Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Durova SooperSkerit Promoted to Arb Spokesperson
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Durova
Piperdown

o Agreed. FT2 has had a statement ready to go for a couple of days now and has been in a holding pattern waiting for a thumbs-up from other members of the Committee. Please be patient. DurovaCharge! 17:13, 1 July 2008 (UTC)

* How clever you are Durova, to know these things. How do you know this? Are you just perceptive, clairvoyant, or have you written it? Giano (talk) 18:20, 1 July 2008 (UTC)

nah, those arbs don't let just anyone in on the soopersekrit Arby Mailing List action, just people who can't even handle an adminship before f*cking it up, getting dropped to peasant status.

Dur-all-ova's Sleuthing average might be less than 10%, but she's batting 100% when it comes to "participating" in every single drama on WP.

Has she been soopersekritJimboAnnointed to speak for Arbies? Is this like a Raul thing? Who else is in the Arby Soup that you WP'ians didn't elect?
that one guy
that's one thing I respect about giano, he's not afraid to say what everyone else wants to say, but are too scared to do it.
KamrynMatika
Um, no, he said so on his his talk page a few days ago. Sorry Giano, Durova can just read.

I am waiting for replies to confirm if my proposed post (emailed some time ago) is acceptable to others. I can't do much till that gets feedback. FT2 (Talk | email) 14:08, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

I see. Well I'm off to hound the rest of the arbitrators who are participating in other matters but leaving this unsolved, then. ++Lar: t/c 14:11, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

(edit conflict) ... Mostly because I tend to be open by nature, and rarely more so than when asked to evidence conduct matters. Some of my colleagues may prefer other approaches, that needs to be respected if so. There will surely be benefit in saying what is so, without making it pointlessly tougher for others (who also must decide what they need to do) in the process. I ideally want to confirm with some other person/s that what I will say, will be seen by all as a fair and neutral summary. FT2 (Talk | email) 14:19, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

Given the situation at Wikipedia talk:Requests for arbitration/Orangemarlin, Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Arbitration Committee and Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Orangemarlin and other matters, I would think that a raw description of your view would be at least as valuable as a statement filtered against the committee. At least I, and I suspect many other editors, would like to hear from each Arbiter individually who thought that a secret case with sanctions against an established user was an acceptable idea. --Stephan Schulz (talk) 14:34, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

I'd love to. I'm sitting here like a hawk watching my email, tied to my desk and 20 yards from it right now. The problem is that I want to be damn sure I only say things that are seen as accurate, and don't accidentally say something that's taken wrongly and escalates rather than clarifies. I'm waiting for more "arbitrators who aren't so in the middle of it as some", and most aren't round right now. It's as frustrating for me too. But hopefully not long before some folks come back from their weekends and check in and comment. I hope. FT2 (Talk | email) 14:57, 29 June 2008 (UTC)

And gosh, Giano is irritating. I hope they ban him from Wikipedia: space soon.
Yehudi
tied to my desk and 20 yards from it right now.

Hmmm! Is that what's called putting someone on a long leash?
Proabivouac
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 6:50am) *

Um, no, he said so on his his talk page a few days ago. Sorry Giano, Durova can just read.
…

Giano is a model contributor, in mainspace and project space alike. We need more Gianos, or, if you like, more free and honest people who are serious enough about the project not to let it fall into unworthy and dishonest hands without fighting back.

The internet is serious business. These people who Giano is fighting have been and are in charge, they've made a bloody mess of it, and they must go. Responsibility. But they'd have it that Giano must be held very responsible for every little word he types - Giano who is just a volunteer, who has no official responsibilities at all - while the people running the show take no responsibility for anything at all.

Admin IRC in particular is a total disgrace and everyone who's been around awhile knows it. Its main function is to drive productive mainspace contributors off the site. One of the Arbs (guess who?) virtually runs the place.
LaraLove
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 5:23am) *

Admin IRC in particular is a total disgrace and everyone who's been around awhile knows it. Its main function is to drive productive mainspace contributors off the site. One of the Arbs (guess who?) virtually runs the place.

Do people actually take this seriously?
Neil
It's a small minority of admins who use IRC these days.

I wish nobody did. It's a system that's about fifteen years out of date, and it sucks. It's like still using ICQ and using altavista for all your web searches.
prospero
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 5:23am) *

QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 6:50am) *

…

Giano is a model contributor, in mainspace and project space alike. We need more Gianos, or, if you like, more free and honest people who are serious enough about the project not to let it fall into unworthy and dishonest hands without fighting back.

The internet is serious business. These people who Giano is fighting have been and are in charge, they've made a bloody mess of it, and they must go. Responsibility. But they'd have it that Giano must be held very responsible for every little word he types - Giano who is just a volunteer, who has no official responsibilities at all - while the people running the show take no responsibility for anything at all.

Giano keeps them honest, most of the time. He's essential to keeping some parties on WP in check and he has great connections for "leaks" of necessary information that others would rather hide. When he looses his temper and is just being profane for profanity's sake, that is what a lot of people tire of.
Bob Boy
QUOTE(Neil @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 10:13am) *

It's a small minority of admins who use IRC these days.

I wish nobody did. It's a system that's about fifteen years out of date, and it sucks. It's like still using ICQ and using altavista for all your web searches.

Yeah, and the ones who do use IRC as a basis for any kind of admin action are just begging for the community hammer to come down on them - for instance, Kylu, Ryulong, and others.
that one guy
IRC to me has its advantages, one of which is if a place like AIV is backlogged, a normal editor can notify an admin immediately, rather than having to post on AN/ANI/Some notice board and perhaps have a delay.

In a nut shell, if it's a non-contraversal action, go ahead and use IRC to ask for it to be done. Otherwise, just post it on wiki.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(that one guy @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 12:45am) *

that's one thing I respect about giano, he's not afraid to say what everyone else wants to say, but are too scared to do it.

Except, of course, for those people who wish they could say "I wish Giano would shut the fuck up." Giano never seems to voice their secret desire.
thekohser
QUOTE(Neil @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 11:13am) *

...and using altavista for all your web searches.

Hey, my dad uses Altavista almost exclusively (he can't give up those Boolean searches (which, I know, are also available on the major engines)), and he is only 75 years old.
LaraLove
QUOTE(that one guy @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 1:10pm) *

IRC to me has its advantages, one of which is if a place like AIV is backlogged, a normal editor can notify an admin immediately, rather than having to post on AN/ANI/Some notice board and perhaps have a delay.

In a nut shell, if it's a non-contraversal action, go ahead and use IRC to ask for it to be done. Otherwise, just post it on wiki.

I like to use it to get opinions before making actions... although I haven't done a lot of admin actions lately. It's also a good place to get updated on the current drama. It was immensely helpful when I was a new admin, as I had a lot of questions, obviously, and wanted opinions and clarifications on procedures before using the tools. It's all a matter of how you use it. Much like it is frowned upon to be active on WP and edit WR. But it doesn't have to be problematic. It's all in how you use it.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(that one guy @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 6:10pm) *

Have you ever considered that if those admins weren't farting around in a chatroom that they might be helping clear the AIV backlogs and helping out at the Admin Noticeboards? How is being on a service that is not answerable to anything Wikia, Inc related supposed to be helping the encyclopedia, when it means that the user is not present in the encyclopedia creating place?

Close it down - and hope a few souls go down with it.
jch
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 10:17pm) *

QUOTE(that one guy @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 6:10pm) *

Have you ever considered that if those admins weren't farting around in a chatroom that they might be helping clear the AIV backlogs and helping out at the Admin Noticeboards? How is being on a service that is not answerable to anything Wikia, Inc related supposed to be helping the encyclopedia, when it means that the user is not present in the encyclopedia creating place?

Close it down - and hope a few souls go down with it.

If you closed irc on freenode, they'll just go to another server, except this time there's no limit to what they can discuss there. At the moment, at the least there's dissent and leaked logs.

When you pick up the rock, you might get a few bugs, but many of them will scurry someplace safer where it's harder to stop them.

This is, of course, all hypothetical... the worst wikipedia could do is close their own official channels. There are plenty of channels that are well-hidden, not controlled by wikipedia, or for completely different projects. Freenode won't simply refuse entry to anyone with a wikipedia cloak. Again, it just becomes harder to squish the bugs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.