Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An MSM article with a shred of truth about WP's "operations".
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
EricBarbour
Wikimedia pegs future on education, not profit

This should go in the Media forum, although I would like to point to this quote:

"Ed Chi of the Palo Alto Research Center is the creator of WikiDashboard, a social dynamic analysis tool created independently of the foundation that allows readers to analyze all of the edits made by their peers. In October, Chi discovered a huge drop-off in the number of edits, to the point that 1 percent of editors were editing 50 percent of the content. While Wikipedia remains strong in page views and overall ranking, Chi said the waning interest among editors does not bode well for the site or community.

"The edits have leveled off and remained steady," Chi said. "We don't yet know a reason for the decline, but we suspect it is due not to the wisdom of crowds but to the increased level of conflict among community members. Often it is not the one with the right answer who has their say, but the one who sticks around the longest and is best able to argue his case." "

That's a rather substantial admission. It tends to denigrate the effectiveness of WP admins. Why did edits drop off--other than because people are disgruntled with the admins?

It's old news, and yet here it is on the front page of today's San Francisco Chronicle.

Eva Destruction
No strong opinion on what's causing the general fall in numbers, although I'd be more inclined to pin "there are fewer obvious things for a non-expert to fix" as the primary reason. But the "1% of editors make 50% of the contributions" is purely down to the fact that that 1% are the ones who run bots or automated tools. (Unless you think these guys have actually made 100,000+ edits each manually).
ThurstonHowell3rd
Only a small number of the general public are qualified to edit most encyclopaedia articles.

I think part of the problem is once an article has been substantially written there will be a number of editors "defending" the article. It is very difficult for new editors who don't know the policies to make any changes to an article which is being defended. New editors will thereby become quickly frustrated and leave.
Casliber
Regarding experts, one could probably add that many so qualified are rather short on free time. Certainly many I know are...which is one reason I do not see a prolific future for many of the expert-only encyclopedias. Possibly somehwat easier to come in after and clean up a well-meaning early page rather than start one from scratch (though not always)
Dzonatas
The sum of human knowledge is best left to a qualified few? There was a statement somewhere, on his talk page, that Jimmy made that asserts otherwise.
Gold heart
QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 25th August 2008, 12:09am) *

Regarding experts, one could probably add that many so qualified are rather short on free time. Certainly many I know are...which is one reason I do not see a prolific future for many of the expert-only encyclopedias. Possibly somehwat easier to come in after and clean up a well-meaning early page rather than start one from scratch (though not always)

I am afraid the throllers and barnbots have taken over Wikipedia, and many of the good, and self-respecting editors have left the scene. Checkuser has become the latest entertainment on WP, next comes "indef blocks" followed by indef discussions on ANI is the next form of entertainment. Can anyone tell me this, "would an educated, knowledgeable, self-respecting remain involved in this circus called Wikipedia?". Nay, they'll stay a few months, then get abused, then threatened by admins, and then their editing usually fades away, and the monkeys keep running the show. Wikipedia has benefited from those ex-editors.

If Wikipedia had been invented by scientists, it would have been tested on monkeys first. Sadly the people who started it did not do the proper test models.
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Sun 24th August 2008, 6:35pm) *

If Wikipedia had been invented by scientists, it would have been tested on monkeys first. Sadly the people who started it did not do the proper test models.

Has any form of government been properly, scientifically tested?
Gold heart
QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Mon 25th August 2008, 2:46am) *

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Sun 24th August 2008, 6:35pm) *

Has any form of government been properly, scientifically tested?

Yups, we had old models to learn from, but unfortunately that wasn't the case with Wikipedia, it's heading toward maximum entropy. It can still be redeemed with some commitment.!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.