Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simpsonopedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
dogbiscuit
Is a Simpsons "plot device" really encyclopedic?

At least they didn't manage to work willies into this article - yet.

So what is the most tenuous Simpsons link that you've found?
Rootology
It's a trivial little factoid for something that rarely if ever comes up in modern Western mainstream culture, the diorama. Whats the harm?

If someone ever googles that Simpsons episode, now, they may learn something about 19th century European theater.
Moulton
The main value of Wikipedia is that it is the world's most comprehensive compendium on popular culture.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sun 8th June 2008, 9:56pm) *

It's a trivial little factoid for something that rarely if ever comes up in modern Western mainstream culture, the diorama. Whats the harm?

If someone ever googles that Simpsons episode, now, they may learn something about 19th century European theater.

No, if someone googles Diorama (trying to check my crossword answers as it happens) I find out about the Simpsons, not the other way around.

What is the harm? I think that is exactly the thinking that goes on. However, Wikipedia has a policy that covers this - undue weight, and I might add, a little bit of OR too. So, the Simpsons use a word in an episode. Why should a mention in a Simpsons episode EVER be encyclopedic? Hey, tell you what, let's make sure that every "plot device" (aka mention) of Star Trek, Buffy, Ironside, Alias Smith and Jones, The Sound of Music, Simpsons, Family Guy, Indiana Jones, Blue Peter, all these touchstones of popular culture, let us unsure that each is properly represented on any article related. Hmm, there is an Indian character in Simpsons, let's make sure that the Simpsons gets mentioned in the article on India. (Ominous thought - haven't checked this...)

The problem is that this is rampant inclusionism. Someone notes that there is some tangential relationship of a subject with another, and thinks it is worthy to note that. Surely Wikipedians don't have to be so incontinent that they can't help pissing over any old article that they come across.

They used to say "Knowledge is power". No it appears "Knowledge is The Simpsons." And people wonder why the public are confused over global warming.
Moulton
The Simpsons did an episode on the LDS (Mormon) Faith. Is that mentioned in the article on the LDS Church?
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Sun 8th June 2008, 2:18pm) *

They used to say "Knowledge is power". No it appears "Knowledge is The Simpsons."

To be fair, we must acknowledge that this episode makes a significant contribution to the BLP debate.
The Joy
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 9th June 2008, 12:17am) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Sun 8th June 2008, 2:18pm) *

They used to say "Knowledge is power". No it appears "Knowledge is The Simpsons."

To be fair, we must acknowledge that this episode makes a significant contribution to the BLP debate.

Don't forget The Computer Wore Menace Shoes. Homer starts a web site spreading gossip and lies about people. Lisa tries to explain that putting lies that hurt people on the Internet is wrong, but Homer feels protected by his pseudonym "Mr. X."

And, of course, Snake the jailbird wanted his girlfriend to kill the Wikipedian messing with his bio. Wikipedia also nearly killed Sideshow Bob by overloading his laptop.

The quotes in my signature also come from a recent episode.

Sometimes I wonder if Matt Groening or someone who works on The Simpsons reads the Review! ohmy.gif
ThurstonHowell3rd
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Sun 8th June 2008, 1:43pm) *

It is a fact of high interest to the typical reader of the article.

Derktar
QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 8th June 2008, 10:07pm) *

Sometimes I wonder if Matt Groening or someone who works on The Simpsons reads the Review! ohmy.gif

Ah yes, I recognize that exchange, one of the good ones.

I also recognize a familiar quote from a very psychotic villain, one of my favorites in fact!
Moulton
QUOTE(Derktar @ Mon 9th June 2008, 1:40am) *
QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 8th June 2008, 10:07pm) *
Ah yes, I recognize that exchange, one of the good ones.

I also recognize a familiar quote from a very psychotic villain, one of my favorites in fact!

Not being much into popular culture I had to Google it up.

Is this the passage... ???

QUOTE(Final Fantasy VI)
"I will exterminate everyone and everything." (Kefka)
"People will keep rebuilding the things you take away from them! (Terra)
"Then I will destroy these too. Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever? Think how meaningless each of your lives is! (Kefka)
"It's not the net result of one's life that's important. It's the day to day concerns, the personal victories, and the celebration of life... and love! It's enough if people are able to experience the joy that each day can bring! (Terra)
"And have you found your 'joy', in this nearly dead world of ours? (Kefka)
"Yes. I know what love is...! (Terra)
"I have learnt to celebrate life... and the living. (Locke)
"My family lives on inside of me. (Cyan)
"It is my dream to build a kingdom in which I can guarantee freedom, and dignity. (Edgar)
"I have come to experience anew the love of my brother. (Sabin)
"I've met someone who can accept me for what I am. (Celes)

How does the villainous character of Kefka compare to my prototypical villain character, Gastrin Bombesin?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 8th June 2008, 9:30pm) *

The Simpsons did an episode on the LDS (Mormon) Faith. Is that mentioned in the article on the LDS Church?

The articles on Mormonism seem to be completely lacking an Pop Culture Reference sections. Even the Criticism of Mormonism lacks any sense of humor (unless you count the neutrality disputed tag) and certainly no pop culture refs, favorable or otherwise. Instead you just get stuff like this:

In 1982 the church presidency issued a proclamation saying "The First Presidency has interpreted oral sex as constituting an unnatural, impure, or unholy practice."[164]

And thus has god spoken. No, no, no, Mormons. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif Back to your jello. And leave it on the table!

dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 9th June 2008, 5:19pm) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 8th June 2008, 9:30pm) *

The articles on Mormonism seem to be completely lacking an Pop Culture Reference sections. Even the Criticism of Mormonism lacks any sense of humor (unless you count the neutrality disputed tag) and certainly no pop culture refs, favorable or otherwise. Instead you just get stuff like this:

In 1982 the church presidency issued a proclamation saying "The First Presidency has interpreted oral sex as constituting an unnatural, impure, or unholy practice."[164]

And thus has god spoken. No, no, no, Mormons. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif Back to your jello. And leave it on the table!

Ah, sex. QED.
ThurstonHowell3rd
I have been researching Vapor Lock and in the Wikipedia article the Simpsons appear again:

"In The Simpsons episode Bart Star while Bart is upset about his poor quarterback skills, Joe Namath's car breaks down nearby; Namath's wife reveals that the vehicle was merely immobilized due to vapor lock."
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Thu 19th June 2008, 3:32am) *

I have been researching Vapor Lock and in the Wikipedia article the Simpsons appear again:

"In The Simpsons episode Bart Star while Bart is upset about his poor quarterback skills, Joe Namath's car breaks down nearby; Namath's wife reveals that the vehicle was merely immobilized due to vapor lock."

That is also the classic example of the editors adapting to new rules. Some time ago was the Great Purge where Trivia Sections were considered undesirable. So now they have been renamed to Cultural References. With a gazzillion or so episodes of the Simpsons being made, I should guess that most items in the universe have been referenced.
michael
Someitmes popular culture sections can be interesting, other times they're like, "what the fuck is this for." I just finished reading Dental braces and they list every fictional character to have ever worn braces. I just stared at the screen and wondered, "Who in the fuck cares about this?!"
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th June 2008, 8:06am) *

That is also the classic example of the editors adapting to new rules. Some time ago was the Great Purge where Trivia Sections were considered undesirable. So now they have been renamed to Cultural References. With a gazzillion or so episodes of the Simpsons being made, I should guess that most items in the universe have been referenced.

...oh, and the Bewitched reference is really, really stretching it.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(michael @ Thu 19th June 2008, 7:08am) *

Someitmes popular culture sections can be interesting, other times they're like, "what the fuck is this for." I just finished reading Dental braces and they list every fictional character to have ever worn braces. I just stared at the screen and wondered, "Who in the fuck cares about this?!"

Of course there is not fix for this problem, because tastes and interests vary. I might have just the opposite reaction to the stuff you do, finding the interesting things dull and vice versa.

The only thing one can do is try not to be deletionist, but rather take material as it becomes more and more marginally related, and spin it off into {{main}} sub-articles which are essentially "Trivia sections" (whatever you wanted to call them) were essentially embedded lists. There's nothing wrong with a list, per se, if a list is what the information "wants" to naturally be. And there's nothing wrong with articles which are primarily lists (there are many of them). So if a list of marginally related stuff attempts to take over article space, just spin it off as a LIST article, and leave a ref in the See also section. But the interested reader should be left a trail of breadcrumbs. Somebody is going to want a compilation of any single cartoon episode where people wear braces. If somebody else did the work, we'd hate to waste it. I hate wasting any kind of information. That's one reason why I find an encyclopedia with no space limits so fascinating. smile.gif
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 19th June 2008, 8:30pm) *

QUOTE(michael @ Thu 19th June 2008, 7:08am) *

Of course there is not fix for this problem, because tastes and interests vary. I might have just the opposite reaction to the stuff you do, finding the interesting things dull and vice versa.

The only thing one can do is try not to be deletionist, but rather take material as it becomes more and more marginally related, and spin it off into {{main}} sub-articles which are essentially "Trivia sections" (whatever you wanted to call them) were essentially embedded lists. There's nothing wrong with a list, per se, if a list is what the information "wants" to naturally be. And there's nothing articles which are primarily lists. So if a list of marginally related stuff attempts to take over article space, just spin it off as a LIST article, and leave a ref in the See also section. But the interested reader should be left a trail of breadcrumbs. Somebody is going to want a compilation of any single cartoon episode where people wear braces. If somebody else did the work, we'd hate to waste it. I hate wasting any kind of information. That's one reason why I find an encyclopedia with no space limits so fascinating. smile.gif

I love my trivia, but it belittles the encyclopedic quality if every tangentially associated item gets stuffed into the article. I agree with the list principle - why not have a link to trivia about Pink (no Simpsons there yet - why isn't the weekly feature of the car mentioned - and I haven't checked Sofa. But it is rather unsettling that every article can be the target for this chiff chaff.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th June 2008, 12:09am) *

All the news that's fit to print. If I had an unbanned Wikipedia account, I would nominate Vapor Lock for Featured Article.
ThurstonHowell3rd
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th June 2008, 12:09am) *

I know, who cares about or watches Bewitched anymore.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Fri 20th June 2008, 12:30am) *

I know, who cares about or watches Bewitched anymore.

She was a babe though. Why she put up with that Darrin bloke is beyond me. Not that I would ever be unfaithful to Julie Andrews...
LaraLove
QUOTE(michael @ Thu 19th June 2008, 3:08am) *

That was utterly ridiculous. I removed all the crap. Such a list could never be complete and maintained. And like you say, who in the fuck cares about such a list? I guess we'll see if I get reverted. biggrin.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th June 2008, 10:12pm) *

I love my trivia, but it belittles the encyclopedic quality if every tangentially associated item gets stuffed into the article. I agree with the list principle - why not have a link to trivia about Pink (no Simpsons there yet - why isn't the weekly feature of the car mentioned - and I haven't checked Sofa. But it is rather unsettling that every article can be the target for this chiff chaff.

Well, you're describing my brain, there, so watch it.

In theory, you could construct an encyclopedia which could be read on the top levels as a Super General Encyclopedia, and as you follow the hyperlinks down, as a series of topical encyclopedias (Encyclopedia of 18th Century Ships, Encyclopedia of Wood Waterproofing Agents), and finally to Encyclopedias of Cultural References. Or even of Pieces of Knowledge Too Short to Use (by analogy with the dead miser's house found with a drawer labeled "Pieces of String Too Short to Use").

As you know, there's a major fight over what is Wikipedia's major proper role. It's CALLED an encyclopedia (with people assuming, without foundation, that this means, or should mean, general encyclopedia), but its size has quantitatively made it into something QUALITATIVELY different, although to be sure, if indexed properly, the General Encyclopedia is (ideally) still there, on top, as an index of indexes of indexes. A lot like some multivolume encyclopedias already have, as a one or two volume General Knowledge Summary. Except with Wikipedia, it's that way all the way down through a hundred levels.

Do we get upset about this? No, mostly we get annoyed when there's failure of indexing by relative importances, as when you're looking at the general article on Algebra and you come across some remark that Lisa Simpson mentions Algebra, in episode #621. So is the solution to simply remove this to the article on Simpson #621?

Well, maybe not quite, some of us suggest. Not only should a there be a way to get to Lisa Simpson's remark about Algebra by searching on Lisa Simpson, or Simpsons Episodes, but even a way to get to it by starting with the Algebra article, and clicking down through levels till you get to Late 20th Century US Pop Culture, TV References, Cartoon, Mentions of Algebra.

This is not so much vision of Wikipedia as standard encyclopedia, as it is of it as hypelinked database of all human knowledge, all of it passed the filter of human minds, and hyperlinked and indexed properly so that no fact (we're going to ignore privacy issues for the sake of simplicity) is more than 6 or 10 or 14 or (whatever) links/clicks from any other fact. What is that maximal magic number N? Interesting question, eh? Even if you take out all the WP:NOTS (which are, if you think about them, rather silly and irrelevent-- if you're going to DO this, you might as well go whole-hog).

Now, you might think the web and google is already something like this. But not really. Google is not intelligent. The links haven't been put in place by minds and many of them are missing, or wrong, or irrelavent. You have to understand things if you want to index them perfectly. The second thing is that Google results may be somewhat hyperlinked, but the levels of links are not comparable but represent only the heavily traveled trails in a 3-D (or N-dimentional) web of random knowledge. Here the number of clicks to get from one piece of web knowledge to another, without having to go back through Google, might be in the hundreds. Or like the old joke, you might not even be able to get "there" from "here."

So the WikiWikiWeb (nevermind Wikipedia per se-- it's just a good example of a WikiWikiWeb), is a new type of computer database. It's been assembed by minds, not computers. It is not limited in size. And it's hyperlinked at all levels up and down. Not perfectly-- maybe not even well. But getting better. And interesting for its own sake.

M.
Jon Awbrey
Mod Squad Alert !!!
Mod Squad Alert !!!

This is my Urgent Call to scramble the Stealth Helicopters of the Wikipede Revue Δ Farce and extract Milton Roe from the Dark Satsangic Meals of that Wiki-Φeastly Ashram where no doubt ~Jossi~ and his bitten hard disciples are holding Our Entripid Captain Night Sea Journey, Retired, hopelessly e-thralled in asymptotically witless throes of Wiki-Wuau-Wub.

Mushi, Mushi, Time Is Detumessen !!!

Jon cool.gif

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 19th June 2008, 8:44pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th June 2008, 10:12pm) *

I love my trivia, but it belittles the encyclopedic quality if every tangentially associated item gets stuffed into the article. I agree with the list principle — why not have a link to trivia about Pink (no Simpsons there yet — why isn't the weekly feature of the car mentioned — and I haven't checked Sofa. But it is rather unsettling that every article can be the target for this chiff chaff.

Well, you're describing my brain, there, so watch it.

In theory, you could construct an encyclopedia which could be read on the top levels as a Super General Encyclopedia, and as you follow the hyperlinks down, as a series of topical encyclopedias (Encyclopedia of 18th Century Ships, Encyclopedia of Wood Waterproofing Agents), and finally to Encyclopedias of Cultural References. Or even of Pieces of Knowledge Too Short to Use (by analogy with the dead miser's house found with a drawer labeled "Pieces of String Too Short to Use").

As you know, there's a major fight over what is Wikipedia's major proper role. It's CALLED an encyclopedia (with people assuming, without foundation, that this means, or should mean, general encyclopedia), but its size has quantitatively made it into something QUALITATIVELY different, although to be sure, if indexed properly, the General Encyclopedia is (ideally) still there, on top, as an index of indexes of indexes. A lot like some multivolume encyclopedias already have, as a one or two volume General Knowledge Summary. Except with Wikipedia, it's that way all the way down through a hundred levels.

Do we get upset about this? No, mostly we get annoyed when there's failure of indexing by relative importances, as when you're looking at the general article on Algebra and you come across some remark that Lisa Simpson mentions Algebra, in episode #621. So is the solution to simply remove this to the article on Simpson #621?

Well, maybe not quite, some of us suggest. Not only should a there be a way to get to Lisa Simpson's remark about Algebra by searching on Lisa Simpson, or Simpsons Episodes, but even a way to get to it by starting with the Algebra article, and clicking down through levels till you get to Late 20th Century US Pop Culture, TV References, Cartoon, Mentions of Algebra.

This is not so much vision of Wikipedia as standard encyclopedia, as it is of it as hypelinked database of all human knowledge, all of it passed the filter of human minds, and hyperlinked and indexed properly so that no fact (we're going to ignore privacy issues for the sake of simplicity) is more than 6 or 10 or 14 or (whatever) links/clicks from any other fact. What is that maximal magic number N? Interesting question, eh? Even if you take out all the WP:NOTS (which are, if you think about them, rather silly and irrelevent — if you're going to DO this, you might as well go whole-hog).

Now, you might think the web and google is already something like this. But not really. Google is not intelligent. The links haven't been put in place by minds and many of them are missing, or wrong, or irrelavent. You have to understand things if you want to index them perfectly. The second thing is that Google results may be somewhat hyperlinked, but the levels of links are not comparable but represent only the heavily traveled trails in a 3-D (or N-dimentional) web of random knowledge. Here the number of clicks to get from one piece of web knowledge to another, without having to go back through Google, might be in the hundreds. Or like the old joke, you might not even be able to get "there" from "here".

So the WikiWikiWeb (nevermind Wikipedia per se — it's just a good example of a WikiWikiWeb), is a new type of computer database. It's been assembed by minds, not computers. It is not limited in size. And it's hyperlinked at all levels up and down. Not perfectly — maybe not even well. But getting better. And interesting for its own sake.

M.

The Joy
What is an encyclopedia? And by that I mean a professional encyclopedia like Brittanica? What makes a professional encyclopedia?

If Wikipedia were a compendium of trivia or a "popular encyclopedia" like The Simpsons Encyclopedia and it marketed itself that way, I doubt the Review would even exist and there would be no outcries among academics as it would be easy to explain to the public and students that Wikipedia is just another web site out there where you have to vet the information and its source to see if it is indeed a worthwhile resource. Given that articles on Quantum Physics can be written by User:SquirrellyNuts or User:CautiousCactus while psychotic anonymity results in dramatic battles, mediocre products and fragile alliances dominated by blood-thirsty personalities, I would say that Wikipedia does not have the right to call itself a professional encyclopedia in the league of Brittanica or World Book.

The use of popular trivia on a serious subject detracts from the subject itself and just proves my point above that Wikipedia does not take itself seriously as a "professional encyclopedia" and would have to make serious reforms (and I mean downright "radical" in the Wikipedian-sense) to be able to call itself a professional encyclopedia without WRers and academics losing their lunch at the thought.

The Joy

P.S. Well, look at this.
Herschelkrustofsky
There is a short-lived but education pop-culture reference here (hint-- look for the image.)
LamontStormstar

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=218029327

Sceptre didn't like it.

If it's not sex, it's Simpsons!

Well they don't have an article on the internet phenominon about the simpsons. "Get out bart, I'm piss"
Sceptre
One of my main problems with Simpsons articles is that they're horribly short. The average size of an episode article is about 32kb. Some episode FAs are bigger: Through the Looking Glass (Lost) and Trapped in the Closet (South Park) edge on 50kb, and The Stolen Earth (which I'm taking to FAC after it's copyedited) is around 42kb. Simpsons FAs are around 17kb. I've written good articles longer than that. Are they really as "comprehensive" as the featured article criteria dictate?
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(Sceptre @ Sat 5th July 2008, 7:24am) *

One of my main problems with Simpsons articles is that they're horribly short. The average size of an episode article is about 32kb. Some episode FAs are bigger: Through the Looking Glass (Lost) and Trapped in the Closet (South Park) edge on 50kb, and The Stolen Earth (which I'm taking to FAC after it's copyedited) is around 42kb. Simpsons FAs are around 17kb. I've written good articles longer than that. Are they really as "comprehensive" as the featured article criteria dictate?

Good question. A quick review of the Reception section in "[[You Only Move Twice]]" is only two paragraphs long, which includes commentary from the writers of the show themselves. Were there really only four critics who reviewed this episode? We only see "rave"-style reviews for this episode. It just doesn't seem comprehensive to me, and the entire article, with footnotes, is only... 16kb!
Sceptre
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Sat 5th July 2008, 8:32pm) *

QUOTE(Sceptre @ Sat 5th July 2008, 7:24am) *

Good question. A quick review of the Reception section in "[[You Only Move Twice]]" is only two paragraphs long, which includes commentary from the writers of the show themselves. Were there really only four critics who reviewed this episode? We only see "rave"-style reviews for this episode. It just doesn't seem comprehensive to me, and the entire article, with footnotes, is only... 16kb!

There may have been more, but getting access to them would be hard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.