Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ROFLcon (Con-game?)
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Disillusioned Lackey
ROFLCON. This is the thing that "professor" Judith Donath, fake MIT professor claims to be a part of. Uh huh.

ROFLSchedule!

San Francisco, CA — August 29th, 2008

So we’re throwing an evening event in San Francisco, featuring a bushel of short talks from the internet famous and other knowledgeable online culture folks on the past, present, and future of the memescape. Like in April, we’ll be having an open call for various celebrities to show up and lurk around in the audience. It’ll be followed by an open bar and a dance party. So, in other words, it should be a superlatively ridiculous time.

Registration Now Open

Where: Mighty, 119 Utah Street

~5:00 PM — Introductions, then Andy Baio (Waxy.org) on “Star Wars Kid and the Cult of Unwilling Celebrity”

5:45 –

6:30 — Sean O’Steen (Founder, Twitter Fail Whale Fan Club) on “Love and the Cetacean Nation”

7:15 — Cheez (Founder, I Can Has Cheezburger), on The State of the LOL

7:30 - 8:00 — Break For Dinner

8:00 - 10:00 — Open Bar!

10:00 — It’s a Dance Party!

—————–

Confirmed Guests:

Andy Baio (Waxy.org)
Sean O’Steen (Twitter Fail Whale Fan Club)
Cheez (I Can Has Cheezburger)
Dino Ignacio (Creator of Bert Is Evil),
Sean Savage (Inventor of the term “Flash Mob”)
Lore Sjoberg (co-founder Brunching Shuttlecocks, columnist Wired.com’s Alt Text)
Martin Sargent (host, Internet Superstar)
[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [Facebook] [Technorati] [Google] [StumbleUpon]

6 comments.
thekohser
If a bomb went off at that thing, I suspect the world would notice the explosion, but would have a difficult time measuring any undue effects on society.
Rootology
Fuck, what a cheerless bunch we are!

I would totally go to this for the laughs.

thekohser
You didn't think my comment was funny in a dark sort of way?
Rootology
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 5th August 2008, 10:23am) *

You didn't think my comment was funny in a dark sort of way?

A little too Lydia Deetz for my taste. Cheezburger and failblog from those guys are two of the consistently most funny blogs I read--funnier than some TV shows that probably pay $1,000,000+ per episode.
Disillusioned Lackey
You mean this thing is for real?

I thought it was another of those spook fakey things.

Like Judith D isn't real. As I doubt is the entire Sociable Media Project (though I stand ready to ber refuted, svp).

Also not-real is the MIT SecureID project. If the SecureID project was real, as stated, they'd be walloped with a lawsuit from RSA, a subsidiary of EMC Inc.. But it's not, so they aren't.

I'm kind of accustomed to finding "not real" things online of late. It's sort of some kind of intel show-off thingy as in "look how many universities we can get to validate us" in completely lame fake thing!". Sort of a federal 419 project, from my point of view.

So Roflcon is for real? Huh.

Well, I'm becoming an old fogey, clearly. rolleyes.gif

Note to Kohs: No, I don't think that the comment was funny at all. This site is targeted as a subversive site (not a joke) by various oversight staffers (which is a nice way of putting it). Using the B-word on this site is about as funny as using it in an airport. It gives a lot of weird people pathetic justification for treating this site as, well, subversive. Please don't do that. Thx.
Rootology
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Tue 5th August 2008, 10:29am) *

You mean this thing is for real?

Dude, http://icanhascheezburger.com/ , http://www.failblog.org and other macro sites are some of the most popular blogs on earth now, and I think the guys that started the sites do it as their full time profession now. It's insane--I was at a wedding this weekend and had total strangers ask me questions on it, after family told them "I know all about the internet". These were people that don't even go on message boards, flickr, barely read Wikipedia even. Totally "regular" people that make up the bulk of society, and they're like, "Are those kitty lol images for real? We love them, read it every day."

You know this is all just a natural extension of things like blogger cons and related things like http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/ for video games, right? I was at PAX, the Penny Arcade Expo, the past two years. 2006, there was I think 30,000 people. Last year, 50,000 or so.

San Diego Comic Con when I first went in 1999 was about 60,000 people if I recall right and they were about 50% of the floor space of the San Diego Convention Center; I met Harry Knowles and was like, whoa, celebrity. The last time we went was 2004, and there were just shy of 100,000 people, and I was chatting for a minute with Merry from Lord of the Rings and John Shepard from Stargate while Charlie freaking Sheen was walking by. This year they got to the point where the fire marshalls were getting into fights with the con people because the building was overloaded and sold out daily, and now the con is going to spill next year into other facilities as well all over downtown San Diego.

It's the era of the nerd.
Disillusioned Lackey
As I said, I am clearly dating myself.

And not in a good way. huh.gif
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 5th August 2008, 12:20pm) *

If a bomb went off at that thing, I suspect the world would notice the explosion, but would have a difficult time measuring any undue effects on society.
Are you kidding? Lore Sjoberg's commentaries on modern geek society are second to none. Definitely not to be missed, and they would be missed if we didn't have them.
Lar
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Tue 5th August 2008, 1:45pm) *

Do you go dutch?

OK, sorry that was bad.
lolwut
Those image macro blogs are fucking awful. If you want to get that kind of stuff, at least have the decency to go to a chan imageboard.
Rootology
QUOTE(ByAppointmentTo @ Wed 6th August 2008, 8:11am) *

Those image macro blogs are fucking awful. If you want to get that kind of stuff, at least have the decency to go to a chan imageboard.

The chans and the rest have their moments, but 'regular' people that aren't online all the time are going to look at something like /b/ once, shudder, say, "The fuck is this?" and never go back. The macro blogs are accessible which is why they're popular. And people love to see kitties acting undignified.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 5th August 2008, 12:22pm) *

Do you go dutch?

No, actually her hand pays, but don't imagine that gives it a license to get lucky, later.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 5th August 2008, 1:22pm) *

Do you go dutch?

OK, sorry that was bad.

If I did, it wouldnt' be with married "Dutch" service providers. blink.gif

rolleyes.gif
Robert Roberts
Are you stalking this woman? how many threads do you need about her?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.