Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lar to Suffer the Inquisition
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Milton Roe
As a actual .en steward who dares to post on WR, even if he never expresses a strong opinion about anything, Lar has been under survailance and scrutiny at WP. And yes, in this case we do expect the spammish inquisition; just a matter of time. But you can't just fuck with stewards for petty reasons like incivility, as you would with the powerless, and Lar's never incivil anyway. ph34r.gif So, how to get at the Infuriatingly Bland One?

Lar's recent use of checkuser has given the Cabal an opening, and now they're in. ohmy.gif

Reqest for arbitration#Lar
thekohser
Fix the link, Milt.
UserB
Maybe I'm missing something. If anything, this arbitration should END the inquisition. Right now, Lar is being subjected to claims that he cannot answer without violating privacy. This would provide him with a forum to answer the claims and with a (theoretically) neutral body that can (theoretically) definitively state whether or not Lar has abused his privileges.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st July 2008, 9:14am) *

As a actual .en steward who dares to post on WR, even if he never expresses a strong opinion about anything, Lar has been under survailance and scrutiny at WP. And yes, in this case we do expect the spammish inquisition; just a matter of time. But you can't just fuck with stewards for petty reasons, like incivility, as you would with the powerless-- and Lar's never incivil anyway. ph34r.gif So, how to get at the Infuriatingly Bland One?

Lar's recent use of checkuser has given the Cabal an opening, and now they're in. ohmy.gif

Wikipedia:Request for arbitration#Lar

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 21st July 2008, 9:23am) *

Fix the link, Milt.

Did you try it? The link worked if you clicked it; it just looked like it wouldn't. But okay, I took out the ellipsis.
Derktar
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st July 2008, 10:38am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st July 2008, 9:14am) *

As a actual .en steward who dares to post on WR, even if he never expresses a strong opinion about anything, Lar has been under survailance and scrutiny at WP. And yes, in this case we do expect the spammish inquisition; just a matter of time. But you can't just fuck with stewards for petty reasons, like incivility, as you would with the powerless-- and Lar's never incivil anyway. :ph34r: So, how to get at the Infuriatingly Bland One?

Wikipedia:Request for arbitration#Lar

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 21st July 2008, 9:23am) *

Fix the link, Milt.

Did you try it? The link worked if you clicked it; it just looked like it wouldn't. But okay, I took out the ellipsis.

Actually I fixed it, I don't know why, but once in awhile when the hyper link becomes long, it can get screwed up.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(UserB @ Mon 21st July 2008, 11:32am) *

This would provide him with a forum to answer the claims and with a (theoretically) neutral body that can (theoretically) definitively state whether or not Lar has abused his privileges.

Ain't theories wonderful?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(UserB @ Mon 21st July 2008, 9:32am) *

Maybe I'm missing something. If anything, this arbitration should END the inquisition. Right now, Lar is being subjected to claims that he cannot answer without violating privacy. This would provide him with a forum to answer the claims and with a (theoretically) neutral body that can (theoretically) definitively state whether or not Lar has abused his privileges.

That's a "glass half full" thought, but you have a point.

Remember that poor Jimbo was thinking about the possible commentary on WR if he fixed Rachel's bio himself (so he told her on chat), and so WR's opinons actually screwed up Jimbo's sex life. Man, they hate us. Apparently the standard at WP for identified users is that you must ignore WR completely, or else launch into WikiDefender type tirades about us (except that you're serious). To the untrained eye, however, Lar appears to feebly defend WP only about 50.0% of the time. Not enough.

It comes to me that a scientific instrument is needed, perhaps the Wikipedia Lar Anisotropy Probe. It would look for miniscule variation in the Cosmic Lar Opinion Background, in order to see if there is actually any Dark Matter in Lar's uniformly beige heart. smile.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Lar's Observation)
One of the things I find most frustrating in this whole matter, especially when brought here to a public mailing list, is that you, SlimVirgin, can make any allegations you want, but for me to refute them would require breaching privacy. You've done that with just about every aspect of this and I find it to be tiresome, and dirty pool to boot. Perhaps you should consider why so many users are somewhat frustrated with your approach to dispute resolution... you've been called on this particular thing over and over.

What Lar labels as "dirty pool" I would simply call a corrupt practice by an ethically challenged character.

Lar, is that an unfair description of what you're dealing with?

Lar say's it's frustrating. I say it's beyond frustrating; to my mind, it's exasperating.

These perplexities have vexed me for nigh onto a year now. And I daresay Lar, Alison, Cla68, Random832, Gnixon, UserB, and many others have wrestled with comparable intractable problems far longer than moi, and with far more at stake than mere defamation of character of an identifiable living person.

To my mind, these problems call for Action Research.

QUOTE(Lar continues..)
You assume too much, I think. Unless of course your real reason for raising this is to try to damage my reputation in order to win unrelated disputes, a tactic that I think will increasingly fail you going forward, as more people realise you do so.

This same corrupt practice also arises in the recurring conduct of the principal actors in the WikiClique on ID.
the fieryangel
I think that you guys maybe have it all backwards.

Thatcher filed this case...and unless I'm missing something, Thatcher is on Lar's side.

SV was offered the possibility of filing an case with the ombudsman commission or Arbcom, and she chose not to, probably so she could continue to wail and gnash her teeth...

So, what's happening here? It seems to me that somebody's ace was just trumped....and I don't think that it was Lar's card...

Regardless of how this turns out, I would like to voice my support for Lar, who's one of the few voices of reason who posts both at WR and WP. Hopefully, this will turn out....the way I think it's going to turn out....

....oh, and....kudos to Sir Fozzie for sticking his neck out.

I hope that he still has his head when this is all over!
The Joy
I hate to wiki-lawyer, but isn't CheckUser on a different level? I mean, I don't think the ArbCom would have the ability to look at CheckUser data or scrutinize the evidence per the Foundation's privacy policy. If there's a case of privacy violation via CheckUser tools, shouldn't the matter be brought to the attention of the Foundation's Ombudsmen Committee who would be able to determine whether the privacy policy was breached. CheckUser, I would think, would be on a Foundational level and not on a local community project's level. It would actually invade SV's privacy more if Lar were ordered to produce the CheckUser evidence, even in private, to the ArbCom.
Newyorkbrad
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 21st July 2008, 7:30pm) *

I hate to wiki-lawyer, but isn't CheckUser on a different level? I mean, I don't think the ArbCom would have the ability to look at CheckUser data or scrutinize the evidence per the Foundation's privacy policy. If there's a case of privacy violation via CheckUser tools, shouldn't the matter be brought to the attention of the Foundation's Ombudsmen Committee who would be able to determine whether the privacy policy was breached. CheckUser, I would think, would be on a Foundational level and not on a local community project's level. It would actually invade SV's privacy more if Lar were ordered to produce the CheckUser evidence, even in private, to the ArbCom.

Eleven of the fourteen sitting arbitrators are checkusers, and the other three would also be accorded that status if they requested it. From time to time the arbitrators do receive confidential access to checkuser data, typically in sockpuppetry cases, which is why the requirement of providing identification to the Foundation as well as the age minimum were extended to arbitrator positions last year.

(I am not expressing a view on any aspect of the merits of the matter, in this or any other post.)

the fieryangel
QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Mon 21st July 2008, 7:37pm) *

(I am not expressing a view on any aspect of the merits of the matter, in this or any other post.)

I am: this is SV's worst nightmare. Somebody is finally officially asking her to "show her cards". And the other Arb-com case is still open.

This is a calculated risk on the part of Thatcher, but I think he's got a few cards up his sleeve anyway.

Once again, folks, nothing is as it seems here...
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 21st July 2008, 2:20pm) *
Thatcher filed this case...and unless I'm missing something, Thatcher is on Lar's side.

SV was offered the possibility of filing an case with the ombudsman commission or Arbcom, and she chose not to, probably so she could continue to wail and gnash her teeth...
SlimVirgin tried to use the ombudsman to smear me when I checkusered her (and she found out, almost certainly via Jayjg). Steve Dunlop (the ombudsman at the time) categorically cleared me of any wrongdoing, an act for which Slim has almost certainly never forgiven Steve. She (and others, Irpen amongst them) continued to allege that I abused checkuser even after I publicized the decision clearing me.

She's not going to file a complaint with the ombudsman because she doesn't expect fair treatment from them, and is afraid that the ombudsman will just clear Lar. So instead she uses her usual smear tactic strategy of publicizing the conclusion she wants as broadly as she wants in the hopes that enough people will believe it that it becomes true.

Thatcher's action gives the ArbCom the opportunity to, first, determine who is leaking checkuser logs to SlimVirgin (and determine if such action is appropriate) and, second, determine if SlimVirgin's actions against Lar are inappropriate for a Wikipedia editor. I would think both of these matters are obvious and simple, but this is the ArbCom we're talking about....

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 21st July 2008, 2:39pm) *
Once again, folks, nothing is as it seems here...
Yes. Nobody (with any sense, at least) makes any sort of public move in wikipolitics without making sure that his (or her) back, side, top, bottom, and any other applicable sides are covered. Substantial political maneuvering went into Thatcher's act there.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st July 2008, 10:14am) *

Reqest for arbitration#Lar
QUOTE(UserB @ Mon 21st July 2008, 10:32am) *

I agree with UserB on this one. I think Thatcher's intentions are benign. That doesn't meant that the ArbCom won't find a way to use the case maliciously, but this does present an opportunity to clear the air, while requiring Virginia Slim to put up or shut up.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st July 2008, 1:04pm) *

so WR's opinons actually screwed up Jimbo's sex life. Man, they hate us.

Neh. He was off spreading his 'wikilove' elsewhere by then.

But that he worried was somehow satisfying.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st July 2008, 1:04pm) *
Matter in Lar's uniformly beige heart. smile.gif

Lar is indeed beige.
Mr. Mystery
Lar was too willing to let the ArbCom "midnight express" Orangemarlin. At least he'll get the benefit of presenting a defense.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 21st July 2008, 2:30pm) *

I hate to wiki-lawyer, but isn't CheckUser on a different level? I mean, I don't think the ArbCom would have the ability to look at CheckUser data or scrutinize the evidence per the Foundation's privacy policy.

See we're different.

I *love* to wikilawyer, and as per the new FISA 2008 Amendments, anyone born outside the United States has no right to seek penalties of any kind.

Especially under Arbcom for violations against their person, nor ego, nor their haughty countenance. Neither against their poodle.

The poodle clause got chucked in the thick of the telecom immunity negotiations. It was poodles or privacy.

Neither survived.
Bob Boy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 21st July 2008, 1:26pm) *

This same corrupt practice also arises in the recurring conduct of the principal actors in the WikiClique on ID.

That reminds me - when I was looking at Poor Man's Checkuser, I ran across this charming edit by Jim62sch -

That's our crack Intelligent Design Team.
dtobias
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 21st July 2008, 2:26pm) *

To my mind, these problems call for Action Research.

OK, I've researched Action, and this is what I come up with:

IPB Image
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Mon 21st July 2008, 2:38pm) *

Lar was too willing to let the ArbCom "midnight express" Orangemarlin. At least he'll get the benefit of presenting a defense.

Well, meanwhile this thread is in need of illustration!
[imgx]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/107471929_ab71c6f195.jpg?v=0[/imgx]
Robert Roberts
It sounds great but in practice, it's used to cover a lot of sloppy academic practice - I didn't realise it was still big in the states.

I got laughed out of town when I suggested it for my PhD.

Mr. Mystery
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 12:06am) *

(removed image)

LOL! -No, I mean, Look. How exactly does posting an image representing the likely remedy of Lar's arb case below "Well, meanwhile this thread is in need of illustration!" which in turn is directly below a post linking to a comment of his labeled "midnight express"... how exactly does that help matters? laugh.gif

QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 21st July 2008, 12:40am) *

Doing stuff like that contributes to a rather nasty climate here and I don't condone it. Not in the slightest. Rather, I find it quite reprehensible. There's no call for it regardless of WHAT you think anyone did. No call for such harassment. Doing so strengthens the hand of those who marginalise ALL input here.

Speak truth to power, for the truth shall set you free.

Brave words from Lar. But pictures of legos representing Lar in a Turkish prison? HA HA HA! -"No. Certainly not in my name at any rate..." tongue.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Mon 21st July 2008, 6:08pm) *

LOL! -No, I mean, Look. How exactly does posting an image representing the likely remedy of Lar's arb case below "Well, meanwhile this thread is in need of illustration!" which in turn is directly below a post linking to a comment of his labeled "midnight express"... how exactly does that help matters? laugh.gif

What makes you think I'm trying to help matters? laugh.gif Bad premises.
Mr. Mystery
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 1:21am) *

I guess I've been spending too much time in the "shifting mess of crazy and often malice" that is Wikipedia -no, I mean the Wikipedia Review! Listening and engaging with paranoids and obsessives can affect one's thinking, you know. ohmy.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Mon 21st July 2008, 7:08pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 12:06am) *

(removed image)

Removed image? Well let's see it again.

[imgx]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/107471929_ab71c6f195.jpg?v=0[/imgx]
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Mon 21st July 2008, 6:29pm) *

I guess I've been spending too much time in the "shifting mess of crazy and often malice" that is Wikipedia -no, I mean the Wikipedia Review! Listening and engaging with paranoids and obsessives can affect one's thinking, you know. ohmy.gif

Indeed it can, but paranoids and obsessives are with you always. We have no cure here for them, at WR. But one can cut the incidence of these things somewhat by building an environment which doesn't reward these behaviors. WP has an environment which does reward these behaviors. We don't-- but on the other hand, we're on vacation, and under less stress. These behaviors exist for a reason, and it's generally not to allow humans to survive while relaxing on vacation, on the beach, with Mai Tais and Cervezas.

This is not a site which claims to have The Answers as to just how you can make an encyclopedia of quality using just the general population, and without craziness. Perhaps it cannot be done. But burden of proof is upon the positive claimant. Jimbo and crew said they could do it. If they're producing pathology (which they are) they might look elsewhere for some new ideas. That may be here, but isn't necessarily here. It's a big world out there, and it's not run by random teenagers with some time to burn, supervised by the mentally ill who don't have anything better to do. So look at how things are done already. Only a narcissist would ignore what works. WP is run by narcissists.

We do have some opinions about "fixing" WP. The flagged and sighted stable versions stuff has been long discussed (and wasn't invented totally at Wikipedia, but has long been suppressed there, in one form or another). Other obvious things that need fixing are WP's BLP policy, its anonymity, its lack of due process and Bill of Rights, and so on. These are all tied together. But again, not our invention. These things are all problems of governance and epistemology which have already been solved to a better approximation in liberal democracies in the "real world" than on WP, and their absence on WP is due to the name random nature of that site which embraced vandalism and the power of the ignorant-but-convinced. And which has led to the social evil and the quality suggestions. We serve as a reminder not to reinvent the wheel. If we don't have answers, we can at least point to them, and laugh like hell at WP for not paying attention, or not caring.

We are a mere way-station, where people who've been caught up in the madness of WP, may rest a bit, joke a bit, and say what's on their minds, without fear (which does not happen at WP). No more, no less. We're not the Red Cross. So try not to expect more of us than we claim to be, and on the other hand, try not to miss the extra stuff that we actually have.

Milton

QUOTE(The Second Coming by WB Yeats)

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of ''Spiritus Mundi''
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Mr. Mystery
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 2:41am) *

QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Mon 21st July 2008, 6:29pm) *

Indeed it can, but paranoids and obsessives are with you always. We have no cure here for them, at WR. But one can cut the incidence of these things somewhat by building an environment which doesn't reward these behaviors. WP doesn't have that. We do have it-- but on the other hand, we're on vacation, and under less stress.

This is not a site which claims to have The Answers as to just how you can make an encyclopedia of quality using with the general population, and without craziness. Perhaps it cannot be done. But burden of proof is upon the positive claimant. Jimbo and crew said they could do it. If they're producing pathology (which they are) they might look elsewhere for some new ideas. That may be here, but isn't necessarily here. It's a big world out there, and it's not run by random teenagers with some time to burn, supervised by the mentally ill who don't have anything better to do. So look at how things are done already. Only a narcissist would ignore what works. WP is run by narcissists.

We do have some opinions about "fixing" WP. The flagged and sighted stable versions stuff has been long discussed (and wasn't invented totally at Wikipedia, but has long been suppressed there, in one form or another). Other obvious things that need fixing are WP's BLP policy, its anonymity, its lack of due process and Bill of Rights, and so on. These are all tied together. But again, not our invention. These things are all problems of governance and epistemology which have already been solved to a better approximation in liberal democracies in the "real world" than on WP, and their absence on WP is due to the name random nature of that site which embraced vandalism and the power of the ignorant-but-convinced. And which has led to the social evil and the quality suggestions. We serve as a reminder not to reinvent the wheel. If we don't have answers, we can at least point to them, and laugh like hell at WP for not paying attention, or not caring.

We are a mere way-station, where people who've been caught up in the madness of WP, may rest a bit, joke a bit, and say what's on their minds, without fear (which does not happen at WP). No more, no less. We're not the Red Cross. So try not to expect more of us than we claim to be, and on the other hand, try not to miss the extra stuff that we actually have.

Milton

QUOTE(The Second Coming by WB Yeats)

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of ''Spiritus Mundi''
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Seems you are not at all about "justifying the ways of God to men," then? A pity, you certainly have the rhetorical skill and a well-chosen username for the task!

Although in your schema, WR would be akin to purgatory, while in their's (that of Morven et all) it is Pandæmonium. I haven't quite identified anything resembling Heaven in any of these set-ups, though!
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Mon 21st July 2008, 8:07pm) *

Seems you are not at all about "justifying the ways of God to men," then? A pity, you certainly have the rhetorical skill and a well-chosen username for the task!

Although in your schema, WR would be akin to purgatory, while in their's (that of Morven et all) it is Pandæmonium. I haven't quite identified anything resembling Heaven in any of these set-ups, though!

Yep. As I've said before, actually malt does more than Milton can, to justify God's ways to man. But take it: If the smack is sour, the better for the embittered hour...

Yes, WR is much more like Dante's Purgatorio. Where is Heaven? Why, that's the real world. Hell is (obviously) Wikipedia. WR is the place where you pay for your sins in the one to get to the other-- to get back to life.

And I am less Milton sometimes than (please ignore the severe conceit of comparison) Dante's spirit of Virgil, which leads the way through Hell and Purgatory. I sing of arms and the man! Look for Beatrice (the guide for Dante's Heaven) elsewhere!

MR
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 5:08am) *

Yep. As I've said before, actually malt does more than Milton can, to justify God's ways to man. But take it: If the smack is sour, the better for the embittered hour...

Yes, WR is much more like Dante's Purgatorio. Where is Heaven? Why, that's the real world. Hell is (obviously) Wikipedia. WR is the place where you pay for your sins in the one to get to the other-- to get back to life.

And I am less Milton sometimes than (please ignore the severe conceit of comparison) Dante's spirit of Virgil, which leads the way through Hell and Purgatory. I sing of arms and the man! Look for Beatrice (the guide for Dante's Heaven) elsewhere!

MR

Oh, the verses that you make... They give me the bellyache.
Mr. Mystery
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 4:08am) *

MR

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.
-Paradise Lost, Milton

If WP were Heaven, Alison would be Beatrice!
jch
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 4:08am) *

MR

If the metaphor extends the other way, then wouldn't a soul in Hell be able to ascend to heaven by ... just deciding to quit Hell? "I'm tired of burning for my sins. Gimmie some wings and a harp already."

It makes me wonder how accurate that might be.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Tue 22nd July 2008, 3:12pm) *

If WP were Heaven, Alison would be Beatrice!

"All right, then, I'll go to hell."
---Twain, Huckleberry Finn
Jonathan
The Arbs have accepted the case.

For God's sake Arbcom, don't you think the substantially bigger case of far greater importance that is nearing three months without having a decision is a higher priority?
Vicky
QUOTE(Jonathan @ Tue 5th August 2008, 8:30am) *

For God's sake Arbcom, don't you think the substantially bigger case of far greater importance that is nearing three months without having a decision is a higher priority?

What makes you think they'll do anything with the case for the next six months?

And at the end of the day, what can they do to Lar? ArbCom can't sack a steward, and even if they ban him from WP I'm sure he has other things he can do.
Random832
QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Tue 5th August 2008, 9:10am) *

QUOTE(Jonathan @ Tue 5th August 2008, 8:30am) *

What makes you think they'll do anything with the case for the next six months?

And at the end of the day, what can they do to Lar? ArbCom can't sack a steward, and even if they ban him from WP I'm sure he has other things he can do.

Losing privileges on his home project is a pretty huge black mark for the next steward election.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Random832 @ Tue 5th August 2008, 8:03am) *
Losing privileges on his home project is a pretty huge black mark for the next steward election.
The more relevant issue is that come the next elections, Slim and her cronies will pack the vote against Lar; even if he comes out of this conflict nominally intact his days are almost certainly numbered.

Isn't there some law against harboring venomous snakes?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 5th August 2008, 9:57am) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Tue 5th August 2008, 8:03am) *

The more relevant issue is that come the next elections, Slim and her cronies will pack the vote against Lar; even if he comes out of this conflict nominally intact his days are almost certainly numbered.

Isn't there some law against harboring venomous snakes?

Everywhere except in SlytherinVenerean's House.

Jon cool.gif
dogbiscuit
Noting that Crum375 still hasn't edited since mid-July, my suspicious mind wonders if the noise that Slim is making is because she does not want Lar checkusering to find Crum's new account (not that I would expect Lar to go fishing like that, simply following Slim's logic).

Of course, Crum might be human after all and just be on a month long vacation.

I doubt that any Crum account could be kept secret for long, as he would not be able to resist his old topics. Perhaps he has already brewed his alternate account seeing how he was being aggressively disruptive with his Crum375.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 5th August 2008, 4:06pm) *

Noting that Crum375 still hasn't edited since mid-July, my suspicious mind wonders if the noise that Slim is making is because she does not want Lar checkusering to find Crum's new account (not that I would expect Lar to go fishing like that, simply following Slim's logic).

Methinks this would indeed be the wrong time for Lar to go fishing for Friends of SV (FoSV) with checkuser. So yes, this could be what the military calls a spoiling attack.

BTW, here's a clear sock or alternate account (he knows all about WP editing right away), and one treated with amazing lack of suspicion by SV (i.e. strangely, the dog does NOTHING in the night), either due to his co-interests, or else due to her knowing who it is, from the Animal Rights community. He apears just about the time Crum goes, for what it's worth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr...ons/Eazyskankin

If Lar can't checkuser him, I'm sure somebody ought to.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 6th August 2008, 12:49am) *

Methinks this would indeed be the wrong time for Lar to go fishing for Friends of SV (FoSV) with checkuser. So yes, this could be what the military calls a spoiling attack.

BTW, here's a clear sock or alternate account (he knows all about WP editing right away), and one treated with amazing lack of suspicion by SV (i.e. strangely, the dog does NOTHING in the night), either due to his co-interests, or else due to her knowing who it is, from the Animal Rights community. He apears just about the time Crum goes, for what it's worth:

Well, no reason to check as nothing abusive. But how about this for a user's 7th & 8th edit!
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 5th August 2008, 4:49pm) *

According to Wikipedia's draconian username policy he should've been blocked. ohmy.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Tue 5th August 2008, 4:57pm) *

According to Wikipedia's draconian username policy he should've been blocked. ohmy.gif

I thought of that, but look at the dab page for skank. You haven't spent much time in mosh pits, one supposes. smile.gif
tarantino
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 5th August 2008, 11:06pm) *

Of course, Crum might be human after all and just be on a month long vacation.

I doubt that any Crum account could be kept secret for long, as he would not be able to resist his old topics. Perhaps he has already brewed his alternate account seeing how he was being aggressively disruptive with his Crum375.

The Crum375 account stopped editing after it was blocked for 48 hrs. for edit warring.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 5th August 2008, 7:20pm) *
The Crum375 account stopped editing after it was blocked for 48 hrs. for edit warring.
Yes, but of course the editor behind that account has come back as some other identity. We're just waiting to find out what that identity is.
gomi
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 5th August 2008, 5:31pm) *
QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 5th August 2008, 7:20pm) *
Yes, but of course the editor behind that account has come back as some other identity. We're just waiting to find out what that identity is.

Keep an eye on the admin-rights log. He won't be interested in coming back without the tools. If someone gets them without an RFA, it'll be Crum.
The Adversary
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Tue 5th August 2008, 11:57pm) *

I thought that name was taken from Bob Marley´s 1977 song?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 5th August 2008, 4:56pm) *

Well, no reason to check as nothing abusive. But how about this for a user's 7th & 8th edit!

As noted, clearly experienced with WP: Creates a whole short article de-novo, complete with properly linked sections, in two edits.

And yet, jumps right into the animal rights article to argue with SlimVirgin about the size of the history section which he thinks should be spun off, and tries to do so (she reverts him, even though there actually is an appropriate history article already, which some of the material could go into).

A combination of savvyness about WP with no fear of SlimVirgin on one of her favorite OWNed articles means just one thing: they're aquainted outside WP. Anybody else would know enough to be afraid, and this guy isn't. True strangers get into a immediate argument with Slim on the Talk page, as editors just above Skank do. So the interesting thing is not what is happening here, but what is NOT happening. Slim is not giving this guy the "newbie-pass," that's for sure.

Nothing abusive? A single-purpose new account created by an old WP hand, to push POV on one page? Notwithstanding the new-article tossed off right away, to deflect attention? wink.gif Looks like something I see people checkusered for all the time.

Personally I don't give two shrew-turds if somebody creates a sock to do this kind of thing. What I do care about is when Slim participates, since she's burned too many people for just yhis, and is now acting like a black widow spider who is entirely unconcerned when that little brown white-spotted spider enters her web. She should have eaten Eazyskanin by now. Why hasn't she? Particularly when it's apparent to everybody what he's an old user with a new name, and thus vulnerable.

So inquiring minds want to know what's going on. With Crum375 missing (whose own appearance, BTW, was also of similar instant maturity), it's doubly interesting. No, I doubt Crum is Eazyskankin. But there's something fishy here. Whoever Eazyskankin is, it's somebody we know.

And yes, Easy Skanking is a Bob Marley song. But Easy Skankin' is also a comic strip: http://easy-skankin.com/comic.php. With a rather SlimVirginish heroine.
Viridae
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 6th August 2008, 9:49am) *

Prob not Crum: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=229690263 - on the other hand it could be a giant con ph34r.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Viridae @ Tue 5th August 2008, 6:58pm) *

Prob not Crum: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=229690263 - on the other hand it could be a giant con ph34r.gif

I don't think Crum, either. But this guy's an old hand at the circus. If he sticks his head in the mouth of the lion, he knows that lion personally.
Viridae
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 6th August 2008, 12:15pm) *

QUOTE(Viridae @ Tue 5th August 2008, 6:58pm) *

I don't think Crum, either. But this guy's an old hand at the circus. If he sticks his head in the mouth of the lion, he knows that lion personally.

Or not aware that that is a lion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.