Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wet floor sign
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Eva Destruction
I know it's a couple of months old now, but this is the best hoax ever. C'mon, who was it?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 12th August 2008, 2:25pm) *

I know it's a couple of months old now, but this is the best hoax ever. C'mon, who was it?

Someone with a very dry sense of humor.
ThurstonHowell3rd
The consensus was the article should be kept.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Tue 12th August 2008, 10:49pm) *

The version they kept wasn't as amusing, though.
Carruthers
QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Tue 12th August 2008, 9:49pm) *

I'm jealous: I really wish that I had written the good version of that article. Whoever did that is a genius...
It's the blimp, Frank
I think that User:Pop Art Practitioner is taking his cues from this board.
thekohser
And once again, we see a Wikipedian blissfully allowed to promote a Wikia, Inc. alternate site for content considered questionable on WP.

In contrast, when another user suggested that people come to a site that I happened to be marketing, they were quite nearly banned.

More hypocrisy in the Wikia/Wikipedia/WMF cult -- it's okay to use the non-profit space to promote Wikia; it's practically a block-worthy offense to promote a similar non-Wikia site.

It's all about Der Jimbo. And he cries that I'm stalking him. Waaah waaah waaahhh!
The Joy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 13th August 2008, 9:47pm) *

And once again, we see a Wikipedian blissfully allowed to promote a Wikia, Inc. alternate site for content considered questionable on WP.

In contrast, when another user suggested that people come to a site that I happened to be marketing, they were quite nearly banned.

More hypocrisy in the Wikia/Wikipedia/WMF cult -- it's okay to use the non-profit space to promote Wikia; it's practically a block-worthy offense to promote a similar non-Wikia site.

It's all about Der Jimbo. And he cries that I'm stalking him. Waaah waaah waaahhh!

Uncyclopedia may be legally owned by Wikia, but I never thought of it as a Wikia site, even now. I think it becoming a Wikia site has contributed to the lull in Uncyclopedia. I once contributed to a wiki that was bought by Wikia and they deleted my contributions during the migration to their servers! It's as if I never existed. I'm sure that would never happen on Wikipedia Review. wink.gif

Still, that has to be one of the best articles I've seen on WP and it's a shame it was stubbed.
LaraLove
It is believed that wet-floor signs were first used (albeit with far less beauty and style) at the dawn of the Floor Age. As soon as floors were introduced in Roman times, it is likely that they began getting wet–whether caused by water, vomit, urine, or any other liquid. It was only a matter of time before it was understood that a sign would prevent a pedestrian from slipping on the wet floor. Historians of the Roman period point to the introduction of wet floor signs (approximately 220 B.C.) as one of the main causes of the decreased rate of ankle-sprains among Romans, thus allowing the Republic to expand into an empire with its far larger healthy population.

Brilliant.
darbyl
Good lord, the "approved" version of that page reads like a sixth grader's book report.
Disillusioned Lackey
My favorite line from the original:

As soon as floors were introduced in Roman times, it is likely that they began getting wet–whether caused by water, vomit, urine, or any other liquid. It was only a matter of time before it was understood that a sign would prevent a pedestrian from slipping on the wet floor

The fact that this page was kept was a tribute to the idiocy of the Wikipedia debating system.

I now am inspired to write about: Wallpaper. Wall to wall carpet. Throw rugs. Window shades (there's actually whole chat boards devoted to Window Shades - I kid you not, though I sure as hell don't belong to them), vinyl drawer lining, inside-closet-door-handles, and fold-out chairs.
Disillusioned Lackey
The real winner for pranks belongs to the Kohser-joke on the Nadezhda Durova page, which lasted for half a year.

Durova's descendants seem to have inherited her talent for consorting with animals. Nadezhda's great-grandsons Vladimir and Anatoly Durov were the famous Russian circus animal trainers and founders of the ''Durov Animal Theater'' in Moscow. Currently the Theater is run by another descendant of Nadezhda, Natalia Durova.

Guess who that was a swipe at? rolleyes.gif

It was washing through mirror sites for another six months to follow.
Anonymous editor
I like the part where it says that the languages on the sign are to indicate the different languages of the floor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.