Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gwernol, Super COI Spam Fighting Machine
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Disillusioned Lackey
Gwernol's real name is Daniel Crow. He's a Product Manager for Google in New York, working on the Search Engine Function. In his role as Gwernol, he fights "spam" and COI.
  • Half Dozen a Day COI Guy - Gwernol 07:59, 12 July 2008 (UTC). If you happen to have a webserver, MySQL, ...... I've found myself giving out up to half a dozen COI warnings a day now. ...
  • About Boodles the Cat - Gwernol 17:21, 31 January 2008 (UTC). You have been blocked from editing for ...... One option is to designate a specific set of COI-affected editors who we ..
  • Gwernol kicks IPTV off of Wikipedia (So what if it's a large company owned by the Lauder family? Gwernol says COI, Gwernol is right)- This link was deleted by Gwernol on the basis that it was a COI. As I have written extensively on this subject, and am very active in standards development, ... (and blah blah blah) Wikipedia:Mediation Cabal/Cases/2008-07-18 IPTV
  • Don't Ever Write About Where You Work! - User talk:Eli Falk - The UCSC Wikipedia Trust Project
    Best, Gwernol 17:34, 5 December 2006 (UTC) .... By the way, about writing an article about a school where you teach, I'd recommend looking at WP:COI. ..
  • Gwernol, Telling it Like it Is - User talk:Ryan Keyes - The UCSC Wikipedia Trust Project
    Best, Gwernol 03:31, 3 February 2007 (UTC) ... help editors create articles or resolve disputes some of the ones I recommend you read are WP:COI WP:RS WP:N ..
  • Bagging on Bagley with COI - The Wikipedia Review > JzG: Wikipedia Review superfan
    Bagley went to WP with COI proof. Unfortunately for him it was proof against the ..... FeloniousMonk, Gwernol, JustZisGuy, KillerChihuahua, and SlimVirgin. ...
  • Gwernol Advises - User talk:Gnif global - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gwernol, if I find an peer-reviewed article from a blog, ... There's also the WP:COI issue; you shouldn't add your own work or group's work, rather suggest ...
  • Gwernol Keeps it Clean - Wikipedia:WikiProject Deletion sorting/Radio - Wikipedia, the free ...
    Procedural nomination Gwernol 09:34, 12 July 2008 (UTC) .... The article is written by the club historian, hence a WP:COI problem.
    [url=http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:NobilityPublishing]
    Gwernol Says "Dont Write About Your Own Company"[/url] - User talk:NobilityPublishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Thank you, Gwernol 23:55, 23 July 2008 (UTC) ... Finally, you shouldn't be composing the article about your own company, see WP:COI. ...
  • Gwernol 01:51, 12 May 2007 (UTC). Delete - It's not that notable of a game. ...... I also suggest that it falls under WP:COI, or WP:OR if you assume good ...
  • Non-notable, no reliable sources, violates WP:AUTO and WP:COI. ...... Gwernol 19:49, 31 March 2007 (UTC); Delete not on the grounds of the poetry being bad, ...

So.... Why is is a BIG DEAL that GWERNOL is worried about COI?

1. Because Gwernol, aka Dan Crow, is a hypocrite. Flaming, flaming hypocrite. Why?

2. Dan Crow used a Spa to create some of it (some he did in his own name)Gwern's product: Booksmart.
Did it show up in Time Magazine? Sure. Is it neat? Ok. Is it notable? Not really (Did it affect your life? It didnt' affect mine). Did he create the pages himself? Yep. Check the time logs of logins of the persons who made the pages. Either it's him, or a meatpuppet.

4. Anyone who criticizes Crow's blatant COI is silenced - Comments about the article on the product being advertisingx Were shot down. Surprise, surprise.

read a little like an ad, so I shortened it. I strongly suggest the editor who added it try to find at least one more example of such products, or both this mention and the accompanying article are rather likely to be deleted. DGG 00:42, 16 January 2007 (UTC)

5. The guy has even uploaded advartising materials, three years ago.
Gwern Uploaded Company Logos and Product Pictures (they made him take the logos down)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6...ngrab_loRes.jpg]YOUR OWN COMPANY'S LOGO[/url]

6. And did some of this under a blatant SPA.
* 23:40, 25 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs) uploaded "http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6...ngrab_loRes.jpg]Image:Blurb screengrab loRes.jpg[/url]" ‎ (Blurb BookSmart on laptop.)
* 18:53, 21 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs) uploaded "Image:Blurb screengrab loRes.jpg" ‎ (This image is the property of Blurb Inc., which is the author of this post.)
* 18:48, 21 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs) uploaded "Image:Blurb BookSmart loRes.jpg" ‎
* 18:18, 21 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs) uploaded "Image:Blurb logo loRes.jpg" ‎ (This logo is the property of Blurb Inc.)
* 22:45, 20 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs) New user account ‎

7. Here is this History of how the Article on his Product Came About - Article about Booksmart, written by Crow himself - in his own login

8. And here's the clue that Bluberati is his SPA.

#
# (cur) (last) 20:37, 21 July 2006 Gwernol (Talk | contribs) (Remove trademarks per Wikipedia:Manual of Style (trademarks)) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 19:59, 21 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 19:12, 21 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 19:08, 21 July 2006 Blurberati (Talk | contribs)
(so Gwern really edited this thirty minutes after it was created by.... who? His SPA).

9. Here's His Latest Hypocrisy. An Ongoing COI Mediation Case against IPTV and an editor
Gwen asserts that this guy can't edit about IPTV, because he works with it. (Throws up hands in air). HONESTLY.
Mediation Cabal Case for IPTV - I am a recognized subject matter expert on IPTV and VoIP performance, and created two information portals related to this topic. The information portals are educational and informative, and are non-commercial. I added the www.iptvtroubleshooter.com link to the IPTV article, which already had some content related to IPTV performance. This link was deleted by Gwernol on the basis that it was a COI. As I have written extensively on this subject, and am very active in standards development, it is difficult to contribute to Wikipedia without referring to material that I've written.

Seriously. WHERE do they get these people? Almost ever yone of the most virulent of the Wikipedia Administrators is outrageously hypocritical.
thekohser
Good stuff, if you can definitively link Dan Crow to User:Gwernol. Did you do that, among all your (good) links?

Greg
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 24th July 2008, 11:27am) *

Good stuff, if you can definitively link Dan Crow to User:Gwernol. Did you do that, among all your (good) links?

Greg

Oh you can. It's in the history. I had it last year. I just can't be bothered this minute. It's him alright.

I've conversed with Crow at his google.com address, via email. This being about Gwernol's behavior towards me. And Gwernol is Crow.

The research - I actually did it in anger, when looking up the people's names who had libelled me online. Gwernol was one of the propagators, after one of the nutty military-linked admins (whom I guess might work at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio) started this bs story that I was someone I was not. Gwernol went on a bender calling me a COI, and blocking me, resulting in that I could not respond. I didnt know the rules at the time (at all) so I logged in under a new name - and also an IP, and they screeeeched that i was a vandal (the military admin said that I was a formerly banned user - yeah yeah - old story, but in my case, the defamation was dangerous, as they added allegations that I was an X an that I'd said Y and etc etc etc).

Gwernol went about spouting a bunch of hooey about how the page I'd created was spam cruft and tut tutted it all over the place. The page I created was about an entity that does educational work, in an area which is new, and very cogent and interesting. I'd planned to use Wikipedia as a platform for getting out the material to the general population (yes, I know - orig. research, but we are publishing it elsewhere - still, this would have eventually ran into problems on Wikipedia, of course, because Wikipedia attacks experts and hates to have anythign new and original - if not valuable - but what did I know.

After the big attack, I contacted him and spoke to him about it, and asked him to remove some of the libel or defamation. He told me that I had "profaned him" (??) total nonsense, which makes me think he has some kind of distortion in his thinking, despite being obviously clever.

At that time, I pointed out all of these links. He told me that he was not the one that made the page. I pointed out the probability of someone else making the page thirty minutes prior to him was unlikely - besides the fact that the editor admitted to working for the firm - which he owns - so if it wasn't him, then it was one of his staff. He still bs'ed his way out of it. Such denial.

I talked to him a bit, and he was reasonable.

Then, later, I saw he was off doing the same abusive stuff. I said nothing.

Then I noticed this, and decided to document it. Of course it is him. There's also IP evidence, if you want to bother with it.

Most of all what bugs me is how he runs around like a little old nanny goat, chasing these accursed COI bastards - and then does this kind of stuff.

It's probably the most blatant case of COI hypocrisy around. I just ran into it because he was the who accused me of COI SPAM CRUFT, and that was one of the four concurrent "trials" of me, my character - and what.a.bad.person.I.am online, in my own name. God, I'd never have used my own name if I knew this was such a kindergarten. I thought this was like what Google Knol is going to be. A place for grownups where expertise is validated and valued. Ha. What a laugh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.