Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chatham-Kent
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Peter Damian

On Friday 11 April 2008 some anonymous vandal here

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=204781776

Changes the introduction to the article about Chatham (Canada) to say “Known as the "looney bin" of Ontario, the Municipality of Chatham-Kent (2006 population 108,177) is a city-status single-tier municipal government in Southwestern Ontario, Canada.” It was not reverted until on Tuesday 15 April, i.e. 4 days later here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=205023035

Note the reversion was not by our heroic admin vandal fighters, but by another IP. An edit war ensued and (and time of writing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham-Kent

it is still there. Where is the brave Defender of the Wiki when we need him? (oops, or her).
guy
That's why BLP can never solve the problems of Wikipedia. Clearly, this article would not be covered.
Moulton
Not sure of the spelling, but isn't looney either the official bird of Vermont or Canada, as well as a nickname for Canadian currency?
Kato
QUOTE(guy @ Thu 17th April 2008, 11:31am) *

That's why BLP can never solve the problems of Wikipedia. Clearly, this article would not be covered.

As far as I know, one can't libel a Municipality. Which makes it less of an urgent concern, don't you think?
guy
QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 17th April 2008, 11:49am) *

As far as I know, one can't libel a Municipality. Which makes it less of an urgent concern, don't you think?

Yes, but the people living there may be aggrieved even if they're not legally libelled.
Kato
QUOTE(guy @ Thu 17th April 2008, 11:56am) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 17th April 2008, 11:49am) *

Yes, but the people living there may be aggrieved even if they're not legally libelled.

True. But the situation isn't nearly as threatening to the individual as a BLP violation.

Wasn't there a town in Canada that got a real roasting by Wikipedia last year? The story made the news if I recall.
Kato
Take a look at the revision history of the village of Denshaw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

So bad that too made the news today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

QUOTE(Daily Mail)
Residents of a quiet hamlet are ridiculed on Wikipedia for 'sheep hurling, cow shooting and suffering from a tapeworm infection'
Moulton
These vandals need to watch more Monty Python sketches. Their material isn't funny enough.
Peter Damian
Meanwhile the vandalistic edit is still there. Is it my imagination or is it (a) that the amount of actual work on articles (as opposed to tagging, linking, categorisation &c) has dropped off incredibly in recent months (cool.gif anti-vandal work is getting swamped by the tide of vandalism?
Kato
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 17th April 2008, 12:42pm) *

Meanwhile the vandalistic edit is still there. Is it my imagination or is it (a) that the amount of actual work on articles (as opposed to tagging, linking, categorisation &c) has dropped off incredibly in recent months (cool.gif anti-vandal work is getting swamped by the tide of vandalism?

13 hours since the media picked up on it.
Yehudi
If this vandalism is reported in reliable media, shouldn't there be an article about it?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 17th April 2008, 6:34am) *

Not sure of the spelling, but isn't looney either the official bird of Vermont or Canada, as well as a nickname for Canadian currency?

Not sure if it's the official bird, but there's a loon on the $1 coin, so it's called a "looney". They have a $2 coin, naturally enough called a "tooney".

Ergo, I'm not sure being called a "looney bin" is so much a slight as a doubloon entendre.

Jon cool.gif

P.S. I should have specified that the loon is on the reverse side of the $1 coin.
JohnA
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Thu 17th April 2008, 1:08pm) *

If this vandalism is reported in reliable media, shouldn't there be an article about it?

I agree. Especially if that article gets vandalized and that gets reported in the media...its an infinite loop
Kato
You mean a loop like this?

QUOTE(Slashdot)

View the article

"An anonymous user added information about to Wikipedia's entry on Sacha Baron Cohen three days before the now-referenced external article was written. The Independent wrote the referenced article apparently using Wikipedia as the source establishing his 'Goldman Sachs' career. Now Wikipedia uses as a references the article that came after the initial modification to Wikipedia itself."
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 20th April 2008, 2:02pm) *

You mean a loop like this?

QUOTE(Slashdot)

View the article

"An anonymous user added information about to Wikipedia's entry on Sacha Baron Cohen three days before the now-referenced external article was written. The Independent wrote the referenced article apparently using Wikipedia as the source establishing his 'Goldman Sachs' career. Now Wikipedia uses as a references the article that came after the initial modification to Wikipedia itself."

Ah brilliant Kato. Part of the process of 'proper' peer review and article referencing and so on is precisely to eliminate circular references such as this. Very good.
Heat
Ah but according to the Jimbo/SlimVirgin school of encyclopedia writing "verifiability" trumps truth therefore, what is important is that Borat's Goldman Sachs career has been "verified" by "reliable sources". The fact that it's a wikipedia-created falsehood is beside the point.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 17th April 2008, 1:08pm) *

P.S. I should have specified that the loon is on the reverse side of the $1 coin.

The standard Canuck joke, of course, is that the loon is on BOTH sides of the coin. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.