Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good experience with Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Emperor
My friend is going to Greece soon, and will be visiting the island of Lemnos where his ancestors come from. We're in New Jersey.

I couldn't remember the name of the Greek ship I read about years ago that fought against the Turks. I wanted to tell him about it in case he wanted to visit.

Not only did Google ("balkan wars greek ship") and Wikipedia make it easy to find the Georgios Averoff, but the story mentions it fought near Lemnos.

Finding this out took less than five minutes. Point: Wikipedia.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 31st July 2008, 8:05pm) *

My friend is going to Greece soon, and will be visiting the island of Lemnos where his ancestors come from. We're in New Jersey.

I couldn't remember the name of the Greek ship I read about years ago that fought against the Turks. I wanted to tell him about it in case he wanted to visit.

Not only did Google ("balkan wars greek ship") and Wikipedia make it easy to find the Georgios Averoff, but the story mentions it fought near Lemnos.

Finding this out took less than five minutes. Point: Wikipedia.

Lemnos has a fantastically long runway which at least means you don't have the Kos landing experience of having to land on a runway two foot longer than the breaking distance. I believe there was some tarrydiddle over how it was funded. Didn't see much from our Mark Warner encampment, but my experience of those islands is that there isn't that much to see - a lot of the tourist workers buzz off to Australia or the like out of season. We were first plane into Kos one year, and had the delight of seeing all the traders realising they needed to finish painting sooner than they planned.

I think everyone agrees that Wikipedia can provide a pretty good scraping together of information, but I'd still be wary on a page like this of the wrong edit triggering a Turks vs Greece edit war - there is a reason why Greece wanted one of their longest runways so close to Turkey... one of the oddities of the area is that there are lots of big flags and any bit of rock sticking out of the water is likely to have a flag painted on it.
Emperor
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 31st July 2008, 2:20pm) *

I think everyone agrees that Wikipedia can provide a pretty good scraping together of information, but I'd still be wary on a page like this of the wrong edit triggering a Turks vs Greece edit war - there is a reason why Greece wanted one of their longest runways so close to Turkey... one of the oddities of the area is that there are lots of big flags and any bit of rock sticking out of the water is likely to have a flag painted on it.

I heard that the Turks were led by that fat guy from Borat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.