor's user space and giving the play-by-play on what you see there is what I would call standing way too close to the picture.

Jon cool.gif

Well, read this section then.

This comes pretty close to explaining WHY these nationalist/ethnic conflicts come to happen. Even if it doesn't suggest a solution, it's pretty close to explaining the process.

The fact is : this should be happening in metaspace, not userspace.

The fact that it is, indeed, on somebody's user page speaks volumes.

Sorry to hijack your forum like this, Jonny, but it's for a good cause....
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 14th April 2008, 6:14pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 14th April 2008, 8:58pm) *

Jon cool.gif

Well, read this section then.

This comes pretty close to explaining WHY these nationalist/ethnic conflicts come to happen. Even if it doesn't suggest a solution, it's pretty close to explaining the process.

The fact is : this should be happening in metaspace, not userspace.

The fact that it is, indeed, on somebody's user page speaks volumes.

Sorry to hijack your forum like this, Jonny, but it's for a good cause.

It's not my forum, but it's not supposed to be the same as all the other forums. or else why bother?

ThurstonHowell3rd already said pretty much what I would have said myself, which is pretty much all there is to say about the ability of Wikipedia to handle any subject where genuine differences of opinion arise — ethnic, life-style, political, religious, and scientific topics being just a few of the more obvious areas.

Wikipedia is a Chat Room. The proof of that rests in the fact that Wikipedia claims the legal protections of chat room discussions, email correspondence, and telephone conversations. In every pinch where responsibility mignt be demanded of it, Wikipedia resorts to the last resort of private communications that are "accidentally" made public — and so a Chat Room is all Wikipedia will ever be at bottom.

It is simply ridiculous to discuss the possibility that Wikipedia, a Chat Room dominated by Screaming Infant POV-Pushers, will ever be able to handle controversial topics with the sort of fact-checking, reality-testing spirit of inquiry that it would take to provide moderately objective accounts of their subject matters.

There is really nothing more to say.

Jon cool.gif
Moulton
Has WP:Office ever been invoked in a content dispute of the variety being discussed here?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 16th April 2008, 12:21am) *

Has WP:Office ever been invoked in a content dispute of the variety being discussed here?

I don't know myself, but I would imagine that if somebody's embassy complained then it would logically be an "office" action....

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 19th April 2008, 8:29pm) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 16th April 2008, 12:21am) *

I don't know myself, but I would imagine that if somebody's embassy complained then it would logically be an "office" action....

Here's an interesting comment from Special Agent Elonka...

She's gathering data about this....wonder what that means???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.