Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary Bass on "Wikidrama" and autonomy of Wikimedia projects
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Carruthers
Off of foundation-l and includes not one but TWO case studies!

Scenario 1:
An active user with an unusual username on the English Wikipedia has,
for whatever reason, never taken advantage of SUL. An account opens up
on a much project which is, given the name, implausibly anything other
than an impostor of the English Wikipedia account. It does, however,
have apparently useful contributions (no difficult matter on this wiki
if one is familiar with it); and the local community, while believing
that the account is an impostor account seems to be unwilling to resolve
the situation without demanding that the user come to the smaller
project and ask for usurpation. Obviously, we wouldn't want to force
the issue with an autonomous project.

and (I wonder who this person would be??)

Scenario 2:
A user has been banned on enwiki. The user has "outed" psuedonymous
individuals via his blog and threads Wikipedia Review by compiling
information put together elsewhere on the net. He has taken to another
wiki and under the auspices of the local wiki's policy, has put back
links to pages which have links to pages (sometimes several pages deep)
which "outs" the individuals.

Hmm, I wonder what this means???
Kelly Martin
It means that projects have autonomy unless they do something that Cary Bass, or one of his masters, don't approve of, and then they don't. This is nothing new.

Cary is trying to emulate his mentor, and doing a piss-poor job of it. It's really sad to watch.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Carruthers @ Tue 12th August 2008, 1:34pm) *

More:

Scenario 3:
A new user on WQ with the unusual name of FatVirgin, has started to make perfectly referenced additions regarding the medical necessity to perform vivisection without anesthesia, in experimental animal pain studies. Another user on the English Wikipedia has complained that this is harassment. FatVirgin has offered to change their name to Crum376, FT2Screw, JzzzG, JumboWhale, DavidFUGerard, or Anticipation_of_something_really_large_up_me, getting. Rather than defuse the situation, all of these have caused even more incendiary comment. Question-- how would you all define harassment? And what is this really large thing, being talked about?
Carruthers
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 12th August 2008, 9:12pm) *

More:

Scenario 3:
A new user on WQ with the unusual name of FatVirgin, has started make perfectly referenced additions regarding the medical necessity to perform vivisection without anesthesia, in experimental animal pain studies. Another user on the English Wikipedia has complained that this is harassment. FatVirgin has offered to change their name to Crum376, FT2Screw, JzzzG, JumboWhale, DavidFUGerard, or Anticipation_of_something_really_large_up_me, getting. Rather than defuse the situation, all of these have caused even more incendiary comment. Question-- how would you all define harassment? And what is this really large thing, being talked about?

That's really funny, Uncle Miltie!

...actually what I'm reading here is that the OFFICE wants to figure out a way that when you're banned some place, you're banned everywhere...That's sort of the long and short of it, as far as I can see....
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Carruthers @ Tue 12th August 2008, 2:17pm) *

...actually what I'm reading here is that the OFFICE wants to figure out a way that when you're banned some place, you're banned everywhere...That's sort of the long and short of it, as far as I can see....

Presumably they mean to try to extend this even to non-en. wikis, since they're after COMMONS which is already a polyglot, and not an en. project by any means.

Of course their aim is similar to BADSITES. It just makes en.wiki look bad if they ban somebody, and then that person procedes to go someplace else to another jurisdiction where they can't be extradited or (even worse) shut up, and then is more productive than your average en.WP Kabal member, and (even worse) critical of same. It's almost as though there were out there, fomenting little WR's against the mother en.wp.

And they might say snide things about en.wiki in other languages that you can't read, and other people who read those languages might laugh at en.wiki's expense, and wouldn't that just make all those WMF people die a little, inside? sad.gif
Robert Roberts
and again - there is another tension with the community. One of the current way of getting rid of people trying to deal with people who have had issues and may currently be banned is to tell them to go to one of the other projects and conduct good works amongst the natives and then return after a vague period of time and plead for their return citing the aforementioned good works.
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 12th August 2008, 2:12pm) *

More:

Scenario 3:
A new user on WQ with the unusual name of FatVirgin, has started to make perfectly referenced additions regarding the medical necessity to perform vivisection without anesthesia, in experimental animal pain studies. Another user on the English Wikipedia has complained that this is harassment. FatVirgin has offered to change their name to Crum376, FT2Screw, JzzzG, JumboWhale, DavidFUGerard, or Anticipation_of_something_really_large_up_me, getting. Rather than defuse the situation, all of these have caused even more incendiary comment. Question-- how would you all define harassment? And what is this really large thing, being talked about?

Boo, you made me spill my drink.

QUOTE(Robert Roberts @ Tue 12th August 2008, 3:50pm) *

and again - there is another tension with the community. One of the current way of getting rid of people trying to deal with people who have had issues and may currently be banned is to tell them to go to one of the other projects and conduct good works amongst the natives and then return after a vague period of time and plead for their return citing the aforementioned good works.

Some projects, such as Simple Wikipedia, have been less than pleased about being treated as a penal colony for the English Wikipedia. I remember the users there were less than pleased when Iamandrewrice showed up one day.
Milton Roe

That's very Roman Catholic, indeed. Thus, I can't believe the Randroid "community" came up with any such thing, except as default recognition of an ongoing phenomenon, which they might as well acquiesce to, or else get run over by.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 12th August 2008, 6:44pm) *
That's very Roman Catholic, indeed. Thus, I can't believe the Randroid "community" came up with any such thing, except as default recognition of an ongoing phenomenon, which they might as well acquiesce to, or else get run over by.
I have to wonder if that was Ryan Jordan's idea. He was one of Wikipedia's leading scholars on Catholicism, you know.
Gold heart
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 13th August 2008, 12:55am) *

I have to wonder if that was Ryan Jordan's idea. He was one of Wikipedia's leading scholars on Catholicism, you know.

Indeed, Roman Catholicism believes in redemption and forgiveness, and turning over a new leaf. Quite correct.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 12th August 2008, 4:55pm) *

With Ral315 right behind, no doubt.

But don't get me started on the parcel-tongued EssssssssssssJay. And his Slytherin slinking before he lost a Wizard-war on the WP magic machine, and had his wand ceremonially busted.
Lar
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 12th August 2008, 5:34pm) *

QUOTE(Carruthers @ Tue 12th August 2008, 2:17pm) *

Presumably they mean to try to extend this even to non-en. wikis, since they're after COMMONS which is already a polyglot, and not an en. project by any means.

Of course their aim is similar to BADSITES. It just makes en.wiki look bad if they ban somebody, and then that person procedes to go someplace else to another jurisdiction where they can't be extradited or (even worse) shut up, and then is more productive than your average en.WP Kabal member, and (even worse) critical of same. It's almost as though there were out there, fomenting little WR's against the mother en.wp.

And they might say snide things about en.wiki in other languages that you can't read, and other people who read those languages might laugh at en.wiki's expense, and wouldn't that just make all those WMF people die a little, inside? sad.gif

Meh, I don't think that's what this is all about at all. I note Commons is moving forward on policies that will ensure that it will not be unduly influenced by people who are not stakeholders. Cary is a bureaucrat at Commons and participated in the recent Checkuser vote closing, ruling as did other 'crats that people with "few or no contributions" are welcome to share their views but may find that their votes are not counted. That's goodness, in my view.

Rather, I think Cary is trying to highlight why there is an issue here and that something might need to be done about it... surely working through and resolving the contradictions that arise when wikis are masters of their fate (because there are contradictions from time to time) is goodness, if the alternative is to avoid contradiction by forcing wikis to march in lock step.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Tue 12th August 2008, 5:13pm) *

Indeed, Roman Catholicism believes in redemption and forgiveness, and turning over a new leaf. Quite correct.

You mean after they burn you at the stake? Any "turning over" there would be with a rake.

Ah, I forgot-- when the church actually wielded power, it wasn't quite so ah, indulgent, toward those who flaunted its power. That the right word?

It's just as well the Roman Church was defanged by force. Just in time to know what to do with its own errant clergy today. Otherwise, who knows that inquisitions would have resulted... ohmy.gif

Well, maybe not. wink.gif There was a difference between the sins of insiders vs. those of outsiders, even back in 1600.
everyking
QUOTE(Robert Roberts @ Tue 12th August 2008, 11:50pm) *

The idea isn't new--Raul once proposed an ArbCom remedy like that, back in 2004. "In the time [RK] is banned, he will be required to do 'community service' work on Wikibooks on topics exclusively related to biology." It's actually quite disturbing, since the idea is essentially that volunteers can be treated as slaves.
Moulton
From Bastique's talk page on Meta-Wiki...

Moulton's blog

If Moulton were of a mind to remove whatever content is hosted on his blog that is causing it to be unacceptable to link to it, what would he have do to accomplish this? —Random832 17:43, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

I suggest you contact the enwikiversity community to discuss this. Cary Bass demandez 18:55, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

It's a "foundation directive"; I don't see how the community is relevant. —Random832 19:49, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

Where do you see any directive by the Foundation? If you have a problem with the Wikiversity community you need to discuss it with them. Cary Bass demandez 20:15, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

http://en.wikiversity.org/w/index.php?titl...ev&oldid=303375 Edit summary "per foundation directive". —Random832 03:15, 10 August 2008 (UTC)

That edit summary is erroneous. There is no "foundation directive". The English Wikiversity, like every other active project is autonimous. If you want an answer on this, discuss the matter with the individual who performed that edit. Cary Bass demandez 15:58, 11 August 2008 (UTC)

If there is no operative "Foundation directive" and no applicable local policy at Wikiversity, then the links are not in violation of any directive or applicable policy. But in any event, there is no "outting" on them anyway. That's a ridiculous canard ginned up by the person leveling the complaint. Even if there weren applicable policy, it would still be necessary to demonstrate that the complaint is valid. The party lodging the complaint has a long history of such sham acts. —Moulton 23:28, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

one side

Scenario 2 is one sided. Why not ask for an explanation from Moulton and then publish that so people get both sides. As for me, I still don't see the need to out anyone on the Ethics project itself. But BADSITES is a bad and unworkable policy proposal that was rejected by the Wikipedia community. How about a link to a page that contains a link to a page that contains a link to an outing page? It is unworkable and game-able to ban links based on outing at that page. Especially links that are useful for other reasons. Thoughtful, careful, caring assessment of competing values and priorities is appropriate. Unthinking blind adherence to any one value (like not outing) is by definition, unreasonable. WAS 4.250 20:34, 11 August 2008 (UTC)

I emailed the only side I knew: my side in my position as Volunteer Coordinator, which is based on what I've seen and my perceptions of events. It's entirely relevant to the conversation. I doubt either "side" would consider what I said, their side. I would like to stress that foundation-l is an open email list and anyone is free to join and participate in the discussion. Cary Bass demandez 02:35, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

"the only side I knew: my side" Exactly my point. WAS 4.250 13:13, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

Then your point makes no sense. I'm not going to have debates about core values about our project, that I hold, including the right to pseudonymous participation; in which "not outing" is an affront, and I'm not going to lend credibility by participation to a project that I'm increasingly (seven emails overnight from its leader and an unrelated individual from Wikipedia Review to add to that) is nothing more than a platform (despite your own involvement) to give legitimacy to his personal (and pointless) crusade to out English Wikipedia participants with a political leaning that he and most of the world's scientific community and population already don't agree with.Cary Bass demandez 15:46, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

The "unrelated individual from Wikipedia Review" is actually one of the seven people on Wikiversity who signed onto the Ethics project there. I imagine you didn't recognize the name because his E-Mail name differs from his Wikiversity avatar name. The project leader is WAS 4.250, who (as far as I know) doesn't use E-Mail. He initiated the Ethics project, named it, and manages it. I provide a substantial portion of the academically sourced content, much of which is provided to me through my academic connections with the Utah State University School of Journalism and Communications. Regarding the flurry of overnight E-Mails, I would like to reproduce them as part of the Discussion subpage on the ethics project. Do you have any objection to that, Cary? —Moulton 23:21, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

WAS 4.240, I think the key point here is that Cary has raised an issue that we do need to think about... with a community of different wikis, with different norms, how do we reconcile that. How much voice should people have in wikis where they have no activity at all? How do we reconcile the difference in how different wikis get things done? What if that difference impacts people globally? These are all valid questions. Reading too much into exactly who did what to who in a specific instance may not be the best approach. ++Lar: t/c 18:38, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

WAS, I don't think Cary is the potential bad guy here (not saying that Moulton is, either). BADSITES thankfully was killed on en.wiki, but local projects are sovereign of each other and should make all their own local decisions there. If Moulton's blog is a seen as a problem on wikiversity, it should be brought up there, really. rootology (T) 01:31, 13 August 2008 (UTC)
Kelly Martin
I love how Cary declares ex cathedra that Moulton's blog is unacceptable, then insists that that decision was made by a community of which he is not a part. What's truly amazing is how he is trying to copy Jimbo's own bankrupt leadership methods, and yet failing miserably at that. It must suck to be him.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 13th August 2008, 12:07am) *

It must suck to be him.

I concur.
Gold heart
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 13th August 2008, 4:54am) *

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Tue 12th August 2008, 5:13pm) *

You mean after they burn you at the stake? Any "turning over" there would be with a rake.

Ah, I forgot-- when they church actually wielded power, it wasn't quite so ah, indulgent, toward those who flaunted its power. That the right word?

Just like Michael Servetus in Geneva, was tied to a stake and was burned slowly to death, by Calvin. mellow.gif

They were dark times indeed in those days, let's not derail the thread! Me thinks we need another forum! ohmy.gif
JoseClutch
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 12th August 2008, 7:44pm) *

That Jimbo once read a couple of books that're among histories most painful reading does not make the "community" "Randroid".

I am only aware of one editor who would cop to such a charge. I am unsure very many believe anything similar in their hearts (black though they may be wink.gif )
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Wed 13th August 2008, 7:38am) *

That Jimbo once read a couple of books that're among histories most painful reading does not make the "community" "Randroid".

I think that is right. Trying to understand Wikipedia in terms of Mr. Wales' dearly held philosophy (if Objectivism, so called, can even be said to be a philosophy) does not seem to be helpful. Now if he said he was profoundly influenced by Lord of the Flies that would be another matter altogether.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Wed 13th August 2008, 6:58am) *

Just like Michael Servetus in Geneva, was tied to a stake and was burned slowly to death, by Calvin. mellow.gif

They were dark times indeed in those days, let's not derail the thread! Me thinks we need another forum! ohmy.gif

Actually, Servetus wasn't burned by the inquisition, as Calvin was a reformationist. Servatus was burned for his anti-trinity and anti- child baptism theologies. Burning him wasn't Calvin's first choice (he wanted him beheaded) and even that was more of a popular decision that Calvin get's the blame for.

Calvin did burn lots of people, but it was for not leaving Catholicism, usually - rather the opposite of the Inquisition.

You know there is a "Rotisserie Street" in Geneva next to Calvin's Cathedral, right? (shiver)

Jimbo isn't Randian. Claiming to be Randian is his thing. It is a replacement for something. Not sure what. Don't care to speculate.
Moulton
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 14th August 2008, 8:00am) *
I love how Cary declares ex cathedra that Moulton's blog is unacceptable, then insists that that decision was made by a community of which he is not a part. What's truly amazing is how he is trying to copy Jimbo's own bankrupt leadership methods, and yet failing miserably at that. It must suck to be him.
If he didn't fail he wouldn't be accurately copying Mr. Wales' leadership methods.

Cary has bailed out of the loop, erasing my comments on his Meta-Wiki talk page.

I've now heard from yet another very high level person at the WMF Office who is looking for a way to resolve the issue without further heart-pounding maneuvers of Wizard Chess.

As his request, I've endeavoured to "move forward in a spirit of helpfulness".

Update: The aforementioned high-level person who has been corresponding with me has apparently changed his attitude and his tone. His latest missive includes hostile, abusive, and rude comments, along with a sinister anankastic conditional threatening dire consequences.

My counselors are reviewing the situation, and I am awaiting their insight, counsel, and advice on how best to handle this chagrinworthy development.

Second Update: Here is an account of my initial first-hand encounter with Jimbo's leadership methods:

A Perplexing Ethical Conundrum

Third Update:Guy Chapman (User:JzG) showed up on Wikiversity to post a brief comment about the definition of IDCab. Jim Schuler (User:Jim62sch) also showed up to delete references to the Media Ethics Blog and to the MoultonLava Blog. Both posted from their well-known IP addresses, without logging in.
GlassBeadGame

If he didn't fail he wouldn't be accurately copying Mr. Wales' leadership methods.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Wed 13th August 2008, 12:44pm) *

Jimbo isn't Randian. Claiming to be Randian is his thing. It is a replacement for something. Not sure what. Don't care to speculate.

I did not say that he was. Merely that he talks about it (and even then, I am unsure he brings it up unsolicited.)
Milton Roe
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 13th August 2008, 7:09am) *

I think that is right. Trying to understand Wikipedia in terms of Mr. Wales' dearly held philosophy (if Objectivism, so called, can even be said to be a philosophy) does not seem to be helpful. Now if he said he was profoundly influenced by Lord of the Flies that would be another matter altogether.

Trying to understand anybody's behavior in terms of Objectivism per se isn't helpful, since:

1) It's not a coherent philosophy. You can read BPOE (Basic Principles of Objectivist Epistemology, not the Elks club) until you're gray, and I defy you to find anything that will help you think, or make you moral. You'd do better AT the Elk's club. And:

2) Historically Randians themselves (including Rand) acted quite narcissistically, all the time. All they did was do whatever the hell they wanted, and then claim they were acting according to their "deepest values," with narcissism re-labeled as "egoism," which they are unappologetically in favor of, in the manner of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche.

Rand claimed some kind of reconstruction of proper emotion from first philosophical principles (i.e., need for life), but never showed much sign of doing that. And if she had Spock-like been able to make her way through the world by the idea of survival plus logic-alone, would still not have been much help for us humans. Luckily, she didn't, so we don't have to worry about emulation. tongue.gif

To understand Jimbo, you need to understand that he's basically a narcissist, like Rand. These are children who don't grow up. They see the world with them at the center; it's all about meeee. They overvalue other people, at first, then discard them when they cease to be of use. They leave trails of discarded projects and discarded people in their quest to be Kings and Queens. Sometimes in the process of this, they can do great things. They can even be charming, if this helps. For example: I'm more or less convinced after much biographical study that FDR was a narcissist; more or less manipulative, self-centered, and cold at the core, but outwardly a wonderful politician. And he did some good things. We wouldn't have very many adult narcissists if as a trait it was ruthlessly selected-against. Alas, it isn't. Such people, if focused, work their way up power structures all the time. They can be CEOs. They can act, direct, AND produce. dry.gif

But attraction to Rand is important for what it says about the person who is a "Randian". It isn't what people get from Rand that is important: the important marker is when people are still attracted to Rand after about age 25, when their brains are fully myelinated, and they are in no sense any longer children. It's then that you should begin to worry about them.

What does Objectivism do? Not much but give narcissists another reason to feel good about themselves. smile.gif But the world is not highly in need of that.

MR
Moulton
The most important thing to say about the character of Ayn Rand is that she lacked the character of Nathaniel Branden.
dtobias
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 17th August 2008, 6:53am) *

The most important thing to say about the character of Ayn Rand is that she lacked the character of Nathaniel Branden.

But, in official Objectivist/Randroid circles, Branden is a "banned user"... er, "excommunicated person". Are you committing the cardinal sin of proxying for him?

----------------
Now playing: Carly Simon - Coming Around Again/Itsy Bitsy Spider
via FoxyTunes
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 17th August 2008, 6:53am) *

Bleh, he's just one more discarded person after he dumped Rand and she had no further use for him. And his wife, too, who wrote a winsome book about the sordid affair (which was literally that, inasmuch as Rand's milquetoast husband knew about it and was drinking himself to death). Then, after excommunication, Branden woke up. Big frigging deal.

Branden became a "banned user" (also literally), and later, when Peikoff took over after Rand's death, people like David Kelly were similarly banned for failing to toe the party line.

As for Peikoff, I always thought of him as the Molotov or maybe Beria of the Rand movement. If she's lived, he would have been discarded, too. But he got lucky.
Moulton
Bass Notes

Coupla items to report in regard to the subject matter of this thread...

As astute readers may recall, Cary Bass recently posted on Foundation-l a pair of "scenarios" which closely resembled two liminal social dramas which were currently underway, without actually identifying the involved parties by name.

I now have a similar situation in which I am obliged to post two new liminal social dramas in the same thinly disguised manner.

In both cases, the "scenarios" take place in E-mail, which precludes me from posting them on Wikiversity as Case Studies with named principals.

In both cases, the principals have cut off further E-Mail dialogue, and have not given me express permission to post the contents of their E-Mails in the forthcoming Case Studies.

And so I'll have to post them as "scenarios" in the context of Fyodor Dostoevesky crafting a chapter of Brothers Kamazov.

In the meantime, an intermediary on Wikiversity has offered to act as a go-between in my arrested discussions with Jimbo Wales. His condition for playing that role was the (temporary) removal from the Media Ethics Blog of the portion that discloses the contents of Jimbo's troubling E-Mail to me.

And so, I've redacted the blog post on A Perplexing Ethical Conundrum so that it only quotes from a single message from me to Jimbo, providing to him the list of articles on the English Language Wikipedia that have been most problematic for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.