Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its taken a long time, but reality prevails...
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Viridae
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...User:Poetlister

(sorry I had to scoop Poetlister on this one - I have been privately gunning for this one for a long time - but for an upcoming time of other engagements onwiki I would have done this some time ago, but I had already talked to Brad and he promised me that arbcom would look into it (over six months ago I think - though I forgive the slowness - he is a busy man.)

Though might I point out that there is till no admittance of actually fucking up the original sockpuppet call.
Somey
Cool!

Well then, now we can begin Phase III of our Diabolical Master Plan™...! smiling.gif

Did anyone remember to bring potato salad this time? I think the fieryangel had that task for Phase II...
Viridae
I want potato salad - (little tipsy here - anything savoury is good - time for vegemeite on toast methinks)

---damnit this was two posts - looks like nonsensical rambling as one---

Well PL you seem to have more on wiki fans than just me: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...r&year=&month=-
Moulton
QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 12:19pm) *
Though might I point out that there is till no admittance of actually fucking up the original sockpuppet call.

At this juncture, it occurs to me that responsible adults on WP have a duty of care to discover how such an erroneous determination occurred in the first place, and why it took so long for the system to discover and correct the error. Also, what apology, restitution or amends will the system be making, besides merely lifting the block?
Viridae
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 3rd May 2008, 2:44am) *

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 12:19pm) *

At this juncture, it occurs to me that responsible adults on WP have a duty of care to discover how such an erroneous determination occurred in the first place, and why it took so long for the system to discover and correct the error. Also, what apology, restitution or amends will the system be making, besides merely lifting the block?

For the first one see Kelly Martin's blog (if you believe it) where she admits to fudging the results of a checkuser under pressure from someone who claimed to know the Brtitish IP system better and as for the second - The Brandt case as much as I dislike it and WR is a particular example of make a big enough fuss and you will be noticed. That said - Brandt's fuss only worked because he was of arguable non-notability in the first place, whereas Col Sott has far more claim to notability in the first place and the opt out BLP model is unlikely to get major support except from those hardcore BLP people who believe this is something completely wrong about writing about a semi public figure who doesn't want the exposure wikpedia provides. In the case of WR - admins who are also WR members will read and act upon complains here - in spite of whether they are directly made or admin attention or not - most recently blanking Poetlister's userpage (then unblanked by FT2) and surprisingly unblocked by Flo now (really - I am now wondering if I had made this a bigger thing by just unblocking as soon as I was sure that Poetlister was either not a sock or Runcorn was going to extremes to try and prove his innocence (by keeping the Poetlister and Taxwoman personalities going way beyond what was necessary), whether this would have been solved more quickly)
Moulton
From Kelly Martin's blog, August 2, 2007...

QUOTE(Kelly Martin's blog)
Regrets

The recent checkuser finding that Orderinchaos had sockpuppets leading to the block of Zivko85 and Zivko's subsequent explanation of how he came to share IP address with other editors leads me to need to make the following statement regarding a similar case from some time back.

In December 2005, SlimVirgin asked me to run a checkuser on RachelBrown, Poetlister, and a specified IP address from the UK. I remember running the checkuser but don't seem to find my response -- likely it was on her talk page, which has been deleted and purged so many times that it's likely that my response is currently a deleted revision which I, being a lowly non-admin peon, am not permitted to see. (This bothers me somewhat.)

From what I recall, I found evidence of some shared IP use, but the patterns were such that IPs frequently used by one user were infrequently used by another, and vice versa. At first I suspected that this was a case of friends or coworkers occasionally editing at one another's location. At the time I didn't know enough about British IP ranges to recognize IPs that were likely to be public wireless access points, residential, or commercial (and really I still don't). However, I was convinced (pressured, really) by others to set aside my doubts regarding the reliability of the conclusion and so reported the lot of them for sockpuppetry, in what was almost certainly a miscarriage of justice.

I regret this mistake. I was much more naive then and more full of myself than I am now. I apologize to Poetlister and all the other parties unfairly besmirched in this incident. There's nothing I can do at this point to materially alter the outcome or remediate it now, but at least the truth is out.
Jon Awbrey
Maybe the 4 or 5 threads on PL could be merged now?

Jon cool.gif
Poetlister
QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 5:56pm) *

by keeping the Poetlister and Taxwoman personalities going way beyond what was necessary

And Londoneye. People always forget her.

FORUM Image
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 5:18pm) *

And Londoneye. People always forget her.

FORUM Image

Was that picture taken in that little (sort of famous) bar in Mustique, the island in the Carribean where Mick Jagger and Princess Anne have cottages?

Looks just like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.