Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How far back for checks?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pigeon
Does anyone know how far back, if someone lodges a complaint, can an admin check the login and IP history of a suspected sockpuppet and sockpuppeteer? 12 months? 6 months? 1 month? ??Thanks..
gomi
At least two months, possibly three. Account creation details are kept forever.
Pigeon
QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 11th June 2008, 4:57pm) *

Thanks.

dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Pigeon @ Wed 11th June 2008, 8:10am) *

Thanks.

By the way, welcome to Wikipedia Review!

I guess that means you can stop worrying about your socks being discovered laugh.gif
Pigeon
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 11th June 2008, 6:22pm) *

Thanks.

I guess that means you can stop worrying about your socks being discovered :lol:

Haha no, I believe that an admin has been using socks on the side but I need to be 100% sure myself.
guy
It's not just edits that are logged but anything that goes into the log files, such as image uploads and page moves. I would guess that admin actions such as blocks and page deletions are too, but I don't know.
Giggy
QUOTE(Pigeon @ Wed 11th June 2008, 6:32pm) *

Thanks.

I guess that means you can stop worrying about your socks being discovered laugh.gif

Haha no, I believe that an admin has been using socks on the side but I need to be 100% sure myself.

A word of advice. Be at least 110% sure.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Giggy @ Wed 11th June 2008, 9:50am) *

QUOTE(Pigeon @ Wed 11th June 2008, 6:32pm) *

Thanks.

A word of advice. Be at least 110% sure.

...as if being right makes a difference?
Yehudi
The other point is that if someone performs a checkuser, he (usually he except for Alison, isn't it?) can keep the results indefinitely to compare with his or others' later checks. I believe that on WQ they've agreed to delete all such stuff after a year, but I don't suppose there's such a policy on WP.
Alison
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Wed 11th June 2008, 4:35am) *

The other point is that if someone performs a checkuser, he (usually he except for Alison, isn't it?) can keep the results indefinitely to compare with his or others' later checks. I believe that on WQ they've agreed to delete all such stuff after a year, but I don't suppose there's such a policy on WP.

Umm ... there's Becca and FloNight, too smile.gif And yes, it goes without saying that checkusers can and do keep data from checks privately. WP doesn't have a policy on such matters & maybe it should. Of course, it would have to be on a trusted basis (and how many enwiki checkusers do you trust? biggrin.gif )
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(Pigeon @ Tue 10th June 2008, 10:07pm) *

Does anyone know how far back, if someone lodges a complaint, can an admin check the login and IP history of a suspected sockpuppet and sockpuppeteer? 12 months? 6 months? 1 month? ??Thanks..

Checkusers can do this. The checkuser function uses the raw server logs, which are kept for about a month. However, if this person showed up in an older checkuser run, and the person performing the check user saves the results then you might be able to go further back.

Nothing wrong with using socks - I'm sure most admins do. Using socks abusively is another matter.
gomi
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Wed 11th June 2008, 8:35am) *
Checkusers can do this. The checkuser function uses the raw server logs, which are kept for about a month.

No, at least two months at the moment. Wikimedia Foundation can't produce en.wp backups reliably, but they keep the logs!!
guy
QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 11th June 2008, 5:58pm) *

No, at least two months at the moment. Wikimedia Foundation can't produce en.wp backups reliably, but they keep the logs!!

Definitely three months on two of the smaller wikis, according to a very well-placed source. Maybe it's less on English Wikipedia due to the huge volume of data.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.