Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Statement on my block
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Peter Damian
I have placed a statement on my block on my talk page here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Hin...ent_on_my_block

On 27 June I was asked by Thatcher to help deal with pro-paedo bias in historical articles.

I read your post on WR. I have just dealt with a rampant sockpuppeteer User:Burrburr and friends, whose main activity is to remove such pro-pedo edits from dead historical figures. I suspect he was correct on substance but the abusive sockpuppetry (80+ accounts) was unacceptable. It would be a good thing for a knowledgeable, non-sockpuppet using editor to perform the same sort of review, as long as it is done civilly etc. The pro-pedos will find it much harder to revert someone of relatively higher status (most of Burrburr's accounts edited for only a day or two, so it was easy to label them as vandals or "single purpose accounts" and deprecate their edits). This is, of course, harder to do with an established named editor. Thatcher 15:53, 27 June 2008 (UTC)

For example, it was being claimed with very little properly sourced evidence that Jules Verne was a paedophile. I did so with the help of an editor called Phdarts whose contributions I looked at and judged worthwhile. I made a considerble number of edits to the

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...rget=Hinnibilis

Most of the corrections were to absurd, ungrammatical or plain incorrect claims. Some of my comments:

"rm politics reference - wrong chapter and is misquoted anyway"
"rm absurdly general and unverifiable statement"
"rm original research"
in which I was helped by PhDarts. There was no opposition at all from the pro-paedo editors.

Then I caught this edit to Haiduc's page

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=221444762

"Like you, I am much pressed for time, though I think that matters have gone beyond personal intervention - however well-authenticated - and now demand third-party intervention (as before). "

This 'third party intervention' was not long in coming. Phdart's account has been blocked for sockpuppeteering. He was, as I suspected, a reincarnation of the banned Headleydown, but I did not have a problem with that. He was editing under my supervision, and had made many strong contributions to the encyclopedia under other accounts. (FT2 has pointed to some abusive edits he has made, but haven't we all).

I complained bitterly on FT2's talk page and have also contributed to a thread on paedophilia subjects to the Wikipedia Review. I did not accuse FT2 of being pro-paedophile, I said that he was 'in effect' enabling the pro-paedophile lobby on Wikipedia. I do not see how editors with expert knowledge of this subject area can possibly continue to work under these conditions.

I see that my edits have apparently been reverted wholesale. Hinnibilis (talk) 18:44, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Hinnibilis"
Peter Damian
I see this is being discussed here

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...8717#Bad_Blocks

But under what strange assumption have I been 'harassing' another user? I accused FT2 of 'in effect' enabling pro-paedophile editors by blocking me and about the only other person prepared to put an end to nonsense claims like 'Jules Verne was a paedophile'. Yes, true. Another set of organisations I am contacting is the many Jules Verne societies. Oops but is that a 'legal threat'? Let's see.
Peter Damian
Perhaps the people discussing this on ANI could have the decency to refer to the Hinnibilis talk page (I see Ryan is looking at this).

Naerii has spotted finally that "stating what the effect of an action will be is different to stating what the intent of an action was. Peter was stating the former, not that latter. His comments on WR are irrelevant; I don't like them but they are not actionable onwiki. Naerii 20:38, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

Quite.

Naerii, for what it is worth, please see Wikipedia:Harass#Off-wiki_harassment -- Avi (talk) 20:41, 29 June 2008 (UTC)
Bah, some of our policies are so full of shit.. are we going to start blocking people for what they've said on IRC now? Or in any other forum for that matter? Criticising people (whether the criticism is justified or not) off Wikipedia should be completely irrelevant to whether you get blocked or not on Wikipedia - it is rather ridiculous to suggest that we can control what people say on other areas of the internet. Naerii 20:44, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

Which of the comments I made in Wikipedia Review actually are harrassment? I am only discussing it here because of the extreme difficulty of doing it on-wiki. Note there have been some pretty vicious attacks here: not by me.

Squeakbox: "I would support unblocking after say 24 hours and an edit restriction to keep away from FT2, indef blocking is not going to be helpful to anybody, let alone dealing with any issues re editing of pedophilia/pederastry articles. Thanks, SqueakBox 20:47, 29 June 2008 (UTC) "

Seems reasonable, but I always have stayed away since agreement with Arbcom. This recent episode was prompted by FT2's block of an editor who helped me with some good contributions to the Pederasty article.

[edit] The other thing people are completely missing (mainly because Arbcom have never told them) is what was discussed at Arbcom, and why I was unblocked in May. Has anyone asked themselves this? I left Flo Night and the rest with some extremely embarassing issues, with they have to admit are true.

As part of this, I agreed to keep secret those discussions, and I have, and Arbcom agreed to unblock. I'm satisfied with that, or was until now. This block reneges on that agreement.
Jon Awbrey
Someone should call out the EFF on these guys.

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
You obviously aren't aware of what Peter's real beef is will FT2, and the problems that got him blocked first time round so I'll elaborate here. Since December, Peter has been promoting his ideas that FT2 has been having sex with animals (zoophilia) simply because of his editing habits. His original block was because he was going to take his case to animal welfare authorities. Instead of doing this, he's turned his attention to making these baseless accusations on WR - that's serious harassment and when you look at the scope of all his posts, they just about always revolve around FT2 somewhat. Ryan Postlethwaite 20:50, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

Complete and utter misrepresentation. The accusation was that FT2 was making slanted edits to the Zoophilia article. When asked to provide diffs, I did so, and the diffs were oversighted.

The discussions with Arbcom (these as far as I know did not include FT2) closely involved those oversights. More I cannot say. Postlethwaite is in breach of confidential matters that I cannot disclose for my part, and constitute a gross conflict of interest.
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th June 2008, 1:52pm) *

Only if it is in good faith.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sun 29th June 2008, 10:05pm) *

Look stop the jokes could someone have the decency please to comment on ANI and refer the discussion to my talk page - it is quite preposterous what Ryan is saying. I have always been very careful when posting on WR to make clear the distinction between the practice of whatever, and the promotion of whatever. My original beef with FT2 concerned NPOV and tag-teaming and nothing else. Please someone have the decency to stop this. Please.

If there is support for leniency on this block, based on the fact that the user in question makes constructive edits outside this area, I'd propose a 6 month block and two community restrictions: restriction to a single account, and a permanent ban on edits directed towards or about FT2. Avruch 21:09, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

NO way: let's get the facts straight first. Can someone get me a lawyer? Is there any right of reply or anything here?

Here is the Hinnibilis talk page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Hinnibilis

Can we just address some of the issues raised there?

For all this interested, [[Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/IncidentArchive338#User:Dbuckner here] is the discussion on the original account block. Ryan Postlethwaite 21:12, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for letting us all know my real name. This was the actual reason I changed accounts

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th June 2008, 5:10pm) *

QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sun 29th June 2008, 10:05pm) *

Look stop the jokes could someone have the decency please to comment on ANI and refer the discussion to my talk page — it is quite preposterous what Ryan is saying. I have always been very careful when posting on WR to make clear the distinction between the practice of whatever, and the promotion of whatever. My original beef with FT2 concerned NPOV and tag-teaming and nothing else. Please someone have the decency to stop this. Please.

But, Demian, you are the biggest joke of all.

Why don't you stop yourself?

Then we'll stop laughing.

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th June 2008, 10:14pm) *

Jon cool.gif

You think I'm a joke because I am a heretic. You are an atheist.

I would support this too. PD really needs to leave FT2 alone, regardless of the merit or lack thereof. ++Lar: t/c 21:15, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

And so I left him alone. Then he makes this block against someone who is helping me clean up an article that desperately needs attention - specific request of Thatcher. That was too much. I don't buy the HeadleyDown crap.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th June 2008, 5:17pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th June 2008, 10:14pm) *

Jon cool.gif

You think I'm a joke because I am a heretic. You are an atheist.

I think yer a laff riot 'cause you come here time after time saying, "Oh wow, it really hurts when I pee on that electric fence." So, we elect to play the strait guy, 'cause we really love that part, and we say, all innocent like, "Well, don't do that." And so you say, "But, no, I mean it really, really hurts when I pee on that electric fence."

How funny is that?

Pretty damn, sez I.

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
Why don't we just have an Arbitration committee hearing, in public, on the whole matter. That, in effect, was what we agreed to drop in May, when I return. Don't tell, don't ask. Are any of these clowns on ANI aware of this? Ask yourself, why was I allowed to return without any questions asked, no arbitration, nothing. It was easier that way, and I accepted it? Does anyone want to do this the hard way? OK>
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th June 2008, 5:34pm) *

Why don't we just have an Arbitration committee hearing, in public, on the whole matter. That, in effect, was what we agreed to drop in May, when I return. Don't tell, don't ask. Are any of these clowns on ANI aware of this? Ask yourself, why was I allowed to return without any questions asked, no arbitration, nothing. It was easier that way, and I accepted it? Does anyone want to do this the hard way? OK>

If you're getting beat up in the schoolyard sandbox by a bunch of bullies, you have a couple of choices...

Run for your life and ask your mommy and daddy to phone the police or the superindendent of schools.

Or, run for your life and get even bigger kids to come back to the schoolyard with you and have a big rumble in the sandbox, where everybody gets bloody.

Or, stay in the sandbox and continue to get your butt kicked.

Sounds like you keep doing the third one, and it is getting a bit funny.

Greg
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th June 2008, 9:34pm) *

I think you'd be doing the project a invaluable service by exposing your material to the light of day.
Docknell
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 10:08pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th June 2008, 5:34pm) *

If you're getting beat up in the schoolyard sandbox by a bunch of bullies, you have a couple of choices...

Run for your life and ask your mommy and daddy to phone the police or the superindendent of schools.

Or, run for your life and get even bigger kids to come back to the schoolyard with you and have a big rumble in the sandbox, where everybody gets bloody.

Greg

Actually, what is happening is several editors who are trying to clean up pedophilia pushing, are getting bullied by WP admins such as FT2, who has clearly promoted bestiality, and Thatcher who constantly agrees with FT2's anti-crank and anti-pedophile editor witch hunt, despite being surrounded by obvious pedophiles, and other admins who misrepresent clear statements. There are other admins who try to circle the whole pedophia promotion effort and raise their skirts to try, and fail to hide it all.

And we are on the outside videoing the whole thing.

When the pederasty article has all relevant views properly represented, then perhaps some admins can feel vindicated. Until then, they are as bad as the pedophiles.

Docknell

Dzonatas
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th June 2008, 2:10pm) *

Look stop the jokes could someone have the decency please to comment on ANI and refer the discussion to my talk page - it is quite preposterous what Ryan is saying.

The good-faith article is a serious issue.

In order for me to comment on Wikipedia and make it look worthy enough, I would have to create a new account. At this time, I'm not interested in a new account. Admins suggested to me to start fresh and unknown... and that just doesn't really resolve the issue.

I have no doubt in my mind that anybody who starts Wikipedia and edits a controversial article will run into 'not-fun' situations.
Docknell
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Mon 30th June 2008, 4:13am) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th June 2008, 2:10pm) *

Look stop the jokes could someone have the decency please to comment on ANI and refer the discussion to my talk page - it is quite preposterous what Ryan is saying.

The good-faith article is a serious issue.

In order for me to comment on Wikipedia and make it look worthy enough, I would have to create a new account. At this time, I'm not interested in a new account. Admins suggested to me to start fresh and unknown... and that just doesn't really resolve the issue.

I have no doubt in my mind that anybody who starts Wikipedia and edits a controversial article will run into 'not-fun' situations.

I think its clear from this Bad Blocks discussion that Ryan Postlethwaite and others are being ridiculous

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...ents#Bad_Blocks

My question is; Why are they being so extreme?

The facts of the matter are clear. FT2 has been slanting the bestiality article. FT2 seems to have been running sockpuppets to support his practice of NLP. FT2 seems to have been quite keen on banning anti-pedophile editors (some of whom are socks).

FT2 was elected in despite all of the POV pushing he is obviously guilty of.

Thus far it seems that the ban push on Hinnibilis from those extreme admins are either due to some of them being pro-pedophile, or some of them being pro FT2 (with a complete disregard for material edits), or a combination of both.

There are many other admin on that article who see the extremity of Postlethwaite and others. Why do they seem to have such a small amount of bandwidth there?

Basically, once again, Wikipedians such as Postlethwaite don't give a toss for text, whether its direct quotes from editors, or direct quotes from reliable sources. They only care about politics and personal vendettas. If they can shout loud enough and point the finger long enough in a team, then people notice, and the ones who dislike Hinnibilis (the propedophiles admins) join the rabble.

So once again the editors who care about the actual text of the articles get punished, and the articles get given to the cranks.

Wikipedophiles as a term is pretty accurate.

Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 11:08pm) *

Greg

I always do the third, OK? And now it seems like Alex for one is trying to be decent about it.

Damian
In this edit you have indicated that the old account of Damian was unblocked per Arbcom decision. Can you point me out to the decision? Does he have any editing restrictions on working under the new account or is he is supposed to be clear? Alex Bakharev (talk) 02:20, 30 June 2008 (UTC)

It was via IRC, mainly in discussion with FloNight and FT2, as I recall. I do not recall any conditions. Thatcher 03:18, 30 June 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for answering! Alex Bakharev (talk) 04:00, 30 June 2008 (UTC)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Thatcher
"
Proabivouac

Admins suggested to me to start fresh and unknown... and that just doesn't really resolve the issue.

You'd probably be blocked as a sockpuppet of this HeadleyDown.
QUOTE(Docknell @ Mon 30th June 2008, 5:26am) *

The facts of the matter are clear. FT2 has been slanting the bestiality article. FT2 seems to have been running sockpuppets to support his practice of NLP. FT2 seems to have been quite keen on banning anti-pedophile editors (some of whom are socks).

Bingo.

He was elected, at least in part, because, it seems, that WJBscribe prevailed upon an unknown (for now) individual to have FT2's incriminating edits oversighted, in flagrant violation of the oversight policy, to protect FT2's reputation during the election.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 7:01am) *

He was elected, at least in part, because, it seems, that WJBscribe prevailed upon an unknown (for now) individual to have FT2's incriminating edits oversighted, in flagrant violation of the oversight policy, to protect FT2's reputation during the election.

To be fair to Scribe, we only know that 'someone prevailed upon someone'. Though Scribe knew of the oversights at the time, his only provable crime was to stand by. From what he has said in private, I think it is clear he was acting innocently, if rather stupidly.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 6:10am) *

Though Scribe knew of the oversights at the time, his only provable crime was to stand by. From what he has said in private, I think it is clear he was acting innocently, if rather stupidly.

Tell us the story.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 6:01am) *

Admins suggested to me to start fresh and unknown... and that just doesn't really resolve the issue.

Bingo.

Look, Pro, just start out as a fresh sock and do it right. A really successful sock has to build up street cred. Go to Hebrew school. One of FT2's first posts was to note that the singular of mitzvoh is mitzvah, and link that term. Well, anybody can learn that kind of thing especially for a word you hear all the time, as in bar mitzvah; you don't have to be Jewish to like Nathan's Hot Dogs!

But then, go bold! FT2 took the SlimVirgin route, and edited Nazi-Collaborator articles and ODESSA, stepped into the Israel vs. Palestinian kids violence question, and finally topped it off with a general statement about how the average Jew feels about Jesus! [Answer: He's irrelevant] This is chutzpah if you're not Jewish! [And even if you are]. But it doesn't matter, because after you do this sort of thing enough, it doesn't matter if your screenname is SlimVirgin or even Ryan Postelthwaithe, you'll be as nearly bulletproof as JoshuaZ, Mantanmoreland, and Durova were, for all that time, and for the same reasons. You'll be made an admin (with oversighting of funny edits if you need that) and can then can go on to write articles about screwing St. Bernards, if that's what you want! Nobody will bother you, and if they do, you can blockinate them. If anybody hassles you about this, you'll always find folks like Stephen Shultz and Avi Avraham to say you're only human. By which they mean they mean you're human, but also a Mensch. smile.gif

So do it right, next time.

Er, it's possible I'm wrong about all this, and people like Slim also know NLP and use it like FT2 to subtly program and seduce the minds of all other admnistrators, in order to get whatever they want. You never know.

M.
Janron
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 30th June 2008, 2:54am) *

Bingo.

Look, Pro, just start out as a fresh sock and do it right. A really successful sock has to build up street cred. Go to Hebrew school. One of FT2's first posts was to note that the singular of mitzvoh is mitzvah, and link that term. Well, anybody can learn that kind of thing especially for a word you hear all the time, as in bar mitzvah; you don't have to be Jewish to like Nathan's Hot Dogs!

But then, go bold! FT2 took the SlimVirgin route, and edited Nazi-Collaborator articles and ODESSA, stepped into the Israel vs. Palestinian kids violence question, and finally topped it off with a general statement about how the average Jew feels about Jesus! [Answer: He's irrelevant] This is chutzpah if you're not Jewish! [And even if you are]. But it doesn't matter, because after you do this sort of thing enough, it doesn't matter if your screenname is SlimVirgin or even Ryan Postelthwaithe, you'll be as nearly bulletproof as JoshuaZ, Mantanmoreland, and Durova were, for all that time, and for the same reasons. You'll be made an admin (with oversighting of funny edits if you need that) and can then can go on to write articles about screwing St. Bernards, if that's what you want! Nobody will bother you, and if they do, you can blockinate them. If anybody hassles you about this, you'll always find folks like Stephen Shultz and Avi Avraham to say you're only human. By which they mean they mean you're human, but also a Mensch. smile.gif

Er, it's possible I'm wrong about all this, and people like Slim also know NLP and use it like FT2 to subtly program and seduce the minds of all other admnistrators, in order to get whatever they want. You never know.

M.

LOL! Isn't mitzvoh just an alternative spelling of mitzvah? Or does it have something to do with hot dogs? ;p
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 7:31am) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 6:10am) *

Though Scribe knew of the oversights at the time, his only provable crime was to stand by. From what he has said in private, I think it is clear he was acting innocently, if rather stupidly.

Tell us the story.

I'd rather not, given this is all, as it were, sub judice. Also it is rather long and boring. In brief, Scribe submitted a long written statement about his version of events to Arbcom. Unlike Postlethwaite's strange and bizarre version of events, this was detailed and accurate. However, it was clear from this version that Scribe had been acting in good faith. For example, he admitted he just gave up at one point because it was all too difficult and beyond anything he could comprehend.

The main thing to emerge was that Scribe admitted having followed certain links which he explicitly identified. I pointed out that these were the links to the oversighted edits, and this was concrete proof the edits had existed at all (rather than me making up some link to some other oversighted edit, if you follow). Immediately the whole case collapsed and nothing more has since been said.

I did email Flo a couple of times to remind her that we still do not know who actually performed the oversights (and I apologise to Alison for implying it was her - that was a moment of anger on my part). She promised to discuss the matter and come back, but nothing has been heard since.

Last night I also emailed her again to ask that I have some right of reply in the current matter. No reply, so far.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 7:50am) *

For example, he admitted he just gave up at one point because it was all too difficult and beyond anything he could comprehend.

This is the chair of the mediation committee, now also a bureaucrat?

This is our "lawyer living in London?"
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 8:58am) *

For example, he admitted he just gave up at one point because it was all too difficult and beyond anything he could comprehend.

Yes indeed. But in fairness to the guy, he is very young, he is merely a paralegal of some sort, and I would not want to jeopardise his career by any of this being made public. He was just very stupid and naive. I do respect the fact his written statement was very careful and considered, and accurate. In fact I respect that more than anything else. We need more of that on-wiki.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 8:18am) *

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 8:58am) *

Yes indeed. But in fairness to the guy, he is very young, he is merely a paralegal of some sort, and I would not want to jeopardise his career by any of this being made public. He was just very stupid and naive. I do respect the fact his written statement was very careful and considered, and accurate. In fact I respect that more than anything else. We need more of that on-wiki.

This is the trouble I have with the way these discussions always go when someone in a position of authority screws up royally. "But he/she is not a bad person." Having dealt with the man on several occasions, I'm not clear on that, but that's not the point. If he is just "stupid and naïve", and faced with problems "too difficult and beyond anything he could comprehend," he should step down - or be stepped down - from his positions in the leadership. Do all these promotions to important-sounding positions mean there is something that needs to be done, and done correctly, or are they just ways of saying, "WJBscribe, you're a well-meaning person." Are we trying to build a competently-managed project, or is everyone here to make the leadership feel good?

Peter Damian
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 6:53pm) *

This is the trouble I have with the way these discussions always go when someone in a position of authority screws up royally. "But he/she is not a bad person." Having dealt with the man on several occasions, I'm not clear on that, but that's not the point. If he is just "stupid and naïve", and faced with problems "too difficult and beyond anything he could comprehend," he should step down - or be stepped down - from his positions in the leadership. Do all these promotions to important-sounding positions mean there is something that needs to be done, and done correctly, or are they just ways of saying, "WJBscribe, you're a well-meaning person." Are we trying to build a competently-managed project, or is everyone here to make the leadership feel good?

You are quite right as always. But I still feel a bit sorry for Scribe. It's the fault of the organisation that over-promoted him.

Meanwhile, the madness at my ANI goes on. All my pleas to at least comment on the discussion are being entirely ignored. Some of the more ridiculous quote.

I haven't gone to WR to see if Ryan's description of the situation there is correct

No don't bother with that. Why on earth should anyone check that?

Support Block - Due to the increasing disruptive nature and loutish behavior of these anti-pedophile activists, including running off very respectable editors who have never edited in a controversial area (except perhaps removing incorrect child abuse categories from classic works of literature), it is my opinion that they are a net negative to the project. They think Wikipedia is a battleground to fight sexual predators when, in fact, it is not. We don't need their kind of help, quite frankly. They should be shown the door and allowed to come back only after a 6 month to one year block and only if they are serious. They should be topic banned from all sexuality related topics. --Dragon695 (talk) 23:50, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

Someone should ask Thatcher why he specifically invited me to work on these articles.
Proabivouac
Here's a neutral voice for you:
QUOTE(jossi)

Support block Enough, is enough. ≈ jossi ≈ (talk) 02:08, 30 June 2008 (UTC)

QUOTE(Jossi's Prem Rawat propaganda)

This Knowledge consists of the techniques to obtain stillness, peace, and contentment within the individual: the happiness of the true self-understanding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prem_Rawat

Maybe Jossi can take FT2's place on ArbCom?
Peter Damian
Seriously I am now thinking that Greg, Aubrey & all were right that there is no hope of salvaging the project. What I have seen in the past few days beggars belief. Literally, no one would believe you if you had made it up.

So what to do? Those who know me, know I never do anything by halves. If the thing can't be fixed, then destroy it utterly.

I am going to relax for a week and try and forget about everything, and also wait in case my mail to Arbcom gets an answer, for we must be fair. Meanwhile, how would one go about completely destroying Wikipedia? It is beyond a joke what is going on here. Well placed letters to Charitable donors? Blogs, more blogs? My blog on Medieval philosophy has a wide readership, as does my website.

Or subtle vandalisms that no uneducated person would spot? I have never done this before, although sometimes I leave the more amusing ones uncorrected to see how long they last.

Any other ideas? Probably deserves separate thread. If you are going to do something, do it really well.

In fact I have made a small start here:

But thats just the thing, you know this to be true. Even the Greeks have admitted that Philosophy came from Egypt and that it was stolen by Aristotle during Alexander the Greats invasion of Egypt. There is more then enough proof. So why not change the Philosophy page, edit it and put up correct information for people to read and learn. Be honest, what proof is there showing that Greek Philosophy really is Greek Philosophy? Theres no way to Verify if it is really of Greek birth.

: You have a very good point. Sadly I have been banned forever from Wikipedia for arguing just this kind of thing. Perhaps you could try to continue the good work? This is important stuff, you will just have to deal with a lot of POV warriors. Good luck. ~~~~
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=222519778
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 30th June 2008, 11:21am) *

Here's a neutral voice for you:
QUOTE(jossi)

Support block Enough, is enough. ≈ jossi ≈ (talk) 02:08, 30 June 2008 (UTC)

QUOTE(Jossi's Prem Rawat propaganda)

This Knowledge consists of the techniques to obtain stillness, peace, and contentment within the individual: the happiness of the true self-understanding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prem_Rawat

Maybe Jossi can take FT2's place on ArbCom?

Something came to mind when I read that....

IPB Image

...well, about the nature of the guerrilla ad, which I had to point out if anybody thinks it was about the other nature of it.
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 11:44am) *

Seriously I am now thinking that Greg, Aubrey & all were right that there is no hope of salvaging the project. What I have seen in the past few days beggars belief. Literally, no one would believe you if you had made it up.

So what to do? Those who know me, know I never do anything by halves. If the thing can't be fixed, then destroy it utterly.

I am going to relax for a week and try and forget about everything, and also wait in case my mail to Arbcom gets an answer, for we must be fair. Meanwhile, how would one go about completely destroying Wikipedia? It is beyond a joke what is going on here. Well placed letters to Charitable donors? Blogs, more blogs? My blog on Medieval philosophy has a wide readership, as does my website.

Or subtle vandalisms that no uneducated person would spot? I have never done this before, although sometimes I leave the more amusing ones uncorrected to see how long they last.

Any other ideas? Probably deserves separate thread. If you are going to do something, do it really well.

In fact I have made a small start here:

But thats just the thing, you know this to be true. Even the Greeks have admitted that Philosophy came from Egypt and that it was stolen by Aristotle during Alexander the Greats invasion of Egypt. There is more then enough proof. So why not change the Philosophy page, edit it and put up correct information for people to read and learn. Be honest, what proof is there showing that Greek Philosophy really is Greek Philosophy? Theres no way to Verify if it is really of Greek birth.

: You have a very good point. Sadly I have been banned forever from Wikipedia for arguing just this kind of thing. Perhaps you could try to continue the good work? This is important stuff, you will just have to deal with a lot of POV warriors. Good luck. ~~~~
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=222519778

With a bit more substantiated evidence and minus the flame euphoria, this would be more interesting. I think you have shown enough to prove your block is controversial, which probably makes it worse since there are many admins unwilling to take action, and it is not because of you.
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 2:44pm) *

Seriously I am now thinking that Greg, Aubrey & all were right that there is no hope of salvaging the project.

You let me know by e-mail when you're no longer merely thinking about it, but rather have concluded such, and then we can talk about destruction.

Oh, and there's no "u" in Awbrey.

Greg
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Mon 30th June 2008, 8:14pm) *

With a bit more substantiated evidence and minus the flame euphoria, this would be more interesting. I think you have shown enough to prove your block is controversial, which probably makes it worse since there are many admins unwilling to take action, and it is not because of you.

Unfortunately I can't present my case on ANI and a lot of the evidence is sub judice. Postlethwaite seems completely to have lost it. I have put some of the correspondence with Flo on my talk page after one thing he said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Hin...nonsense_on_ANI

Note the very last one refers to an abusive message FT2 left on the Damian talk page (it's still there) containing all sorts of thinly-veiled threats, including one to reveal my RL identity.

I complained vehemently to ARbcom about that and he was told to leave off. Note I didn't get him blocked for leaving such messages.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 30th June 2008, 8:53pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 2:44pm) *

Seriously I am now thinking that Greg, Aubrey & all were right that there is no hope of salvaging the project.

You let me know by e-mail when you're no longer merely thinking about it, but rather have concluded such, and then we can talk about destruction.

Oh, and there's no "u" in Awbrey.

Greg

As I say, I am going to leave it a week or two, just to let it ferment or not. Thanks, you are a good guy, Greg.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Janron @ Mon 30th June 2008, 7:35am) *

LOL! Isn't mitzvoh just an alternative spelling of mitzvah? Or does it have something to do with hot dogs? ;p

sad.gif Caught me. Yes, it is. The plural is Mitzvot. The vowels don't count since they're not in the Hebrew anyway, and whatever ones are added are often a result of influence of some other language which the Jewish group happens to speak. Which I knew, and it's knowledge I could/should have used to catch the mistake before I made it, since obviously two different Hebrew words (even inflections of the same stem) aren't ever going to differ by a vowel!

Ur, for the record, FT2 got this right. It's my mistake.
Moulton
Urim v'Thummim

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 30th June 2008, 6:01pm) *
Ur, for the record, FT2 got this right. It's my mistake.

And for the record, Ur means Light.
guy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 30th June 2008, 11:05pm) *

No, Or means light (Yehu Or - Let there be light:Genesis 1:3). Ur means a flame (Isaiah 50:11).
Milton Roe
QUOTE(guy @ Mon 30th June 2008, 10:14pm) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 30th June 2008, 11:05pm) *

No, Or means light (Yehu Or - Let there be light:Genesis 1:3). Ur means a flame (Isaiah 50:11).

It's the same word both places, sometimes transliterated AUR (ALEPH VAV RESH) אוּרִי
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 30th June 2008, 8:18am) *

But in fairness to the guy, he is very young, he is merely a paralegal of some sort, and I would not want to jeopardise his career by any of this being made public. He was just very stupid and naive. I do respect the fact his written statement was very careful and considered, and accurate. In fact I respect that more than anything else. We need more of that on-wiki.

Just in…
QUOTE(WJBscribe)

I'm a little at a loss to understand the direction this threat has gone in. I blocked this editor's original account indefinitely at the end of lack year for a serious campaign of harassment against another user. It was decided to allow him to resume editing under a new name following an appeal to ArbCom. My understanding from a discussion with FloNight was that the unblock was conditional on him leaving FT2 alone. In my view an apology to FT2 was also needed, but I acquiesced to the unblock. If he has violated his agreement by harassing FT2 again, then the restoration of the original indefblock is appropriate. Has Peter Damian undertaken to drop his vendetta against FT2? If so, terms of an unblock can be discussed. If not, he should remain blocked. WjBscribe 23:00, 30 June 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=222753260
Docknell
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 30th June 2008, 6:54am) *

Bingo.

M.

Well the programming issue is definitely there in the OrangeMarlin case. Nothing to do with hocus pocus, just FT2 and support from his pseudoscience mates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...y_User:Fainites

http://www.nlpconnections.com/members/fainites.html

FT2 has an extremely strong reason to want to ban editors who try to deal with the pseudoscientists on WP. FT2 has clearly pushed psuedoscience and kicked anyone who disagrees with such pushing.

Anything you believe in has power, as long as you are able to boot who you like, and get protected by a sizable lump of obvious reality denying admins.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Docknell @ Tue 1st July 2008, 4:23am) *

Well the programming issue is definitely there in the OrangeMarlin case. Nothing to do with hocus pocus, just FT2 and support from his pseudoscienc mates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...y_User:Fainites

http://www.nlpconnections.com/members/fainites.html

FT2 has an extremely strong reason to want to ban editors who try to deal with the pseudoscientists on WP. FT2 has tended to psuedoscience and kick anyone who disagrees with said pushing.

Its the same with anything on WP. Anything you believe in has power, as long as you are able to boot who you like, and get protected by a sizable lump of admins.

Absolutely right. And that's a bigger deal than OrangeMarlin's incivility, not in the least because FT2 is on ArbCom. FT2 using this opportunity to proclaim that there is no right and wrong on Wikipedia and that civility (so he must believe his droning monologues approximate) alone must determine content is nothing but a fish calling for less air and more water.
privatemusings
heh... shouldda read this thread through before posting to WJB's talk page earlier - I can only echo the positive impression of him that I read upthread, and I hope with eyes and ears like his, Lar's and Alex B's on this situation it might be sensibly resolved before the week is out....

I've got no idea how likely a 'might' that is though... so many wiki messes to trudge through!
Moulton
What's a "Community Ban"?
SirFozzie
A ban endorsed by the community instead of an ArbCom ban. Usually via an AN/ANI thread (or the old community Sanction board)

ArbCom limits themselves to bans of fixed duration not exceeding one year. Community bans are indefinite length.

An example is the ban of Gold heart, who was community banned for revealing medical information about Alison
Proabivouac
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Tue 1st July 2008, 10:05am) *

An example is…

There we go, stir that up some more.
SirFozzie
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Tue 1st July 2008, 6:08am) *

An example is…

What, I was just providing an example of a community ban smile.gif
Moulton
The issue we are discussing here — the policy or practice of voting someone off the island — corresponds in secular law to Bill of Attainder which is specifically prohibited in the US Constitution...

Bill of Attainder

Definition: A legislative act that singles out an individual or group for punishment without a trial.

The Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 9, paragraph 3 provides that: "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law will be passed."

There are many corresponding terms for the same practice: Lynching, Scapegoating, and Bill of Attainder — all of which are the corresponding secular equivalent to the cyberspace practices of banning/blocking/@toading/@newting/@nukeing some annoying miscreant in online virtual communities.

This issue comes up time and again in cyberspace communities. For a review of the most famous example from 1994, see The Case of the Sunny Disposition on LambdaMoo.
thekohser
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Tue 1st July 2008, 6:05am) *

An example is the ban of Gold heart, who was community banned for revealing medical information about Alison

I was community banned for asking Durova to provide evidence of how I gave misleading information to journalists.
Moulton
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 1st July 2008, 10:16am) *
I was community banned for asking Durova to provide evidence of how I gave misleading information to journalists.

Greg, was your Bill of Attainder actually voted on and passed by the community as a whole, rather than being just the arbitrary and capricious act of a single admin acting independently of any community consensus?
thekohser
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 1st July 2008, 11:14am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 1st July 2008, 10:16am) *

Greg, was your Bill of Attainder actually voted on and passed by the community as a whole, rather than being just the arbitrary and capricious act of a single admin acting independently of any community consensus?

Voting doesn't exist on Wikipedia. Don't you know it's all concensus (their spelling, not mine) these days?

I thought I've covered this fully before, but this link is your best source of understanding how I came to be "community banned" shortly after Cyde Weys considered unblocking me, and a month before Jimmy Wales (the co-founder of Wikipedia) actually overruled the supposed "community ban" and unblocked me.

Please note, the only point where I "went bad" was in response to Durova popping into this scene (I don't recall having had an interaction with her ever before) and claiming that I had "given misleading information to journalists that was printed in the mainstream press".

Now, if it was published in the mainstream press, it should be abundantly simple to cite the misleading information, no?

Instead, Durova suggested that the "mainstream press" was "I'd have to double check for the exact instance, but it was linked through the Wikipedia Signpost in mid- to late- January".

When it was shown that the Signpost had no mention of me or my business in January or several months prior, Durova then began to "create" evidence (she is known for this skill) and substitute it for "misleading information to journalists that was printed in the mainstream press".

I hope you enjoy reading the discussion -- it's one zinger after another.

Oh, and you may ask why I got re-blocked/banned after Jimbo's unblock in late March 2007? It had something to do with "legal intimidation" per my comments in this diff that ...wait for it... was discussing the Wikipedia "banning policy". I'm a scary monster, aren't I?

Greg
Gold heart
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Tue 1st July 2008, 11:10am) *

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Tue 1st July 2008, 6:08am) *

An example is…

What, I was just providing an example of a community ban smile.gif

And the "trial" was held in absentia. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.