Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Influencing Public Opinion: Is Wikipedia being used for Information Warfare?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Disillusioned Lackey
I seem to have come upon a lot of articles of late, talking about how Chatboards, Blogs and other Online Activity are actually viewed by the U.S. Military as tools of Influence. It is called Information Warfare. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Here is some articles.

Open-Source Spying[/b], by Clive Thompson, New York Times, 3 Dec 2006 - discusses need for intelligence community to use open sources and the communication techniques used on the global internet (such as instant mail and wikis and blogs)

# The Power and Politics of Blogs by Drezner and Farrell, Aug 2004

CENTCOM engagement of bloggers

* CENTCOM Team Engages 'Bloggers' (local copy), 2 Mar 2006 news article by Alvarez, for American Forces Information Service
o The team engages bloggers who are posting inaccurate or untrue information, as well as bloggers who are posting incomplete information. They extend a friendly invitation to all bloggers to visit the command's Web site.
o The team's motto is "Engage," and Flowers and others work with more than 250 bloggers to try to disseminate news about the good work being done by U.S. forces in the global war on terror. The effort, officials here said, has reached more than 17 million online readers.
o In another blog contact, the team wrote a blogger who had written untrue information about U.S. military tactics. The blogger stated that the U.S. military routinely used children in Iraq and Afghanistan as human shields during their operations by using candy to entice and lure kids near them. The team posted a comment on the writer's blog stating that the U.S. military did not use human shield tactics and explained the full circumstances of the incident where Iraqi children died in 2004 when insurgents attacked U.S. forces in Baghdad.
o "We don't go in there and get into a debate," he said. And officials here are quick to point out that they are not policing Web sites. They are simply offering bloggers the opportunity to get raw information directly from the source.
Jon Awbrey
Any Abuse That Can Happen, Does Happen.

Jon cool.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
Yeah, sure! It's just that people are actually being hired and paid to do this. It was kind of a surprise to me.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 5th June 2008, 1:51pm) *

Yeah, sure! It's just that people are actually being hired and paid to do this. It was kind of a surprise to me.

How old are you?

Jon cool.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 5th June 2008, 12:53pm) *

How old are you?

Jon cool.gif

I was just born, apparently. It was the red pill. Rabbit hole and all that. rolleyes.gif
flash
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 5th June 2008, 6:47pm) *

I seem to have come upon a lot of articles of late, talking about how Chatboards, Blogs and other Online Activity are actually viewed by the U.S. Military as tools of Influence. It is called Information Warfare. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

The NY Times piece is long and more than boring, but the blogging analysis is good.

Here's a few things I've come across in the past - I'm copying from a longer piece I've been working on... but its 'secret' wacko.gif (no, but I'll start a new post if you're still interested...)

"When Orwell died, in 1950, the Head of the CIA, E. Howard Hunt, (of later Watergate notoriety) immediately despatched his agents to England to persuade his widow to sell them the film rights to Animal Farm. And so, five years later, when the film of ‘Animal Farm’ came out, in a gloriously mad animated version, it was with a subtly different ending.

Gone are the human neighbours gambling with the pigs. Instead, now the animals in the final scene see and reject only the nasty pigs.

And now the film’s message is straightforward: communism is bad.

But worse was to come. Pleased with their response to ‘Animal Farm’, the CIA also obtained the film rights for ‘1984’, and guided by the same kind of respect for international law or the Geneva Conventions that they are famous for, immediately disregarded Orwell's specific instructions that his story could not be altered in order to tweak its ending too. In 1984, the book, Orwell describes a society in which, as Edward Bernays had predicted all those years ago:

“Those who are in charge of controlling public opinion, are ‘an invisible government, an elite who ‘pull the wires that control the public mind’.”

By the end of the book, which starts with the clocks obediently striking 13, by command of the auhorities, Orwell’s hero, Winston Smith, after tentatively trying to ‘resist’, has been entirely defeated by the nightmarish all-seeing, all-knowing, all-controlling regime. The very last line says of him, bleakly, that now: "He loved Big Brother."

Fast forward to the CIA version. In this, even as Winston and his lover, Julia, are gunned down, Winston defiantly shouts: "Down with Big Brother!"

Without wishing to be overly political, I think that we can agree that this sort of manipulation at least is very, very bad."
Disillusioned Lackey
That stuff is kind of history. Here's a page from a chat board of IW soldiers today.

Is the Crypto community now called "Information Warfare"? If so, why the change?

Also, any changes in store for the Intel community?
UGAdawg34
12-12-2005, 01:08 PM
It is called Information Warfare now. Check the BOLD. I think they did it just cause it sounds more interesting.

RTTUZYUW RUEWMCS0000 2581308-UUUU--RUCRNAD.
ZNR UUUUU
R 151308Z SEP 05
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1NT//
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1NT//
BT
UNCLAS //N01210//
NAVADMIN 233/05
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1NT/SEP//
SUBJ/CRYPTOLOGIC OFFICER NAME CHANGE TO INFORMATION WARFARE//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. ON 23 MAY 05 OFFICER DESIGNATORS 161X, 164X,
644X, AND 744X WERE RETITLED FROM "CRYPTOLOGY" TO "INFORMATION
WARFARE" TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE EXPANDED COMPETENCIES AND SCOPE OF
RESPONSIBILITY THE NAVY HAS VESTED IN THIS OFFICER COMMUNITY.
2. IN 2002, THE CNO ESTABLISHED INFORMATION OPERATIONS (IO) AS A
PRIMARY WARFARE AREA ON PAR WITH OTHER WARFARE AREAS, AND THE CNO
GUIDANCE FOR 2005 DIRECTED THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE IO CAREER
FORCE. THE INFORMATION WARFARE COMMUNITY IS A CORE COMPONENT OF THE
EMERGING IO CAREER FORCE. THE COMMUNITY HAS A LONG AND
DISTINGUISHED HISTORY OF PROVIDING ACTIONABLE SIGNALS INTELLIGENCE
TO STRATEGIC, OPERATIONAL, AND TACTICAL COMMANDERS. INFORMATION
WARFARE OFFICERS WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD UPON THE FOUNDATION OF
SIGNALS INTELLIGENCE, TARGET AND SYSTEM KNOWLEDGE AS APPLIED TO
JOINT AND NAVAL WARFARE, DELIVERING EFFECTS-BASED OPERATIONAL IO
CAPABILITY.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION BY OFFICERS IN THESE DESIGNATORS IS NOT
NECESSARY.
4. POC: XXXXXXX AT (XXX) XXX-XXXX/DSN XXX, OR EMAIL AT
XXXXX@XXXXXX.
5. RELEASED BY XXXXXXXXXXXX, N1/NT.//
BT
NNNN
SpookyMustang
12-30-2005, 10:35 PM
When Cryptology first came about in the Navy, it dealt strictly with the breaking of codes in radio communication signals. This is no longer the case. Information Warfare Officers of today deal with more than just radio signals. In fact, very little of what they do actually deals with simple radio signals. Today's communications deal more with satcom and computer based communication. Thus, the name change reflects the broader spectrum of what the community actually entails...

We fight the virtual war everyday...

There are quite a few Centers of Information Dominance run by the Navy. And that's just the Navy.

Airwarriors > Other U.S .Navy Communities and Specialties > Information Warfare (Cryptology) > IW/IW vs INTEL

03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Flash - You sound both brilliant and open minded?? It is interesting when folks at the Flag deck both understand and appreciate the Information WARFARE mission area........I find it interesting that you try so hard to separate yourself from your IW brethren. Truth is you are one of us (and may soon have no choice as the GROWLER forces you to think lat transfer). When you really think about it, there is not much difference from what you do in the backseat than what we do. Being a warfighter is more of a mindset than anything else and a healthy one at that........Open your mind, there is room for us at the table and senior leadership continues to make more chairs available to us........I have no doubt you are a great asset to both your community and the Navy, but please don't deny all of us the potential you might realize by letting go of your ego and acknowledging that other perspectives are equally (or better) compelling.

It is nice that you are so passionate about your community, but I dont' think you are getting my point. When you call what you do 'warfighting' or call yourselves 'warfighters' it just opens you up to mockery and ridicule from people who actually do the fighting. I think my example with the USAF space rangers is a good one, no one gives them any more respect now that they have a shiny new pair of wings or that they wear flight suits. People jsut laugh at them.

This is not to say that your community does good work and is part of the larger fight, but don't let your ego get in the way. Call what you do whatever you want, my opinion really ain't going to matter, but don't be surprised when those other people look at you funny when you start talking about your 'warfighting' experience. I never heard that term used to describe what I did in the Navy, we just did our jobs and were happy with it.

No matter what you call it, this:

http://www.3fl.net.au/media/73/20070720-sp_wow_lab.jpg

....will never equal this:

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/art...52206ramadi.jpg

[b]If you guys think that this doesn't affect Wikipedia, you are living in a dream world, sorry.[/b]
Moulton
The Parcheesi Files

I still don't understand what any of this has to do with Parcheesi.
Gold heart
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 19th June 2008, 1:49pm) *

If you guys think that this doesn't affect Wikipedia, you are living in a dream world, sorry.

This for instance, comes up ever so often, but gets quickly deleted from the article, imagine if it was his cousin Adolf in question, it'd be a dead cert runner. A lot of POV and misinformation on Wikipedia. The CAMERA episode comes to mind, and they are still there, but now more subtle than ever. A surprising amount of POV in history & culture articles, and I daren't mention them. Some archives on Wikipedia have dozens of pages of archives, the disputes are that intense and ongoing.

Personally I would not trust any cultural article on Wikipedia, or the "origins of" something or other. An extreme amount of POV, sadly. unsure.gif
Jon Awbrey
"Govt Officials are Paid To Blo"
You have to pay them!?

Jon cool.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 5th June 2008, 5:47pm) *

I seem to have come upon a lot of articles of late, talking about how Chatboards, Blogs and other Online Activity are actually viewed by the U.S. Military as tools of Influence. It is called Information Warfare. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Here is some articles.

I see nothing wrong with all of this, so long as each and every post is labeled as to its provenance, like political ads: "A paid message from the US government." We do that when the US buys time to PR advertise on Al Jezeera.

Some of this is necessary, since there are people on the other side whose job it is to simply tell the most outrageous lies. This kind of thing is not effectively-countered by counter covert propaganda. Instead, the model, again, needs to be Radio Free Europe. Everybody knew that was a Western propaganda channel. It never pretended to be anything else. But the news it gave included stuff that made the West look bad, and it was (overall) closer to being true than anything that came from the bloc. And it had Western music. So people listened.

One of the interesting things I've noticed is that while there is a fair amount of self-deception and source-tarring in human information-gathering (all well known), it isn't perfect. People do have some natural tendency to filter bullshit, even when it goes against their own grain. Which means that if you tell the truth all the time and never lie, eventually it sometimes happens that even enemies who hate your guts, will still listen when you speak. smile.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 19th June 2008, 1:24pm) *

I see nothing wrong with all of this, so long as each and every post is labeled as to its provenance, like political ads: "A paid message from the US government." We do that when the US buys time to PR advertise on Al Jezeera.

That's the issue. It's being done covertly, and not in a nice way at all. The agenda is very much like the 60s and 70s.

You'll see.
flash

Well, I can see some differences, but surely it would be quicker to blow up a concrete bock than shoot at it?

That other 'Flash' mentioned must be an imposter, no?

As to the films made by the CIA, sure its old stuff, but it is relevant to understanding the way the WIkipedian mole's mind works.

Here's a few thoughts on (the equally old but at least undeniable ) activities of the CIA in the Art world a few decades back...

CIA Art

With effectively unlimited money diverted from the reconstruction of Europe after the Second World War, channelled through organisations like the Farfield Foundation and the Congress for Cultural Freedom) the CIA did much much more. In fact, in the fify years follwoing the end of the Second World War, it remodelled the European intellectual mind.

The C.I.A. (and its tentacles in other Western European nations) sponsored art exhibitions, intellectual conferences, concerts and magazines.

It paid supporters to write features and opinion articles in newspapers

It funded publications of books, especially philosophy ones promoting ‘the Enlightenment’ and ‘rationalism’...

It bankrolled some of the earliest exhibitions of Abstract Expressionist painting, such as the Jackson ‘Pollocks’ swirls of paint drops on a floor canvases.

It translated and smuggled across the ‘Iron Curtain’ strange works such as T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland

All in a bid to undermine the cultural influence of Moscow. By the time the CIA had finished, no one knew who was an artistic or intellectual radical and who was a stooge and stool-pigeon.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(flash @ Thu 19th June 2008, 12:25pm) *

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 5th June 2008, 6:47pm) *

I seem to have come upon a lot of articles of late, talking about how Chatboards, Blogs and other Online Activity are actually viewed by the U.S. Military as tools of Influence. It is called Information Warfare. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

The NY Times piece is long and more than boring, but the blogging analysis is good.

Here's a few things I've come across in the past - I'm copying from a longer piece I've been working on... but its 'secret' wacko.gif (no, but I'll start a new post if you're still interested...)

"When Orwell died, in 1950, the Head of the CIA, E. Howard Hunt, (of later Watergate notoriety) immediately despatched his agents to England to persuade his widow to sell them the film rights to Animal Farm. And so, five years later, when the film of ‘Animal Farm’ came out, in a gloriously mad animated version, it was with a subtly different ending.

Gone are the human neighbours gambling with the pigs. Instead, now the animals in the final scene see and reject only the nasty pigs.

And now the film’s message is straightforward: communism is bad.

But worse was to come. Pleased with their response to ‘Animal Farm’, the CIA also obtained the film rights for ‘1984’, and guided by the same kind of respect for international law or the Geneva Conventions that they are famous for, immediately disregarded Orwell's specific instructions that his story could not be altered in order to tweak its ending too. In 1984, the book, Orwell describes a society in which, as Edward Bernays had predicted all those years ago:

“Those who are in charge of controlling public opinion, are ‘an invisible government, an elite who ‘pull the wires that control the public mind’.”

By the end of the book, which starts with the clocks obediently striking 13, by command of the auhorities, Orwell’s hero, Winston Smith, after tentatively trying to ‘resist’, has been entirely defeated by the nightmarish all-seeing, all-knowing, all-controlling regime. The very last line says of him, bleakly, that now: "He loved Big Brother."

Fast forward to the CIA version. In this, even as Winston and his lover, Julia, are gunned down, Winston defiantly shouts: "Down with Big Brother!"

Without wishing to be overly political, I think that we can agree that this sort of manipulation at least is very, very bad."

Umm... I think the NYT is painting the CIA as being more influential than they may really be. A couple of years ago there was a film that boldly stated that the Americans cracked the German Enigma code by capturing a U-Boat with said coding device. This is, of course, bollocks.

Enigma was first cracked by Polish intelligence agents even before WWII started, and used the knowledge to try to persuade Britain and France to dissuade Germany from invading - to not much
effect. After the fall of Poland the code breaking procedures were smuggled to Paris, where luckily some British officials made contact with the Polish underground and thus started the British code breaking service at Bletchley Park. It is quite possible that when the Yanks captured the submarine and the latest Enigma machine (the codes and devices were constantly upgraded, as were the efforts to decipher them - including the worlds first true computer) that they were guided by broken codes intercepted by the Brits.

Now, the Yanks are currently bombing British and Polish troops once in a while in far off foriegn lands (this is a strange custom of the US Military which means that the Limeys and Polacks are considered allies) but are not too bothered to make a film which completely ignores the efforts of the Poles and British in deciphering WWII codes.

Never put to the CIA that what could be easily done by Hollywood arrogance.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 19th June 2008, 7:21pm) *

And never put down to "Hollywood arrogance" what could just as easily have been the ignorance of one writer working for Hollywood.

There have been numerous documentries seen in the US. The best I've seen is on The History Channel, a number of episodes of a 52 HOUR series called Secrets of War, American-made, including many episodes about various aspects of the Ultra program-- some focusing on Bletchley Park, others on the Enigma itself, and one on the famous capture of an Enigma from the U-boat (that one did not do anything but put it in context of a much wider effort, already underway for years).

I think the story is thoroughly told by now, and I think in visual media Americans have been at the forefront of telling it! This, despite the understandable handicap and misdirection created by the incredibly STUPID Churchill/Brit decission at the end of the war to destroy all the decrypt equipment, including one of, if not the first, fully electronic computers (perhaps not a von Neumann stored program device, but amazing all the less), called Colossus. And then swear everyone to secrecy forever (effectively this lasted 25 years). If the Brits didn't get proper credit for awhile after doing THAT, you can hardly blame the Americans!

M
flash
the incredibly STUPID Churchill/Brit decission at the end of the war to destroy all the decrypt equipment, including one of, if not the first, fully electronic computers (perhaps not a von Neumann stored program device, but amazing all the less), called Colossus.

I'd say it was less stupid than strategic - the Americans didn't want the British to have the technology...
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(flash @ Fri 20th June 2008, 8:40am) *

the incredibly STUPID Churchill/Brit decission at the end of the war to destroy all the decrypt equipment, including one of, if not the first, fully electronic computers (perhaps not a von Neumann stored program device, but amazing all the less), called Colossus.

I'd say it was less stupid than strategic - the Americans didn't want the British to have the technology...

Not to mention the horrible treatment afforded Turing, whose brilliance, along with those Pole mathematicians mentioned above, helped to break the Nazi blockade and perhaps (don't remember the dates) the won The Battle of Brittan.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(flash @ Fri 20th June 2008, 2:40pm) *

No, this was Churchill's decision. And don't give me any crap about the American "not letting the Brits" have this, or that, technology. The Brits gave the US high powered magnetron radar, and they in turn got all the tech the US could give them, and sometimes that was too much. Know anything about the Canadian accords? That was when the US and Britain signed a treaty to share all nuclear info, but on condition not to give any away to third parties, without consulting the other. The Brits conveniently neglected to mention they were already selling it to France, something which, if the US had known, would have made us hit the ceiling. And THAT is how France got nuclear tech. Really. Loose lips, atom splits.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(flash @ Fri 20th June 2008, 9:40am) *

Which is silly, given that in intelligence affairs, the Brits practially work for the Americans anymore

(not to mention the Kiwis, and the Aussis, and the Canucks...)

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 20th June 2008, 10:29am) *

The Brits conveniently neglected to mention they were already selling it to France, something which, if the US had known, would have made us hit the ceiling. And THAT is how France got nuclear tech. Really. Loose lips, atom splits.

I was surprised to learn, that in the context of the Suez Canal, US invoked international law towards the UK, the UN, and holding up their World Bank war-reconstruction money until the whole thing was withdrawn. Given the way things are now, per US and the UN - and UK and the US, this was amazing for me to learn. Almost no one knows of this - it isn't written in history books I've read. I actually learned of it in The Economist, on the 50th anniversary of the Suez issue. Egyptians all remember it, and it's one of the resons they are principally pro-American (with caveats, and no, I don't mean radicalism, I mean political caveats).

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 20th June 2008, 10:04am) *

Not to mention the horrible treatment afforded Turing, whose brilliance, along with those Pole mathematicians mentioned above, helped to break the Nazi blockade and perhaps (don't remember the dates) the won The Battle of Brittan.

Yeah, but his machine is just a bunch of scribbles and figures.

A real machine is made of metal and hurts your feet when you drop it on them. cool.gif

More seriously, I had no idea he was disabused by intel. Doesn't surprise me. I think they like to just use what they use, and then, because those of them in power are usually pretty mediocre, they kick whoever they used for whatever they did down, as a sort of 'put you in your place' thing. This is pro-forma bureaucracy-related behavior. Truly gifted or talented persons aren't much liked by regulars for obvious reasons(envy, perception of creatives as disruptive to status quo), resulting a perception of htem as 'irritating', resulting in inherent dislike or even outright name-calling, labeling or abusive targeting. Lather rise repeat. This is so predictably boring, and ubiquitous from grade-school administrations to offices at the highest levels (yawn). Part of my ineverpromisedyouarosegarden™, quasicynicalimnotsurprised™ world-view which allows me to be in a usually-constant good mood. smile.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 19th June 2008, 7:21pm) *

What everyone, including intelligence, has forgotten, is that it was not intelligence that won the Cold War, it was economics.

They HAVE realized this, and their ridiculous way of trying to co-opt this fact™ is trying to manipulate economics, but they are doing this without learned the basic fundamentals. I've seen tons of War College papers on international trade, calling it an economic battlefield - not to mention the NCIX point of view that globalization, FDI and trade are 'assymetric threats' - but the only persons who think such things has skipped the "book learning" (sic) aspect of these topics.

I'm sure that most of 'them' are blissfully unaware of the billions spent by OECD countries to upgrade poor country ability to negotiate in this area - and NO - it isn't done to push them to "our way of thinking", it is done so they can come to the table and discuss and make deals on the same level (at which point negotiations can be tough, but still, we want up-to-speed partners). Intel and military types would see such politically bipartisan aid as 'aiding and abetting the enemy'. Economists would find such a zero-sum-game point of view sort of ... well, insane, and alternate universe-like But it is how most in the military and intelligence field think, and God-knows they can't be wrong™.

Why do rich countries pay to help poor countries learn to negotiate? Or to have information allowing them to negotiate? Anyone who's read Ricardian theory knows that trade negotiations are not a battleground for economic war - period. (David Ricardo was one of Adam Smith's compatriots, also David Hume) knows that tariff reductions provide greater economic gains to the less taxing (lower tariff, less protected) economy than the ROW (rest of world) - with caveats, ie. ceterus paribus.

I've yet to read ONE intelligence or military paper which has grasped this basic concept. NCIX publications refer to the WTO as "new" not realizing that we are in teh 13th round of trade negotiations which have been almost constantly ongoing since 1947, having been planned during the still-ongoing war in Bretton Woods New Jersey. What they dont' know is that we are in the second wave of globalization, the first having started during the 1920s, only having been interrupted by the Smoot-Hawly hysteria, that interruption prolonged by a little thing called world war II.

They know that they are supposed to support the concept of free trade, the WTO, as a platform principle, because that is what they are told to do. But the fact that they haven't got the basic epistomology down means they wind up behaving in a manner serving to thwart free trade. Theyir lack of understanding causes them to write papers (and promote policies) on the false assumption that countries compete like companies (they dont - bottom-line is 100% different - and in fact the term "country competitiveness" is a red herring to economists) so in effect, they are dabbling in a field about which they've refused to study. Many of them have PhDs in finance, JDs, or MBAs, so they are headstrong, cock-sure "cant be wrong" in their assumptions.

They are.

Meddling in such policies without this basic common framework is like giving a 14 year old boy the keys to a C17. He probably thinks it is really cool to fly, but the actual implementation is quite dangerous, even to himself.
flash
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 20th June 2008, 4:29pm) *

No, this was Churchill's decision. And don't give me any crap about the American "not letting the Brits" have this, or that, technology. The Brits gave the US high powered magnetron radar, and they in turn got all the tech the US could give them, and sometimes that was too much. Know anything about the Canadian accords? That was when the US and Britain signed a treaty to share all nuclear info, but on condition not to give any away to third parties, without consulting the other. The Brits conveniently neglected to mention they were already selling it to France, something which, if the US had known, would have made us hit the ceiling. And THAT is how France got nuclear tech. Really. Loose lips, atom splits.

Well, why would Churchill 'personally' have a view to take a decision about a piece of (already out of date) MoD hardware?

Here's some crap for those who like me think its more than Churchill's bad judgement, anyway:

1. the US obliged the 'victors' after WW2 to enter into one-sided arrangments designed to open up their markets and resources to the US. These were legal obligations and are a matter of documentary record.

2. The US obliged France to accept a range of 'cultural producets' including books, fims and Macdonalds.

3. Britain was obliged to 'pay back' the US for its assistance in the war, the debt as was well publicised, only being paid off a year or two ago.

4. The US identifed Russia as a strategic enemy, and the UK as riddled with pro-Russian elements. Thus they did not share informaton freely with the UK, although they insisted it all went to them.

I'm sure the list could go on easily, although it is a bit of an historical digression... but perhaps not totally irrelevant. The point of those US, supposedly 'entrepreneurial' and 'charitably driven'creations - Wikipedia and Google - is control of information. The Second World War ended with much undiscussed controls on knowledge being imposed by the US on its allies.
Disillusioned Lackey

UOTE(flash @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 6:23am) *

Here's some crap for those who like me think its more than Churchill's bad judgement, anyway:

Honestly. I hate these ex post facto anti-US commentaries. Take a history course.
QUOTE(flash @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 6:23am) *

1. the US obliged the 'victors' after WW2 to enter into one-sided arrangments designed to open up their markets and resources to the US. These were legal obligations and are a matter of documentary record.05B(e)

Do you know anything about post WW2, how the economic system was in shambles? "Opening their markets?" They had no market, but wanted goods badly. It was hard to buy a refrigerator in Europe until the 1970s in many countries. Cultural specificity as an issue, per France didn't come up until a while later. Opening markets? Under what? GATT. Do you know what that is? Bet not.

2. The US obliged France to accept a range of 'cultural producets' including books, fims and Macdonalds.

The first Mcdonalds opened in 1954. In the United States.

3. Britain was obliged to 'pay back' the US for its assistance in the war, the debt as was well
publicised, only being paid off a year or two ago.
Churchill spent years lobbying HARD for the lend-lease act to get the US to bring finance to the war effort. As for paying back, a big so-what? They were happy for it.

4. The US identifed Russia as a strategic enemy, and the UK as riddled with pro-Russian elements. Thus they did not share informaton freely with the UK, although they insisted it all went to them.

Citation? You know Churchill made the Iron Curtain speech, right? I hate these kind of ignorant generalizations, based on current events, bs anti-American rheotirca, rather than historical facts.

I'm sure the list could go on easily, although it is a bit of an historical digression... but perhaps not totally irrelevant.

Yeah, it is irrelevant, but mostly because it's all bullshit. You need to crack a book and stop talking out of your backside. America was loved by Europe and people were grateful for decades. You don't remember before the wall fell. I do. Theres a generation of Euroyouth who don't appreciate that my uncles and grandfathers risked their lives on their soil, and when they talk like that, it makes me want to smack them.

The point of those US, supposedly 'entrepreneurial' and 'charitably driven'creations - Wikipedia and Google - is control of information. The Second World War ended with much undiscussed controls on knowledge being imposed by the US on its allies

Turn in your diploma. Education has failed you. There is no free lunch. You've had your mind warped by a social system you think was there forever - but it didn't exist for your grandparents. I see this ALL the time in Europeans under the age of 30. Ugh.

YOUR PUNISHMENT
Two Weeks Locked in a Room with Swatjester

IPB Image + IPB Image

You are his political kindred spirit.
Essentially, you have the same logical framework structure, both have points of view,based on a lot of empty rhetoric and factoids. What renders you two as 180 degrees diametrically opposed are your geographic and political situations from which both of you are incapable of viewing with objectivity.

I bet 1000 SDRs that your parents worshiped the United States, and this is a post-adolescent turnaround. This is classic, classic I tell you. dry.gif

**Standard Drawing Rights - You know what those are, right?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(flash @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 11:23am) *

3. Britain was obliged to 'pay back' the US for its assistance in the war, the debt as was well publicised, only being paid off a year or two ago.

Yes, roughly 7% of the total they got under lend-lease, which they paid off at 2% interest, and that's not counting outright grants from the Marshall plan.

I'll take this one, just for fun. Yes, the amount of debt incurred as formal debt by the UK for WW II was a very tiny fraction of what it received from the US. "Lend-lease" is what Rooseveldt called it, so as to disguise outright war-aid to the UK in early 1941 before the US entered WW II. It was a standing joke. The semi-serious idea was that we'd lend and lease spare tanks and ammo and war materiel that we weren't using, to the UK, and then they'd return them after the war. (What they could find after many years, after they'd been fired-off or shot full of holes, or whatever.) biggrin.gif I kid you not! The UK got $30 billion US dollars worth of stuff, with no actual obligation to pay for any of it (which, save for a tiny bit discussed below, they never did).

As for direct financial assistance, the largest fraction of the post-war Marshall plan (ERP) giveaway to try to get destroyed industry and economies in Europe up and running, went to the UK. You did know that? The UK scored about a quarter of the total ERP $13 billion US, which was real money in those days. Those were grants, not loans. Again, not repaid or repayable.

Well, what horrid WW II debt to the US did the UK just finish paying off in 2006, you might ask? A tiny fraction of lend-lease from the tail of its shipments (food, machinery, etc) which the UK was allowed to keep, paying for with an actual re-payable loan, because it had been shipped after the war ended. About a billion pounds sterling worth (call it $2 billion US out of $30 billion of total lend lease aid the US gave to the UK), on a 60-year loan at 2%. Which means the longer they didn't pay it off, the more money they made from it (since they were paying it off with cheaper and cheaper money due to inflation, and also from the differential of investment-discount).

So don't cry for the UK here, and don't disrespect the US assistance to them (or the rest of Europe and Russia for that matter) in WW II. mad.gif You're going much against the facts of history. dry.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 3:42pm) *

So don't cry for the UK here, and don't disrespect the US assistance to them in WW II. mad.gif You're going [b]much[/i] against the facts of history. dry.gif

... the facts of history and the facts of economics...

... see, this is my field, and the aid given during the Marshall plan has a simile to the development aid to the developing world... which some (both right wing, and left wing, of which I'm really neither) like to see this as a tool of manipulation (actually, both do) whereas it is self-serving, but also a virtuous cycle - as long as you dont distort it by encouraging rice-growing countries to import Uncle Bens (what our Fed Chief found when he went on tour with Bono, which was a big shock for him, but not for me, as I've worked in Africa). You can do that "sure", but it doesn't even help our own economy - i.e. we wind up paying rents (taxes) to subsidize other countries to buy our stuff, which is what protectionism is all about, and why it's not a great idea unless theres a really, really good short term plan for it with a short half life.

I get all heated about this, because part of the reason I got attacked on Wikipedia concerned ignorance of some little military guy, who presumed my work was anti-US (which it's not, in fact, it is highly governmental, highly pro US economic platform, and not what he thought - he thought I was an anti-globalization protester, because he's an uneducated little IW soldier at Wright Patterson acting like God - no names....). Ok, one name, and "she knows who she is", of course - also SV and a dash of Swatjester claiming I vandalized the Iraq War 2003 article, which was a crock of baloney. So my libel rested online during a crucial funding period that I had to forego, which was problematic, until the cyberattack started, and then I got a mafia-like protection "deal I couldnt refuse" from the FBI who treated me like I was the money launderer they could coerce to catch the murderer. Why? Becuase (drumroll) they see what I do as helping the "enemy" being in that they don't understand economic development (bangs head on desk).

Actually, maybe they did see it, but by then they were at the point of pushing to use my access pass to government premises as an espionage platform. Good times...

Anyways, the way things wound up was all very ignorant.

And wound up with them acting like organized crime, but dont get me started.

And yes folks - it all started (where? You know where?).

My FBI guy runs the meeting Jimbo spoke at. Ahem.

I've written some of the big bosses and told them that I'd have loved to help educate their troops and agents on these topics that they clearly want badly to learn about, but I simply want nothing to do with them once they are kicked the hell out of my life - maybe in 10 years. After I get financial compensation and get back to work and a normal life again.

Back to the point - yes, there's a lot of ignorance about development funding - economic assistance, trade, globalization, etc. "Flash" is trying to be the protestor-guy, as in "fight the power", but that's about as lame as the "we will rule you" neocon hegemons (my new federal friends I'm trying to detach from). Neither such types usually have a clue of what they are talking about. They should argue, but if they argue, it should be about the issues. None of them understand the issues. It's truly comic, from our point of view.
or "was comic" until I had the fantabulous experience of having some of the ones on my right (ahem) try to tell me how to run my workplace, at the end of a cyber-security gun-contract". That was decidedly "NOT" comic. Nope.
Disillusioned Lackey

I'll take this one, just for fun. Yes, the amount of debt incurred as formal debt by the UK for WW II was a very tiny fraction of what it received from the US. "Lend-lease" is what Rooseveldt called it, so as to disguise outright war-aid to the UK in early 1941 before the US entered WW II. As for direct financial assistance, the largest fraction of the post-war Marshall plan (ERP) giveaway to try to get destroyed industry and economies in Europe up and running, went to the UK. You did know that? The UK scored about a quarter of the total ERP $13 billion US, which was real money in those days. Those were grants, not loans. Again, not repaid or repayable.
Older Europeans remember the Lend-lease act, and I never heard of it until I came here. They really appreciated it. I never saw it mentioned in my history classes in school. As you said, it was a clever ruse to provide funding without really getting our feet wet when it wasnt viable, and Roosevelt was ambivalent.

So don't cry for the UK here, and don't disrespect the US assistance to them (or the rest of Europe and Russia for that matter) in WW II. mad.gif You're going much against the facts of history. dry.gif

True, true - as I said.....this is the thing about the protestor-generation. Much of the rhetoric isn't substantive. On another note, most people don't know that the OECD in Paris is where the Marshall Plan was signed. They think it is a club of the rich, which it is, but it started out being a reconstruction agency. Same with the World Bank, actually, though that has gone back and forth, a few times, mandate-wise (policy body vs. development funding) especially after the 1999 IMF debacle in South Korea, after which things damped down on the "advice giving because we know better" angle.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(flash @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 11:23am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 20th June 2008, 4:29pm) *

Well, why would Churchill 'personally' have a view to take a decision about a piece of (already out of date) MoD hardware?

1. the US obliged the 'victors' after WW2 to enter into one-sided arrangments designed to open up their markets and resources to the US. These were legal obligations and are a matter of documentary record.

I'm sure the list could go on easily, although it is a bit of an historical digression... but perhaps not totally irrelevant. The point of those US, supposedly 'entrepreneurial' and 'charitably driven'creations - Wikipedia and Google - is control of information. The Second World War ended with much undiscussed controls on knowledge being imposed by the US on its allies.

flash
Look, the figures are easy to quote:

The US loaned $4.33bn (£2.2bn) to Britain in 1945, while Canada loaned US$1.19 bn (£607m) in 1946, at a rate of 2% annual interest.

Upon the final payments, the UK will have paid back a total of $7.5bn (£3.8bn) to the US and US$2 bn (£1bn) to Canada.

But the point is that no repayments should have been demanded of the UK for its efforts to fight the Nazis. Certainly the US had no 'need' for the money, and it is typical of the 'war is a business' attitude to see this as somehow just tidy housekeeping.

More appropriate would have been for the Allies to calculate the total costs incurred in the war, and spread them equitably. 'Equity' would have resulted in a massive transfer of wealth away from the US towards Russia and China.

Aggressive and insulting language aside, the US was a late entrant into the war, was learly motivated by calculations of self-interest, obtained global hegemony from the 'ashes' of European folly and created in the post-war period institutions to serve US not dispassionate ends.

Rude boys! Go and look up the texts of the agreements imposed on the allies! These are not egalitarain treaties, these are surrender documents. If you think the post-war consensus was so admirable, try being some of the dead peiople...

This is a version of an an original page atributed to Robert Elias, a US Professor of Political Science , a list which, like so many others,  has otherwise 'disappered'

US CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY & GLOBAL TERRORISM

US Use of Weapons of Mass Destruction

The indiscriminate use of bombs by the US, usually outside a declared war 
situation, for wanton destruction, for no military objectives, whose 
targets and victims are civilian populations, or what we now call 
"collateral damage."

Japan (1945)
China (1945-46)
Korea & China (1950-53)
Guatemala (1954, 1960, 1967-69)
Indonesia (1958)
Cuba (1959-61)
Congo (1964)
Peru (1965)
Laos (1964-70)
Vietnam (1961-1973)
Cambodia (1969-70)
Grenada (1983)
Lebanon (1983-84)
Libya (1986)
El Salvador (1980s)
Nicaragua (1980s)
Iran (1987)
Panama (1989)
Iraq (1991-2000)
Kuwait (1991)
Somalia (1993)
Bosnia (1994-95)
Sudan (1998)
Afghanistan (1998)
Pakistan (1998)
Yugoslavia (1999)
Bulgaria (1999)
Macedonia (1999)

US Use of Chemical & Biological Weapons
The US has refused to sign Conventions against the development and use of 
chemical and biological weapons, and has either used or tested (without 
informing the civilian populations) these weapons in the following 
locations abroad:

Bahamas (late 1940s-mid-1950s)
Canada (1953)
China and Korea (1950-53)
Korea (1967-69)
Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia (1961-1970)
Panama (1940s-1990s)
Cuba (1962, 69, 70, 71, 81, 96)

And the US has tested such weapons on US civilian populations, without 
their knowledge, in the following locations:

Watertown, NY and US Virgin Islands (1950)
SF Bay Area (1950, 1957-67)
Minneapolis (1953)
St. Louis (1953)
Washington, DC Area (1953, 1967)
Florida (1955)
Savannah GA/Avon Park, FL (1956-58)
New York City (1956, 1966)
Chicago (1960)

And the US has encouraged the use of such weapons, and provided the 
technology to develop such weapons in various nations abroad, including:

Egypt
South Africa
Iraq

US Political and Military Interventions since 1945
The US has launched a series of military and political interventions since 
1945, often to install puppet regimes, or alternatively to engage in 
political actions such as smear campaigns, sponsoring or targeting 
opposition political groups (depending on how they served US interests), 
undermining political parties, sabotage and terror campaigns, and so forth. 
It has done so in nations such as

China (1945-51)
  South Africa (1960s-1980s)

France (1947)
  Bolivia (1964-75)

Marshall Islands (1946-58)
  Australia (1972-75)

Italy (1947-1975)
  Iraq (1972-75)

Greece (1947-49)
  Portugal (1974-76)

Philippines (1945-53)
  East Timor (1975-99)

Korea (1945-53)
  Ecuador (1975)

Albania (1949-53)
  Argentina (1976)

Eastern Europe (1948-56)
  Pakistan (1977)

Germany (1950s)
  Angola (1975-1980s)

Iran (1953)
  Jamaica (1976)

Guatemala (1953-1990s)
  Honduras (1980s)

Costa Rica (mid-1950s, 1970-71)
  Nicaragua (1980s)

Middle East (1956-58)
  Philippines (1970s-90s)

Indonesia (1957-58)
  Seychelles (1979-81)

Haiti (1959)
  South Yemen (1979-84)

Western Europe (1950s-1960s)
  South Korea (1980)

Guyana (1953-64)
  Chad (1981-82)

Iraq (1958-63)
  Grenada (1979-83)

Vietnam (1945-53)
  Suriname (1982-84)

Cambodia (1955-73)
  Libya (1981-89)

Laos (1957-73)
  Fiji (1987)

Thailand (1965-73)
  Panama (1989)

Ecuador (1960-63)
  Afghanistan (1979-92)

Congo (1960-65, 1977-78)
  El Salvador (1980-92)

Algeria (1960s)
  Haiti (1987-94)

Brazil (1961-64)
  Bulgaria (1990-91)

Peru (1965)
  Albania (1991-92)

Dominican Republic (1963-65)
  Somalia (1993)

Cuba (1959-present)
  Iraq (1990s)

Indonesia (1965)
  Peru (1990-present)

Ghana (1966)
  Mexico (1990-present)

Uruguay (1969-72)
  Colombia (1990-present)

Chile (1964-73)
  Yugoslavia (1995-99)

Greece (1967-74)

US Perversions of Foreign Elections
The US has specifically intervened to rig or distort the outcome of foreign 
elections, and sometimes engineered sham "demonstration" elections to ward 
off accusations of government repression in allied nations in the US sphere 
of influence. These sham elections have often installed or maintained in 
power repressive dictators who have victimized their populations. Such 
practices have occurred in nations such as:

Philippines (1950s)
Italy (1948-1970s)
Lebanon (1950s)
Indonesia (1955)
Vietnam (1955)
Guyana (1953-64)
Japan (1958-1970s)
Nepal (1959)
Laos (1960)
Brazil (1962)
Dominican Republic (1962)
Guatemala (1963)
Bolivia (1966)
Chile (1964-70)
Portugal (1974-75)
Australia (1974-75)
Jamaica (1976)
El Salvador (1984)
Panama (1984, 89)
Nicaragua (1984, 90)
Haiti (1987, 88)
Bulgaria (1990-91)
Albania (1991-92)
Russia (1996)
Mongolia (1996)
Bosnia (1998)

US Versus World at the United Nations
The US has repeatedly acted to undermine peace and human rights initiatives 
at the United Nations, routinely voting against hundreds of UN resolutions 
and treaties. The US easily has the worst record of any nation on not
supporting UN treaties. In almost all of its hundreds of "no" votes, the US 
was the "sole" nation to vote no (among the 100-130 nations that usually 
vote), and among only 1 or 2 other nations voting no the rest of the time. 
Here's a representative sample of US votes from 1978-1987:

US Is the Sole "No" Vote on Resolutions or Treaties
For aid to underdeveloped nations
For the promotion of developing nation exports
For UN promotion of human rights
For protecting developing nations in trade agreements
For New International Economic Order for underdeveloped nations
For development as a human right
Versus multinational corporate operations in South Africa
For cooperative models in developing nations
For right of nations to economic system of their choice
Versus chemical and biological weapons (at least 3 times)
Versus Namibian apartheid
For economic/standard of living rights as human rights
Versus apartheid South African aggression vs. neighboring states (2 times)
Versus foreign investments in apartheid South Africa
For world charter to protect ecology
For anti-apartheid convention
For anti-apartheid convention in international sports
For nuclear test ban treaty (at least 2 times)
For prevention of arms race in outer space
For UNESCO-sponsored new world information order (at least 2 times)
For international law to protect economic rights
For Transport & Communications Decade in Africa
Versus manufacture of new types of weapons of mass destruction
Versus naval arms race
For Independent Commission on Disarmament & Security Issues
For UN response mechanism for natural disasters
For the Right to Food
For Report of Committee on Elimination of Racial Discrimination
For UN study on military development
For Commemoration of 25th anniversary of Independence for Colonial Countries
For Industrial Development Decade in Africa
For interdependence of economic and political rights
For improved UN response to human rights abuses
For protection of rights of migrant workers
For protection against products harmful to health and the environment
For a Convention on the Rights of the Child
For training journalists in the developing world
For international cooperation on third world debt
For a UN Conference on Trade & Development

US Is 1 of Only 2 "No" Votes on Resolutions or Treaties
For Palestinian living conditions/rights (at least 8 times)
Versus foreign intervention into other nations
For a UN Conference on Women
Versus nuclear test explosions (at least 2 times)
For the non-use of nuclear weapons vs. non-nuclear states
For a Middle East nuclear free zone
Versus Israeli nuclear weapons (at least 2 times)
For a new world international economic order
For a trade union conference on sanctions vs. South Africa
For the Law of the Sea Treaty
For economic assistance to Palestinians
For UN measures against fascist activities and groups
For international cooperation on money/finance/debt/trade/development
For a Zone of Peace in the South Atlantic
For compliance with Intl Court of Justice decision for Nicaragua vs. US.
**For a conference and measures to prevent international terrorism 
(including its underlying causes)
For ending the trade embargo vs. Nicaragua

US Is 1 of Only 3 "No" Votes on Resolutions and Treaties
Versus Israeli human rights abuses (at least 6 times)
Versus South African apartheid (at least 4 times)
Versus return of refugees to Israel
For ending nuclear arms race (at least 2 times)
For an embargo on apartheid South Africa
For South African liberation from apartheid (at least 3 times)
For the independence of colonial nations
For the UN Decade for Women
Versus harmful foreign economic practices in colonial territories
For a Middle East Peace Conference
For ending the embargo of Cuba (at least 10 times)

In addition, the US has:
Repeatedly withheld its dues from the UN
Twice left UNESCO because of its human rights initiatives
Twice left the International Labor Organization for its workers rights 
initiatives
Refused to renew the Antiballistic Missile Treaty
Refused to sign the Kyoto Treaty on global warming
Refused to back the World Health Organization's ban on infant formula abuses
Refused to sign the Anti-Biological Weapons Convention
Refused to sign the Convention against the use of land mines
Refused to participate in the UN Conference Against Racism in Durban
Been one of the last nations in the world to sign the UN Covenant on 
Political &
Civil Rights (30 years after its creation)
Refused to sign the UN Covenant on Economic & Social Rights
Opposed the emerging new UN Covenant on the Rights to Peace, Development & 
Environmental Protection

Sampling of Deaths >From US Military Interventions & Propping Up Corrupt 
Dictators (using the most conservative estimates)
Nicaragua
  30,000 dead

Brazil
  100,000 dead

Korea
  4 million dead

Guatemala
  200,000 dead

Honduras
  20,000 dead

El Salvador
  63,000 dead

Argentina
  40,000 dead

Bolivia
  10,000 dead

Uruguay
  10,000 dead

Ecuador
  10,000 dead

Peru
  10,000 dead

Iraq
  1.3 million dead

Iran
  30,000 dead

Sudan
  8-10,000 dead

Colombia
  50,000 dead

Panama
  5,000 dead

Japan
  140,000 dead

Afghanistan
  10,000 dead

Somalia
  5000 dead

Philippines
  150,000 dead

Haiti
  100,000 dead

Dominican Republic
  10,000 dead

Libya
  500 dead

Macedonia
  1000 dead

South Africa
  10,000 dead

Pakistan
  10,000 dead

Palestine
  40,000 dead

Indonesia
  1 million dead

East Timor
  1/3-1/2 of total population

Greece
  10,000 dead

Laos
  600,000 dead

Cambodia
  1 million dead

Angola
  300,000 dead

Grenada
  500 dead

Congo
  2 million dead

Egypt
  10,000 dead

Vietnam
  1.5 million dead

Chile
  50,000 dead

Disillusioned Lackey
The US has done plenty of bad things, not to mention weird things, not to mention things that were just completely MENTAL™.

But if you make that list, then you'd best prepare to *never* work, as you prefer to do (avoid work) because you can't forget Russia (Ukrainian famine - good times, etc etc etc), Much of Europe and Africa... and on, and on, and on....

Flash, instead, why not levy criticism when it can (might) have an impact, and in the meanwhile, take your one-sided anti-American book(s) to the beach, and meet some girls? (note: hide book when girl walks by).
flash
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Wed 25th June 2008, 8:42pm) *

Flash, instead, why not levy criticism when it can (might) have an impact, and in the meanwhile, take your one-sided anti-American book(s) to the beach

Thanky! I like the beach but it is too far from here. I stick to anti-american rants.

No, the point is that many countries are imperialist but the US is perhaps a particularly interesting case in that most people seem to imagine it is anything but! Witness the discussion here about the US role in WW2. I get the the impression that people think the US was motivated by considerations of high moral purpose like... er in it was in Vietnam, Iraq etc. Hence the list. It is the US's amazing success in controlling opinion that makes it worth highlighting - the cynicism and wickedness are of course no different from everyone else. And I'd very hesitantly suggest that this site, Wikipedia Review, is basically interested in the manipulation of facts and opinion on Wikipedia. So that's why this sort of 'anti-americanism' should have a place.

For what its worth, I'm anti-American, anti-British, anti-Russian, anti-French and do on too. I'm not a no-point-of-view philosophical contradiction though.

As to where it can have 'impact', I don't know where that is. In my experience criticism can be very precise and very clear and will immediately be misrepresented. The nonsense version then propagates and has 'impact'. Worse still, it seems this is not even a CIA conspiracy, more like just the limits of human communication...
Moulton
Flash, I've long been quoting the statistic that political violence results in the death of about 2 million people a year, world-wide, and this figure holds for the past century. Do your numbers jibe with that, or do you have better numbers than what I've been quoting?
flash
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 26th June 2008, 5:02pm) *

Flash, I've long been quoting the statistic that political violence results in the death of about 2 million people a year, world-wide, and this figure holds for the past century. Do your numbers jibe with that, or do you have better numbers than what I've been quoting?

No, no, no, my figures are all crap! And so are yours! I reckon it all depends on the question you ask - how you 'define' political violence' in particular, but also the connection to the deaths is tricky...

As far as 'wars' go, figures are totally unreliable. We've seen the number of dead in the Iraq War steady around some 'median' or is it the 'mode'?, but there is good reason to assume the higher figures are more meaningful...

As I say, I got the figures from this US academic who seems to specialise in digging them out, but Chomsky has done some pretty scholarly-looking lists too. The figures are not random, of course they should be trying to be 'accurate', Wikipedia style! but IMO it is better to make general points, giving general reasons. Statistics are just eye-candy. My list was offered as a kind of argument: if you accept that maybe the US has fought a war every year and done a lot of wanton destruction/ killing of civilians ever since WW2 - then maybe it is rash to assume it fought that one for the 'best possible motives' - and has a strategic policy of selfless reconstruction. The exact numbers in each country who perished under the B52s or in the purges of US-installed dictators or whatever are'nt going to change that general argument.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(flash @ Wed 25th June 2008, 10:42am) *

Look, the figures are easy to quote:

The US loaned $4.33bn (£2.2bn) to Britain in 1945, while Canada loaned US$1.19 bn (£607m) in 1946, at a rate of 2% annual interest.

Upon the final payments, the UK will have paid back a total of $7.5bn (£3.8bn) to the US and US$2 bn (£1bn) to Canada.

But the point is that no repayments should have been demanded of the UK for its efforts to fight the Nazis. Certainly the US had no 'need' for the money, and it is typical of the 'war is a business' attitude to see this as somehow just tidy housekeeping.

More appropriate would have been for the Allies to calculate the total costs incurred in the war, and spread them equitably. 'Equity' would have resulted in a massive transfer of wealth away from the US towards Russia and China.

Aggressive and insulting language aside, the US was a late entrant into the war, was learly motivated by calculations of self-interest, obtained global hegemony from the 'ashes' of European folly and created in the post-war period institutions to serve US not dispassionate ends.

Rude boys! Go and look up the texts of the agreements imposed on the allies! These are not egalitarain treaties, these are surrender documents. If you think the post-war consensus was so admirable, try being some of the dead peiople...

We'll discuss dead people later on.

I believe I’ve already answered the question of assistance from the US to the UK in WW II. Overall, the UK got net free assistance from the US, period. However you count it, what UK got in free money from the “Marshall Plan” more than made up for that last bit of lend-lease which they had to pay for, due to the fact that it was made in late 1945 after VE when the European war was already over. You may ask: wouldn’t it have been simpler accounting to simply erase debts from the one with the other, instead of continuing to keep the both on the books? For example where are people doing keeping an IRA retirement account large enough to pay off your mortgage, when you could (in theory) just transfer the one to the other to zero it all out? Well, for various financial reasons (some of the them the same as you and corporations have to keep loan they could in theory pay off immediately) they didn’t. Different groups of people originated and spent the money in each country, and Lend-lease and the ERP were different political acts. And there were economic incentives to keep that low interest loan on the books which I’ve already explained.

Your ad hoc theory that if you ally yourself with somebody in a war, that you should become responsible for paying all their war debts, is a novel one, but not universally accepted. The metaphor is whether or not you become responsible for the debts and children that somebody accumulates before you meet and marry them. In the real world, all such situations are matters of negociation and case-by-case. The basic answer is: you run your life that way if you like. However (just to keep the US out of the discussion) when the USSR declared war on Japan in August of 1945, do you think they thereby agreed to help China with all the war debts it had incurred from fighting Japanese incursions since 1931? Forget it.

Massive transfer of aid from the US to China and the USSR would have been fairest, you say? The US did provide a lot of aid to both countries during the war. The results are known perhaps more in the case of the USSR. For an well-written look at what happened in China I recommend Tuchman’s Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-1945 (Tuchman can tell a story, so she’s accurate history without being dry history). The basic problem in China is that a lot of military was less interested in fighting the Japanese, no matter what the Japanese were doing to the country, than they were in saving themselves for the internecine struggle between factions (Nationalists and Communists, as it turned out) that they knew would follow the victory over the Japanese by the US. The Chinese were quite happy to let the US shoulder the burden of fighting Japan. So the US is supposed to help groups which are interested in not fighting a common enemy, but instead each other? Mostly that giant Chinese army was nowhere to be found in WW II. Strangely, it turned up just 5 years later, being used against the US in Korea. I suppose you think that wouldn’t have happened had we sent Mao some money? Perhaps at the expense of the Nationalists, who actually WERE doing some fighting against Japan?

In the USSR, the post-war result of all the US aid is better known. The USSR took the goods, then used them to turn the Eastern Bloc into puppet states in contravention to their earlier promises (and yes, they were puppet states—it was not a symmetrical situation between East and West in Europe from 1945-89. You might ask Durova about this, LOL). For all their war damage, the USSR had enough materiel to continue beligerence against Berlin (never in their history did the USSR have a problem in choosing between guns and butter.) In such circumstances, the US was not about to further help arm a nation which was clearly using the money to build up forces opposing the US in Europe. Had the USSR behaved differently and kept the promises they’d made at Teheran and Potsdam, I think things would have been very different.

Your long list of deaths attributed to the US meddling in foreign affairs: Sampling of Deaths From US Military Interventions & Propping Up Corrupt Dictators (using the most conservative estimates) is droll. I see, for example, a figure of 4 million for Korea, which easily exceeds the entire death toll from the Korean war. This is “US military intervention”? That would be news to the U.N., which ran the campaign. All the deaths are the fault of the US, and not those of the aggressors? And the “corrupt dictators” in Korea would be those people ruling South Korea now, one supposes, and not the shining democracy which holds sway in North Korea, eh?

And so long as we’re making a list and complaining about dictators, why didn’t Stalin and Mao qualify as “corrupt dictators”? Is it because you’re advocating that after WWII we should have been “propping them up” by sending them more cash, but didn’t? Suppose we had?

If numbers of deaths are what wind your clock, remember that US meddling was in the context of the cold war, and the ideological struggle between Communism and the West, in which most of the deaths were on the other side. Remember “Communism”? In the West, nobody was really quite sure what it was, and that wasn’t entirely our fault, since nobody else was either (Karl Marx who became Spokesman for Socialist reform in his lifetime, complained also in his own lifetime that he himself “was no Marxist”). But whatever the collectivist doctrine was in practice, and how it was interpreted variously (like Jimbo’s five pillars) in the USSR and China, there was one thing that was clear to the West: it killed people wherever it was applied. Stalin killed more people with a shot to the back of the head (something like 10 million) than the Nazis killed with gas (and the Nazis did kill all they are given credit for—it’s not that the “Nazi holocaust” isn’t real and as bad as advertised, it’s that the Soviet and Chinese holocausts were worse, and not as well advertised). The Nazis got the most bad press. Yet the Soviets killed another 10 million or so by starvation during farm collectivization. While the Chinese were doing this, it may have been as many as 40 million. Whatever it was, it certainly holds the record.

In the West, you mostly read about this mass die-off from Communist political ideology in the last half the 20th century, in the Reader’s Digest, reprinting articles from conservative sources. I read them growing up. The Left just didn’t talk about it, and when it did, was busy minimizing it, denying it, explaining why some of it was necessary, or else why some minor dislocations were due to the failure of the West to send more money to the USSR and China (while all the time these countries always seemed to find money to build up nuclear missile arsenals). The conservative idea was that that collectivized farming was to blame, and that starvation would stop in Communist countries, when people were allowed to grow their own produce. The Left laughed like hell at this, and called it (at best) “simplistic.” The Left always calls the Right “simplistic,” even when it is dead-on. The idea being that whatever else the Right has, it certainly isn’t the intelligentsia.

Well, by now the books of the dead are opened. The USSR collapsed in 1991 from finally buying that last gun with the money that should have bought that last bit of butter, and the Chinese have abandoned collectivized farming and magically found they could feed themselves. Not only was the Right right about this, but it was right for the right reasons. This has never stopped the Left from complaining that the Right was using the death toll from Communism, which the Right complained loudly about, as a mere cynical smokescreen to justify US hegemony. To which I respond that it was obviously a poor smokescreen, if the Left either denied it or didn’t care about it at the time, at all (which they did not, I can tell you personally). But then, you’d expect the Right’s propaganda-tricks to be really dumb, yes? Who knew that this one stopped-clock-being-occasionally-correct thing, would stick?

So yes, the US did many things in the Cold War period that were the lesser of two evils. We refused to sign biowarfare pacts while the Soviets wouldn’t. And it was the Soviets who made METRIC TONS of smallpox virus, not the US (we made other bioweapons, but nothing nearly that irresponsible). Yes, the US refused for many years to reneg on using tactical atomic weaponry to defend Western Europe, but with a 4000 mile supply line, there wasn’t much else it could do. Again, not a symmetrical situation. Throughout the cold war, the USSR’s paranoia was never justified, and neither was their military spending. If the West hadn’t attacked them in the late 1940’s when we had atomic weapons and they didn’t, when their industry was in ruins and ours wasn’t, then why be afraid of us? The aggression of the USSR from 1945-88 nearly spent both East and West halves of the world into bankruptcy, and is a major reason for the decline of the US as an economic power, after 1975. You’re welcome.

Now, the US has major problems, but they are of more recent vintage, since justification for them has disappeared after the cold war. If you want to level some fairer criticism at the US and its allies (those allies being fewer each day), it will be post-cold war crticism. It won’t have anything to do with how the US (successfully) opposed global Communist expansion from 1945-89. Rather it will have to do with the US failure to recognize that since the Cold war was over after that, that it had better then rethink what it was about. But Eisenhower was right in 1960 about the military-industrial complex, and the US has basically been unable to do that, having been at “war” so long that it has forgotten how to do anything else but wage war (my posterchild for this failure to get out of old ruts, is making the former Warsaw Pact states into NATO partners (!) in this century. That’s an Alice-in-Wonderland sign of total hardening of the brain arteries in people who just cannot stop doing what they’re used to doing). But I would put that down as a < 17 year-old problem for the senile West, not a 60 year-old one. It isn’t that we didn’t fight the Good Fight; we did. It’s just that we won, and then forgot how to go home. Some of us are trying to help, but bringing up old pre-1990 issues that really are not germane, doesn’t help. You should generally be grateful for what the US and its allies did between 1942 and 1990. Without it, one of those 10’s of millions of starving people, victims of totally irrational economic thinking, might have been you.

Milton
flash
QUOTE(flash @ Wed 25th June 2008, 10:42am) *

it is typical of the 'war is a business' attitude ... If you think the post-war consensus was so admirable, try being some of the dead peiople...

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 28th June 2008, 9:35pm) *

"Your ad hoc theory that if you ally yourself with somebody in a war, that you should become responsible for paying all their war debts, is a novel one, but not universally accepted. "

Look, if you disagree with me again I will have you banned, BANNED you hear!

Anyway, prior to that, a few points:

In this case, more precisely, I'm saying if you ally yourself with someone in a war you should forego charging your ally for your help.

"Massive transfer of aid from the US to China and the USSR would have been fairest, you say? .... The basic problem in China is that a lot of military was less interested in fighting the Japanese, no matter what the Japanese were doing to the country, than they were in saving themselves for the internecine struggle between factions (Nationalists and Communists, as it turned out) that they knew would follow the victory over the Japanese by the US. The Chinese were quite happy to let the US shoulder the burden of fighting Japan. So the US is supposed to help groups which are interested in not fighting a common enemy, but instead each other? Mostly that giant Chinese army was nowhere to be found in WW II. Strangely, it turned up just 5 years later, being used against the US in Korea. I suppose you think that wouldn’t have happened had we sent Mao some money? Perhaps at the expense of the Nationalists, who actually WERE doing some fighting against Japan? "

My reading of history is that the Nationalists, who were supported by the Europeans and the US before and through the war, fought their fellow Chinese Communists in preference to the Japanese invaders. The Chinese Communists obtained crucial legitimacy through their opposition to the Japanese which was in stark contrast to the Nationalists who became seen as creatures of Western influence.

"The USSR took the goods, then used them to turn the Eastern Bloc into puppet states in contravention to their earlier promises"

The USSR was assigned Eastern Europe as its 'sphere of influence' - the US spent the next 50 years ensuring that none of 'its' states went communist. I guess here at least we touch upon a Wikipedia issue - all that misleading and partial anti-communist history!

"Your long list of deaths attributed to the US meddling in foreign affairs: Sampling of Deaths From US Military Interventions & Propping Up Corrupt Dictators (using the most conservative estimates) is droll. I see, for example, a figure of 4 million for Korea, which easily exceeds the entire death toll from the Korean war. This is “US military intervention”? That would be news to the U.N., which ran the campaign. "

I didn't know there were still people who thought that the UN was the power responsible for these wars. Was the UN behind the Iraq one too?

"And so long as we’re making a list and complaining about dictators, why didn’t Stalin and Mao qualify as “corrupt dictators”? Is it because you’re advocating that after WWII we should have been “propping them up” by sending them more cash, but didn’t? "

I don't recall giving a view on Stalin and Mao as such, but thanks for giving it to me! My justification for rebuilding China and Russia was due to the incredible destruction and loss of life the two countries suffered. National pride notwithstanding, the Chinese communists had reversed the advance of the Japanese prior to the US entry into the war, and Russia had done likewise to the Germans.

"Stalin killed more people with a shot to the back of the head (something like 10 million) than the Nazis killed with gas... the Soviets killed another 10 million or so by starvation during farm collectivization. While the Chinese were doing this, it may have been as many as 40 million."

This is a musunderstanding of tragic proportions.... The US killed all those millions cited alrady - but of course mostly at arms elnght and without really recognising the consequences of their acts. The Chinese and Russian farm refroms were in moral terms 'no worse' than the Western manipulation of world markets in their favour which continues to result in the impoverishment and death of millions of 'poor people' in what used to be called 'the Third World'.

"Some of us are trying to help, but bringing up old pre-1990 issues that really are not germane, doesn’t help. You should generally be grateful for what the US and its allies did between 1942 and 1990. Without it, one of those 10’s of millions of starving people, victims of totally irrational economic thinking, might have been you."

Milton, I'm grateful for all those who have made sacrifices in the hope of a better world. I just reckon the idealism of the individuals 'fighting for freedom and justice'has been cynically negated by the cold calculators of the business elite fighting for $$$.
Jacina
actually (read chinese history of that period) Mao and whoever the other guy was, were doingn a lot of civil warring before the war broke out, the nationalists were winning. Then Japan attacked, the Nationalists, being on the coast, and controlling the major cities, took the brunt of the attack. The other guy + Mao agreed to peace during this time to fight the oppressors, Mao stuck to guerilla tactics (the only way he knew how to fight) while the other guy did the "real" war bit. (and actually managed to fight the japanese to a stop since his back was clear)

Guess who took more losses.

After the war Mao and the other guy went back to war and since the other guy had been severly weakened by the Japanese, Mao won.

Read http://www.carpenoctem.tv/military/mao.html wink.gif
Poetlister
QUOTE(Jacina @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 9:51am) *

whoever the other guy was

Chiang Kai-Shek?

IPB Image
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 11:53am) *

whoever the other guy was

Chiang Kai-Shek?

IPB Image

Yep. I've seen the bullet holes.
thekohser
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 4:42pm) *

I'll take this one, just for fun.

Wow.

Fleas, ancient Hebrew, Lend-Lease economics, semiotics...

Milton, is there a subject on which you are afraid to opine? It seems that you are an expert in everything, and I'm not saying that to be snide!

Greg
guy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 1:57pm) *

Milton, is there a subject on which you are afraid to opine? It seems that you are an expert in everything, and I'm not saying that to be snide!

Aha! He must be Runcorn, the well-known expert on bondage, London railway stations, English poetry, chemistry and much else.
flash

Mao stuck to guerilla tactics (the only way he knew how to fight) while the other guy did the "real" war bit... Read http://www.carpenoctem.tv/military/mao.html wink.gif

Hey, this source might do for Wikipedia but I wouldn't want to meet the authors on a chat show!

There's two:

Mark, who says: "Who would have ever thought that watching a stupid Sigourney Weaver movie would spark the rampage that I have been on... I remember right after I saw that movie, I emailed my homeboy Greg ... and asked for his advice on a book that I could read where I could learn more. Soon after that I started the beginnings of this web site, by writing about the various killers that I had read about.  Everybody thought that I was crazy.  But Greg just simply said "Everybody needs a hobby.""

IPB Image

and (to be NPOV) Kristi who says:

"I am simply a 21 year old college student.  I have no credentials and no qualifications other than a passion for truth and the opinion of the smaller groups that can sometimes be ignored"
Maju
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Thu 19th June 2008, 7:34pm) *

If you guys think that this doesn't affect Wikipedia, you are living in a dream world, sorry.

This for instance, comes up ever so often, but gets quickly deleted from the article, imagine if it was his cousin Adolf in question, it'd be a dead cert runner. A lot of POV and misinformation on Wikipedia. The CAMERA episode comes to mind, and they are still there, but now more subtle than ever. A surprising amount of POV in history & culture articles, and I daren't mention them. Some archives on Wikipedia have dozens of pages of archives, the disputes are that intense and ongoing.

Personally I would not trust any cultural article on Wikipedia, or the "origins of" something or other. An extreme amount of POV, sadly. unsure.gif

That is exactly what I have come to hate most of the sad siatuation of Wikipedia: with the growth of the lil monster, it came the influence and the interest of sooooo many people and specially well funded organizations (intelligence agencies, lobbies, etc.) in influencing content, specially on history and humanities.

You just can't consensuate content (much less win an edit conflict) with a paid agent, if s/he doesn't like your additions. S/he always has more time, more motivation (salary, boss) and can be more stubborn and tricky than any good-willed editor with interest for NPOV. Even if you are lucky and there are other good-willed editors spontaneously interested in the issue, it's very likely that the agent will win anyhow. If s/he doesn't, still the emotional and motivational exhaustion generated by such an absurd battle will cause good-willed amateur editors to eventually decide to invest their time more effectively outside Wikipedia.

The byproduct is the clique. Not everybody is probably a paid agent in it, many are just useful fools. But it's self-evident who will control it anyhow: the ones who get paid (not by Wikipedia but by someone else).
Maju
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 21st June 2008, 1:06pm) *

What everyone, including intelligence, has forgotten, is that it was not intelligence that won the Cold War, it was economics.

Ok. So far.

Though dismantling the USSR as such was largely an intelligence op probably.

Anyone who's read Ricardian theory knows that trade negotiations are not a battleground for economic war - period. (David Ricardo was one of Adam Smith's compatriots, also David Hume) knows that tariff reductions provide greater economic gains to the less taxing (lower tariff, less protected) economy than the ROW (rest of world) - with caveats, ie. ceterus paribus.

Not everybody thinks in the terms of Ricardo/Smith (i.e. liberal economics), Marx and other socialist thinkers also have their influence. And one of the basics of Marxist economics is that no country other than (partly) the pioneer Britain and the very special case of the USA, have been able to compete in the global capitalist economy without protectionism and state intervention.

The problem of Economics as "science" is that it's not as much a science as ideology. But really good economists and statesmen get over that (they can see both sides).

Anyhow, way off-topic. Sorry, couldn't help myself. rolleyes.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(guy @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 11:22am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 1:57pm) *

Aha! He must be Runcorn, the well-known expert on bondage, London railway stations, English poetry, chemistry and much else.

Well, I couldn't do this on my own, without artificial assistance. I'm connected to the net, and once there, I can look up anything on Wikipedia biggrin.gif

Sorry that you-all are the targets of my opinions about everything, tongue.gif but writing is a disease. I presume you're ignoring most of said posts, instead of feeling you need to read them like letters from your mother in law?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 4:57am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 4:42pm) *

I'll take this one, just for fun.

Wow.

Fleas, ancient Hebrew, Lend-Lease economics, semiotics...

Greg

Well, I was right about the fleas (they were fleas, in case anyone was still wondering). I got that by PM, ph34r.gif but I don't think it's too personal to tell out-of-school. Get our your guitar and pick:

Jan-Ron-Has-Fleas
IPB Image

Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Maju @ Mon 14th July 2008, 7:56pm) *

Though dismantling the USSR as such was largely an intelligence op probably.
Beans. They were overstating their productivity for decades, and it all crashed on them.

Not everybody thinks in the terms of Ricardo/Smith (i.e. liberal economics), Marx and other socialist thinkers also have their influence. And one of the basics of Marxist economics is that no country other than (partly) the pioneer Britain and the very special case of the USA, have been able to compete in the global capitalist economy without protectionism and state intervention.

The problem of Economics as "science" is that it's not as much a science as ideology. But really good economists and statesmen get over that (they can see both sides).

No, Ricardian theory is mathematical. Even marxists wind up adhering to it, because it works.

There's only a "problem" or "ideology" if you don't understand it.

It's like calling "gravity" ideology.
Disillusioned Lackey

Anyhow, way off-topic. Sorry, couldn't help myself. rolleyes.gif

Another comment (and no, this isn't off topic at all - the intel is all over this topic -- "Yoo Hoo... HelLLO BOYZ!!!") rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

This aspect of economics (Ricardian Theory) is grounded in mathematics, and there's empirical proof to back it up. (so what if the particular mathematical theorist, Nash, was nuts - he was also brilliant!)

Your comments are classic anti-globalization rhetoric. As we say, both the pro-free-trade and the anti-globalization people don't understand the real issues, and therefore can't make cogent points. So they wind up making completely facetious arguments on both sides. If you watch from an informed point of view, it's truly amazing. One of these days, both sides are going to read the right books, and have some truly interesting points to make. As it stands, both think that trade is a tool of hegemony (it's not). Both sides oppose and support trade and liberalization on incorrect premises. It's comic - and tragic. All at once*.

Socialists hate Ricardo? Ha ha. Nope. Cuba was a founding member of the GATT (the GATT being the pre-WTO entity). They even hosted the first Ministerial, that flopped...... because our country (the US) was ambivalent about all this liberalisation stuff (and still is, really). If what you say is true (which it is not) then Cuba would not have joined. Then there's all the democratic socialists in Scandinavia, who thought it was great. Not to mention highly "socialized" France. And the Germans have their socialist stuff going on too. (Socialism found a wider home in Europe than in the US, during the 20s). All such countries espouse Ricardian theory - and sadly they teach it as a basic educational topic, which we should, but don't.

There's only a few places in the United States where this is taught - they being law schools. Just a couple. And even they don't have the same broad historical approach - which is really cool to learn about.

As for socialists and the GATT: The Soviet Union was a founding member, then left (in some kind of cold-war huff, I suppose) - then tried to get back in over and over again - and as the new "Russian Federation", they are still trying. (and trying, and trying), for about ten years now. Any day now (checks watch). But not with our U.S. economy in the pooper and them being happily oil rich. Fair enough that Saudi just got in the club, but they are special. cool.gif

Politics.

As for your comment about Europe and the US being the only entities to succeed with liberalization, that's patently false. Both have practiced various forms of protectionism, since the talks started 50 years ago. More recently, some of those tools are being dismantled. But slowly, slowly, slowly. Poor countries have learned that protection is harmful, albeit there are temporal cases where it can help, but you have to be *really* careful to not make things worse than better. Very careful.

"I have a dream" (ahem), that we will all learn more about this topic in the U.S.

At least so that us economists don't have to roll our eyes and listen to a lot of silliness about how tuna, dolphins and things are the issue - when they were merely the traded "good" (foodstuff) in question (Let's face it - they were trying to kill those tuna to sell them, and the dolphins** were only an issue because one party was asking foreign fisherman to use better nets than their local fisherman - to "protect" their market - which was a legal violation of reciprocal "national treatment". i.e. very few of both the "protestors" as well as the "establishment" had (and have) clear arguments addressing real points.

It's really hard to watch. Honestly.

* This month I say "tragic" but that's because of how it affected me personally (but I won't go there...)

** No one ever gave a damn about the dolphins proper - and perhaps someone should, but under the current negotiated framework, "that place" is not the correct venue.

ps: "Cotton" was an unfunny WTO joke, related to recent court cases. You know that the WTO has ruled against the US in a few key cases of late, right? (Cotton is one of them) This is a little known fact about the place. It's highly democratic, and even the biggest powers have to make concessions. It's far more democratic than the UN, for example. And it's the only actively functioning international court - mostly because it's the only one the US supports so strongly - why? Because the long-run benefits are greater than short-term protectionism (even Cuba knows that - though US socialists - not so much). US participation can make-or-break about anything international, and US participation in this "animal" is really fascinating. Likewise the WTO is fascinating, as a machine, and organization, as well as a creator of new international law.
Disillusioned Lackey
Still on the Intl Trade topic.

This is a funny area where the word "liberal" is totally used differently than in the USA. In free trade, "liberal" means "liberalizing", which is what the conservatives in the US support, and they position themselves against "liberals". I was befuddled by this in graduate school, being American, studying in Europe, where no one else saw the irony. But the Economist wrote a funny article on it a few years ago.

Originally Posted by The Economist

There's a word for that (and we want it back)

Nov 4th 2004

ALL through this election campaign, George Bush has flung the vilest term of abuse he knows at John Kerry. You name the policy—Mr Kerry's support for punitive taxes and reckless public spending, as Mr Bush put it; his preference for stifling government and overweening bureaucracy; his failure to stand up for, oh, expensive new weapons systems, microscopic embryos and the sanctity of marriage—and the president's verdict in each case was the same. “There's a word for that,” he said, again and again. “It's called liberalism.”

What more need one say? And Mr Kerry was not just any sort of liberal: he had actually been the most liberal member of the Senate. When told this, appalled Republicans jeered more loudly than if Mr Bush had accused his challenger of eating babies. (That man dared to run for president! Did he think he would not be found out?) Understandably, Mr Kerry was sometimes wrong-footed by this egregious defamation. Occasionally, smiling nervously, he said he was not ashamed to be liberal. (Audacious, but perhaps unwise.) At other times he tried to deny it. (You see, he protests too much.) In America, that kind of accusation cannot easily be shrugged off.

“Liberal” is a term of contempt in much of Europe as well—even though, strangely enough, it usually denotes the opposite tendency. Rather than being keen on taxes and public spending, European liberals are often derided (notably in France) for seeking minimal government—in fact, for denying that government has any useful role at all, aside from pruning vital regulation and subverting the norms of decency that impede the poor from being ground down. Thus, in continental Europe, as in the United States, liberalism is also regarded as a perversion, a pathology: there is consistency in that respect, even though the sickness takes such different forms. And again, in its most extreme expression, it tests the boundaries of tolerance. Worse than ordinary liberals are Europe's neoliberals: market-worshipping, nihilistic sociopaths to a man. Many are said to believe that “there is no such thing as society.”

Yet there ought to be a word—not to mention, here and there, a political party—to stand for what liberalism used to mean. The idea, with its roots in English and Scottish political philosophy of the 18th century, speaks up for individual rights and freedoms, and challenges over-mighty government and other forms of power. In that sense, traditional English liberalism favoured small government—but, crucially, it viewed a government's efforts to legislate religion and personal morality as sceptically as it regarded the attempt to regulate trade (the favoured economic intervention of the age). This, in our view, remains a very appealing, as well as internally consistent, kind of scepticism.

Parted in error
Sadly, modern politics has divorced the two strands, with the left emphasising individual rights in social and civil matters but not in economic life, and the right saying the converse. That separation explains how it can be that the same term is now used in different places to say opposite things. What is harder to explain is why “liberal” has become such a term of abuse. When you understand that the tradition it springs from has changed the world so much for the better in the past two and a half centuries, you might have expected all sides to be claiming the label for their own exclusive use.

However, we are certainly not encouraging that. We do not want Republicans and Democrats, socialists and conservatives all demanding to be recognised as liberals (even though they should want to be). That would be too confusing. Better to hand “liberal” back to its original owner. For the use of the right, we therefore recommend the following insults: leftist, statist, collectivist, socialist. For the use of the left: conservative, neoconservative, far-right extremist and apologist for capitalism. That will free “liberal” to be used exclusively from now on in its proper sense, as we shall continue to use it regardless. All we need now is the political party.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.