Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SlimVirgin removing image problem tags
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
Giggy
Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents#User:SlimVirgin removing image problem tags just caught my eye. Best quote, though, had nothing to do with images;
QUOTE(RHMED)
I'm shocked, no outraged that slimVirgin has been removing these tags, surely that's Crum375's job? Is Crum slacking or something? Buck up Crum, Slim needs ya.

laugh.gif
maggot3
Apparently she wants to upload pictures to en-wiki already uploaded to commons - because animal rights pictures sometimes get deleted, which she considers as part of an evil agenda on commons' part. Amazing.
guy
Why doesn't she become an admin on Commons?
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 8th June 2008, 9:13am) *

Why doesn't she become an admin on Commons?

Because she'd have to pry the mop from Kelly's cold dead fingers?
Cla68
The image discussion came up on my talk page, which SV evidently took exception to.

The actual discussion over the images is here.
gomi
This is a tremendously clever strategy at a time when Slimey is under increased scrutiny due to the ongoing RFAR. Slim, being no fool, knows this, hence all of the protestations about "not being drawn in", even as she is drawn in.

She does live in a bit of a bubble on WP, as she can rely on Crum, Jayjg, IronDuke, and a myriad of others to take her side on just about anything, but this incredibly gnomish stuff has her rattled at the moment.

Fun for all the family!
Random832
QUOTE(maggot3 @ Sun 8th June 2008, 8:04am) *

Apparently she wants to upload pictures to en-wiki already uploaded to commons - because animal rights pictures sometimes get deleted, which she considers as part of an evil agenda on commons' part. Amazing.

That's actually the one reasonable thing she's doing here - There's no agenda as far as I know, but Commons has a history of (what seems to outsiders as) moving the goalposts on what's considered acceptable licenses and PD-status. There really should be a better process for notifying interested people who don't check commons when there's a deletion discussion, so they can take action to upload it on their own wiki (as PD-US or fair use if acceptable under the local wiki's rules) when/if it gets deleted.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Giggy @ Sun 8th June 2008, 8:00am) *

Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents#User:SlimVirgin removing image problem tags just caught my eye. Best quote, though, had nothing to do with images;
QUOTE(RHMED)
I'm shocked, no outraged that slimVirgin has been removing these tags, surely that's Crum375's job? Is Crum slacking or something? Buck up Crum, Slim needs ya.

laugh.gif

RHMED will not last long before a block, given the other thread about him started by Filll a while ago. All these transgressions etc add up.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 9th June 2008, 10:12am) *

That's actually the one reasonable thing she's doing here - There's no agenda as far as I know, but Commons has a history of (what seems to outsiders as) moving the goalposts on what's considered acceptable licenses and PD-status. There really should be a better process for notifying interested people who don't check commons when there's a deletion discussion, so they can take action to upload it on their own wiki (as PD-US or fair use if acceptable under the local wiki's rules) when/if it gets deleted.

Commons will email you changes to your watchlist. There's a little box in preferences. If you're just watching "images relevant to you", it works perfect-like.
dtobias
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 9th June 2008, 10:32am) *

RHMED will not last long before a block, given the other thread about him started by Filll a while ago. All these transgressions etc add up.

Filll seems to be becoming my self-appointed arch enemy lately, popping up these days in various forums after I post there and responding with a diatribe about how I'm unhealthily obsessed with BADSITES.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 9th June 2008, 4:48pm) *

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 9th June 2008, 10:32am) *

Filll seems to be becoming my self-appointed arch enemy lately, popping up these days in various forums after I post there and responding with a diatribe about how I'm unhealthily obsessed with BADSITES.

Well, aren't you? Here you are, writing in and reading a BADSITE. You bad boy. You dirty, dirty, FILTHY boy... wink.gif
Neil
This whole fuss about SV's images has been stupid and avoidable - if Kelly believed SV's really been making up image rationales, the images should have been taken to wp:Images for deletion, rather than used as drama tools.
Giggy
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Tue 10th June 2008, 2:38am) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 9th June 2008, 10:12am) *

Commons will email you changes to your watchlist. There's a little box in preferences. If you're just watching "images relevant to you", it works perfect-like.

Yes, my rant on how it's not Commons' fault if you can't get email watchlist updates obviously hasn't been considered.
Viridae
QUOTE(Neil @ Tue 10th June 2008, 7:17pm) *

This whole fuss about SV's images has been stupid and avoidable - if Kelly believed SV's really been making up image rationales, the images should have been taken to wp:Images for deletion, rather than used as drama tools.

THey are on PUI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pos...e_images#June_7

(SV is getting burniated there for false licensing claims too)
Aloft
This little exchange is telling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_talk:GushKatif1.jpg

This is a prime candidate of a copyrighted picture illegally pulled off a private site. The owner has not released this image or others for free use. --Shuki 21:02, 22 February 2006 (UTC)

Why do you think it's a "private" site, whatever that means? It's a community/political website, and I can't imagine the people who run it would object at all to our use of it; on the contrary, if anything. I can e-mail them to check. SlimVirgin (talk) 21:12, 22 February 2006 (UTC)

Then to avoid problems, please attain their permission and don't lie that ther's no way to obtain it. Since when are assumptions an excuse for pulling images of personal sites? --Shuki 21:14, 22 February 2006 (UTC)

On top of that, I think it does have modest commercial value since it is actually a nice photo. Don't see how it represents Gush Katif though...--Shuki 21:17, 22 February 2006 (UTC)

How many of these images did she upload with the assumption that the copyright holders wouldn't mind?
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Aloft @ Tue 10th June 2008, 2:09pm) *

How many of these images did she upload with the assumption that the copyright holders wouldn't mind?

To be fair to Slim, the Animal Rights site has a big slogan which says words to the effect of feel free to use all our images, and email us if you want higher quality versions.

What Slim has not done is properly document that in some way. "They are free because I said so" is not good enough when you are not claiming ownership - as many an uploader has found out. Rather than do battle, she should simply acknowledge that what was good enough in 2005 for Wikipedia is now not considered so. While there may be some small differences between the Wikis, I would think that ultimately all of the Wikis will be bound by the same legal requirements.
guy
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 10th June 2008, 2:57pm) *

While there may be some small differences between the Wikis, I would think that ultimately all of the Wikis will be bound by the same legal requirements.

Actually, while all Wikis (being hosted in Florida) are subject to Florida and US federal law, Commons also abides by the law of the country where the image was uploaded (if known).
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(guy @ Tue 10th June 2008, 6:16pm) *

While there may be some small differences between the Wikis, I would think that ultimately all of the Wikis will be bound by the same legal requirements.

Actually, while all Wikis (being hosted in Florida) are subject to Florida and US federal law, Commons also abides by the law of the country where the image was uploaded (if known).

...and why should there be that difference? The only difference I can see is that Commons might not be able to claim fair use for having a picture in a repository as opposed to being referenced in an article.
Janron
QUOTE(Viridae @ Tue 10th June 2008, 8:46am) *

THey are on PUI:

laugh.gif @ burniated! Is that a new word? It's also funny to me, even if it's not a real word, which I believe it is not, I understood it! So, you may have created a new word! lol
Random832
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 10th June 2008, 10:26pm) *

...and why should there be that difference? The only difference I can see is that Commons might not be able to claim fair use for having a picture in a repository as opposed to being referenced in an article.

It's not the country where the image was uploaded, it's the country where the image was _created_ - the idea is to make sure that images are free for _anyone_ to use (an image that is public-domain in the US may not be public-domain in the country of origin, because the US has some copyright exemptions that are more liberal than those some other countries have)
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 11th June 2008, 1:43am) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 10th June 2008, 10:26pm) *

It's not the country where the image was uploaded, it's the country where the image was _created_ - the idea is to make sure that images are free for _anyone_ to use (an image that is public-domain in the US may not be public-domain in the country of origin, because the US has some copyright exemptions that are more liberal than those some other countries have)

That makes sense - and of course should be the same criteria across all projects.
Disillusioned Lackey
guy
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 11th June 2008, 8:19am) *

That makes sense - and of course should be the same criteria across all projects.

There certainly is no consistency. I'm pretty sure Commons doesn't allow Fair Use images (a concept not recognised in English copyright law) whereas there are huge numbers of {{fairuse}} ones on WP. Also, US law regards virtually anything published (produced?) before 1923 as Public Domain whereas European law requires 70 years from death, so a photo published in 1920 by an English person who lived to 1950, say, would be OK in the US but not here.

dogbiscuit
QUOTE(guy @ Wed 11th June 2008, 11:17am) *

There certainly is no consistency. I'm pretty sure Commons doesn't allow Fair Use images (a concept not recognised in English copyright law) whereas there are huge numbers of {{fairuse}} ones on WP. Also, US law regards virtually anything published (produced?) before 1923 as Public Domain whereas European law requires 70 years from death, so a photo published in 1920 by an English person who lived to 1950, say, would be OK in the US but not here.

Though I'm not entirely sure, I thought English Law does have a fair use exception - you are allowed to use quotes and so on for the purposes of criticism and review.

I suspect the difference comes in interpretation. The album cover issue would be an example. In UK law, showing a low resolution cover picture while discussing the album art itself may be permissible - though I would not be certain of that. In the US it is clearly considered a reasonable interpretation. What is not reasonable is having the cover purely to illustrate the article, because then you are not involving the cover itself in the review and I thought that might be an issue on both sides of the pond. The difference being say the iconic Dark Side of the Moon cover discussed in the article of the album vs say an early Beach Boys cover.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 9th June 2008, 6:13pm) *

Well, aren't you? Here you are, writing in and reading a BADSITE. You bad boy. You dirty, dirty, FILTHY boy... wink.gif

Oooh err Mrs. smile.gif
Giggy
QUOTE(guy @ Wed 11th June 2008, 8:17pm) *

Yep, no fair use on Commons. Basically, it only takes images that were free where created, and are free in Florida. The idea is that they should be free everywhere, but that's slightly wishful thinking, so this is the next best thing.

Why do you think it's a "private" site, whatever that means? It's a community/political website, and I can't imagine the people who run it would object at all to our use of it; on the contrary, if anything. I can e-mail them to check. SlimVirgin (talk) 21:12, 22 February 2006 (UTC)

*shudders*

If we did things like that on Commons... *shudders*
prospero
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 11th June 2008, 6:38am) *

QUOTE(guy @ Wed 11th June 2008, 11:17am) *

Though I'm not entirely sure, I thought English Law does have a fair use exception - you are allowed to use quotes and so on for the purposes of criticism and review.

I suspect the difference comes in interpretation. The album cover issue would be an example. In UK law, showing a low resolution cover picture while discussing the album art itself may be permissible - though I would not be certain of that. In the US it is clearly considered a reasonable interpretation. What is not reasonable is having the cover purely to illustrate the article, because then you are not involving the cover itself in the review and I thought that might be an issue on both sides of the pond. The difference being say the iconic Dark Side of the Moon cover discussed in the article of the album vs say an early Beach Boys cover.

It doesn't matter anyway, since I doubt the record companies care. In fact, given the past incidents of astroturfing new bands by ips from major record labels, I'd gather they probably like it. Anyway, it makes sense to include pictures of album and book covers in their respective articles, so I don't mind it. The copyright paranoia perpetuated by some quarters is annoying, however.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(prospero @ Wed 11th June 2008, 7:38pm) *

It doesn't matter anyway, since I doubt the record companies care. In fact, given the past incidents of astroturfing new bands by ips from major record labels, I'd gather they probably like it. Anyway, it makes sense to include pictures of album and book covers in their respective articles, so I don't mind it. The copyright paranoia perpetuated by some quarters is annoying, however.

Well, that is not the basis of copyright law. The problem is not ours or The Community's, it is whoever fears that they may have to foot a legal bill for copyright infringement - especially if they get some ORTS volunteer who disregards a cease and desist on the basis of fair use - that would be WMF.

Have WMF imposed any rules?

FWIW, I think it is fine to use pictures, but I can see that the record companies might turn around and say "Hey, they will still have the articles without the pictures, and they have 1000 album covers of ours, that has got to be worth some sort of licence fee."
Cedric
QUOTE(Iamlost @ Tue 10th June 2008, 5:41pm) *

THey are on PUI:

laugh.gif @ burniated! Is that a new word? It's also funny to me, even if it's not a real word, which I believe it is not, I understood it! So, you may have created a new word! lol

Uhhhhh, no.

IPB Image
Viridae
QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 12th June 2008, 9:42am) *

QUOTE(Iamlost @ Tue 10th June 2008, 5:41pm) *

THey are on PUI:

Uhhhhh, no.

IPB Image

Similar but not quite the same! It just seemed appropriate.
dtobias
When Rolling Stone reviews albums, they show the cover. Are they breaking copyright?
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 12th June 2008, 1:03pm) *

When Rolling Stone reviews albums, they show the cover. Are they breaking copyright?

I would assume that a publisher doing reviews has an arrangement. No doubt when a publication like that gets a review copy, they also get a press pack which may well include appropriate waivers and artwork.

Clearly the water gets muddied with reviews, as most publishers want the free advertising.

Generally though, the press are used to dealing with this stuff, so it is no big deal. Clearly, if you email your local newspaper with a picture there is an implied consent, and most newspapers do publish their terms and conditions which explains on what terms they accept writing and pictures.
Giggy
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 12th June 2008, 10:16pm) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 12th June 2008, 1:03pm) *

Clearly the water gets muddied with reviews, as most publishers want the free advertising.

That would be the key point. They could claim fair use if necessary, but in most cases Rolling Stone coverage is a good thing. And AFAIK you agree to let them use the album cover before they tell you how much your album sucked.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Wed 11th June 2008, 10:48am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 9th June 2008, 6:13pm) *

Oooh err Mrs. smile.gif

Sorry about that. Realized this after making this post, from something you later said. But at the time, thought you were a man, from something you had previously said. A man with an incredibly gay avatar. mellow.gif O.K. Well, moving right along....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.