Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Use of URLs inline
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Peter Damian
Does anyone else dislike the growing use of URLs in inline citations. I seemed to be in a minority of one when I discussed this on the ED talk page (after making some stylistic changes to that article - never again). Just look at the text below - almost impossible to edit through that jumble. I think the programming types find it easier.

CODE
'''Encyclopedia Dramatica''' is a parody of internet encylopedias such as [[Wikipedia]], written on a [[wiki]]<ref name="neva">{{cite news |url=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/17/PKG6BKQQA41.DTL&type=printable |title=Sex and the City |work=[[San Francisco Chronicle]] |publisher=[[Hearst Communications]] |date=2006-09-17 |accessdate-2008-05-14 |last=Neva |first=Chonin |pages=p.20 }}</ref><ref name="warrens">{{cite news |title=Privacy |work=Warren's Washington Internet Daily |date=2006-09-12}}</ref>, using apparently comprehensive referencing and linking, but in a satirical and often abusive style. Many of the articles are written in an ironic manner with the express purpose of upsetting those who take it seriously (an activity known on the Internet as [[Troll (Internet)|trolling]]). The content is wide-ranging, covering drama and gossip on other internet forums, Internet subculture, users of web services<ref name="Dee">{{cite web |url=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/magazine/01WIKIPEDIA-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=5&oref=slogin |last=Dee |first=Jonathan |title=All the News That's Fit to Print Out |publisher=[[The New York Times]] |work=Magazine |date=2007-07-01 |pages=p. 5, 34}}</ref> and [[Internet meme | online catchphrases]] in a coarse, offensive and frequently obscene manner.<ref>{{cite web| url=http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=459249 |last=Davies |first=Shaun |title=Critics point finger at satirical website |work=National Nine News |date=2008-05-08}}</ref><ref>{{cite web |url=http://gawker.com/346385/what-the-hell-are-4chan-ed-something-awful-and-b?mail2=true |last=Douglas |first=Nick |title=What The Hell Are 4chan, ED, Something Awful, And 'b'? |work=[[Gawker.com]] |date=2008-01-18}}</ref><ref>{{cite news |title=2 Do: Monday, December 26 |publisher=[[Chicago Tribune]] |work=RedEye Edition |date=2005-12-16 |pages=p. 2}}</ref><ref name="northadams"/>
House of Cards
Use wikEd (Preferences / Gadgets). The colour-coding generated by this tool is a big help in making such text readable.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(House of Cards @ Thu 15th May 2008, 9:01am) *

Use wikEd (Preferences / Gadgets). The colour-coding generated by this tool is a big help in making such text readable.

Another solution is not to write such text.
House of Cards
True. But how then would you cite inline? It would be good if you could just have the ref tags inline and the full citation somewhere else - like when using BibTex - but that doesn't seem possible here.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(House of Cards @ Thu 15th May 2008, 10:01am) *

True. But how then would you cite inline? It would be good if you could just have the ref tags inline and the full citation somewhere else - like when using BibTex - but that doesn't seem possible here.

The solution I always use is the Harvard method. I.e. keep the inline ref as short as possible (author's name and date of publication, using a, b, c &c if more than one in the same year), then have a separate 'references' section containing the full links.

A particular hostile editor claimed this method (the Harvard one, used in all academic referencing) was ugly and not standard Wikipedia method bla bla.

I agree a perfect system would allow inline referencing and citation list that was automatic (i.e. no need for separate notes and references) but given that does not exist, Harvard method only reasonable alternative in my view.
House of Cards
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 11:14am) *

The solution I always use is the Harvard method. I.e. keep the inline ref as short as possible (author's name and date of publication, using a, b, c &c if more than one in the same year), then have a separate 'references' section containing the full links.

A particular hostile editor claimed this method (the Harvard one, used in all academic referencing) was ugly and not standard Wikipedia method bla bla.

I agree a perfect system would allow inline referencing and citation list that was automatic (i.e. no need for separate notes and references) but given that does not exist, Harvard method only reasonable alternative in my view.
Not all academic referencing uses the Harvard method. A lot, but not all. I'm used to full inline citations, since that was the norm in my line of academic work. This was made manageable with a decent LaTeX editor that colourised the TeX code, hence my preference for wikEd. So that's what I would stick with if I went back to WP.

But not standard wiki method? Rubbish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Harvard_referencing (not that you need anyone to confirm this)
Author-date referencing, also known as the Harvard system [...] is one of three citation styles recommended for Wikipedia. The other two are embedded links and footnotes...
Just as long as it's consistent throughout the article, it doesn't matter what method is used. Some people. One problem with inline citations that I have in Wikipedia is that it is not possible to create a separate section for footnotes (or maybe there is and I've overlooked it).
Lar
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 5:14am) *

I don't agree it's "the only reasonable alternative". It is AN alternative.

The Harvard method is acceptable in Wikipedia practice, and if I work on an article that already uses it, I adhere to it, but for articles I start (or add the initial references to) myself, I prefer inline. I like having the material close at hand, it's more convenient (I can edit in only a section instead of having to edit the whole page, I just throw a <references/> tag in temporarily to check what I added formats right). If someone adds a Harvard style ref to an article that already has a preponderance of inline, I change it unless I have reason to believe they are going to undertake to convert the rest shortly, as a mix of the two is ugly and inconvenient for the reader.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Lar @ Thu 15th May 2008, 11:12am) *

I don't agree it's "the only reasonable alternative". It is AN alternative.

The Harvard method is acceptable in Wikipedia practice, and if I work on an article that already uses it, I adhere to it, but for articles I start (or add the initial references to) myself, I prefer inline. I like having the material close at hand, it's more convenient (I can edit in only a section instead of having to edit the whole page, I just throw a <references/> tag in temporarily to check what I added formats right). If someone adds a Harvard style ref to an article that already has a preponderance of inline, I change it unless I have reason to believe they are going to undertake to convert the rest shortly, as a mix of the two is ugly and inconvenient for the reader.

I certainly found it a battle to make small corrections to an article that had a lot of references which themselves were annotated.

It is one of the unsolved issues with Wikipedia. From having designed a simple editing system that made it pretty easy to do simple markup - meaning that anyone could edit and feel that they were fitting right in - the reference system has been the most damaging evolution.

It is not that the markup system for inline references is hard - though it is not intuitive - it is that it has the potential to leave a big steaming pile of poo where there should be readily accessible text to edit.

I recall, in my enthusiastic days, trying to make a minor word order adjustment to a page which had been referenced to death by SV, and here I am, a guy who does battle with C++ with confidence, struggling to work out even which was the right text to be working on. Major restructuring edits become out of the question when you really can't trace the references easily.

I sympathise - I don't think there is a magic editing solution, but it would be nice if there was. Perhaps if there were two side by side edit fields (or something better for the editable table of references), so as you edited you could use a reference code and then maintain a separate reference list as you wrote. Some really nice Google Calendar Ajaxing approach could solve the problem.

It seems that it is a problem worth solving. It would be interesting to know how many would be editors dropped out because they couldn't be bothered with the hassle of editing the references.
Peter Damian
Quite. I have a number of frustrations from when referencing became standard. First, because of the 'anyone can edit' fetish, there is a fetish about referencing absolutely everything (because people game the system that way). Standard encyclopedias do not have this obsession with referencing, because they trust the editors to know what they are talking about.

I particularly hate it when three or four or more footnotes are attached in the same place.

This would not be impossible to 'fix' with Wikipedia if there were some 'trust' system where editors who have earned a lot of trust had more say than any idiot.

Also the referencing attracts those types who used to make lists, create idiotic categories, templates, other nonsense in order to boost their edit count. Now they can add ridiculous citations.

Second, because even I who have years of experience in the original system find it hard. It is paradox that it is the encyclopedia that 'anyone can edit' is now the encyclopedia that 'it is impossible for anyone to edit'. As you suggest, it is probable that far more were discouraged by the ridiculous editing requirements, than would be encouraged by the requirement to register a proper account.

QUOTE(House of Cards @ Thu 15th May 2008, 10:55am) *

But not standard wiki method? Rubbish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Harvard_referencing (not that you need anyone to confirm this)
[indent]Author-date referencing, also known as the Harvard system [...] is one of three citation styles recommended for Wikipedia. sible to create a separate section for footnotes (or maybe there is and I've overlooked it).

Well you could have fooled me:

Frankly, get over yourself. This isn't an academic tome, its Wikipedia, and the style used on the article is the style used in DOZENS of featured articles, if not hundreds. It is the most common citation style here and extremely, widely acceptable. If you don't like looking at it, I suggest you stick to the more mundane academia topics here where the Harvard style is actually liked and common. It isn't used much anywhere else. Collectonian (talk) 19:32, 14 May 2008 (UTC)

The same editor also commented that my articles were 'very limited and narrow in scope' being restricted to mundane academic topics (she edits Anime-related articles). it seems odd that a range of subjects covering the history of the last 2,500 years should be regarded as 'narrow', whereas Pokemon should be considered 'wide', but that is Wikipedia for you.

I am really moving back to the 'destroy' mode.
Giggy
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 5:29pm) *

I think the programming types find it easier.

True dat - it doesn't bother me. I would suggest that you use Harvard when adding to currently unsourced articles...general practice is to go with whatever the article's "author" used (WP:OWN and all!).
House of Cards
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 15th May 2008, 12:32pm) *
I sympathise - I don't think there is a magic editing solution, but it would be nice if there was. Perhaps if there were two side by side edit fields (or something better for the editable table of references), so as you edited you could use a reference code and then maintain a separate reference list as you wrote. Some really nice Google Calendar Ajaxing approach could solve the problem.

It seems that it is a problem worth solving. It would be interesting to know how many would be editors dropped out because they couldn't be bothered with the hassle of editing the references.
For a while, I thought subpages would help solve a few problems, such as this one. {{PAGENAME}}/References could contain all the citation information and then it would be relatively easy to create tags that link to the right citation from the article. But the idea of subpages is always slammed.

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 12:50pm) *
This would not be impossible to 'fix' with Wikipedia if there were some 'trust' system where editors who have earned a lot of trust had more say than any idiot.
Unlikely, I'm afraid, although a very good idea. If there was any sort of trust or professionalism, more serious contributors would also have less incentive to hide their identity.
dancercotillion
God, you're bitching about this here, too, Peter? Get over it, and stop denigrating other editors because they edit things you think are superfluous. Lots of people think Pokemon are important, ok?

When Britannica releases a new edition, they know the facts are fairly correct and don't have to cite themselves primarily because they have a huge team of researchers who peruse the topics and compile. Their citing was all done before publication. Do you really think the editors at Britannica (or whatever real encyclopedia) don't have to back themselves up to the other editors? They have standards, too.

You and I, on the other hand, are two random guys who might be tenured professors of theology at a private college, or we might just be 24 year-old basement dwellers. The cites back up our claims. Believing that there should be a system wherein "trusted" editors are given more consideration weight is exactly the kind of elitist bullshit Wikipedia does not need any more of.

No matter the set-up, Wikipedia will always attract editors who will go full-out in one style of editing. Maybe there are people who love to make lists. Let them! Maybe some people obsess over Power Rangers. Let them! Some people like medieval philosophy. I personally don't, but I'm not going to go on a diatribe about how it's worthless and only attracts shitty editors who can't edit anything more than one line at a time. That would be immature. I sure would hate to look the fool by making ignorant comments like that, eh?
wikiwhistle

I just use simple refs <ref>----url-----</ref>, and {{reflist}} at the bottom. I know some people see that as wrong, but the other ones I can never get right.
Random832
QUOTE(Giggy @ Thu 15th May 2008, 10:51am) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 5:29pm) *

I think the programming types find it easier.

True dat - it doesn't bother me. I would suggest that you use Harvard when adding to currently unsourced articles...general practice is to go with whatever the article's "author" used (WP:OWN and all!).

Probably in 90% of articles, they started either unreferenced or with a small collection of links at the end - the practice is rather to use whatever format it was first put in by whoever added proper citations.

That's the practice for british / american spelling, and some other style issues too - use the format that it was in the first time someone put it in a coherent format.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(dancercotillion @ Thu 15th May 2008, 2:08pm) *

God, you're bitching about this here, too, Peter? Get over it, and stop denigrating other editors because they edit things you think are superfluous. Lots of people think Pokemon are important, ok?

What I actually expressed was amazement that an area that covers 2,500 years of history could be said to be ‘narrow’ whereas Pokemon or whatever is broad. Your comments are in any case intended as ironical, I take it, on the lines of the Defender of the Wiki?

http://wikidefender.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html

You and I […] are two random guys who might be tenured professors of theology at a private college, or we might just be 24 year-old basement dwellers. The cites back up our claims. Believing that there should be a system wherein "trusted" editors are given more consideration weight is exactly the kind of elitist bullshit Wikipedia does not need any more of.

Exactly. Death to all those trolls who write that BORING EUROPEAN POOP.

No matter the set-up, Wikipedia will always attract editors who will go full-out in one style of editing. Maybe there are people who love to make lists. Let them! Maybe some people obsess over Power Rangers. Let them! Some people like medieval philosophy. I personally don't, but I'm not going to go on a diatribe about how it's worthless and only attracts shitty editors who can't edit anything more than one line at a time. That would be immature. I sure would hate to look the fool by making ignorant comments like that, eh?

Very amusing. I agree, of course. More lists, more links, more URLs, more pokemon, star trek, power rangers. Less of that boring European shit, less anything more than 25 years old, unless it is a list of the original Star Trek episodes in date order, I agree. Yes.

Consider the fictional characters of Pokémon, the Japanese game franchise with a huge global following, for example. Almost 500 of them have biographies on the English-language version of Wikipedia (the largest edition, with over 2m entries), with a level of detail that many real characters would envy. But search for biographies of the leaders of the Solidarity movement in Poland, and you would find no more than a dozen—and they are rather poorly edited.

European trolls.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 2:55pm) *

Less of that boring European shit, less anything more than 25 years old, unless it is a list of the original Star Trek episodes in date order, I agree. Yes.

I don't think anyone has said that.
Peter Damian
This, amongst other things, was what was said.

The cites back up our claims. Believing that there should be a system wherein "trusted" editors are given more consideration weight is exactly the kind of elitist bullshit Wikipedia does not need any more of.

I wasn't aware Wikipedia had any elitist bullshit. It is the most thoroughly anti-elitist place I have worked.

There is a point of view that says some sorts of thing don't belong in an encyclopedia. An encyclopedia is not just a collection of trivia (trivia - the idle gossip that goes on literally 'at the crossroads'). To some extent, though an encyclopedia will always reflect its time, an encyclopedia should reflect what people have held valuable at all times. Boring European poop, in other words.
UseOnceAndDestroy
I like it. It's a newfangled idea for organising information by interlinking documents. I believe the kids call it "hypertext".

What you have here is crappy code formatting. Given the non-technical bent of many (most?) people, Wikipedia appears to be on the edge of suffering from unmaintainable page source code. In the "anyone can edit" world, I wonder how many non-geeks are put off by this kind of problem...
badlydrawnjeff
I'll say this much - I always avoided the {{cite X}} templates as completely unwieldly and hard to use. I always used <ref>boblawblaw'slawblog</ref> with the </references>/{{reflist|x}} at the end because it was closer to academic use for me and was easier to use.

I don't get the whole fascination with the wiki markup version, especially considering how all the extra words completely break the text up. Worse are the people who take the old <ref> system and convert them all.
dancercotillion
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 9:55am) *

What I actually expressed was amazement that an area that covers 2,500 years of history could be said to be ‘narrow’ whereas Pokemon or whatever is broad. Your comments are in any case intended as ironical, I take it, on the lines of the Defender of the Wiki?

I wasn't trying to be ironical, but if I was, I was. Anyway, I'm not defending either position. Having as many articles about Pokemon as we do makes me hit the floor with laughter. It is extremely silly the depth and breadth of some of the incredibly trivial nonsense on Wikipedia. I'll admit, I think some of the classical areas could use some pumping up. But we can't force people to edit articles about, say, Sophocles, or atomic theory, or even Charlemagne, who's a lot more important to modern Western society than Ash Ketchum. A lot of people, for reasons known only to them, liek Mudkips enough to try and make List of Pokemon M-T a featured list. And that's their perogative.

Death to all those trolls who write that BORING EUROPEAN POOP.

I'm not saying that articles about European philosophy are shit, but you have to admit it probably doesn't attract a wide range of editors. Or even readers, or that matter. It's a very dry subject. But go ahead and write all you want about simony and monastic orders and stuff like that. That's your business. Wikipedia is by far large enough for people of all stripes to edit as they please, so don't let my lack of caring about your preferred field of editing get you enraged(!) and bent out of shape. Someday, I may very well want to read up something to do with the 1400's, and you may want to know about some obscure Japanese television program. Why should either of those things be done away with?
Peter Damian
How this arose: I edited a paragraph of the ED article so it was more or less readable, i.e. so that the paragraph is not a bunch of disconnected thoughts but more or less scanned. As part of this I removed the inline cites and replaced them with Harvard style, which I needed to do in order to do the job well.

The offline cites were then aggressively reverted by this person (not you I assume). I complained about this, and I pointed out (clearly unwisely) that this person had only been editing since late 2007, and that most of her edits were oneliners and links and so on. The reason for my pointing out this, which she rather overlooked in her rage and anger and dismay, was simply that she probably didn't realise how difficult it is to thread through the thicket of refs and URLs when you are taking a 'whole paragraph' view of things.

In my view the worst thing about Wikipedia is that the vast majority of editors edit one sentence at a time, and don't try and establish a thread or sequence of thoughts - this is easily proved. Clearly sticking in a briar patch of URLs and bits of code that people of my generation barely understand is only going to make the problem worse.

She reacted very badly to this and attacked me, and a whole host of people set upon me and attacked and vilified me for being elitist, snobbish, Euroshit &c so I quickly and nervously headed for the door.

I hope that clears things up. I wasn't bitching, well I was, but for good reason I think.

Wikipedia is by far large enough for people of all stripes to edit as they please

Well it's clearly not. If you look at this person's user page they have some userbox proclaiming they are on a mission to convert everything to inline citation that only programmers can understand - so I can reasonably object to this without being set upon by gangs of trolls.
dancercotillion
You mean the box that says "This user would like to see everyone using inline citations. Please..."?

I made you a userbox just for you. Simply paste this into your userpage, and don't sweat it!

{{Userbox |Crimson |White |[[Image:Harvard Wreath Logo 1.svg|50px]] |This user would like to see everyone using [[Harvard citations]]. Please...}}

Well, sweat the part where I didn't feel like uploading a tiny version of that logo just for this, so it'll probably end up getting yanked within a day or two by a bot, but still. The thought that counts, right?
Peter Damian
QUOTE(dancercotillion @ Thu 15th May 2008, 7:31pm) *

You mean the box that says "This user would like to see everyone using inline citations. Please..."?

I made you a userbox just for you. Simply paste this into your userpage, and don't sweat it!

{{Userbox |Crimson |White |[[Image:Harvard Wreath Logo 1.svg|50px]] |This user would like to see everyone using [[Harvard citations]]. Please...}}

Well, sweat the part where I didn't feel like uploading a tiny version of that logo just for this, so it'll probably end up getting yanked within a day or two by a bot, but still. The thought that counts, right?

Ahh... I don't normally do userboxes but thanks - you see it is on my user page now...
Jon Awbrey
Is there anything about this discussion that prevents it from being conducted on the appropriate Wikipedia talk page?

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 15th May 2008, 8:47pm) *

Is there anything about this discussion that prevents it from being conducted on the appropriate Wikipedia talk page?

Jon cool.gif

Nothing at all. Unless you want to destroy Wikipedia, which this won't.

[edit] You must know, Jon, that everyone who worked on the Philosophy pages of Wikipedia regarded you as a great stinking troll. You have nothing useful to add to anything you have ever touched.

E.g. here

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=107886944

Had to be said!
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 3:51pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 15th May 2008, 8:47pm) *

Jon cool.gif

Nothing at all. Unless you want to destroy Wikipedia, which this won't.

You must know, Jon, that everyone who worked on the Philosophy pages of Wikipedia regarded you as a great stinking troll. You have nothing useful to add to anything you have ever touched.

And yet they WUB wub.gif my common scents so much that I can hardly get them to remove a tithe of it.

Go figure …

Jon cool.gif

P.S. I suppose I might add my usual suspicion that the usual suspects might be trying to destroy The Wikipedia Review's effectiveness by drowning it in utter noisome trivia — but nah, that'd be trollish.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 15th May 2008, 9:04pm) *

And yet they WUB wub.gif my common scents so much that I can hardly get them to remove a tithe of it.

Well most of them they wouldn't know the difference between the rubbish you added and any other rubbish, that's true.

trying to destroy The Wikipedia Review's effectiveness

You do that perfectly well on your own.

drowning it in utter noisome trivia

Which is your speciality, isn't it? Let me take a look at those articles on Peirce right now... [edit] I had a look at your crappy article on Peirce and I'm glad to see you lifted some material I put into the article on Schroeder, who is Peirce's only real claim to any academic interest (him being mostly an obscure American windbag, a subject dear to your heart I am sure). And here is some old bollocks not by Peirce, but by you:

In the beginning, while it is still evident to everyone concerned that these symbols are mined from the matrix of their usual interpretations, which are generally more diverse than unique, these abstracted symbols are commonly referred to as '[[uninterpreted symbol]]s', the sense being that they are transiently detached from their interpretations simply for the sake of extra facility in processing the more general thrust of their meanings, after which intermediary process they will have their concrete meanings restored.

+ When we start to hear these abstract, general, uninterpreted symbols being described as 'meaningless' symbols, then we can be sure that a certain line in our sand-reckoning has been crossed, and that the crossers thereof have hefted or sublimated '[[formalism]]' to the status of a full-blown [[Weltanschauung]] rather than a simple [[heuristic]] device.

+ What we observe here is a familiar form of cyclic process, with the crest of excess followed by the slough of despond. The inflationary boom that raises 'formalism' beyond its formative sphere as one among a host of equally useful heuristic tricks to the status of a totalizing worldview leads perforce to the deflationary bust that makes of 'formalist' a pejorative term.

+ The point of the foregoing discussion is this, that one of the main difficulties that we have in understanding what the whole complex of words rooted in 'form' meant to Peirce is that we find ourselves, historically speaking, on opposite sides of this cycle of ideas from him.

+ And so we are required, as so often happens in trying to read a writer of another age, to lift the scales of the years from our eyes, to drop the reticles that have encrusted themselves on our 'reading glasses', our [[hermeneutic]] scopes, due to the interpolant philosophical schemata that have managed to enscounce themselves in our unthinking culture over the years that separate us from the writer in question.

You got away with this for so long because no one at Wikipedia had a clue what you were talking about, and rightly so, but they were too afraid to say because they thought you might be some kind of high-falutin' expert. No, just another obscure American windbag.

Oh yes and on the idea that they 'wub' you so much they haven't removed anything of the 'wubbish' you wrote, I tried Googling the interesting phrase "interpolant philosophical schemata " sadly removed from Wikipedia. It only remains in some sad screen scraping from some distant era here:

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Charle...ophy/id/4913372
Emperor
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Thu 15th May 2008, 8:29am) *

I just use simple refs <ref>----url-----</ref>, and {{reflist}} at the bottom. I know some people see that as wrong, but the other ones I can never get right.

Yes this is about the most I can deal with. Complex markup also makes it hard to take the content off Wikipedia, which is not in the spirit of the GFDL.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 15th May 2008, 4:10pm) *

I had a look at your crappy article on Peirce and I'm glad to see you lifted some material I put into the article on Schroeder, who is Peirce's only real claim to any academic interest (him being mostly an obscure American windbag, a subject dear to your heart I am sure).

Not my article — it was a collaborative effort, y'know, and my earnest efforts at the wiki way of continuous quality improvement were interrupted long ago.

Please don't attribute acts of lifting without diffs. Maybe I did, but it was a long time ago, and I don't have the time to go hunting them down if you cannot provide points of reference.

And with regard to your appreciation of Peirce, I'm afraid that I really don't need to know another thing about you.

Jon cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.