Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Verifiability, Not Truth
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
Achromatic
Apologies if no-one's covered this before. Slashdot covered the Sacha Baron Cohen referencing 'issue', and someone mentioned a link to the mailing list, where, of all people, Phil Sandifer, goes digging into the histories of WP:V and WP:NOR and finds that - gasp! - far from being community consensus, the concept of "Verifiability, Not Truth" was added by one person alone and just, somehow, stuck (WP:OWN, anyone?).

As far as I can tell, there has *never* been a consensus discussion of the phrasing "verifiability, not truth," nor was there a discussion about removing the statement that Wikipedia strives to be accurate from WP:V. These changes were inserted, albeit years ago, without discussion, and long-standing principles were pushed to the side and minimized in favor of increasingly context-free restatements of the changes. But I cannot find *any* evidence that the position "accuracy is not a primary goal of Wikipedia" has ever garnered consensus.

(From WikiEN)

Todd Allen defends:

You're asking to open up a huge can of worms with anything else. "Well I know the source says that, but you see, I know it's not actually true, so I can still edit war over putting it in the article even though I've got no sourcing that says otherwise." We're a tertiary source, we mirror sources, not second-guess them. If a source made an error, find a better or more recent source that disagrees with them, or ask them to correct.

And SV pops her head in, all innocent, or playing such:

There's a strong consensus that Wikipedia should publish only what reliable sources have already published on a topic, so that readers can check material for themselves. That is the key idea of the encyclopedia.

Gives it a bit of a ego boost for WP:

That's the difference between us and, say, the Encyclopaedia Britannica. We empower readers. We don't ask for their blind trust.

Hoping that this will be sufficient to distract people from the fact that, according to Phil:

The changes in question to the policies were largely yours, albeit from three years ago. Did you intend to eliminate accuracy as a requirement? Accuracy was explicitly a requirement in WP:V even after you added the phrase "not truth, but verifiability" in December of 2004 - accuracy was explicitly policy until you changed it to "reliability" in August of 2005.

Did you intend to say that accuracy is not a requirement? If so, what made you think there was consensus for this view?

Uh oh. He didn't buy the hand-waving "These are not the droids" move. Prevaricate with vagaries!

I didn't add that phrase to V. Someone suggested it in 2004 during a reorganization of NOR, and I added it there. (But they suggested it because it is what we were already doing.) Then someone else moved it to V. But why does it matter who first suggested it or added it? The point is that it was strongly supported and still is.

A bit of pedantry, a bit of misdirection, point the finger in another direction, but never actually specify who this mysterious person was that suggested it. Claim that there was consensus though the entire point of Phil's claim was that there was none.

Carl weighs in:

Proposal: An editor who has no idea whether what a source says is accurate really shouldn't be editing that article using that source.

And Slim tries to misdirect with a clearly ludicrous over-the-top dismissal:

That means we can never again cite the New York Times unless we've personally contacted the source to make sure he really did say X, and perhaps further, unless we've also checked out that not only did the source say it, but that he was right to say it.

But Carl isn't interested in her ideas and isn't subscribing to her newsletter:

Far from it. I have good reason to believe that the vast majority of statements in the New York Times are not only attributable but are actually correct (note that, for quotes, "correct" only means "correctly dictated"). Of course there will be occasional errors, but it's only hyperbole to say that we have "no idea" whether what it says is accurate.

However, Wikipedia does overuse newspapers to a great extent. Many of our articles only appear adequately sourced because we turn to newspapers rather than peer-reviewed sources.

And the fun continues. More exploration of this is left as an exercise for you, dear critical reader.
Moulton
QUOTE(From a WP discussion...)
I cannot find *any* evidence that the position "accuracy is not a primary goal of Wikipedia" has ever garnered consensus.

Hrafn asserted to me when I edit warred with him over "accuracy vs. verifiability" that "truth" is not an objective. And the cabal which booted me off WP upheld his view, and rejected my view that accuracy was an essential criterion for a responsible encyclopedia. So it was at least a consensus among those editors.
gomi
Setting truth and verifiability in opposition to one another is one of the central tools of those seeking to use Wikipedia to promote a personal agenda. In SlimVirgin's case, the agenda includes her "animal rights" activities, for other cabalists there are other agendas.

This works because there are far more verifiable opinions than there are facts. Wikipedia is littered with citations to the worst kind of partisan web gossip you can imagine, serving as citations for all sorts of half-truths, distortions, and outright lies. It starts with the inability of most editors to tell the news pages of the New York Times from the op-ed pages, and then rapidly slides into claims that (e.g.) CAMERA is a reliable source on contentious Palestinian issues or that the PETA website has something useful to say on the subject of Zoos.

A more reasonable publication would enforce a standard that might (weakly) be called "Verifiable truth" -- the idea that things need not only be true, but also sourced by citations that assert both the existence of the fact but the basis for its truth. This standard would cleanse Wikipedia of probably 98% of its content, so you can see why it isn't used.

Never mistake SlimVirgin's high-minded rhetoric for anything other than a careful and long-running battle to protect her agenda and denigrate any that she doesn't like. When it's a WP:RS argument, the cabal always wins and you always lose.
guy
QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 20th April 2008, 7:34pm) *

things need not only be true, but also sourced by citations that assert both the existence of the fact but the basis for its truth.

I'm not clear how this works. Say the Dictionary of National Biography (a massively authoritative work) says something. It gives a footnote. You dig out the obscure paper in the footnote; it confirms the statement but gives no basis. Or it does, but that source gives no basis. Is that good enough? Can't we rely on the reputation of the Dictionary?

Moulton
It's remarkably hard to get to the ground truth without doing independent research.
Achromatic
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 20th April 2008, 3:57pm) *

It's remarkably hard to get to the ground truth without doing independent research.

And that's the dichotomy...

I wouldn't trust half that lot to put their clothes on the right way, let alone conduct unbiased, independent, credible research.
Cla68
QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 20th April 2008, 6:34pm) *

Setting truth and verifiability in opposition to one another is one of the central tools of those seeking to use Wikipedia to promote a personal agenda. In SlimVirgin's case, the agenda includes her "animal rights" activities, for other cabalists there are other agendas.

This works because there are far more verifiable opinions than there are facts.

I agree that the "verifiability, not truth" argument is to allow POV-pushing by some of its proponents, including SV. I'm encouraged by the discussion about this that's taking place, I hope that SV's ownership of this policy, and others, is finally coming to its inevitable end.
Derktar
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 20th April 2008, 6:53pm) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 20th April 2008, 6:34pm) *

This works because there are far more verifiable opinions than there are facts.

I agree that the "verifiability, not truth" argument is to allow POV-pushing by some of its proponents, including SV. I'm encouraged by the discussion about this that's taking place, I hope that SV's ownership of this policy, and others, is finally coming to its inevitable end.

Ah noble Cla68 has finally joined us, welcome the Review!
gomi
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 20th April 2008, 3:56pm) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 20th April 2008, 7:34pm) *

things need not only be true, but also sourced by citations that assert both the existence of the fact but the basis for its truth.

I'm not clear how this works. Say the Dictionary of National Biography (a massively authoritative work) says something. It gives a footnote. You dig out the obscure paper in the footnote; it confirms the statement but gives no basis. Or it does, but that source gives no basis. Is that good enough? Can't we rely on the reputation of the Dictionary?

You are of course completely correct. Leaving out the issue of reputation does over-simplify things. But an encyclopedic work like the Dictionary of National Biography has a unitary editorial reputation, whereas (e.g.) the New York Times has different editorial policies for news and op-ed, and within op-ed has as many "reputations" as there are authors. Other publications have different editorial policies and resulting reputations, either by design or by observation, and of course different scholarly domains have different standards for and sources of reputation.

But the overall question of editorial reputation and how it aligns (or fails to) with author reputation (where the two are distinct) is a topic that I feel goes far beyond this discussion.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 21st April 2008, 1:53am) *

Hi, Cla68. I've been watching your AN/I evidence page for the SV problem slowly taking shape like seige machines on the horizon. I hope it gets on the proper people's nerves.

Wikipedia, alas for it, does use the word "reliability" in WP:RS and it's pretty clear that what they mean by a "reliable source" is "one that is likely to be saying something that is true." There's no other way to interpret it. So whenever you must, just haul this out and stick it in their one remaining beady eye.
Moulton
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st April 2008, 4:29am) *
Hi, Cla68. I've been watching your AN/I evidence page for the SV problem slowly taking shape like siege machines on the horizon. I hope it gets on the proper people's nerves.

If I may be so bold, I hope it gets on the proper people's conscience.

I don't want people to feel guilty, as that tends to make them defensive (since guilt implies punishment). I'd prefer that people feel remorseful, as that very useful emotion precedes the adoption of better practices, going forward.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.