Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elonka vs. Jehochman
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Elonka
Proabivouac
Elonka blocks Science Apologist:
QUOTE(Elonka)

ScienceApologist, because of your actions over the last hour, I have blocked your account access for 12 hours. This was for actions such as edit-warring with Martinphi, using "undo" to remove an edit of his from March as "irrelevant"…
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225035928 16:02, 11 July 2008

Jehochman challenges the block:
QUOTE(Jehochman)

Hi, Elonka. I am uncomfortable with you blocking this editor and request that you not undertake any further administrative actions with respect to them. I think you are insufficiently objective to use tools in this instance. Please post your block to WP:ANI for review by uninvolved administrators. Thank you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225040604 17:08, 11 July 2008

Elonka accuses Jehochman of stalking and harassing her:
QUOTE(Elonka)

"Jehochman, your actions towards me are approaching the level of [[WP:HARASS|harassment]]. You are obviously stalking my contribs, you're showing up all over my watchlist, challenging nearly everything I do, and badmouthing me both on-wiki and off-wiki."
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225057472 18:02, 11 July 2008

Jehochman responds, appealing to BLP:
QUOTE(Jehochman)

"remove personal attacks, false accusations" 18:43, 11 July 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225064445
"Additionally, I am a named, living person. You cannot make unsupported accusations such as "harassment" or "stalking" against me on ''any'' page of Wikipedia, including talk pages. Such comments can be reverted by any editor without limitation, per [[WP:BLP]]."
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225065337 18:48, 11 July 2008

User:Seicer, best known for driiving prize-winning physicist User:R physicist off of Wikipedia…
QUOTE(Seicer)

"This should aid you in your right to vanish R Physicist"
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...:24.202.238.172 13:49, 11 April 2008

…suggests that Science Apologist's fate is being decided on…heck, where else, IRC:
QUOTE(Seicer)

"We have been discussing this off-Wiki for a while, among quite a few administrators, who are fed up with the inaction and the cuddling that occurs whenever SA or any of the gang is blocked for any extended duration."
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225095037 21:22, 11 July 2008

Rootology
BLP towards editors is an interesting thing. How would that play into dispute resolution?

And not even a note on SA's page that he's blocked...

Missed it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sci...Apologist#Block
Piperdown
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 12th July 2008, 5:57pm) *

BLP towards editors is an interesting thing. How would that play into dispute resolution?

i brought this up on my WP user page last year, and here of course.....my page said something along the lines of "tired of being attacked on WP? join 'em! WP doesn't allow bad things about 'WP'ians' to be said on-WP, so join WP, and stop the bad things, you'll get Wikipedic Immunity!"

I mentioned Mark Cuban (who did join up for a bit to counter Gary Weiss, lol), Patrick Byrne (who has joined up, edited extensively, and still has many, many "personal attacks" specifically against him on-WP by the likes of Weiss, Guy Chapman, Gerard, Geo Herbert, etc, on WP Talk pages.

In the Bizarro World of Wikipedia (in a manner resembling a cult), if you're a "Wikipedian" (whatever the fuck that means), you can't be spoken negatively about....but if you're "notable" and not a Wikipedia, well then the talk pages are fair game....

and if you've been "banned", on false premises by crooked, lying psychos that railroaded Bagley was on WP, then you're really really fair game....

remember, find them guilty/innocent as per what jimbo wants you to, regardless of the facts...(the Soopersekrit Credo of Arbcom)
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 12th July 2008, 10:57am) *

And not even a note on SA's page that he's blocked...

Missed it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sci...Apologist#Block

It is true that BLP issues are not restricted to article space, but there are admins that choose to selectively ignore them. if needed, I can support that elsewhere besides this thread.

Jehochman was almost correct in his action, but he didn't nullify the issue when he restated accusations.

That's like blocking someone for trolling or harassment, but turning around and putting "troll" or other harassment in the log. One thing I liked about WoW forums, is that people will get reported if the make any remark over someone being a troll or likewise discussion of discipline (i.e. 'you will be block for trolling", "you are harassing me", etc). The kids on those forums seem to be more mature than some Wikipedia discussions (well, more overly excited on WoW forums). Just like the forums here, each message has a biohazard button.

Whoever noticed the edit-war first could have have hit the biohazard button (if wiki's had biohazard button). The report shows up in something like AN/I. Such button would have already cut out some of the talk page drama. If it was implemented, you can look at the page history and see what edits have been reported as biohazards.

Rootology
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sat 12th July 2008, 11:20am) *
One thing I liked about WoW forums

If you're referring to World of Warcraft, the forums are totally useless except for a bit of socializing and farming out useful bits of information, from when I played. There was basically non-stop trolling and stupidity ALL THE TIME. I don't think I've ever seen anyone speak positively of them!
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 12th July 2008, 11:23am) *

If you're referring to World of Warcraft, the forums are totally useless except for a bit of socializing and farming out useful bits of information, from when I played. There was basically non-stop trolling and stupidity ALL THE TIME. I don't think I've ever seen anyone speak positively of them!

You must have been in the FFA forums like ones that really don't have any purpose but to socialize. Ya, the admins don't waste time in those. People are already in 'fight' mode by playing the game, and those forums let them RP it out. There are other forums that real discussion take place, notably the technical ones. Without the FFA forums, the technical ones would be a mess like you found.
Rootology
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sat 12th July 2008, 12:11pm) *

You must have been in the FFA forums like ones that really don't have any purpose but to socialize. Ya, the admins don't waste time in those. People are already in 'fight' mode by playing the game, and those forums let them RP it out. There are other forums that real discussion take place, notably the technical ones. Without the FFA forums, the technical ones would be a mess like you found.

Oh, I never looked in those except once in a great while to see a macro or something. I lurked on the class ones (rogue, warlock, mage, since I'm a DPS whore in games) and was shocked by how bad they were, especially the lock one. A well-moderated forum is a joy, generally.
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 12th July 2008, 12:29pm) *

Oh, I never looked in those except once in a great while to see a macro or something. I lurked on the class ones (rogue, warlock, mage, since I'm a DPS whore in games) and was shocked by how bad they were, especially the lock one. A well-moderated forum is a joy, generally.

Of course, the locks never stop QQ about rogues. What would you do about it? Ban every lock that does it? Can't do that because blizzard would lose customers. Instead, they set expiry times on some forums and messages.

Usenet messages use to expire mainly because of space. Along came somebody and that decided to archive every message despite the expiry time set in the message. Even those purposely quick expiration times with a hate message deployed became saved.

Back about the original discussion... apropos...

There is a quote I can't track down for attribution:
When there is death, there is an end, where there is no death, there is no end.

Metaphorically, the need to die and be reborn as innocent is a temporary solution to a seemingly endless technical difficulty, and to think one has moved on to a new life is an infallible white lie.

People "change"
KStreetSlave
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 12th July 2008, 2:23pm) *

QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sat 12th July 2008, 3:11pm) *

There's very little point in spending time on the official forums, when instead you can go to stratics, massively, kotaku, etc. Any of the other places that have a higher intelligence level, give you the information that you're looking for without having to troll through the drivel.
maggot3
Nobody cares about what WoW forum is best, really.
Dzonatas
QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 12th July 2008, 1:15pm) *

There's very little point in spending time on the official forums, when instead you can go to stratics, massively, kotaku, etc. Any of the other places that have a higher intelligence level, give you the information that you're looking for without having to troll through the drivel.

Is that analogous to Wikipedia being the official forum? MediaWiki lacks the biohazard button that anybody can use rather than another wiki-drama moment that anybody can edit.
Rootology
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sat 12th July 2008, 1:41pm) *

QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 12th July 2008, 1:15pm) *

Is that analogous to Wikipedia being the official forum? MediaWiki lacks the biohazard button that anybody can use rather than another wiki-drama moment that anybody can edit.

Not even remotely close. Wikipedia is a hybrid of Nirvana, Christian Heaven, and an orgy of wild nonstop super-powered bareback sex with the gender and person(s) of your choice compared to the shitstained hell that is some of the Warcraft "official" forums. Don't get me wrong, some are fine. But the ones for some of the "classes", that is your role in the game, are just horrid.
Achromatic
Round Two (?):

Elonka is pissed that Jehochman has anything to do with the SEO article.

He has a COI, don't you know?!?

And if you "associate" with the ne'er-do-well, you shouldn't be editing it either!

Durova should not be working on the article, because she is an associate of Jehochman's.

But if you're, say, Jossi, editing Prem Rawat? Carry on. You've disclosed. Keep up the encyclopedia building!
One
QUOTE(Achromatic @ Wed 15th October 2008, 6:33pm) *

Round Two (?):

And if you "associate" with the ne'er-do-well, you shouldn't be editing it either!

Durova should not be working on the article, because she is an associate of Jehochman's.

But if you're, say, Jossi, editing Prem Rawat? Carry on. You've disclosed. Keep up the encyclopedia building!

Actually, that might be a real conflict... except that he's totally open about it. I don't understand the urge to punish people for openness--it just encourages everyone to be a naked pseudonym. The only reward for candor is personal attacks.

And coming from Elonka, it's an absurd complaint, especially the Durova bit. Looks petty.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(One @ Wed 15th October 2008, 8:31pm) *

QUOTE(Achromatic @ Wed 15th October 2008, 6:33pm) *

Round Two (?):

Actually, that might be a real conflict... except that he's totally open about it. I don't understand the urge to punish people for openness--it just encourages everyone to be a naked pseudonym. The only reward for candor is personal attacks.

And coming from Elonka, it's an absurd complaint, especially the Durova bit. Looks petty.

... and just a little out of date - or has D begun to stop treating J with icy coolness for abandoning her in her hour of need a year or so ago?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.