Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Searching the old Wikipedia space
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
Take a look at this:

Search on Wikipedia -- in the Wikipedia name space -- for "Spellmanloves67 continues to restore material"...

It doesn't return any results.

Yet, a page exists in Wikipedia name space with that quoted phrase.

Has Wikipedia disabled or deprecated search of its own "Wikipedia" name space? There's something just not working right, that's all I know.

Greg
Jon Awbrey
Works for me —

Spellmanloves67 continues

Jon cool.gif

thekohser
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 3:15pm) *

Works for me —

Spellmanloves67 continues

Jon cool.gif

That's Google, Jon. Ha ha, but even weirder, now the Wikipedia-resident search DOES return the page in question, though the red highlighting is way off.

Something bizarre is going on. Monkey around with it. You'll see what I mean.

Greg
Jon Awbrey
Yeah, I did that the first time.

I don't think it does exact phrase, so it's flagging on the word "to" instead of the more significant words in your phrase.

Jon cool.gif
guy
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 8:29pm) *

I don't think it does exact phrase

No, it doesn't.
Viridae
Mediawiki search blows.
BobbyBombastic
Somehow the search has gotten worse though, hasn't it? I do not ever remembering it being this bad.
Random832
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Fri 23rd May 2008, 5:12am) *

Somehow the search has gotten worse though, hasn't it? I do not ever remembering it being this bad.

Greg picked what happens to be a pathologically bad case - I don't think it's gotten worse generally, it's just bad overall.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(Random832 @ Fri 23rd May 2008, 9:28am) *

QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Fri 23rd May 2008, 5:12am) *

Greg picked what happens to be a pathologically bad case - I don't think it's gotten worse generally, it's just bad overall.

Perhaps. I don't remember what I was doing recently, maybe I phrase searching like Greg was, but the media wiki search showed no results and I had to do the search through google. That brings up an interesting point because of the request to "no-index" Wikipedia namespace and other pages so that google does not crawl them. This type of research would be impossible if google did not crawl them!
carbuncle
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Fri 23rd May 2008, 1:37pm) *

This type of research would be impossible if google did not crawl them!

Perhaps that's the idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.