Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legilimency, Occlumency, Orthogonality
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jon Awbrey

Whaaa th' ???

Jon cool.gif
Derktar
Blocked as a vandalism-only account, but I don't see vandalism edits. Clever use of user contribs though I must say.
Cobalt
Amusing.
thekohser
Some of those articles are protected, so this beat poet had to wait to accumulate ten edits before hitting the protected articles, no? Quite the artiste!

Greg
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 12:35pm) *

Some of those articles are protected, so this beat poet had to wait to accumulate ten edits before hitting the protected articles, no? Quite the artiste!

Greg

I thought it was only a 4-day waiting period on this particular Weapon Of Mind Destruction?

Jon cool.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 12:39pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 12:35pm) *

Greg

I thought it was only a 4-day waiting period on this particular Weapon Of Mind Destruction?

Jon cool.gif

I think it's 4 days PLUS 10 edits on unprotected articles (or is it spaces)? Someone with a mop -- inform us!

Surely, this must be the first case of using the contributions history to deliver a message, right? It's really quite creative.

Greg
KamrynMatika
{{sockpuppet|Wikipedia Review}}
{{sockpuppet|Jon Awbrey}}

Well, which is it Raul?
thekohser
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Thu 26th June 2008, 5:49pm) *

Well, which is it Raul?

If you look at WP:NPA, it says:

This page in a nutshell: Comment on content, not on the contributor.

I'm still having trouble seeing the "content" of this editor's work that warranted a block. As for the labeling of the contributor as one or the other of Jon or me, well... That's nothing new. Wikipediots like Krimpet and Jpgordon have been doing it for months (or is it years now, Jon?).

Mark Raul P. is severely overweight, and I imagine that brings anxiety and stress to his life. He lashes out at others to make himself feel better about his situation, I surmise. He once completely botched a policy about the Reward Board, inspiring him to label me "being a fool or a liar". When it was pointed out to him how wrong he was about the policy issue, he admitted error but still elected not to apologize for his "personal attack" on me as a person. That still stood, with or without a correct premise.

He's really, really overweight. Like 140 pounds of excess flubb, sources have told me. Imagine devouring ten bowling balls and not ever passing them out of your system. Just carrying those ten bowling balls around with you, every single day of your life. Really, think about that. It's actually astounding that he's not even more angry and haphazard with his personal attacks.
Jon Awbrey

Well, which is it Raul?

It's Wikipedia —

The Truth Is Immaterial …

You Might Even Call It SlimVirtual.

What Matters Is Controlling The Medium.

Jon cool.gif
thekohser
Others in the Hive dutifully carry out the hive repair functions that they have been taught (some from ages as young as 11 or 12, I understand) to perform.

Example.
Example.
Example.
Excellent example.
Silly example. Silly cavalry.
Example of someone who prefers overloaded disambiguations.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 26th June 2008, 11:30pm) *

Others in the Hive dutifully carry out the hive repair functions that they have been taught (some from ages as young as 11 or 12, I understand) to perform.

Not 2 Worry.

Any edit worth keeping can always be recreated later, ab initio, by a Memewhore In Good Standing — y'know, when no one is looking.

Jon cool.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 27th June 2008, 3:15am) *

Well, which is it Raul?

I'm still having trouble seeing the "content" of this editor's work that warranted a block. As for the labeling of the contributor as one or the other of Jon or me, well... That's nothing new. Wikipediots like Krimpet and Jpgordon have been doing it for months (or is it years now, Jon?).

Oh, yes. Jon has been prattling on Freenode lately (and not for the first time), causing consternation for Krimpet, who still thinks that Jon and Greg are pals, or socks. laugh.gif As does, let me see, Jpgordon. Who is not, repeat not, part of the Jewish Power-Cabal on WP because there is no such thing. And as for Krimpet, Ms. Rogers, well, we don't know what her ethnicity is.

But in any case, Mr. Man in Black, if you're convinced the whole WP thing is shit, and certainly not a community, what are you doing baiting people on its freenode discussions, under pseudonyms? Weren't you making fun of me some time ago for adding good content to articles which will outlive WP, for the sake of my own artistic pleasure? So what pleasure do you get in this kind of thing (IRC baiting), which is morally-ethically-intellectually, pragmatically, educationally, in any way whatsoever, superior to what I do on WP? Eh? Hypocrite! tongue.gif

BTW, Krimpet shows up on WP, fully-formed, on Jan 2, 2007, making complex revisions to WP the next day, and claims in her RfA in April that she's only been a Wikipedian for about 3 months. But her first edit Jan 3 is pretty complex, as noted. Sock-like complex. Duck-like complex. So, did she come rightously from COMMONS and forgot to mention this? Or is she really a sock of a previous WP identity?

BTW, Krimpet a fellow computer wonk apparently, knows Raul, and knows he's at the University of Delaware, and checkusers (or perhaps just uses IPwhois) on the fly that Cache is posting from there, also. Great game, eh?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 27th June 2008, 5:54am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 27th June 2008, 3:15am) *

Well, which is it Raul?

I'm still having trouble seeing the "content" of this editor's work that warranted a block. As for the labeling of the contributor as one or the other of Jon or me, well … That's nothing new. Wikipediots like Krimpet and Jpgordon have been doing it for months (or is it years now, Jon?).

Oh, yes. Jon has been prattling on Freenode lately (and not for the first time), causing consternation for Krimpet, who still thinks that Jon and Greg are pals, or socks. laugh.gif As does, let me see, Jpgordon. Who is not, repeat not, part of the Jewish Power-Cabal on WP because there is no such thing. And as for Krimpet, Ms. Rogers, well, we don't know what her ethnicity is.

But in any case, Mr. Man in Black, if you're convinced the whole WP thing is shit, and certainly not a community, what are you doing baiting people on its freenode discussions, under pseudonyms? Weren't you making fun of me some time ago for adding good content to articles which will outlive WP, for the sake of my own artistic pleasure? So what pleasure do you get in this kind of thing (IRC baiting), which is morally-ethically-intellectually, pragmatically, educationally, in any way whatsoever, superior to what I do on WP? Eh? Hypocrite! tongue.gif

BTW, Krimpet shows up on WP, fully-formed, on Jan 2, 2007, making complex revisions to WP the next day, and claims in her RfA in April that she's only been a Wikipedian for about 3 months. But her first edit Jan 3 is pretty complex, as noted. Sock-like complex. Duck-like complex. So, did she come rightously from COMMONS and forgot to mention this? Or is she really a sock of a previous WP identity?

BTW, Krimpet a fellow computer wonk apparently, knows Raul, and knows he's at the University of Delaware, and checkusers (or perhaps just uses IPwhois) on the fly that Cache is posting from there, also. Great game, eh?

Get Sirius —

You've obversely been been conned — it's just a part of the Sub, Moron — by yet another e-pisode of Black vs. Black.

Go get 'em, Kramer …

Jon cool.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 27th June 2008, 11:47am) *

Get Sirius —

You've obversely been been conned — it's just a part of the Sub, Moron — by yet another e-pisode of Black vs. Black.

Go get 'em, Kramer …

Jon cool.gif

I'm serious. You're not serious. That's fine. Be that way. tongue.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 27th June 2008, 5:54am) *

Wait, are you suggesting that Jon Awbrey was at the University of Delaware (GO HENS!) and he didn't even give me a jingle, living only 40 minutes away, in a similar way?

Jon, you suck!

Greg
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 5:45pm) *

Okay, somebody has actually invented a new form of vandal-only-account "vandalism" (acid commentary) . I give it 10/10 for cleverness. This had to be done in reverse, and with each edit not drawing attention to itself. Very good.
thekohser
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 29th June 2008, 5:41pm) *

Okay, somebody has actually invented a new form of vandal-only-account "vandalism" (acid commentary) . I give it 10/10 for cleverness. This had to be done in reverse, and with each edit not drawing attention to itself. Very good.

You're only just now catching on to it, Uncle Milty?
Proabivouac

That's hilarious. Well-done.
thekohser
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 3:11pm) *

That's hilarious. Well-done.

At 330 views for the second half of the month, it's a very popular User Contribution page, too. I thought they were supposed to WP:DENY the glorification of vandalism through infamy, since it encourages Internet memes through reinforcement, where users imitate notorious or unique vandalism methods for amusement, to share in the infamy, or for the thrill of defying authority and/or the perception of destroying other users' work.

A can't wait to see the first copy-cat poetry. Jon, do you mind if I copy your original idea and try some of this Contribution artform, or -- wait -- will you be copying my original idea? wacko.gif

Greg
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 10:03pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 29th June 2008, 5:41pm) *

You're only just now catching on to it, Uncle Milty?

I have to admit that I am. You learn something new every day.

And, "golly," (as the country boy said on his first day in college), "there sure are a lot of things tah know!"

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 30th June 2008, 3:40pm) *

I can't wait to see the first copy-cat poetry. Jon, do you mind if I copy your original idea and try some of this Contribution artform, or … wait … will you be copying my original idea? wacko.gif

Greg

Although this style of transverse wikipoesy is vaguely reminiscent of a channeling technique that I first tried out on WikiAbuse.Com — alas! now lost to e-zone depletion — I can honestly say that I have not edited Wikipedia in at least a couple of months. Will that ease the way to proper attribution? Experience tells me, "Not Bluddy Likely!"

Jon cool.gif
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 27th June 2008, 9:54am) *

That's right. Most administrators are, by this time, socks of previous identities. Krimpet is no exception.
KamrynMatika
Yeah, Krimpet couldn't be any more obvious as a sock (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&dir=prev&target=Krimpet&month=&year=):

One thing that has personally kind of irked me is sections in articles usually called "Cultural References", "In popular culture" or "Trivia" that do nothing but list references to that topic in TV shows, movies, video games, etc.

I call it the "Family Guy Effect". Now, I'm not against the show Family Guy, but with the huge amounts of cultural references the show makes it is the best demonstration of what I am talking about. Check out Special:Whatlinkshere/Family_Guy and you will see examples of what I mean: the link will almost always be in a section called "Cultural References" or "Trivia", and be along the lines of "In episode 12345 of the cartoon Family Guy...". Family Guy is by no means the only offender here though, other TV shows like South Park and the Simpsons often pop up in the same manner, as well as movies. Another common sight in these sections is songs that mention the topic, invariably in the format of "(artist) mentions (subject) in their song (song), on their album (album)". These can range from very notable, huge hits by popular bands, to songs by artists so obscure and non-notable that they don't even have their own articles.

Now, I am not completely against these "cultural references" lists. Rather, I think they are being put in the wrong place. Almost always, the article for the movie/album/TV show making the reference will already have its own list of cultural references in said movie/album/TV show. Going back to the example of Family Guy, each Family Guy episode already has its own article with a comprehensive list of everything satirized in that episode. Why duplicate the exact same information in this article in the article for the subject being referred to?

These sections can grow to become an enormous mess. Check out KFC#Cultural_references. The section is huge, with references to TV shows and movies, some of which don't even have links to articles on said shows/movies. It heavily detracts from the professionalism of the article. If someone really, really wanted to know what movies and TV shows made cultural references to KFC, they could just click "What links here" and get an even more comprehensive list.

I have found discussions that seem to indicate that other Wikipedia editors are against these sections as well, but have not been able to find an official policy either for or against them. However I think it can be argued that the sections violate parts of WP:NOT, particularly "Wikipedia is not a directory" and "Wikipedia is not an indiscriminate collection of information". Does Wikipedia have an official policy on these kinds of sections in articles? If not, I think it would be helpful if one were developed. Krimpet 23:06, 2 January 2007 (UTC)

What kind of newbie makes a first edit like that? Let me guess. "I've been editing as an IP for a long time". rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.