Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've got something that will make you think.
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
Read my blog post about the Weather Channel.

The Wikipedia page certainly does look like it was corporately manipulated, doesn't it?

What is this sentence doing in there?
"With the help of Cisco technology, the Studio of the Future will connect our HD viewers with the latest forecasts and weather news, all in vivid HD.[1]"

The edit history shows many edits by a user called Koolguy106. His user page was deleted--and there is NO RECORD of it in the deletion log. The same goes for user Brettfern. There are also a lot of edits involving changes to the channel's schedule and personnel list that make me wonder if an employee is doing them (or more than one employee).

I don't really have time to look into this further, but it does give cause to wonder.
Somey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 9th May 2008, 3:49pm) *
The edit history shows many edits by a user called Koolguy106. His user page was deleted--and there is NO RECORD of it in the deletion log. The same goes for user Brettfern. There are also a lot of edits involving changes to the channel's schedule and personnel list that make me wonder if an employee is doing them (or more than one employee).

I don't really have time to look into this further, but it does give cause to wonder.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an employee, actually... WP has been so zealous for so long about "linkspam removal" that when we see a case of it, we often don't even recognize it for what it is anymore.

More to the point, I'd be quite surprised if these two editors weren't trying to establish their bona fides on the article in order to justify (or sneak in) a link to what appears to be a TWC fan site, namely twcclassics.com, a forum (which runs the same software as WR, btw) for people who like to watch old Weather Channel re-runs.

Now, why anyone would actually watch TWC re-runs is beyond me, but it takes all kinds to make a world, I guess! And you have to admit, it's probably better than about 90 percent of what's available on the telly these days in general.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 9th May 2008, 4:49pm) *

Read my blog post about the Weather Channel.

The Wikipedia page certainly does look like it was corporately manipulated, doesn't it?

What is this sentence doing in there?
"With the help of Cisco technology, the Studio of the Future will connect our HD viewers with the latest forecasts and weather news, all in vivid HD.[1]"

I could not find that sentence in the older versions of this article, using ctrl-f. I dunno why(edit: found it).But it sounds more like a copyright violation than anything. Somebody probably found it on another site and copied it into the article.

The userpages were probably not deleted, they probably never existed, which means that the person just never created a userpage. That is why it would not show up in the deletion log. Userpage links remain red until one is created or (of course) deleted. These people probably just never made userpages.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.