Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimmy Wales on Squawk Box
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
thekohser
Jimbo is introduced as the CO-founder of Wikipedia!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=790589283&play=1

They talk quite a bit about all of the nonsense that appears at any given time in Wikipedia articles.

Jimbo's "having a blast" with Wikia. Good for him!

"Usually the community is pretty good about monitoring things." (Click the "Newer edit" link for a slew of yuck-yucks.)

Too good to be true. Jimbo must have forgotten his "Joe Lieberman" page-protect-before-telecast protocol. Either that, or he was hoping to get it on later with Becky, alone, to show her how to really protect a BLP on Wikipedia. He's that crafty!

A good recent example of how to change someone's life story for 6 whole days is found here, which Becky mentioned on the segment.

They still love Wikipedia at CNBC, though!
thekohser
Here's a clip from earlier in the show.

Notice how Jimbo and his buddy Andrew Sorkin name-drop Richard Branson and the famous visit to the British Virgin Islands (Necker Island).

Note also, that they all pronounce it "Wik-uh-pedia".

Priceless moment at 2:25, when Jimbo's joke, "probably talking about space travel" goes over about like this:

They get back to those "just kind of silly" vandalistic edits, around 9:20 in this video clip. Shame, that they didn't talk more about how Jimbo feels when one of those lovable scamp vandals gets a guy like Taner Akcam detained at an airport for a few hours. No, they never seem to have time for that.

(Why are there no comments on this thread yet?)
Saltimbanco
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 10th July 2008, 4:17pm) *

I can only speak for myself, Greg, but, as with President (God help us) Bush, I cannot stand to watch Jimbo speak. Probably if he spoke in a venue where everyone understood him to be a joke, I wouldn't mind. But these people take him seriously. It's like seeing a kid interviewed about what he thinks about some topic that's way over his head.

Anyway, unable to bring myself to watch the video, I can't comment on it. I'm not Jimbo.
thekohser
QUOTE(Saltimbanco @ Thu 10th July 2008, 5:09pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 10th July 2008, 4:17pm) *

I can only speak for myself, Greg, but, as with President (God help us) Bush, I cannot stand to watch Jimbo speak. Probably if he spoke in a venue where everyone understood him to be a joke, I wouldn't mind. But these people take him seriously. It's like seeing a kid interviewed about what he thinks about some topic that's way over his head.

Anyway, unable to bring myself to watch the video, I can't comment on it. I'm not Jimbo.

Thanks, Salty, for explaining. Similarly, since I so don't enjoy horror movies, I've just stricken them from my diet altogether.

Anyone else who could bear to watch (and laugh at) Jimmy?

The situation of what happened at the end of the program, where Becky Quick was visibly mortified by what was being written about her on her bio page, is well worth observing.

Greg
Saltimbanco
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 10th July 2008, 8:17pm) *

The situation of what happened at the end of the program, where Becky Quick was visibly mortified by what was being written about her on her bio page, is well worth observing.

Greg

Okay, by going directly to about 2:55 on the video, it was mostly watchable. BQ apparently saw some of the more complimentary vandalism.

I bet they don't ever forget to do lock-down again, though.
thekohser
QUOTE(Saltimbanco @ Fri 11th July 2008, 9:25am) *

Okay, by going directly to about 2:55 on the video, it was mostly watchable. BQ apparently saw some of the more complimentary vandalism.

I bet they don't ever forget to do lock-down again, though.

It would appear that someone has recommended a more formal process to notify the community before broadcast appearances, but the community has chosen to get quite bogged down in debating the ramifications of what the word "policy" conveys.

Greg
thekohser
YouTube is not going to allow this to stay up for very long, but it's just the shining moment, as far as I'm concerned. Eighteen seconds of pure cringe:

thekohser
Danny Wool has blogged about this Squawk Box appearance now, too.
thekohser
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th July 2008, 11:18am) *

YouTube is not going to allow this to stay up for very long, but it's just the shining moment, as far as I'm concerned. Eighteen seconds of pure cringe:

Just got a tickle out of this again this morning. A classic Jimbo moment.

Could a mod move this thread to The Jimbo Phenomenon folder?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 26th February 2011, 9:48am) *

Only if some Bigger Mod moves the Jimbo Phoneynomen into the Burrocrazy Forum where it belongs.

Jon tongue.gif
Somey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 26th February 2011, 8:48am) *

Sure!

In the little video menu thingy for the Squawk Box appearance, there was another video in which Jimbo actually managed to get the hot-looking-babe interviewer to go out to dinner with him before the interview even started. Pretty impressive!

It's the usual worthless claptrap, of course.
Milton Roe
See next post instead.
Milton Roe
Bump up, as I added some stuff that might bring discussion.

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 26th February 2011, 1:12pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 26th February 2011, 8:48am) *

Sure!

In the little video menu thingy for the Squawk Box appearance, there was another video in which Jimbo actually managed to get the hot-looking-babe interviewer to go out to dinner with him before the interview even started. Pretty impressive!

It's the usual worthless claptrap, of course.

Looks like her got her into Denny's or someplace with wallstalls. Applebees or maybe a steakhouse? confused.gif Perhaps that is the Wallstrip production-company lunchroom? WTF?

All this is back in 2008, when Jimbo was footloose and fancy free. rolleyes.gif Must be because Wallstrip, the show being seen here, bought the farm at the end of 2008, due to the stock market crash of that year. So sad. And ex-trader Jimbo gives it a "long" rating, too. Guess that was politeness.

Does Jimbo's voice sound a ibt like Bill Gates to anybody?

I was amused when they asked him what makes Wikia different. He said was for geeks, but then went on to say that they were branching out beyond geek-ness, essentially. Okay, so what makes it different. Well, he says it's "heavily moderated" so as to make it really "advertizer friendly."

Which tells us a couple of things. Jimbo cares a lot more about advertizers than for children, or for public reputation of anybody with a BLP, and that's why WP is NOT heavily moderated. Basically, because moderation on WP doesn't make Jimbo any money, or else he'd do it.

I suppose the other part of that is that if you have anything bad to say about an advertising sponsor on Wikia, true and sourced or not, keep it to yourself. As with newspapers, it ain't gunna happen.

Jimbo also says Wikia is in 66 languages, and would be 67 if they counted Klingon. Hahahaha. The interviewer didn't ask him why he felt justified in stealing the Klingon Wikis from WMF.

It is becoming more and more clear that WP:NOT should simply be replaced with WP:NOTWIKIA. See WP:NOTANYTHINGTHATMIGHTMAKEJIMBOMONEY.

He also says beiing an internet rockstar is just like being the other kind of rockstar, except there's no sex or drugs. No, no, Jimbo, you got it wrong: there's sex, but e-condoms don't work in the Real World.
Text
Some older videos of Jimmy which you saw already but are still worth a laugh.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.