Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: User blocked as sockpuppet of myself; not me
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Looch
This happens so many times WITH me finding out. I can't imagine how many people have been blocked as sockpuppets of myself who AREN'T actually me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...Team4D%E2%80%8E
Janron
QUOTE(Looch @ Tue 24th June 2008, 10:11pm) *

This happens so many times WITH me finding out. I can't imagine how many people have been blocked as sockpuppets of myself who AREN'T actually me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...Team4D%E2%80%8E

So, I got blocked for impersonating an administrator because I used part of my first and last names. It seems it was too similar to an admin whom I never knew or saw before. When I made a fuss about it, and asked why did the software let me create the account in the first place, as if I'm supposed to know everyone's user ID -- They then changed the reason for being blocked because I was a sockpuppet of a dead person. (A very dear friend of mine. I do have her computer now, so she lives on in some way through me. `)) Even after I emailed other admins to let them know she had died. She was ill for a while. Many knew of her illness, I found out later.

The sockpuppet allegation was confirmed by FT2 even after I emailed him telling him she had died, who then had the nerve to ask me for my name, address, place of employment, and phone number.

Now I'm pissed again, and sad too.

Edit to clarify, I did not have her computer at the time I was blocked. But did have the same ISP, and live in the same city.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Iamlost @ Tue 24th June 2008, 10:41pm) *

QUOTE(Looch @ Tue 24th June 2008, 10:11pm) *

Special:Log&type=block&page=User:Team4D%E2%80%8E

So, I got blocked for impersonating an administrator because I used part of my first and last names. It seems it was too similar to an admin whom I never knew or saw before. When I made a fuss about it, and asked why did the software let me create the account in the first place, as if I'm supposed to know everyone's user ID — They then changed the reason for being blocked because I was a sockpuppet of a dead person. (A very dear friend of mine. I do have her computer now, so she lives on in some way through me.) Even after I emailed other admins to let them know she had died. She was ill for a while. Many knew of her illness, I found out later.

The sockpuppet allegation was confirmed by FT2 even after I emailed him telling him she had died, who then had the nerve to ask me for my name, address, place of employment, and phone number.

Now I'm pissed again, and sad too.

Because Identity is THE most important thing to them.

Jon cool.gif
guy
QUOTE(Looch @ Wed 25th June 2008, 3:11am) *

I can't imagine how many people have been blocked as sockpuppets of myself who AREN'T actually me.

This is the official list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiki...uppets_of_JB196

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&from=LTaylorWM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Susp...uppets_of_JB196

There seem to be nearly 400 confirmed ones and 150 suspected ones.

Dzonatas
QUOTE(guy @ Wed 25th June 2008, 2:09am) *

QUOTE(Looch @ Wed 25th June 2008, 3:11am) *

I can't imagine how many people have been blocked as sockpuppets of myself who AREN'T actually me.

This is the official list...

That is a lot. I noticed the talk on Alison's page, and wondered what it was about. When I saw it was a SirFozzie and Durova show, that confirmed my doubts of the enumeration.

SirFozzie
*chuckles*

Actually, JB is responsible for a vast majority of the socks on his list. 99% of the ones who WEREN'T him were the ones picked up during the sweeps of the Open Proxies that JB was using to get around his ban.

Also, please note: I wasn't the one who identfied the one BEFORE JB's current one (appreciate the shout out, JB *chuckles*) as JB, that was someone else, I just brought it up for checkuser purposes.

EDIT: Looking at Team4D's contribs, not sure why the previous person thought it was you, JB.. it lacked your style.
Looch
I messed up on my original post.

It should have said:

This happens so many times WITH me finding out. I can't imagine how many people have been blocked as sockpuppets of myself who AREN'T actually me that I don't know about.

Fozzie - It could be argued that it is better to let 10 users who deserve to be banned not be banned than it is to ban one innocent person (i.e. Burntsauce, who was banned as a sockpuppet of me multiple times).
Alison
QUOTE(Looch @ Wed 25th June 2008, 10:32pm) *

I messed up on my original post.

It should have said:

This happens so many times WITH me finding out. I can't imagine how many people have been blocked as sockpuppets of myself who AREN'T actually me that I don't know about.

Fozzie - It could be argued that it is better to let 10 users who deserve to be banned not be banned than it is to ban one innocent person (i.e. Burntsauce, who was banned as a sockpuppet of me multiple times).

Hey Looch. Was wondering where you'd got to smile.gif

And yeah, that thread on my talk page. Something didn't fit right at all and I had to ask again and again. Myself and Foz seem to be in agreement with you on Team4D and, to be honest, I believe you. You've been shown to be right on that stuff before. I'm going to followup with Blueboy96, the blocking admin, and see if I can find out what the deal is. Missed it the first time around.

And in fairness, Looch, you'll prolly agree that Foz and I blocked more of your socks than anyone else likely did biggrin.gif
Moulton
Nertz???

QUOTE(Alison @ Thu 26th June 2008, 1:51am) *
I'm going to followup with Blueboy96, the blocking admin, and see if I can find out what the deal is.

Yes.

Please do follow up with Blueboy96 and see what the deal is.

Before I play my next hand, I need to know the name of this card's game, and which Joker is the wilder one.
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 26th June 2008, 4:21am) *

I'm going to followup with Blueboy96, the blocking admin, and see if I can find out what the deal is.

Yes.

That does make a difference (in your blog link). I'm wondering if some of what was removed should actually be oversighted at some point.

Your page, Moulton, shows more kindness than mine.

Moulton
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Thu 26th June 2008, 11:32am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 26th June 2008, 4:21am) *

Yes.

That does make a difference (in your blog link). I'm wondering if some of what was removed should actually be oversighted at some point.

Your page, Moulton, shows more kindness than mine.

There is nothing I had posted in my userspace that needs to be redacted or oversighted. Notwithstanding the knee-jerk reactions of Blueboy96, Dave Souza, FeloniousMonk, and Toddst1, everything I posted there was already posted elsewhere on the English Wikipedia without redaction.
Dzonatas
There were posts by others on your page, and those are what I meant.

On my page, I got people calling me names. =(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.