Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "MyWikibiz alike" on Craiglist sends Wikipedians crazy
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Kato
QUOTE(Nihiltres)
I recently saw a Craigslist posting which purported to be an administrator who would post articles on Wikipedia for money. This is troubling, and I'd like to help put an end to it, as it clearly goes against our principles.

Specifically, the page in question is this Craigslist post.

Here's hoping to stop this abuse. Nihiltres{t.l} 23:51, 24 April 2008 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...e_on_Craigslist
BobbyBombastic
As if User:Wikipedia Review invented paid editing (or maybe capitalism?)...It's funny, but also sad, that they describe it this way. Not only that, but it's hypocritical. Imagine one of these threads on AN/I and how long they would last:
  • MONGO like xenophobia and trolling
  • SlimVirgin like bullying
  • Editor wearing David Gerard like makeup while editing
  • Editor with Jimbo Wales like sex drive

On and on and on... Maybe Greg doesn't mind, but I don't think it's right to describe it this way, especially given the fact that he's banned from there and cannot respond to the thread in question. "Banned means banned" but we (WP) can still make a fool of you, I guess...
thekohser
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Fri 25th April 2008, 12:21am) *

Maybe Greg doesn't mind, but I don't think it's right to describe it this way, especially given the fact that he's banned from there and cannot respond to the thread in question. "Banned means banned" but we (WP) can still make a fool of you, I guess...

All I ask is that they send me some traffic! Come on, I'm not editing for pay any more, so what would be the harm of a little linky-dinky-doo, maybe to:

http://wikipediareview.com/Wikipedia Review#History_of_the_site

...you know, to educate those who don't know what Wikipedia Review 1.0 was. After all, that was way back in the summer and fall of '06!

Who'll gimme that link?

Greg
BobbyBombastic
I'll get my sock army in formation tomorrow and add some links.
thekohser
JzG is going to have to work some overtime tomorrow, getting all of these wrong-thinkers back into the wiki-fold.

As long as it's done the right way and this editor is just offering his services as a writer/researcher, I've got no problem with it. - isn't that the same thing Wikipedia Review was doing? Didn't stop him from being banned - on the theory, I believe, that being paid would make him unable to write neutrally even if he were committed to doing so. --Random832 (contribs) 01:54, 25 April 2008 (UTC)

And that was a fucking awful ban, for precisely that reason. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with what he was doing. Kurt Weber (Go Colts!) 02:34, 25 April 2008 (UTC)

Kurt's going to get himself blocked for talkin' that way (and I don't mean the f- word).

Greg
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 25th April 2008, 12:49am) *

- on the theory, I believe, that being paid would make him unable to write neutrally even if he were committed to doing so. --Random832 (contribs) 01:54, 25 April 2008 (UTC)

This is a problem with an encyclopedia judged by teenagers who have never worked before.

This guy just made a statement that rendered every journal, every newsarticle, every research paper, every thesis, irrelevant. Because if you get paid, it ain't worth nothn'.

Oh yesss. rolleyes.gif

MBisanz
You know people who will pay you to write a journal article or thesis? Can I have their number? tongue.gif
guy
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Fri 25th April 2008, 7:46am) *

You know people who will pay you to write a journal article or thesis? Can I have their number? tongue.gif

I was paid hundreds of pounds by my local authority to go to University (back in the days when we had student grants as opposed to student fees in Britain). So yes, my theses were for money. They're worthless. I'll have to hand my degree back. sad.gif

Moulton
The taxpayers of the State of Nebraska funded my undergraduate education.

The ratepayers of the Bell System funded my graduate education.

I've been trying (with limited success) to give it all back by volunteering as a science educator, online and elsewhere.
Random832
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Fri 25th April 2008, 5:55am) *

- on the theory, I believe, that being paid would make him unable to write neutrally even if he were committed to doing so. --Random832 (contribs) 01:54, 25 April 2008 (UTC)

This is a problem with an encyclopedia judged by teenagers who have never worked before.

This guy just made a statement that rendered every journal, every newsarticle, every research paper, every thesis, irrelevant. Because if you get paid, it ain't worth nothn'.

I didn't say that I agreed with the theory - I stand by it as an accurate representation of what Raul654 claims to believe about this.
everyking
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Fri 25th April 2008, 6:55am) *

Oh yesss. rolleyes.gif

I don't support banning these kinds of editors (I think they should merely be watched closely), but I think this is a really poor comparison. A reporter doesn't get paid to write about the organization that pays him, he gets paid to report the news. If Person A pays Person B to write something about Person A, there is a reasonable expectation that the resulting work will be somewhat slanted in favor of Person A.
Random832
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 25th April 2008, 4:39pm) *

I don't support banning these kinds of editors (I think they should merely be watched closely), but I think this is a really poor comparison. A reporter doesn't get paid to write about the organization that pays him, he gets paid to report the news. If Person A pays Person B to write something about Person A, there is a reasonable expectation that the resulting work will be somewhat slanted in favor of Person A.

And if they have to report about a company that is even vaguely related to their own company, they'll disclose this. Which is pretty much the opposite of what this guy's doing.
thekohser
QUOTE(Random832 @ Fri 25th April 2008, 2:24pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 25th April 2008, 4:39pm) *

And if they have to report about a company that is even vaguely related to their own company, they'll disclose this. Which is pretty much the opposite of what this guy's doing.

A frequently cited case in point is that NBC and MSNBC journalists will occasionally report on General Electric, Microsoft, and Vivendi... or that NPR's "Marketplace" will often report on General Electric, a sponsor of the show. As Random832 rightly notes -- they simply disclose the potential conflict of interest, and the reporter's professional reputation is expected to take precedence.

Nobody has a serious beef with this model in the journalism field, and it's what Wikipedia Review purported to do. But guys like Mark Pellegrini (who didn't even accurately know what the Reward Board was until a couple of weeks ago), Guy Chapman, and Calton Bollick successfully poisoned the well. They still think "the community consensus" was substantially against paid editing -- but there is ample proof against that claim.

I know Wikipedia's not a democracy, but I'd still like to see an Admin Noticeboard "vote" on the concept of disclosed, monitored, paid editing. Without Guy Chapman snowballing it closed, of course.

Greg
guy
The Economist magazine always notes if anyone they write about has ever worked for or been associated with them, especially in the book reviews.
ColScott
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Thu 24th April 2008, 11:46pm) *

no but I know a wigmaker who could make you look closer to your age, Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.