Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo Wales and Julia Allison's biography
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 15th April 2008, 1:46am) *

Dunno about Fox News, but it looks like there is a job for Mr Shankbone a getting the "unusually shaped vegetables" images up to standard.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 15th April 2008, 1:01am) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 15th April 2008, 1:46am) *

Dunno about Fox News, but it looks like there is a job for Mr Shankbone a getting the "unusually shaped vegetables" images up to standard.

From the article above:
At issue was the photo used on Allison's page, which she deemed unflattering. "I have contacted her to ask for a photo, so we should have that sorted pretty soon," he wrote in January. All business, of course; why would Wales have any personal interest in sorting through photos of Allison? But let's say he was hoping to win Allison's affections too, in exchange for his services on Wikipedia. This at the same time as he wooed Marsden? If so, one can only gawp admiringly at Wales's ability to multitask.

"BLP's been good to me so far....!"

Really, how much worse and more corrupt can this possibly get?
Somey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 15th April 2008, 12:47am) *

FORUM Image

FORUM Image

FORUM Image
Kato
Read the comments section. For each of these Valleywag stories Rachel Marsden (or someone who claims to be her and sounds a lot like her) actually takes the fight straight to Wikipedia. Often using lines similar to those on this site.

She's there in the comments on every story, lambasting the place.

This time round, some Wiki cultist shoots back:

QUOTE(Wiki Cultist on Valleywag comments section)

Wikipedia is slowly getting a handle on the problem. For example, new policy on deleting biographies is to give a lot of weight to the subject's desire; even if the biography "passes" standard notability tests, if the subject wants it gone it can tip the scales to a certain extent.

You seem to be unfortunately in a bit of an "uncanny valley." You've published and pundited enough to be notable for the wikipedians who hang out on AfD (deletion discussions), but not enough for non-crazy people to care about the article.

If you reach Ann Coulter status my guess would be that all of the personal stuff would gradually "fade out" of the article as ordinary people would be like "why do I care about this random court case and minor legal trouble."

In the meantime, I don't know what to suggest. The stuff in the article seems like it has massive "undue weight" problems as it stands, and I don't know how it's still there. Looking through the discussion pages, it seems I'm not the only person who thinks that. I'll take a look.

What new policy? From what I've seen, any attempts to improve the situation have been drowned by juveniles offering endless feeble arguments.
Peter Damian
Rachel has gone in with a Gatling gun.

How about we get the "little black kids in Africa" some, oh I don't know, perhaps some RUNNING WATER, and maybe some vaccinations, before we start focusing like uneducated, naive idiots on the fact that they don't have access to the "world's largest compendium of pickup lines"? Mommy's dying of malaria in the corner of the hut, but HEY life's fabulous because I can read all about how John Seigenthaler killed Kennedy on a computer whose screen I can't see because I have no electricity! Wheeeee! Sadly, like so many Wikipidiots, you're about as misinformed on the realities of the Third World as you are on the realities of the media and the preposterous notion that I could "pay the media to write whatever I want them to about my life so it could end up on Wikipedia in the way that I want it."

FACT: There is nothing Wikipedia provides that Google doesn't. Wikipedia is just a Google result aggregator, with some (oft libelous) commentary thrown in. Wikipedia is a rash on the ass of the world, to paraphrase the Big Lebowski.

Frankly, I really don't understand the fuss some people make over Wikipedia. It's no more a "tool" than this chat board here on Valleywag. Google, on the other hand, is indeed a tool.

I think Jimmy had a good idea, in theory, at the outset. However, with poor leadership and management, and a whole First World full of assholes, that vision fell apart. It's unfortunate, really.

UseOnceAndDestroy
FACT: There is nothing Wikipedia provides that Google doesn't. Wikipedia is just a Google result aggregator, with some (oft libelous) commentary thrown in.

Good to see this observation gaining some currency - the pretense that the internet needs some specific website to become "an encyclopedia" completely misses the point of having an internet in the first place.

thekohser
Now this is just a mean edit.

Jimbo should do a better job protecting the leg descriptions of his girlfriends.

Greg
Peter Damian

Request reason: "I would like to make some improvements to Hopewell Furnace, namely, adding the fact that the millrace waterway extended from the furnace pond that is now Hopewell Lake, that the furnace was fueled with locally-kilned charcoal wood, and to mention that a second (anthracite) furnace was constructed but didn't last long as transportation costs for both coal and completed iron products began to outweigh profits."
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 15th April 2008, 7:32am) *

Request reason: "I would like to make some improvements to Hopewell Furnace, namely, adding the fact that the millrace waterway extended from the furnace pond that is now Hopewell Lake, that the furnace was fueled with locally-kilned charcoal wood, and to mention that a second (anthracite) furnace was constructed but didn't last long as transportation costs for both coal and completed iron products began to outweigh profits."

What a creep!
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th April 2008, 12:39pm) *

What a creep!

He seems to know that region of Pennsylvania v well.
Moulton
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th April 2008, 7:26am) *

Sechs Acht und Vierzig means "Forty Six and Eight" but to my English-reading eyes and ears, it sounds like "Sex Act and [something kinky].
guy
FACT: There is nothing Wikipedia provides that Google doesn't. Wikipedia is just a Google result aggregator, with some (oft libelous) commentary thrown in.

Actually, it's not quite true. I've added plenty of stuff from (reliable!) printed sources that I don't think are online. Also, if Wikipedia works properly (and I do say if), it filters out the rubbish.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 15th April 2008, 1:08pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th April 2008, 7:26am) *

Sechs Acht und Vierzig means "Forty Six and Eight" but to my English-reading eyes and ears, it sounds like "Sex Act and [something kinky].

Does Greg mean 6 48, or possibly 68 and 40 - I only did a term at night school - eine tische für zwei, dort in der ecke comes to mind - not much use for Wikipedia, but I do suspect there is something amiss with his counting.

Oh, it strikes me you are the sort of person who watches 'Allo 'Allo and Are You Being Served on PBS far too much smile.gif

I'm rambling - it's dental distraction (I didn't know the dentist's price list went up to Extra Large on the fillings).
Moulton
The thing about a filter is this: If it has a little hole in it, you get a high pressure stream of detritus coming through the hole.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(guy @ Tue 15th April 2008, 1:16pm) *

Actually, it's not quite true. I've added plenty of stuff from (reliable!) printed sources that I don't think are online. Also, if Wikipedia works properly (and I do say if), it filters out the rubbish.

I'd agree that there is the potential for a useful function and we are being rather blinkered if we deny that in the best of Wikipedia, that function works. If you really do it properly, then there are lots of sources that are not available online (though I have been impressed with the reach of Google Books into dusty tomes of even my local area). However, a heap of books is just data, someone needs to turn it into information.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(guy @ Tue 15th April 2008, 1:16pm) *

Agree to a point. Three are at least 3 things a good encyclopedia should do.

1. Separate the verifiable from the not. I think WP quite good at this.

2. From the list of 10,000 verifiable things, select the 50 or so that are at the right level of granularity for an encyclopedia. Given that you have 5 pages on St Thomas Aquinas, and given the 1,000's of pages of verifiable material on him, which of these go into the article? WP is pretty terrible at that. It mixes obscure things that only scholars would be interested in, with tabloid material. It can always be relied upon to speculate, of course, whether someone was homosexual or paedophile. There was a huge row a few years back when my friend and collaborator Alexis Bugnolo of the Francescan Archive objected to something they wrote about St Anselm. It was claimed that Anselm was gay, and Alexis objected that he couldn't have been, because he was a saint.

3. Of those 50 facts, it must put them in the right order, and connect them in some kind of pleasing order for the reader. E.g. which 5 facts about St Thomas do you put in the introduction, how do you organise the rest. WP is famously bad at this also. Reads like the stuff my children do for their homework, most of the time.

[edit] actually the Bugnolo thing was such good value I enclose a link to my blog post about it here

http://ocham.blogspot.com/2006/02/truth-in-hell_14.html

which has some good quotes. Unfortunately I linked to the current version of the Anselm page, not the historical, but you can find it using the date. And I quote Alexis in full.

Well, I'm back from the Lower Regions, I mean, "the lower regions of the internet": i.e. Wikipedia, which are not much different that the real lower regions, where demons wittle the hours of their impending ultimate damnation on the Day of Judgement, idling wailing and complaining and arguing among themselves against the pittiful, little truth that their darkened intellects can still behold.

thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 15th April 2008, 7:44am) *

He seems to know that region of Pennsylvania v well.

Apparently, he knew too much about calendars and about wiki-linking, too!

It's fun to watch Jimbo helping his girlfriends' reputations look better on Wikipedia.
jorge
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 15th April 2008, 7:04am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 15th April 2008, 12:47am) *

FORUM Image

I read that as "You Cheese the News" laugh.gif
BobbyBombastic
Oops! I posted about this in the blog forum. unsure.gif I've got to run but if another mod wants to delete it that's fine with me!

/me shuffles off embarassed
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 15th April 2008, 7:27am) *

Read the comments section. For each of these Valleywag stories Rachel Marsden (or someone who claims to be her and sounds a lot like her) actually takes the fight straight to Wikipedia. Often using lines similar to those on this site.

She's there in the comments on every story, lambasting the place.

This time round, some Wiki cultist shoots back:

QUOTE(Wiki Cultist on Valleywag comments section)

Wikipedia is slowly getting a handle on the problem. For example, new policy on deleting biographies is to give a lot of weight to the subject's desire; even if the biography "passes" standard notability tests, if the subject wants it gone it can tip the scales to a certain extent.

What new policy? From what I've seen, any attempts to improve the situation have been drowned by juveniles offering endless feeble arguments.

There's nothing new. Courtesy deletion per subject's request (unless they were dead-tree famous) was proposed a long time ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:BLP_courtesy_deletion
And it was canned, leaving a comment on the page:

The Wikipedia community has rejected this proposal. A rejected proposal is any for which consensus to support is not present and seems unlikely to form, regardless of whether there is active discussion or not.

Did you get that, oh Wiki Cultist? You can bloviate all you like on a blog, but we can all read wikipedia policy, too, and it's not at all what you claim it is. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.