Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A fool's guide to writing a featured article
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Shalom
I found this essay by Giano from a link MastCell put on the administrators' noticeboard where he discussed the impending doom of the admin coaching project. I read most of Giano's essay and laughed in several places. He wrote it in February 2008. Here's the link with some highlights:

Link: A fool's guide to writing a featured article

Highlights:

Wrong reasons [to write a Featured article]

Meeting famous people. On achieving your first or twenty-first FA it is unlikely that Jimbo and the Arbcom will drop by your page with congratulations, flowers and a complimentary adminship. In fact Jimbo has only ever dropped by my page once and that was for altogether different reasons, and the same can be said of Arbs.

At present Wikipedia, in my view, is a sad place, its rulers are a non-intellectual mediocrity, more interested in self promotion and chatting in a chatroom than in global education, they have never comprehended the project's true goals, they embrace those who have no interest in those goals. In short, Wikipedia has become a foundling home for the intellectually inept. It is sad, but we cannot be a refuge, and chatroom, for all, especially if it is at the expense of the project. To that end we have to be determined, and if necessary ruthless. We can console ourselves that there are many places in the internet-world for these people to chat, make friends and achieve their political ambitions. I think, we have lost sight of the fact that this is a project dedicated unequivocally to promoting education.

Enjoy reading, and consider posting some other Giano gems here! smile.gif
Giggy
I commented to Giano after getting my fifth FA that I had done it because I wanted to be like him (see essay for context). He replied with a warning that he might post my underwear on eBay, or something to that extent (Rachel Marsden reference).

Classic.
Lar
QUOTE(Giggy @ Fri 25th July 2008, 12:21am) *

I commented to Giano after getting my fifth FA that I had done it because I wanted to be like him (see essay for context). He replied with a warning that he might post my underwear on eBay, or something to that extent (Rachel Marsden reference).

Classic.

Er, why does Giano have some of your underwear? There's something here you're not telling.
Giggy
QUOTE(Lar @ Fri 25th July 2008, 10:23pm) *

QUOTE(Giggy @ Fri 25th July 2008, 12:21am) *

Classic.

Er, why does Giano have some of your underwear? There's something here you're not telling.

How do you think I get higher up on WP:WBFAN?
Shalom
This essay was discussed in an earlier thread:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=15233
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.