http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vil...ed_at_Wikipedia

A brief affair between me and WP

I could not help myself(s) smile.gif
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 5:36pm) *

Wiki-Pump:One way to never be in the position of being outed at Wikipedia

Darn You! They'll Be Blocking Witty Cindy For A Month!

Jon cool.gif
taiwopanfob
Almost as interesting is just a little down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vil..._the_editors.3F

Where ChrisO is, in effect, demanding the Foundation foot the bill for civil lawsuits he/she may file against supposed harassers.

I remember some time last year when Durova asked the same kind of question, though I believe it was for lawsuits filed against an editor. None other than Jimbo(?) himself made it clear that editors are all on their own: the foundation isn't going to lift a finger to defend them.

Which is as it should be.

But I find it a continuing source of ill-ease when the Foundation simply doesn't lay out the matter clearly and unambiguously when you login. That even experienced editors, and presumably fully grown adults are left wondering suggests a Clue Page would be a good idea.

One suspects that they suspect this could put a bit of a damper on the flow of warm bodies. The "F" word looms large. (And yes, I mean "fraud".)
Resolute
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 6:14pm) *

I remember some time last year when Durova asked the same kind of question, though I believe it was for lawsuits filed against an editor. None other than Jimbo(?) himself made it clear that editors are all on their own: the foundation isn't going to lift a finger to defend them.

Agreed, though obviously the foundation can't defend editors if it hopes to win it's case with the lady from New Jersey suing for defamation. If WMF defends editors engaging in such activities, then it essentially concedes that the editor was acting in WMF's name, and thus WMF is liable.
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 6:36pm) *

← I understand that there might be no legal requirement for Arbitrators to reveal their identities, but let us make a reality check here: an Arbitrator occupies one of the most influential positions in the English Wikipedia, and the English Wikipedia in one of the most visited websites in the world. (I am not saying "one of the top-ten sites" because that would be the entirety of Wikipedia.) Both the influence of the Arbitrators in Wikipedia and the fame of Wikipedia itself are undisputed facts; it is a very small stretch to say that Wikipedia is a globally influential site. Combining these leads to the plausible conclusion that Arbitrators are influential people in one of the world's most influential websites. On-line or not, I think this means that their positions are responsible enough to warrant a certain level of transparency. We might be on-line, but we are not isolated from the real world; the rules of reality work here as well, and editors ought to remember this at all times. Waltham, The Duke of 09:21, 2 May 2008 (UTC)

I loved this comment at the bottom of the piece...is this person royalty?

I felt the urge to thank this good chap, so I did. I arranged a company IP. Good show! smile.gif

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 9:37pm) *

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 6:36pm) *

I felt the urge to thank this good chap, so I did. I arranged a company IP. Good show! smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:The...e_wisdom_shared
guy
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Sat 3rd May 2008, 1:43am) *

Waltham, The Duke of 09:21, 2 May 2008 (UTC)

Most dukes aren't royalty.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Resolute @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 7:21pm) *

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Fri 2nd May 2008, 6:14pm) *

Agreed, though obviously the foundation can't defend editors if it hopes to win it's case with the lady from New Jersey suing for defamation. If WMF defends editors engaging in such activities, then it essentially concedes that the editor was acting in WMF's name, and thus WMF is liable.

WMF is liable. Jimbo is editor-in-chief and has last say-so about what goes into Wikipedia. And it's a publication.

The lawyers are going to take about 10 years to figure this out, and the judges 15.
Jon Awbrey
wub.gif I Really, Really Love The Template! wub.gif

I think that Somey should make one for all of us:

Please refrain from speculating over the circumstances related to <Your Name Here>'s retirement. If you have any questions you want answered or concerns addressed, please email me at St.Φu@ΦuckØffMail.Com.

Plus someone should tell Mr.Pisanz there's a typo in his template.

Jon cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.